PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Where can I buy cheap car tyres in south Tenerife?

tripadviser
30-11-2012, 18:37
Can anyone advise me where to get the cheapest car tyres. Thanks

doingok
30-11-2012, 18:53
scrap yard ?

casabonny
30-11-2012, 19:31
Pit team in Las Chafiras usually

timmylish
30-11-2012, 23:07
The heading is frightening! This must be the last part of a car I,d look for cheap, but hey!
Pit Team, either Las Chafiras or San Isidro. Do yourself a favour and take these guys advice just don,t take the cheapest.

Ecky Thump
30-11-2012, 23:18
scrap yard ?

A sure way to increase your chances of dying sooner than you want to!:nono:

obs
01-12-2012, 00:14
Can anyone advise me where to get the cheapest car tyres. Thanks

Tired of living?? :nono:

Ashro Autos
01-12-2012, 01:26
Pit Team are good on price and service

tripadviser
01-12-2012, 16:14
Timmyfish, I have been driving for the past 30 years and I dont NEED to be told how to behave by you. Stick to answering questions.

blueeyes
01-12-2012, 17:39
ALL NEW TYRES ARE FIT FOR PURPOSE I got 2 brand new one's with the new mark still on them as they hadnt even been on the road at all from the scrap yard in El Medano for 20 euros each and 5 euros to have them put on.

Blueeyes :shy:

timmylish
01-12-2012, 18:39
Timmyfish, I have been driving for the past 30 years and I dont NEED to be told how to behave by you. Stick to answering questions.

Well, for someone who has driven as long as you say you have you certainly don,t express yourself in a very clear manner which, as seen from other posters, have a similar to myself. Perhaps you,ve been advising (sic) too many people to take take advice yourself. All knowing is dangerous in the extreme. Happy driving.
ps. I have just this last half hour seen, on the autopista between Las Chafiras and the Airport, the consequences of wrong decisions on tyre purchasing.

Ricman
01-12-2012, 19:11
Pit Stop on the south side of Las Chafiras are very good & usually as cheap as anywhere for quality tyres. An easy run from the tent.

doingok
01-12-2012, 19:26
Well, for someone who has driven as long as you say you have you certainly don,t express yourself in a very clear manner which, as seen from other posters, have a similar to myself. Perhaps you,ve been advising (sic) too many people to take take advice yourself. All knowing is dangerous in the extreme. Happy driving.
ps. I have just this last half hour seen, on the autopista between Las Chafiras and the Airport, the consequences of wrong decisions on tyre purchasing.

It is more or less impossible to make the wrong tyre purchase,the size of tyre is always the same as you have on, its just a matter of what make you want, but by law they have to be fit for purpose.

That is impossible to say unless you have got out of your car and spoke to the driver or driver's and examined the car or cars in question, by my experience its almost human error that is at fault i.e baldy tyres,not the right amount of air in them which is down to the driver BY LAW.
tripadviser only asked a question where to go for cheap tyres lol

Its getting to much hassle to ask a simple question anymore without people putting they oar in.

KirstyJay
01-12-2012, 19:41
Can anyone advise me where to get the cheapest car tyres. ThanksDid you have a general area of tenerife in mind? It's usually a good idea to specify a location when asking a question, as it saves people suggesting places that may be too far for you. :)

tripadviser
02-12-2012, 17:39
Hi doingok, I agree with its too much hassle to ask a question without all the crap that comes with it. WHY CANT PEOPLE ANSWER THE QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED?
The only thing I wanted to know where can you purchase the cheapest tyres, its that simple

Ecky Thump
02-12-2012, 17:46
Hi doingok, I agree with its too much hassle to ask a question without all the crap that comes with it. WHY CANT PEOPLE ANSWER THE QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED?
The only thing I wanted to know where can you purchase the cheapest tyres, its that simple

Well, with all the crap as you perceive it, the answer has been given....A scrap yard.

But, other forum members have advised against it, which to my mind is one of the purposes of this forum, as we can learn from each other.........Simple!!:tiphat:

doingok
02-12-2012, 19:11
All tyres pre worn or new will do the job and as blueeyes has said you can get brand new ones from the scrap yard for 20 euros or i just shop around.
I go to ever is the cheapest but you do have look for around for them. people back home make good money out of pre-worn tyres

Ecky Thump
02-12-2012, 19:28
All tyres pre worn or new will do the job and as blueeyes has said you can get brand new ones from the scrap yard for 20 euros or i just shop around.
I go to ever is the cheapest but you do have look for around for them. people back home make good money out of pre-worn tyres

This is not speculation, fantasy, gossip or as you put it as, just someone putting their oar in,
hundreds of people are either seriously injured or killed by using pre-worn tyres from scrap yards, no one can tell if a tyre has been damaged by just looking at it.

Yes, so its true people who sell used tyres can make good money from selling them, but at a larger cost to some of the people and their families who have used them.:mad:

doingok
02-12-2012, 21:25
i worked here http://www.grouptyre.co.uk/ for a number of years and spent time at a number of manufacturers of tyres,so the above is not speculation and telling some not to do this or do that is not right end of,if you want to answer a question then answer it do not patronise the OP just answer the question. all Tyres most be check regularly and specially the wall of the tyre as this will stand out if damged, remould are made from old tyres but still have a high standard and again the cost to accidents is very very rarely down to the tyre being faulty but down to not looking after the tyres it self by putting the right air in them and so on.
We rented a car from one of the main car rentals company and the tyres where bald now thats what cause's accidents and i would take my chances with a tyre with tread on the that any day of the week. i have been dealing with car parts for years and yes you have to be really care but road accidents are down the human error most of the time and its very rare down to a fault tyre you have just bought and had just put on. look that the end of the end he asked i say end of,i would not tell anyone not to do this or that.

P.S I alway buy my tyres new but as it was asked where do i buy cheap tyres my answer was and always will be scrap yard as its been said you can get new ones if you are lucky enough and at 1/3 of the price

Ecky Thump
02-12-2012, 22:10
i worked here http://www.grouptyre.co.uk/ for a number of years and spent time at a number of manufacturers of tyres,so the above is not speculation and telling some not to do this or do that is not right end of,if you want to answer a question then answer it do not patronise the OP just answer the question. is very very rarely down to the tyre being faulty but down to not looking after the tyres it self by putting the right air in them and so on.
i have been dealing with car parts for years and yes you have to be really care but road accidents are down the human error most of the time and its very rare down to a fault tyre

There is nothing patronising about stating facts, that tyres bought from scrap yards can be and often are damaged, also they have directly caused many deaths and injuries.

It maybe worth while updating your knowledge of the causes of road accidents. ROSPA carries good fair information.

timmylish
02-12-2012, 23:16
doingok. Its all very well you pontificating your previous experience on new or not new tyres or the sources of these tyres
IN THE BLEEDIN' UK AND NOT HERE ON TENERIFE. WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE HERE?

doingok
02-12-2012, 23:37
RoSPA recommends that worn tyres are replaced with an equivalent new unit well before the legal minimum tread limit of 1.6mm is reached - ideally as soon as they reach 3mm.total agree

This is what i have been saying throughout my post's so i do not need to update my knowledge

Recommendations
From the independent research, RoSPA recommends that tyres are changed once the tread reaches 3mm in depth.

Tyre pressure also affects a vehicle's safety by reducing its handling capability. If a tyre is over or under inflated, less rubber will be in contact with the road which leads to increased tread wear, and may increase the vehicles stopping distance. It is recommended that you check all of your tyre pressures regularly, as well as inspecting the tyre for damage. again i was spot on

Website http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/vehiclesafety/tyresafety/tyres-information.aspx#Partworn
Part-Worn Tyres

What are part-worn tyres?
'Part-worn' tyres are those which have been used previously - in other words they are 'second-hand'. Most part-worn tyres are imported, mainly coming from continental Europe.

What are the potential problems with part-worn tyres?
Part-worn tyres are usually sold with about 50 per cent or less of their original tread remaining (legal minimum is 2mm) and may have a few thousand miles more motoring in them. However, despite their remaining tread, it must be appreciated part-worn tyres are nevertheless USED TYRES. As such their purchase and use should be treated with a degree of healthy scepticism. In many cases, such tyres will be perfectly sound. However, it is possible that they have been bumped up and down kerbs and over other obstacles. They may have been run over or under-inflated, and may have sustained irreparable and invisible damage to their structure.

The cost of part-worn tyres reflects their second-hand state and this no doubt contributes to their attraction to motorists. The purchase and use of part-worn, instead of new, tyres may enable some owners to afford to keep their vehicles on the road. The tyre industry continues to express concern about the sale and use of part worn tyres. However, it is important to consider the issue objectively and make a reasoned judgement about the real risks of using such tyres.

RoSPA's advice, like that of Trading Standards Officers, is 'let the buyer beware'. Whether the purchase of part-worn tyres is a good economic proposition or not, there can be little argument that a tyre which is only half worn but is in all other aspects sound, is likely to be safer than a tyre worn to the legal limit. SPOT ON AND WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING

Before purchasing part-worn tyres always ask to see them inflated before they are fitted to the vehicle and check for any lumps or bulges. Part worn tyres should also be checked for signs of tyre aging as described elsewhere in this fact sheet. If they show signs of aging then you should not purchase them.
AGAIN I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS CHECK AND CHECK AGAIN
ROSPA is exactly saying what i have been saying so i was spot on,and all pre-worn tyres are from scrap cars

BUT I WILL REPEAT I WOULD BUY NEW ONES EVERY TIME BUT AS IT HAS BEEN SAID YOU CAN HIT LUCKY AND GET NEW ONES FROM THE SCRAP YARD

timmylish
03-12-2012, 00:38
Last para. is incomprehensible so i,ll ignore!
The information you,ve supplied is all very well but, unless the O/p has the expertise to adopt the regulations and advice given by you or pasted from another site (more likely) he may well purchase the cheapest he can find anywhere, as he appeared to be indicating, and end up with a piece of rubber unfit for the use of driving on these roads here.
That,s me finished, and I,m sure you,ll all be happier for that.

Ecky Thump
03-12-2012, 11:45
The information you,ve supplied is all very well but, unless the O/p has the expertise to adopt the regulations and advice given by you or pasted from another site (more likely) he may well purchase the cheapest he can find anywhere, as he appeared to be indicating, and end up with a piece of rubber unfit for the use of driving on these roads here.

Timmy, doingok's post is a miss-match of mixed quotes to serve his own purpose. He is not interested if safety or the fact, that second hand tyres can have damage that cannot be seen and cause death and injury. He is just out to win his personal point of view. End of!!

I'm also out.

doingok
03-12-2012, 11:47
He is not interested if safety or facts the fact are there to read and safety comes first over money and anything else and how you can come to that conclusion is utter false when i have clearly said i BUY NEW TYRES as i do not have to worry about the cost.
It is clear by the RoSPA which you pointed to for your quote and now you are saying they are wrong and that damage that cannot be seen and cause death and injury yes of course it can but this can be in a new tyre to and see it happen where i worked and not the cheap brands to,cause clearly say its fine as long as you inspecting the tyre for damage. i think you both need to read up on this and in what i have said this post cheap tyres

This was not for the OP this was my response to Ecky Thump post,HAHA tyres are the same in any EU country OR the world NO MATTER the state of the roads (unless offroad or racing) and made to withstand a lot,some countries don't even have roads so here in Tenerife the roads are not as bad as some back home.
If he buys a new tyres from pit team or the scrap yard they are still new and very fit for purpose,pre-worn tyres are as you can read are still fit for purpose IF you check them. And i Quote :There can be little argument that a tyre which is only half worn but is in all other aspects sound, is likely to be safer than a tyre worn to the legal limit RoSPA

You are wrong and the fact that you quoted ROSPA and looks like you didn't read it or my post's as this site proves what i have said is right timmylish this is another one you you messed up on one of my post here http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?135-Residencia-amp-the-new-Certificado-de-Registro-in-Tenerife-discussions-and-questions/page26
And here you do again and you were proving wrong there to so read and learn and give the right advise not just jump in and hope for the best end of.

Pity this site could be a good'n now i know why so many people leave it.

poker
03-12-2012, 13:34
Rubber . . . , extencive heat and sun for a few years in the scrapyard or even on the car in the sun on scortching tarmac road .

Make youre conclusions how the rubber ages here . . . .

viv
03-12-2012, 18:08
We take our car to Rachel Motors in Las Chafiras when ever we need anything. They never have trouble getting anything for our car and charge us a very reasonable price. :0)

canarybird
03-12-2012, 19:30
I just had four new Michelin tires fitted to my car at Servicio El Botánico, Carretera El Botánico, Los Rechazos, La Orotava, on the right hand side of the road into Puerto de la Cruz off the highway via El Botánico route. They specialize in fitting tires with electronic wheel alignment, have a large garage and are fast. Ask for Domingo, 922 33 44 08.

They have tires of all models and makes so you should find something to suit your needs. I was very pleased.
Of course my tires were not cheap but I got a fair price for their good quality and this garage is known locally for their good prices.
Perhaps they would be able to suggest something cheaper for you, seeing as tires are their specialty.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-DZtkrwR/0/L/serv.%20Botanico-L.jpg

Canarybird

blueeyes
03-12-2012, 19:58
yes there is one in san isidro and they 9 times out of 10 beat most i think nice and quick to i have used them many times.

I just had four new Michelin tires fitted to my car at Servicio El Botánico, Carretera El Botánico, Los Rechazos, La Orotava, on the right hand side of the road into Puerto de la Cruz off the highway via El Botánico route. They specialize in fitting tires with electronic wheel alignment, have a large garage and are fast. Ask for Domingo, 922 33 44 08.

They have tires of all models and makes so you should find something to suit your needs. I was very pleased.
Of course my tires were not cheap but I got a fair price for their good quality and this garage is known locally for their good prices.
Perhaps they would be able to suggest something cheaper for you, seeing as tires are their specialty.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-DZtkrwR/0/L/serv.%20Botanico-L.jpg

Canarybird

golf birdie
03-12-2012, 19:58
if I buy a second hand car should I change the tyres as surely they are 2nd hand ;)

doingok
03-12-2012, 22:38
haha golf birdie now thats funny.

ofimart
11-12-2012, 12:29
As the title says has any one any suggestions where to buy the best value tyres please? I have two deformed back tyres on my clio and was quoted 260€ yesterday in Adeje for new ones . This seems dear to me so thought I'd ask on here .

Many thanks , Jacquie .

imablue
11-12-2012, 12:56
The pit team in Las Chafiras..922735267...

doingok
11-12-2012, 14:05
WOW 260 euros.i agree pit team or ask around of quotes shouldn't be more then 60 euros each in my experience

Ecky Thump
11-12-2012, 14:36
As the title says has any one any suggestions where to buy the best value tyres please? I have two deformed back tyres on my clio and was quoted 260€ yesterday in Adeje for new ones . This seems dear to me so thought I'd ask on here .

Many thanks , Jacquie .

Hi
The price that you have been quoted does at first glance look a bit costly, but before any one could pass judgement and say, that the price given is to high, they would need to know what the size of tyre and rating is that you need, as you can see from below their are many variants of Clio's some, with a different tyre size, but in this thread there is some good advice on where to go for suppliers of good safe tyres.
Just speaking within my experience and personal opinion taken over 42 years of driving many sorts of vehicles throughout the world, I would avoid buying used tyres.:)

Clio 1.2, 1.2 6V, 1.9D Tyre size: 175/65 R 14

Clio 1.6 6V Tyre size: 185/55 R 15

Clio 1.9 Tdi Tyre size: 175/65 R 14 (standard) 185/55 R 15

Clio 2.0 Renault Sport Tyre size: 195/45 R 16

Clio 2.0 Williams Tyre size: 185/55 R 15

Clio V6 24V Tyre size: 205/50 ZR 17 (front) and 235/45 ZR 17 (rear)

doingok
11-12-2012, 22:00
mine are 185/55 R 15 and cost no where near the 260 i only paid 65 euros for one at pit team in san isidro (new and fitted). i would go around at least 3 different tyre shops before you folk out your hard earned cash

Ecky Thump
11-12-2012, 22:20
I hope no one has to buy these ones €32700 EACH!!:D

Truly the most expensive tyres in the world, the Michelin 59/80R63 XDR tyres required for the Caterpillar 797 dump trucks are a massive 13 feet tall and weigh 11,680 lbs. They are the largest tyres in the world. These tyres require 47 nuts to be attached to the axle. Six of these enormous tyres can hold up to 1,375,000 lbs of truck and load.

That's a Tax Free! price!:laugh:

doingok
11-12-2012, 23:44

this is the big boy used to seen them in the quarry when i use to deliver steel in the northeast but if you can afford to spend around USD $5,000,000.tthen 32700 is drop in the ocean and they would be more than 1 lol