PDA

View Full Version : Relocation After Much Faffing about

Taylor
27-11-2012, 18:32
At last everything done and dusted....become an offical Expat in January. After much chopping and Changing and thanks to Michelle and Stuart at Propertiesareus fixed me up with a place on Las Carabellas.

Excited I am.....but two questions! anyone ever shipped a Computer over from the UK. I have a very expensive Full Tower desktop which I have just upgraded to super computer status. Need to ship it over. Anyone with experience in doing something similar?

As I do a fair whack of web development anyone know what kind of ADSL speeds are expected in the Torviscas area....any info would be appreciated. Hopefully msee and meet some of you when I get out there!!

YOUNG GOLFER
27-11-2012, 18:45
Hi this is from my office in Las Carabelas.......

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2335507404.png

junglejim
27-11-2012, 18:55
You are just down hill from me -I get 5mbs down and 0.5mbs upload on a contract of "up to 10mbs" .

Taylor
27-11-2012, 19:00
Hi this is from my office in Las Carabelas.......

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2335507404.png

Great that answers that question! Cheers for that!!!:tiphat:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

You are just down hill from me -I get 5mbs down and 0.5mbs upload on a contract of "up to 10mbs" .

Thanks Junglejim well guess it aint the worst!!!!

YOUNG GOLFER
27-11-2012, 19:16
Forgot to say thanks for the kind words.....I am Stuart by the way.

Taylor
27-11-2012, 19:21
Forgot to say thanks for the kind words.....I am Stuart by the way.

Kinda figured that Stuart lol, too shy to ask....saw the wee addy at the bottom of your post...your welcome... just thrown life into Chaos a month earlier than expected though lol......really liked the complex quiet, or open the front gate and 5 mins from Mayhem!! Think it was destined to be.....timing was so funny the way its worked out.

TenerifeTeddy
27-11-2012, 20:27
At last everything done and dusted....become an offical Expat in January. After much chopping and Changing and thanks to Michelle and Stuart at Propertiesareus fixed me up with a place on Las Carabellas.

Excited I am.....but two questions! anyone ever shipped a Computer over from the UK. I have a very expensive Full Tower desktop which I have just upgraded to super computer status. Need to ship it over. Anyone with experience in doing something similar?

As I do a fair whack of web development anyone know what kind of ADSL speeds are expected in the Torviscas area....any info would be appreciated. Hopefully msee and meet some of you when I get out there!!

Regarding shipping your PC over, I would remove any hard disks and bring them with you In January in your hand baggage suitably protected, other than that, make sure the PC is properly packaged with lots of space from the outer packaging to the PC itself filled with bubble wrap or proper formed polystyrene so it cant move about.

About 2 years ago I ordered €3000 of parts from the UK to build a really high end PC for a client. The parts arrived in 2 very large boxes, being turned end over end all the way from the petit Correos lady's car to our Local probably 50m distance:nono::redcard:. I was horrified, but everything survived.:redcard: I had heard the thunk - thunk - thunk getting closer, but had no idea what it was until she arrived in our doorway:doh:

chifleta
27-11-2012, 21:02
Great that answers that question! Cheers for that!!!:tiphat:

Thanks Junglejim well guess it aint the worst!!!!

definately not the worse, that's in the village where i'm at.... 3.46mbs just now, and that's actually nice and fast LOL welcome to the Reef :)

Taylor
27-11-2012, 21:24
definately not the worse, that's in the village where i'm at.... 3.46mbs just now, and that's actually nice and fast LOL welcome to the Reef :)

Cheers Chifleta lol thanks for the welcome....been a long and winding road to eventually land here........wont miss the UK weather..... saying that my Job takes me to warmer climates 6 months of the year in anycase... currently in 35deg High Humidity of Costa Rica....phew!

Regarding shipping your PC over, I would remove any hard disks and bring them with you In January in your hand baggage suitably protected, other than that, make sure the PC is properly packaged with lots of space from the outer packaging to the PC itself filled with bubble wrap or proper formed polystyrene so it cant move about.

About 2 years ago I ordered €3000 of parts from the UK to build a really high end PC for a client. The parts arrived in 2 very large boxes, being turned end over end all the way from the petit Correos lady's car to our Local probably 50m distance:nono::redcard:. I was horrified, but everything survived.:redcard: I had heard the thunk - thunk - thunk getting closer, but had no idea what it was until she arrived in our doorway:doh:

Thanks have a mate with a Puter Shop in Scotland will pillage him for some Polystyrene mouldings and boxes saying that its a Full Antec tower dont know if there are mouldings to fit that monster!! Will get a New monitor out here any 28" ers in that wee shop of yours lol?

TenerifeTeddy
28-11-2012, 00:07
Cheers Chifleta lol thanks for the welcome....been a long and winding road to eventually land here........wont miss the UK weather..... saying that my Job takes me to warmer climates 6 months of the year in anycase... currently in 35deg High Humidity of Costa Rica....phew!

Thanks have a mate with a Puter Shop in Scotland will pillage him for some Polystyrene mouldings and boxes saying that its a Full Antec tower dont know if there are mouldings to fit that monster!! Will get a New monitor out here any 28" ers in that wee shop of yours lol?

Cant quite go to 28 inch will 27 inch do? MONITOR ASUS LED VK278Q MULTIMEDIA CAMARA FULL HD 27" 2 MS. PM for a price:crazy: