PDA

View Full Version : Where should I look for business premises in Tenerife?

adamgregory
25-11-2012, 15:06
Hello fellow expats, my fiance has been offered a full time teaching position in a high school teaching science. I am now wondering if anybody knows if there is a website where i can look at buying a business to turn into a barber shop, ive seen the websites that sell ready made business' im not looking for those, im looking for empty units for sale or rent. Im not really interested in buying a business thats already up and running as in my opinion they are for sale for a reason lol anyways if anybody can help and give me any info on where to find these empty units i would greatly appreciate it..... There must be some!!!!

cheers Grego :)

golf birdie
25-11-2012, 15:11
Hello fellow expats, my fiance has been offered a full time teaching position in a high school teaching science. I am now wondering if anybody knows if there is a website where i can look at buying a business to turn into a barber shop, ive seen the websites that sell ready made business' im not looking for those, im looking for empty units for sale or rent. Im not really interested in buying a business thats already up and running as in my opinion they are for sale for a reason lol anyways if anybody can help and give me any info on where to find these empty units i would greatly appreciate it..... There must be some!!!!

it may work out a lot cheaper to buy a ready made business as starting a business from scatch can cost a fair amount.

KirstyJay
25-11-2012, 15:32

I would suggest waiting until you are here and looking around, as there are many empty business premises or 'locals' as they are known. You can often get a better deal if you speak directly to owners and offer, for example, 6 months rent up front in return for a lower price. You really need to figure out which area would be best for your business - whether you need something front-line, etc etc. This will all effect the price. Many premises are way over-priced at the moment, so you really need to shop around and you can't do that well from a chair in front of your PC in the UK and a net connection. It's asking for trouble.

Always make sure that whatever local you look at you factor in the cost of getting an opening licence, the IGIC at 21% that you'll have to pay on top of the rental price and the insurance and basura (bins) that you'll have to pay. This is all worked out on the square metreage of the local, so varies, but if you estimate 80€ per 3 months for basura, 100€ for opening licence and about 5-600€ per year for insurance on a 100m2(ish) local.

Also, not all locals are legal, so before you commit to one, make sure you check out it's status with the Town Hall. There's a fee of about 50€ to do this.

tracy hampshire
25-11-2012, 15:33
try milanuncias, they advertise all kinds of properties direct from the owners.

KirstyJay
25-11-2012, 15:37
try milanuncias, they advertise all kinds of properties direct from the owners.Yes, also www.idealista.com and www.servihabitat.com are good, but even on those sites, we found there to be about 5 times more available premises if you actually walk the streets and you can get a much better deal too. :)

adamgregory
25-11-2012, 15:44
Hi guys thanks for the hasty reply.... I would ideally want to buy a premisise in the los christianos or las americas area, Ive heard that business is tough so i anticipated there would probably be some bargains around... I hadnt anticipated all the additional overheads but thanks for that info, i shouldnt need a arge premisise as im hoping to open a small barber shop, couple of cutting stations a desk and a couch to wait on... so wouldnt have to be massive... i imagined that rents would be quite high thats why im going to try to buy out right, any rough ideas of what a small premisise would cost to buy in these areas

Grego

KirstyJay
25-11-2012, 16:58
, any rough ideas of what a small premisise would cost to buy in these areas

Grego
That's like asking how long is a piece of string. Lol. Prices can vary a lot. Have a search on the sites already mentioned. That should give you an idea. :)

bonitatime
26-11-2012, 09:42
The 21% is property tax and should come out of the rent as a deduction. That said we rent one where is does and one where we pay it extra.
But as Kirsty says there is nothing like being here. Had you thought about renting a chair in a hairdressers rather than starting on your own. The advantage would be its within someone else's setup and you would have less paperwork complications.

bonitatime
26-11-2012, 09:43
Buying business premises is still very very expensive

CIM
26-11-2012, 14:04
It doesn't have to be expensive if you shop around. I have a well positioned locale in Los Cristianos - popular area with plenty of footfall. Has a decent amount of space inside and a large terrace on the front. Priced at 60,000€ which is peanuts for a good locale...

My opinion on setting up a business is to start from scratch. Most of the businesses advertised for sale are priced on a pack of lies with fake or no accounts, the reason for selling is always illness (if you can call losing money hand over fist an illness :) )

IŽd sooner do it myself than buy someone elses ready made mess. Looking at some of the prices, how much would you really expect the profits to be on something priced at 12,000€ for example??! Usually it is just an owner trying to get as much of their money back as possible after realising the business simply doesnt work.