PDA

View Full Version : Food Are you allowed to bring English sausages to Tenerife?

gary d
30-11-2012, 12:52
Hi, can anybody tell me if you are allowed to bring English sausage to Tenerife?

Andrzej
30-11-2012, 12:57
What english sausage are you referring to? If it's "bangers" then you can get them in Iceland. I have known many people bring bacon accross and cheese....

gary d
30-11-2012, 13:03
My daughter will only eat "Richmond Skinless thin sausage's" can you get them?

Andrzej
30-11-2012, 13:07
Can't help you there as I don't know and am currently in the UK, but perhaps other members of the forum can help?

Malteser Monkey
30-11-2012, 13:09
My daughter will only eat "Richmond Skinless thin sausage's" can you get them?

I used to get them in Iceland in the late 90's so you must be able to get them now - however the prices may be a little high

Madre
30-11-2012, 13:18
My husband allways brings english sausages from the butchers in Cornwall. He brings them over frozen and in hand luggage or in a suitcase.

kell
30-11-2012, 13:39
you can get skinless richmond in icelands, frozen and fresh but sometimes they do run out and you dont see them for a few weeks

SVFUN
30-11-2012, 19:02
Isnt there a link to this somewhere :lol:

marbro8
30-11-2012, 19:30
Isnt there a link to this somewhere :lol:that will go over a few heads:D, it sometimes feels like we bring more food over than clothes lol, we bring cheese,ham,tins of salmon and corned beef, cereals, tea bags coffee and little sachets of brown and red sauce and vinegar lol, we also bring soap, kitchen towel, toilet roll fairy liquid and soap powder:wow: well when you think about it if you went to spar and brought all that lot you would spend around 100 euros and that would take us out for 3 nights lol, and if you have already got them in your cupboard why not;)

seanocelt
01-12-2012, 04:03
Hi, can anybody tell me if you are allowed to bring English sausage to Tenerife?

Are you allowed to bring English sausages to Tenerife?

No , only Irish and Scottish ones. Sorry Gary.

timmylish
01-12-2012, 04:15
I always fell sorry for the Welsh in these instances. Left out unless you want Lamb Chops but, then again, succulent Lamb seems to bring back the worst in me!

junglejim
01-12-2012, 04:22
I always fell sorry for the Welsh in these instances. Left out unless you want Lamb Chops but, then again, succulent Lamb seems to bring back the worst in me!
Morning Timmy!- are you James Traynor in disguise ?

marbro8
01-12-2012, 12:09
Are you allowed to bring English sausages to Tenerife?

No , only Irish and Scottish ones. Sorry Gary.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

candy2411
01-12-2012, 13:47
that will go over a few heads:D, it sometimes feels like we bring more food over than clothes lol, we bring cheese,ham,tins of salmon and corned beef, cereals, tea bags coffee and little sachets of brown and red sauce and vinegar lol, we also bring soap, kitchen towel, toilet roll fairy liquid and soap powder:wow: well when you think about it if you went to spar and brought all that lot you would spend around 100 euros and that would take us out for 3 nights lol, and if you have already got them in your cupboard why not;)

but marbro, if you cut out that lot you could save on baggage fees surely!

if you don't end up using all the stuff do you bring it back?

marbro8
01-12-2012, 15:45
but marbro, if you cut out that lot you could save on baggage fees surely!

if you don't end up using all the stuff do you bring it back? we always pay for 20 kg anyway usually with monarch, i don't think there are any more choices? and it is usually the deodorants shampoo and cosmetics that weigh the most, but there is never anything much to bring back because if we only have about 3 days left till we go back we make a conscious effort to use it up,but with the shampoo, deodorants and body sprays we either stand there for 20 mins emptying them over us or just leave them:lol:

kerri
01-12-2012, 17:18
I always bring sausages from Ireland when i coming over to Tenerife

timmylish
01-12-2012, 18:43
JJ. Traynor. Give me some credit. I was never banned from CP! Having said that if you are of a certain age you may well remember a rather well reported fall out which I had with Billy Mc.Neill many years ago. He did want me banned for being a "whistleblower" following a trip to Madrid where we lost 3 1.
Silly Billy!

sundownersvince
01-12-2012, 20:10
Think I might take some Spanish sausages home to England. They actually have MEAT in them, unlike the overpriced, processed crap you get in Iceland. :hungry:

kiwiphil
01-12-2012, 21:21
Can't beat Tesco's finest. Brought a couple of packs of Caramelized Red Onion sausages back today in hand baggage.

Oh ... and it was -1 and foggy on the drive to Gatwick. Horrible.

marbro8
01-12-2012, 21:25
Can't beat Tesco's finest. Brought a couple of packs of Caramelized Red Onion sausages back today in hand baggage.

Oh ... and it was -1 and foggy on the drive to Gatwick. Horrible.well if you are travelling to tenerife and you have english sausages in your luggage on your own head be it:doh:, did you not read an earlier post by seanocelt?:D

LeFrunk
01-12-2012, 21:55
just laughing there about the sausages , my wife packs soda bread , potato bread , smoked bacon , sausages but they arnt for me , they are for some of our Canarian and Italian friends as they love the stuff. She packs the white and black pudding for our English and Scottish friends so we havnt been stopped importing all that stuff .

duquessa
05-12-2012, 14:40
yes we do.

Santiago
05-12-2012, 14:54
Most of the supermarkets now stock English goods of all types - not like in the old days when everything was Spanish with a few German brands thrown in! Check out some of the smaller supermarkets attached to apartment complexes as well as they have all sorts of stock which you probably wouldn't expect to see.

If you bring out so much food for your own use you are depriving the local population of the money you would have spent on the Reef. On the other hand I can quite see that you would bring out some luxuries (?) for the residents who cannot buy the things they used to enjoy in Britain. But if these things are for your own use then why pay extra luggage charges just to bring your own food.

There are lots of smaller shops you can patronise rather than big concerns like Iceland. Take a stroll and look around, you might be surprised at what you find!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

that will go over a few heads:D, it sometimes feels like we bring more food over than clothes lol, we bring cheese,ham,tins of salmon and corned beef, cereals, tea bags coffee and little sachets of brown and red sauce and vinegar lol, we also bring soap, kitchen towel, toilet roll fairy liquid and soap powder:wow: well when you think about it if you went to spar and brought all that lot you would spend around 100 euros and that would take us out for 3 nights lol, and if you have already got them in your cupboard why not;)

Marbro, I can't believe you bring all that lot with you. I bought most of those things while I was out on the Reef a few weeks ago. In addition, as the temperature in the baggage compartment goes way below freezing on the way out and your suitcase may sit in the sun for half an hour - or more - on arrival, I don't think I would want to eat tinned corned beef or tinned salmon that had been carried in this way. The salmonella must be having a field day in your suitcase!!

duquessa
05-12-2012, 16:17
Most of the supermarkets now stock English goods of all types - not like in the old days when everything was Spanish with a few German brands thrown in! Check out some of the smaller supermarkets attached to apartment complexes as well as they have all sorts of stock which you probably wouldn't expect to see.

If you bring out so much food for your own use you are depriving the local population of the money you would have spent on the Reef. On the other hand I can quite see that you would bring out some luxuries (?) for the residents who cannot buy the things they used to enjoy in Britain. But if these things are for your own use then why pay extra luggage charges just to bring your own food.

There are lots of smaller shops you can patronise rather than big concerns like Iceland. Take a stroll and look around, you might be surprised at what you find!

Marbro, I can't believe you bring all that lot with you. I bought most of those things while I was out on the Reef a few weeks ago. In addition, as the temperature in the baggage compartment goes way below freezing on the way out and your suitcase may sit in the sun for half an hour - or more - on arrival, I don't think I would want to eat tinned corned beef or tinned salmon that had been carried in this way. The salmonella must be having a field day in your suitcase!!

spanish sausages from a butcher are not the same and frankly horrible.

Iceland are crap factory produced rubbish.

we take qulaity sausage and bacon from the uk and always will as long as we can. we want a decent filling breakfast at the end of the day.:yum:

sausages are fine in the case and remain cold as they have been in the hold of the plane.

Santiago
05-12-2012, 17:00
[QUOTE=duquessa;243460]spanish sausages from a butcher are not the same and frankly horrible.

No, the supermarkets of all sizes have British sausages (and Irish ones too) at least in the south of the island. You just haven't looked hard enough. Hiperdino and the Spar by the Columbus apartments both have fresh and frozen sausages and bacon and they are very nice. Some of the other smaller supermarkets have frozen sausages and frozen bacon produced in Britain so there is plenty of choice. However, if it is your choice to take them with you, why not? There is no argument from me, you do your thing and I'll do mine, after all the hospital isn't far away!

TOTO 99
05-12-2012, 17:11
spanish sausages from a butcher are not the same and frankly horrible.

Iceland are crap factory produced rubbish.

we take qulaity sausage and bacon from the uk and always will as long as we can. we want a decent filling breakfast at the end of the day.:yum:

sausages are fine in the case and remain cold as they have been in the hold of the plane.

Why would you want your breakfast at the end of the day?...:lol:

EDGEY72
05-12-2012, 18:01
I don't think there is a need to bring your own food over these days there is so much choice, and if you can't find certain British products look in the more residential areas where there are expats living, the shops there will cater for there local customers and not just tourists. But if you choose to, then why not. I would suggest if you are staying where there are expats living anything left when your due to go home give it to them, i'm sure it would be appreciated. This is what we do especially stuff like washing powder e.t.c which can be expensive.

TOTO 99
05-12-2012, 18:18
Are you listening marbro8?

Edgey reckons you should be making sure the lady next door gets your sausage....:lol:

marbro8
05-12-2012, 20:31
Are you listening marbro8?

Edgey reckons you should be making sure the lady next door gets your sausage....:lol:last time i tried to do that it nearly led to divorce:wow:;):lol:

Marbro, I can't believe you bring all that lot with you. I bought most of those things while I was out on the Reef a few weeks ago. In addition, as the temperature in the baggage compartment goes way below freezing on the way out and your suitcase may sit in the sun for half an hour - or more - on arrival, I don't think I would want to eat tinned corned beef or tinned salmon that had been carried in this way. The salmonella must be having a field day in your suitcase!!and in my tummy:lol: no we havn't had any problems with food poisoning as yet;)

duquessa
06-12-2012, 14:47
its a drop in the ocean bringing a few sausages how petty are some people debating it.

When you come on holiday you put lots of money into the island, car hire, meals out, ice creams, excursions the list goes on.

As said for people saying others shouldnt bring some quality stuff with them for their breakfast is oddness. Its a drop in the ocean.

Why would you want your breakfast at the end of the day?...:lol:

sets you up for the day and eating quality breakfast outside on the patio in the sunshine is to die for.

TOTO 99
06-12-2012, 14:56
its a drop in the ocean bringing a few sausages how petty are some people debating it.

When you come on holiday you put lots of money into the island, car hire, meals out, ice creams, excursions the list goes on.

As said for people saying others shouldnt bring some quality stuff with them for their breakfast is oddness. Its a drop in the ocean.

sets you up for the day and eating quality breakfast outside on the patio in the sunshine is to die for.

You didn't get my joke did you?...........

Fivepence
06-12-2012, 15:27

I thought about it and at the end of the day, I got it!......................:D

Santiago
06-12-2012, 15:33
A drop in the ocean? Isn't that how the oceans were formed - drop by drop by drop? As I said before, you go your way and I'll go mine!

Malteser Monkey
06-12-2012, 15:37

not all as quick as us lot !

:cheeky:

I thought about it and at the end of the day, I got it!......................:D

round about the same time as me !

Sundowner
06-12-2012, 17:24

That's because it was the wurst joke ever:D

TOTO 99
06-12-2012, 21:07
That's because it was the wurst joke ever:D

I'll tell you what, it's a good job I'm thick skinned.....:lol:

AL JAY
06-12-2012, 21:15

Can you get them on H.P ?

marbro8
06-12-2012, 21:17
You didn't get my joke did you?...........i got it and i come from walsall:D

Medman
06-12-2012, 21:20
Can you get them on H.P ?

I take it you want them half price and not half portions Al ? .....:D

AL JAY
06-12-2012, 21:22
i take it you want them half price and not half portions al ? .....:d

oooh saucy :D

Santiago
06-12-2012, 23:49

You have to be quick to ketchup with this lot!!!

AL JAY
07-12-2012, 00:05
You have to be quick to ketchup with this lot!!!

Have to agree Santi they're mustard and seem to relish in it :respect:

Medman
07-12-2012, 00:29
Have to agree Santi they're mustard and seem to relish in it :respect:

Getting into a bit of a pickle here

AL JAY
07-12-2012, 00:34
Getting into a bit of a pickle here

Richard Branston should sort it!

Medman
07-12-2012, 01:06
Richard Branston should sort it!

With some Virgin olive oil no doubt .........:lol:

AL JAY
07-12-2012, 01:15
With some Virgin olive oil no doubt .........:lol:

Whose your Daddie's!!! :lol:

Medman
07-12-2012, 01:16
Whose your Daddie's!!! :lol:

What tomato with you, are you not OK ?

AL JAY
07-12-2012, 01:21
What tomato with you, are not OK ?

NO... Im Cross........................and Blackwell :fpull: :D

Santiago
07-12-2012, 14:30
NO... Im Cross........................and Blackwell :fpull: :D

I could give you a right dressing down for that but, hey pesto, I'm off to Worcester for a salsa competition, so soy you later!

AL JAY
07-12-2012, 15:10
I could give you a right dressing down for that but, hey pesto, I'm off to Worcester for a salsa competition, so soy you later!

Cheerio!!!...:hi::tiphat:

Margaretta
07-12-2012, 15:24
Wow! Sausages seem to get everyone's Mojo working!

Advice: Don't wrap anything in tin foil.....confiscated.
Hubby nearly had bacon confiscated from his hand luggage; it showed up on the scan as semtex (not sure how that's spelt!)

We don't bother now as we love Mercadona and Hyperdino and buy a few bits in Iceland. The only things we take now are coffee and teabags as they are considerably more expensive in Tenerife.

TOTO 99
07-12-2012, 15:33
Wow! Sausages seem to get everyone's Mojo working!

Advice: Don't wrap anything in tin foil.....confiscated.
Hubby nearly had bacon confiscated from his hand luggage; it showed up on the scan as semtex (not sure how that's spelt!)

We don't bother now as we love Mercadona and Hyperdino and buy a few bits in Iceland. The only things we take now are coffee and teabags as they are considerably more expensive in Tenerife.

I've done Rasher things than that Margaretta....:lol:

Medman
07-12-2012, 15:47
Cheerio!!!...:hi::tiphat:

Beware Al ! Santiago will report you to the reggae-reggae-regulator. I always have problems with that word !! :crazy:

macdonald5
07-12-2012, 16:00
Yes take care with anything foil wrapped, we took tbags in original packet that was foil lined and security well inspected packet but did not confiscate

tfs1
07-12-2012, 19:44
we always take sarnies/rolls/wraps etc wrapped in foil in our hand luggage and never had a problem

Santiago
07-12-2012, 23:28
we always take sarnies/rolls/wraps etc wrapped in foil in our hand luggage and never had a problem

Don't any of you ever take clothes with you?

marbro8
07-12-2012, 23:30
Don't any of you ever take clothes with you?we are all naturists with good appertite's :D

tfs1
07-12-2012, 23:42
Don't any of you ever take clothes with you?

......... like many others we are lucky to already have clothes etc at our places in Tenerife/Spain so we only need to take food and tablets (medical and technology !)

Santiago
07-12-2012, 23:46
......... like many others we are lucky to already have clothes etc at our places in Tenerife/Spain so we only need to take food and tablets (medical and technology !)

We only take one suitcase and the minimum of clothing but are not lucky enough to have our own place - if we were we could leave our sausages in the freezer!!

Definitely not a naturist, Marbro, not with this body. It has been honed to a marvel of wrinkled sagginess and I wouldn't want to make others jealous!!:superstar:

macdonald5
08-12-2012, 09:53

Funny enough so do we without problems but the tea bags in original foil lined packet did cause security concern (thicker type of foil perhaps ?)

tfs1
08-12-2012, 10:03
macd5,

I guess you are correct regarding the type of packaging.

We used to have frequent problems with Cathedral Cheddar cheese and although not wrapped in foil I presume it was the density of the cheese that caused the interest of scecurity.

wolvesfc1
08-12-2012, 13:43
someone told me bubble wrap was good will find out early wed morning:nono: will this or :laugh: this

stuartbroad
12-12-2012, 08:25
What english sausage are you referring to? If it's "bangers" then you can get them in Iceland. I have known many people bring bacon accross and cheese....

junglejim
12-12-2012, 10:59
Just imagine the problems arising over next few weeks as Scotsmen (note Tonypub) bring over their pet Haggis to fatten them up for Burns Night on 25th January ! Itīs enough to make the bagpipes scream !

Ecky Thump
12-12-2012, 11:13
Just imagine the problems arising over next few weeks as Scotsmen (note Tonypub) bring over their pet Haggis to fatten them up for Burns Night on 25th January ! Itīs enough to make the bagpipes scream !

Are there not any Haggis kennels in Tenerife full of these poor unwanted creatures, there will be yet more cases of people bringing in pets without giving any consideration for their future.....Remember a "Haggis is for life" not just one night of fun and debauchery. :(

karinagal
12-12-2012, 12:06
Haggis are an endangered species (especially at this time of year). They're very difficult to look after as they have very specific needs.. Being a three legged creature with one leg shorter than the other two, they need a hill to run around so that they can remain upright. They're vicious too - the highland mans sporran is designed to weigh enough to securely cover his meat and 2 veg so that a scurrying haggis doesn't manage to get at them by running up his leg under the kilt...

:D :p :D

Ecky Thump
12-12-2012, 12:30
Haggis are an endangered species (especially at this time of year). They're very difficult to look after as they have very specific needs.. Being a three legged creature with one leg shorter than the other two, they need a hill to run around so that they can remain upright. They're vicious too - the highland mans sporran is designed to weigh enough to securely cover his meat and 2 veg so that a scurrying haggis doesn't manage to get at them by running up his leg under the kilt...

:D :p :D

Karingal, I didn't really want this to become a debate, but to me it's the callousness of people all over the world slaughtering these poor creatures in the name of a drunken poet who suffered from "Beasties" and other related diseases, these people who claim that they are intellectuals, all gather around this animal and get out their daggers and cruelly stab the poor beast without further though its heart (at this point the poor beast is squealing in fear) and then bravely talk happily about its entrails gushing with bright red blood!! Sickening people, all who appear to be called "Jimmy", who need and should have a guid whip-lashing!!!! :(

Medman
12-12-2012, 12:58
Karingal, I didn't really want this to become a debate, but to me it's the callousness of people all over the world slaughtering these poor creatures in the name of a drunken poet who suffered from "Beasties" and other related diseases, these people who claim that they are intellectuals, all gather around this animal and get out their daggers and cruelly stab the poor beast without further though its heart (at this point the poor beast is squealing in fear) and then bravely talk happily about its entrails gushing with bright red blood!! Sickening people, all who appear to be called "Jimmy", who need and should have a guid whip-lashing!!!! :(

Send for Henry !

junglejim
12-12-2012, 13:50
Weel done Cutty Sark ! .... And in an instant ...the thread was dark!

( For God's sake don' t mention the Twa' Dugs or we'll never get the thread closed !)

DOH!!

Ecky Thump
12-12-2012, 14:15
Weel done Cutty Sark ! .... And in an instant ...the thread was dark!

( For God's sake don' t mention the Twa' Dugs or we'll never get the thread closed !)

DOH!!

I've even seen a Haggis rolled into a "English Sausage" shape, dipped into batter and then dropped into a deep fat fryer.....Now that is a perverse and cruel thing to do to such a rare beast!

I've got a Whisky glass from the Twa' Dugs pub in Ayr. Useless information!!

junglejim
12-12-2012, 14:17
And they think it' s a deep fried Mars Bar !:crylaughing:

Medman
12-12-2012, 15:02
How do you start a puddin race.............. just sago !! :sorry: