PDA

View Full Version : Other Do you get a slower internet speed than what you pay for? Tenerife

Dave Social
28-11-2012, 11:49
I would like to see if any of you fellow ex-pats over here have the same complaint as me. And if you have the same problem with Europa Network?
I'm with Europa Network and they are suppose to provide me with a 3 megabyte download connection. I have been with them many months but have made many complaints to them about the slow speed. Example on three meg I should not be waiting 20 to 45 seconds for a page to load. This is crazy. It takes me 2 to 3 hours to upload a 2 to 3 minute compressed MP4 video clip. Watching you tube clips is just rubbish. On the lowest Youtube download setting it still buffers and picture very pixelated.
Is there an internet regulator in Spain to complain too, does anyone know?

Yesterday they send me an email asking if my issue had been solved?

Today I wrote back to them....

Hi thank you for your email. The answer is no.The support team that have called me, get me to reboot and tell me that they have done speed test and they get 3 megabyte. I'm not happy with this. I have been on the internet since it began in the UK many years ago. I designed, developed websites back then. I uploaded everyday every hour and downloaded too. So I know about servers, speed tests and the more users using bandwith up the slower speed can be.

On average my download speed is half of that you advertise. 99% of the time I get a download speed of around 1.5 megabyte per second and I'm suppose to be on 3meg! Today is incredibly low as you will see on the speed test image i have just done.
I am really am not happy with the service you are providing me with and would like to know what is going to be done about it. All I want is faster speed the speed I should be getting and for which I am paying for. If you cannot provide me with the speed I'm suppose to get I will have no choice but to switch over to another provider, cancel my account with you. And will be putting in a complaint and claim for compensation.

Thank you
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2336904270.png
- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2336904270.png

Suej
28-11-2012, 11:58
I pay Telefonica for 10mb but very rarely get up to 8mb today seems to be the exception! eek2:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2336992748.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Here's the speedtest done a few minutes after the first!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2336998500.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

TF1
28-11-2012, 12:07
You´ll find that the small print in ADSL contracts allows providers to freely rip off users. The 6Mb which you are sold is really "up to" 6Mb in the contract, etc. At present, all operators in South Tenerife, including Vodafone and Orange, use the Telefonica infrastructure, but to make things worse, add their own traffic and bandwidth filters, so you end up with even slower connections!
A strange fact; the Movistar and Yoigo 3G networks have over twice the average up-link velocity than fixed ADSL connections; about 1.2Mb.

Dave Social
28-11-2012, 12:14
So 3G is a better option then? Who do I put in a denunciar to, regarding Europa Network? Who do I right to, is their a regulator out here?

Is it possible you PM me on how much you pay for 10mb with Telefonica please. I may do a switch over to them.

Suej
28-11-2012, 12:40
I'm in the process of changing to Direct Telecom who will supply 8mb and will cost approx 12€ less per month than Telefonica! I will also receive 300 minutes per month free European calls so can call friends and relatives in UK plus I get free UK TV! at the moment just my ADSL broadband/phone line with free National calls (Spain only) costs around 60€ per month with Telefonica! There may be better deals around than Direct Telecom but most of my neighbours are with them and are very happy indeed with the service and ADSL speed! Do a bit of research first!:wink2:

TF1
28-11-2012, 12:42
Dave, your 1st step is to run a speed check, connected to the router with a network cable, and nothing else connected to your internet. Here´s the link for a reliable test. http://www.adsl4ever.com/test/11/ (")
Then, read your contract with your provider and check what % of bandwidth they guarantee.
If there is a difference, you must then inform your provider, and ask for a reclamation number. After 30 days, if they have not responded, only then can you issue a complaint to a regulator.

Suej
28-11-2012, 12:59
Just wanted to have a look at that link you posted TF1 but is says "server not found" eek2:

TF1
28-11-2012, 13:16
Apologies, try this link http://www.adsl4ever.com/test/ and try the first test. Remember that it´s OK being offered 8Mb, but this depends upon what Telefonica have available in that area, as that´s what Direct Telecom will use as their provider.
My own experience is that when using a "re-seller" for ADSL, if you have a problem, they´ll bounce the blame back and forth for weeks. With Telefonica, at least you know who to shout at ....

Dave Social
28-11-2012, 13:18
Dave, your 1st step is to run a speed check, connected to the router with a network cable, and nothing else connected to your internet. Here´s the link for a reliable test. http://www.adsl4ever.com/test/11/ (")
Then, read your contract with your provider and check what % of bandwidth they guarantee.
If there is a difference, you must then inform your provider, and ask for a reclamation number. After 30 days, if they have not responded, only then can you issue a complaint to a regulator.

I run speed checks all the time. Today download was 0.25 of a meg!!!! I do it when I talk with them at support. They even tried to tell me that I was sharing an IP address with an other user!!!!!! hmmm. I'll check the contract but think it just says 'up to'.

LOL , Ok, so now I have just done some speed test nearly few hours since sending my compliant via email and online message to Europa Network. The results have been amazing for me! I'm getting between 2.3meg and 2.6meg now. Hell thats gone up suddenly. Do you think they have took notice of my compliant already and turned up the knob?
Will keep tabs on the speed over next 24 hours. maybe tomorrow I'll be on 56K.

kiwiphil
28-11-2012, 13:38
I think we need a sticky post explaining ADSL somewhere.

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?1352-When-will-be-getting-quicker-internet-connection-in-Tenerife&p=235408#post235408

ADSL speed problems split into two areas;

1. The speed that you connect to the Telefonica exchange at is primarily governed by physical issues. You can see this on your router. It'll be called sync speed or connection speed or similar. Regardless of what the marketing info says, this will either be "up to 10Mb/s" or "up to 4Mb/s". Its really good to note this speed down and see if it varies over time. If it gets slower then there is likely to be some sort of fault that can be fixed. Regardless of who you are paying, they use Telefonica lines and equipment in the exchange.

2. The second part is governed by your ISP (Europa, Direct Telecom etc.) They manage the connection into the Internet. They buy capacity in bulk and share it between all their customers. This is normal - ever ISP in the world does it. It is referred to as contention. The amount that they share affects how well their service works at busy times.

So if you connection is always slow, even in the middle of the night then its most likely issue 1. If it varies according to the time of day then blame the ISP. If they get enough complaints they will buy some more capacity.

I hope this helps.

Vortex Wake
28-11-2012, 15:10
Dave, your 1st step is to run a speed check, connected to the router with a network cable, and nothing else connected to your internet. Here´s the link for a reliable test.

The point that TF1 mentioned about direct cable connection is relevant in ANY speed tests since wifi is susceptible to interference due to other household using a router on the same channel, and my own favorite is my microwave oven that ALWAYS causes a slow connection when in use - Youtube buffers, pages take ages to load etc.

Smart phone apps such as 'WIFI Analyzer' , allow you to 'see' other routers and their chosen router channel.

cainaries
28-11-2012, 15:23
An almost irrelevant point is that, since Telefonica owns the line itself, they look after their own customers first when it comes to carrying out major repairs after a storm, for example. After the recent storm here on La Palma, we waited over a week for our line to be repaired (we're with telefonica) but friends with Direct Telecom had to wait longer because telefonica won't repair it until after Direct Telecom confirmed to them that the fault lay with Telefonica. (Hope that makes sense). It was after a similar experience a few years ago that we opted to pay €60 to Telefonica. I agree with Suej this is very high but that's the reason we pay it. We're paying for 10Mb which we have never had but it is usually between 7 and 8 and enough for us.

timmylish
28-11-2012, 15:58
An almost irrelevant point is that, since Telefonica owns the line itself, they look after their own customers first when it comes to carrying out major repairs after a storm, for example. After the recent storm here on La Palma, we waited over a week for our line to be repaired (we're with telefonica) but friends with Direct Telecom had to wait longer because telefonica won't repair it until after Direct Telecom confirmed to them that the fault lay with Telefonica. (Hope that makes sense). It was after a similar experience a few years ago that we opted to pay €60 to Telefonica. I agree with Suej this is very high but that's the reason we pay it. We're paying for 10Mb which we have never had but it is usually between 7 and 8 and enough for us.

Folks. Am I going completely crazy here? For almost two years now, on this very Forum, I have time after time explained that we have Telefonica,s ADSL, Line Rental, Free Spanish Calls and a limited amount of free calls to moviles. Our contract is for up to 10 Mgps and our bill, incl. a couple of International faxes sent, per month is, 34 euros. Just where does your 60 + euros come from? Because I use the very best VPN servers available in Europe and the USA when I go over to the VPN to watch UK or American TV our feed dropd from 8,5 mgps to abou 7 or 7,5. All figures fluctuate on the effects of local demands on lines etc but very rarely drops under 7 mgps. So, as a consequence, loading of pages, video watching is entirely and utterly satisfactory. Now the contract with Telefonica is permanent, for ever (nothing is of course) so this gives us the benefit, should a company come along with improved speeds costs etc we can look at that.
So, in essence Folks. Get out of these crap agreements and get onto Telefonica,s current offers of up to 10 mgps at the same price that we are paying. As long as you continue to pay they will gratefully accept payment, of course.
For your assistance just read thru this latest info from my VPN suppliers who have just up-graded their system yesterday. I just cannot stop watchin' telly!
http://vpnuk.net/

TF1
28-11-2012, 16:18
One point; if you are with an old Telefonica contract of 3Mb, it will cost more than the new 6Mb contract. In many places, 6Mb is still unavailable, but if you push them they will always drop to the new price, which I believe is 20€ for the ADSL + 13€ for line rental.
Tip; if you are dealing with Telefonica, and get some brain dead South American operator on the other end of the line, hang up and dial again until you get someone with a European-Spanish accent. It will save your sanity.

julia44
28-11-2012, 16:25
[QUOTE=timmylish;241479]Folks. Am I going completely crazy here? For almost two years now, on this very Forum, I have time after time explained that we have Telefonica,s ADSL, Line Rental, Free Spanish Calls and a limited amount of free calls to moviles. Our contract is for up to 10 Mgps and our bill, incl. a couple of International faxes sent, per month is, 34 euros. For your assistance just

Yes you are, I read your advice about 18 months ago and got straight onto their website as you had suggested, filled in my details and 2 mins later I had an email confirming my new contract at 34€

timmylish
28-11-2012, 16:43
[QUOTE=timmylish;241479]Folks. Am I going completely crazy here? For almost two years now, on this very Forum, I have time after time explained that we have Telefonica,s ADSL, Line Rental, Free Spanish Calls and a limited amount of free calls to moviles. Our contract is for up to 10 Mgps and our bill, incl. a couple of International faxes sent, per month is, 34 euros. For your assistance just

Yes you are, I read your advice about 18 months ago and got straight onto their website as you had suggested, filled in my details and 2 mins later I had an email confirming my new contract at 34€

Well, there you go then. Contrary to some recent views being expressed on here regarding advice given by me to Forum members being unsound, here you have living proof of its authenticity! Bah! Up yours!

Dave Social
29-11-2012, 14:59
OK got a reply from Europa Network. This is what they wrote to:

Good morning Mr Thompson,

With using having to rely on Movistars phone lines to supply our internet we are unable to change anything on your line. You are currently on a 3mb internet connection, we always explain that on this speed you will receive up to 3mb and never exactly 3mb. If you were to go to another provider, the same problem would still persist.

You have signed up to an 18 month adsl contract with ourselves, we value you as a customer however will be unable to increase your internet speed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
----------------------------------------------

My line speed cannot be increased!!!! They advertise 10 meg and Im now informed they can't give me that!!! What the hell! And just found out I'm on an 18 month contract too because I said i would cancel my account if they could not provide me with a faster speed. This I did not know I though it was 12 months.
I have now replied for a reclamation number so I can take the matter further. any advice on getting out of this contract with them? Thanks

Muppet
29-11-2012, 15:21
Dave

The only likely outcome of taking Europa to task will be being offered a way out of your contract earlier than agreed with them, BUT

This is the BIG BUT - leaving them is most unlikely to solve your problems. Telefonica are the only operator who can provide you with ADSL in the south of the island. All third-party providers have to buy ADSL capacity from TeleKONica on behalf of their clients - whether you are with Europa, Direct Telecom or whoever, the speeds you can achieve on your line are entirely in the hands of Telefonica - if their equipment, your distance from the nearest exchange and other factors determine that you cannot get the speeds you need or want, then there is not a lot you can do about it.

Outside of Santa Cruz the maximum speed available is the "up to" 10 meg service unless you are one of the lucky ones where fibre is being laid and available.

Somewhere on the TeleKONica website is a section where you put your phone number in and it tells you the speeds available on the exchange your number originates from (can't find it right now and don't have the time to search).

Dave Social
29-11-2012, 15:28
New reply from them....

Good afternoon Mr Thompson,

We can offer customers up to 10mb of ADSL however it depends on each individual line.

With regards to a reclamation number/form, we are located in the Valencian Community therefore our forms would not be valid for Tenerife, however in your local Consumer Office, you will be able access some.

If you have any queries, please contact me.

------------

Can someone tell me where the nearest Consumer office is in the South of Tenerife please?

TF1
29-11-2012, 16:23
Your nearest town hall.

PS; they are carrying out an infraction by not taking a reclamation by telephone.

Tickey
29-11-2012, 18:01
Direct Telecom are the kings of empty promises!