PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Will Amazon UK deliver to Tenerife?

Suej
27-11-2012, 11:38
I have done a search but cannot find the information I am looking for! Does anyone order regularly from Amazon.co.uk? I want to order an electrical household item weighing about 3 kilos to be sent here but am worried in case I won't receive it! I have looked on their website but it says nothing about shipping to the Canary Islands just Spain! Am I taking a risk ordering and omitting "Tenerife" or "Canary Islands" in the address? I looked on the Spanish Amazon but they don't have the item I want! any feedback appreciated please a.s.a.p.:wave:

anegib
27-11-2012, 11:42
Yes they do I bought a vacuum cleaner from them and was delivered here okay.

canarybird
27-11-2012, 11:46
I often order from Amazon UK and have never had to pay duty either on things. They are delivered to the door as well.
However my things are usually clothes or books, so haven't ordered anything electrical.

Fill out your online order and after giving all your details, credit card etc. you will get a notice from them on the last page telling you in the case they won't ship that item to Canaries. A shame they won't say that earlier, but they will let you know on the last page.

gazza
27-11-2012, 11:47
Yes i have used them also and received my goods within 5 days, BUT it was intercepted at customs and i had to pay additional import duties

golf birdie
27-11-2012, 11:56
almost anythig from ''Amazon'' will be sent here. If it comes from a ''market place trader'' who use Amazon as a selling tool it may not. The VAT will also be taken off at the checkout stage and items over 25 pound will 99% of the time have free delivery.

Suej
27-11-2012, 11:58
Thanks for the speedy replies! I just didn't want my item stuck somewhere or have to go to Santa Cruz to collect etc... As long as it is hassle free I'll give it a try! I don't mind if I have to pay some duty on it this end as it is something I cannot find here! The good thing about this item (hand held mains vacuum cleaner) is that it says on Amazon that it is eligible for Super Saver free to delivery to Europe! Fingers crossed!!!:pray:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Yes i have used them also and received my goods within 5 days, BUT it was intercepted at customs and i had to pay additional import duties

Was it delivered to your home though gazza?

gazza
27-11-2012, 12:16
Yes it was almost delivered to home, it was held at my local post office ( los Abrigos)and i paid ( the duty ) and collected my item from there. ps i have had stuff through that has not been intercepted, so is a bit hit and miss with the extra duty, i would suggest have money aside just in case customs do stop it

Vortex Wake
27-11-2012, 12:17
almost anythig from ''Amazon'' will be sent here. If it comes from a ''market place trader'' who use Amazon as a selling tool it may not. The VAT will also be taken off at the checkout stage and items over 25 pound will 99% of the time have free delivery.

This is a very good point :)

Amazon is 2 distinct operations :

1 / Amazon 'market goods' ( like eBay third party sellers) .

2 / Amazon (stocked and despatch by the Amazon company).

Suej
27-11-2012, 13:14
This is a very good point :)

Amazon is 2 distinct operations :

1 / Amazon 'market goods' ( like eBay third party sellers) .

2 / Amazon (stocked and despatch by the Amazon company).

I have just looked on Amazon again and it looks like I might be in luck! the item I want to order is sold and dispatched by Amazon.co.uk! and is eligible for Super Saver free postage in Europe as it is over £25!

Thanks to everyone! Order processed and is being sent from Amazon.EU. no delivery charges nd the VAT has been deducted! without the feedback from you guys I'm not so sure I would have risked ordering! Thanks!!!:tiphat:

Megaloo
27-11-2012, 13:45
I also use Amazon UK a lot and have had no trouble but I have not ordered any electrical goods other than a wireless router.
I always leave out the Canaries on the address and just put Tenerife Spain, A friend of mine had something go to the Cayman Isles instead of here.?:redcard:

cainaries
27-11-2012, 14:13
Some friends of mine ordered a toaster and a kettle from Amazon UK recently. They've ordered all sorts of things from Amazon and never had trouble before. However, these got stuck in the importing system and they had to fax copies of their NIEs and all sorts of bother. I think it is quite random.

However, I also suspect the closer it gets to Christmas the more vigilant the authorities become in the hope of scooping up some extra revenue.

Madre
27-11-2012, 15:18
We ordered some grass seed a couple of weeks ago no problem delivered to the door no charge, but then ordered some more and it got stopped and we had to send email of NIE etc it did get here a few days later but we had to pay 12.35 to customs (set amount) and .86 IGIC total to pay on delivery 14.20.

Suej
27-11-2012, 16:08
Thanks Megaloo! I just used Arona and postcode and then Santa Cruz de Tenerife which is the correct way I believe! and then just Added Spain! I'll confirm delivery so it might put others at ease who may have been worried about ordering! :D

Some friends of mine ordered a toaster and a kettle from Amazon UK recently. They've ordered all sorts of things from Amazon and never had trouble before. However, these got stuck in the importing system and they had to fax copies of their NIEs and all sorts of bother. I think it is quite random.

However, I also suspect the closer it gets to Christmas the more vigilant the authorities become in the hope of scooping up some extra revenue.

As long as I get it C I'm not bothered! What will be will be! :D

cainaries
27-11-2012, 20:33
Thanks Megaloo! I just used Arona and postcode and then Santa Cruz de Tenerife which is the correct way I believe! and then just Added Spain! I'll confirm delivery so it might put others at ease who may have been worried about ordering! :D

As long as I get it C I'm not bothered! What will be will be! :D

And your house will be spotless, Suej!

Suej
28-11-2012, 18:57
I've had confirmation that my item from Amazon is being sent by UPS!!! I didn't think they delivered to Tenerife!eek2: anyone know? or had Amazon deliveries from them?

golf birdie
28-11-2012, 19:16
I've had confirmation that my item from Amazon is being sent by UPS!!! I didn't think they delivered to Tenerife!eek2: anyone know? or had Amazon deliveries from them?

yes they do and if you have a tracking number the chances are you will have a charge to pay when you get the item. Don't pay much attention to the tracking info as I had something 2 weeks ago and it is still showing ''in transit'':cheeky:

Suej
28-11-2012, 19:39
yes they do and if you have a tracking number the chances are you will have a charge to pay when you get the item. Don't pay much attention to the tracking info as I had something 2 weeks ago and it is still showing ''in transit'':cheeky:T

Thank GB! the item weighs 3 kilos! Amazon say it's eligible for free Super saver delivery I don't think I should then be charged! Depends what the charge is!???

golf birdie
28-11-2012, 19:44
T

Thank GB! the item weighs 3 kilos! Amazon say it's eligible for free Super saver delivery I don't think I should then be charged! Depends what the charge is!???

If none is due they will make one up. They just put a lot of letters and a number after them and thats what you pay:lol:. If it works out less than the 20% VAT you saved you will still be quids in.

kiwiphil
28-11-2012, 20:28
Hi,

When Amazon deliver to the door, are they using Correos or a courier? The reason for asking is that Correos won't deliver to our apartment as the community building is not officially recognised - we have to go to the post office to get our mail.

canarybird
28-11-2012, 21:11
When I get parcels from Amazon UK they're delivered by the small yellow van from Correos.

Suej
28-11-2012, 21:14
If none is due they will make one up. They just put a lot of letters and a number after them and thats what you pay:lol:. If it works out less than the 20% VAT you saved you will still be quids in.

I will not be at all happy if Amazon have told me that it is free delivery to find out that in fact it isn't! I certainly don't mind paying the equivalent of the VAT in the least but no more than that! Thanks for the warning golf birdie!

When I get parcels from Amazon UK they're delivered by the small yellow van from Correos.

The confirmation says it has been dispatched and being sent by UPS so doubt whether it will arrive by Correos CB! I'll have to wait and see I suppose! :wink2:

golf birdie
28-11-2012, 21:21
I will not be at all happy if Amazon have told me that it is free delivery to find out that in fact it isn't! I certainly don't mind paying the equivalent of the VAT but no more than that! Thanks for the warning golf birdie!
:

it is free delivery but sometimes you get charged IGIC and they charge you for charging IGIC, I think its about 12€ something. I had one item where the tax was 48 cents and the charge was about 13€. I swear they make it up.

Suej
28-11-2012, 21:25
it is free delivery but sometimes you get charged IGIC and they charge you for charging IGIC, I think its about 12€ something. I had one item where the tax was 48 cents and the charge was about 13€. I swear they make it up.

:lol::lol::lol: I'll let you know when it arrives!

cainaries
28-11-2012, 21:42
Oh, dear, Suej, oh dear. Do let us know if it arrives! What estimated delivery date did they give you?

If you go back to that long-ago famous Kindle thread someone very knowledgeable on there did explain that none of those big courier companies really operate in the Canary Islands and that it is all handed on to third, fourth or even fifth parties.

It could be that your parcel will arrive tomorrow. What does the UPS website tell you?

A tip. I printed out the information from their website and timed and dated the printout. This is because the data back-tracked on itself. So one day it would say it was in Tenerife and then suddenly it would go back to Madrid!

What an old misery I am. Bet it will arrive in no time and you'll be wondering what on earth I was on about.

Suej
28-11-2012, 23:03
Oh, dear, Suej, oh dear. Do let us know if it arrives! What estimated delivery date did they give you?

If you go back to that long-ago famous Kindle thread someone very knowledgeable on there did explain that none of those big courier companies really operate in the Canary Islands and that it is all handed on to third, fourth or even fifth parties.

It could be that your parcel will arrive tomorrow. What does the UPS website tell you?

A tip. I printed out the information from their website and timed and dated the printout. This is because the data back-tracked on itself. So one day it would say it was in Tenerife and then suddenly it would go back to Madrid!

What an old misery I am. Bet it will arrive in no time and you'll be wondering what on earth I was on about.

Awww thanks hon! I will have to accept the charges even if they are higher than expected and then try and make a claim against Amazon! I asked my neighbour and he says he thinks that UPS do operate here in Tenerife! Watch this space!:wave:

PS.The date UPS give for delivery is by end of the day on 3rd December!

cainaries
29-11-2012, 10:26
Awww thanks hon! I will have to accept the charges even if they are higher than expected and then try and make a claim against Amazon! I asked my neighbour and he says he thinks that UPS do operate here in Tenerife! Watch this space!:wave:

PS.The date UPS give for delivery is by end of the day on 3rd December!

Hope it works out! In the meantime I was just reading up about the Kindle Fire HD and now I really really want one of those. Christmas is coming, after all. But I don't want to go through all that Kindle ordering and not receiving saga all over again! Perhaps I should check out Amazon Spain.

Pooh
29-11-2012, 10:39
We've ordered things from Amazon.co.uk at least 50 times since moving here, both "Amazon" and Marketplace, and never had any issues, really.
"Amazon" if to prefer since they take the UK VAT off automatically - the marketplace companies usually won't do it even when asked.
They've been delivered by correos and all kinds of couriers. With the couriers you may have to pay duty - seems to be almost every time. With correos normally not. Only time I had to pay duty when correos delivered, it was a MacBook and a Phone, addressed to my Company here.

But in some cases the duty can come of quite a lot, Amazon or not... recently my wife ordered 2 balls of yarn from a company in France... 5 Euros each, 10 total. Freight was 17 Euros! On top of that, on arrival, the duty was 13 Euros! Total 50 Euros for 2 balls of yarn, which originally cost 10!
So it's sometimes expensive to live here, when getting things not possible to buy locally...

davship
29-11-2012, 11:11
I have done a search but cannot find the information I am looking for! Does anyone order regularly from Amazon.co.uk? I want to order an electrical household item weighing about 3 kilos to be sent here but am worried in case I won't receive it! I have looked on their website but it says nothing about shipping to the Canary Islands just Spain! Am I taking a risk ordering and omitting "Tenerife" or "Canary Islands" in the address? I looked on the Spanish Amazon but they don't have the item I want! any feedback appreciated please a.s.a.p.:wave:

Just speaking to a man in work and he ordered 6 CD's fromt he same company. Because they sent all 6 out in the same packaging he got charged tax. Whereas if he would have ordered them individually and received them in 6 seperate packages the tax wouldnt have been charged!!

Dont know if this is any help.

Suej
29-11-2012, 11:13
We've ordered things from Amazon.co.uk at least 50 times since moving here, both "Amazon" and Marketplace, and never had any issues, really.
"Amazon" if to prefer since they take the UK VAT off automatically - the marketplace companies usually won't do it even when asked.
They've been delivered by correos and all kinds of couriers. With the couriers you may have to pay duty - seems to be almost every time. With correos normally not. Only time I had to pay duty when correos delivered, it was a MacBook and a Phone, addressed to my Company here.

But in some cases the duty can come of quite a lot, Amazon or not... recently my wife ordered 2 balls of yarn from a company in France... 5 Euros each, 10 total. Freight was 17 Euros! On top of that, on arrival, the duty was 13 Euros! Total 50 Euros for 2 balls of yarn, which originally cost 10!
So it's sometimes expensive to live here, when getting things not possible to buy locally...

What I can't understand is why Amazon quoted that this item was "Free super saver delivery to Europe" should we just swallow these charges or claim them back from Amazon? It's the principle of it! Was this yarn advertised with Free delivery?

Hope it works out! In the meantime I was just reading up about the Kindle Fire HD and now I really really want one of those. Christmas is coming, after all. But I don't want to go through all that Kindle ordering and not receiving saga all over again! Perhaps I should check out Amazon Spain.

I heard the Nexus 7 tablet is better than the Kindle fire HD Cainaries! check it out!
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57507776-251/kindle-fire-hd-vs-nexus-7-which-one-is-right-for-you/

Pooh
29-11-2012, 12:24
What I can't understand is why Amazon quoted that this item was "Free super saver delivery to Europe" should we just swallow these charges or claim them back from Amazon? It's the principle of it! Was this yarn advertised with Free delivery?

No the yarn wasn't with free delivery.

But the charges taken here, on arrival by the courier or correos, those aren't freight charges - it's duty and IGIC debited by the Canarian Government. They aren't debited by Amazon, and Amazon don't benefit from them.
You pay less duty if there are no freight charges, since the duty is on the whole sum, both the cost of the item, and the freight charges.

This works the same as if you were in the UK, and ordered something from outside EU. Then you'd normally had to pay UK Duty and VAT on the cost, since it's imported from outside the "free market".

Suej
29-11-2012, 12:36
Thanks Pooh! As you say if you can't get something here sometimes you just have to cut your losses! it would just be nice to know in advance exactly what charges will be added! :D

Oberon
29-11-2012, 14:30
I always leave out the Canaries on the address and just put Tenerife Spain, A friend of mine had something go to the Cayman Isles instead of here.?:redcard:This is wise. I have had this happen and have heard of two other occasions. It can take up to six months for the parcel to be sent back from the Cayman Islands and usually the Post Office (UK) will have paid out any compensation by then.

The reason this happens is that most of the addresses in the UK are read by machine.
The Canary Islands isn't a normal part of the address, the correct address in Spanish is "S/C de Tenerife", or in English "Tenerife, Spain". So the poor machine finds the Cayman Islands to be the closest match.
They'll fix it one day. But in the meantime I recommend getting something like a video camera sent over, insure it, put Canary Islands in the address, claim the compensation, collect the money, then wait a few months for the original to be returned from the Cayman islands (to the UK senders address).:cheeky: ... it works.

We ordered some grass seed a couple of weeks ago no problem delivered to the door no charge, but then ordered some more and it got stopped and we had to send email of NIE etc it did get here a few days later but we had to pay 12.35 to customs (set amount) and .86 IGIC total to pay on delivery 14.20.I think you will find that the 12€ is not customs. That is the set price that the post office (Correos) charge for processing the collection of the tax, which in your case was 86 cents. They would charge the same 12€ to process a payment of 50€ IGIC.
Sometimes they charge 12€ for processing the IGIC tax on something that costs considerably less than 12€ and obviously they do it as much as they can.

cainaries
29-11-2012, 21:00
Just speaking to a man in work and he ordered 6 CD's fromt he same company. Because they sent all 6 out in the same packaging he got charged tax. Whereas if he would have ordered them individually and received them in 6 seperate packages the tax wouldnt have been charged!!

Dont know if this is any help.

Totally off topic but may be the number 6 is significant. We brought 6 cats with us from the UK. All neutered. We hit a major barrier with the customs people in Tenerife South Airport who kept saying '5 are pets, 6 are a business' and we kept saying 'They Are Neutered'.

PS to Suej. Having read the comparison between the Kindle Fire and the Nexus, I would still definitely want the Kindle. But, on checking Amazon.es, there are NO films. Comments from buyers about how pathetic that is. Buy it in Spain, no films, buy it in the UK, possibility of 22,000 films! Time the Lawyers sorted all these publication rights out.

davship
30-11-2012, 09:52
Totally off topic but may be the number 6 is significant. We brought 6 cats with us from the UK. All neutered. We hit a major barrier with the customs people in Tenerife South Airport who kept saying '5 are pets, 6 are a business' and we kept saying 'They Are Neutered'.

PS to Suej. Having read the comparison between the Kindle Fire and the Nexus, I would still definitely want the Kindle. But, on checking Amazon.es, there are NO films. Comments from buyers about how pathetic that is. Buy it in Spain, no films, buy it in the UK, possibility of 22,000 films! Time the Lawyers sorted all these publication rights out.

PLease explain why this is "OFF TOPIC "i thought that was when you couldnt have a 1970's chocolate bar!!

Suej
30-11-2012, 16:58
Received my parcel this morning by Courier! duty was 24€ considering I didn't pay the 10 quid VAT in UK I think I've done really well! got it in 4 days!

:D

cainaries
30-11-2012, 17:36
Received my parcel this morning by Courier! duty was 24€ considering I didn't pay the 10 quid VAT in UK I think I've done really well! got it in 4 days!

:D

Very quick, Suej! How clean is your house now?!?