PDA

View Full Version : Internet My Orange dongle is too slow. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Stace7
01-12-2012, 17:02
Hi, since moving out here 2 years ago I have been using a mifi for my internet access, for those of you not fimilar with one of these, it works off of the same process as you top up a SIM card each month and instead of putting it into the traditional dongle that you then plug straight into your laptop you put the SIM card into the mifi device and this acts as a wireless router which allows you to run upto 5 devices at the same time, I.e my laptop, iPad iPhone, I have had to use this mifi as for some reason when we first moved out here we got Telefonica round to install a phone line and they said it wasn't possible, with my Spanish not being great I didn't get much of an explanation as to why, anyway that is besides the point as up until a few months ago the mifi device has worked fine for us. The first month we were here we used Vodafone and the speed wasn't great so we changed to orange the following month and had no trouble, up until the past few months when we top up the sim with the unlimited data for 35 euro a month, works great for first 2 days and then speed is so slow, Skype and FaceTime is near enough impossible. Just wanted to know if any other orange customers using this service are having the same problem or if anyone can suggest another provider? Many thanksk

clara
02-12-2012, 08:59
We have an ordinary dongle on Mas movil which works great. We got the sim card from forum member TenerifeTeddy at Witzend in Callao Salvaje and is 29 euros month for 5 gb.

junglejim
02-12-2012, 09:41
Stace is the problem that " unlimited" is actually a fixed amount then when you use it up it slows down to about 156kbs ?
This is quite common - perhaps using all your devices on mifi is using up your initial allowance?
It happened to me when I used a dongle - have you tried someone like Direct Telecom for line ?
Where are you situated ?