PDA

View Full Version : Other What are the job prospects like in Tenerife?

cornwall newt
03-12-2012, 17:28
hello every one, hope the sun is shining for you in tenerife.
my wife and myself both turned 50 this year and i have been promising to start making plans to live abroad for part of the year in the near future. i am a self employed decorator, (just decorating) not tiling, plastering, etc, can do most small jobs and that sort of thing, my wife is a selfemployed seamstress, making curtains, french blinds, roller blinds etc, also all types of alterations, (except for my jeans when they need a new zip!). i presume that there is not a local job center in tenerife so would most be avertised online, local papers etc?
as i said at the start of this post this is the first step onto something different for us so anyhelp/ advice would be greatly appreciated, my wife is also a talented blues harp player and plays locally with a band down here in cornwall,
cheers
neal.

TF1
03-12-2012, 18:32
Hi, youŽll find very few suitable vacancies, so your best bet would be to go self employed. This might prove expensive, as youŽll need to pay social security for 2 people, taxes, and also public liability insurance for any decorating or odd-job work. Work out the figures very carefully before you make the move.

bulldog
03-12-2012, 18:36
my wife and myself both turned 50 this year and i have been promising to start making plans to live abroad for part of the year in the near future. i am a self employed decorator, (just decorating) not tiling, plastering, etc, can do most small jobs and that sort of thing, my wife is a selfemployed seamstress, making curtains, french blinds, roller blinds etc, also all types of alterations, (except for my jeans when they need a new zip!). i presume that there is not a local job center in tenerife so would most be avertised online, local papers etc?
as i said at the start of this post this is the first step onto something different for us so anyhelp/ advice would be greatly appreciated, my wife is also a talented blues harp player and plays locally with a band down here in cornwall,
cheers
neal.
finding work in the building trade here right now is very hard,if you come,come with low
expectations ,remember to arrange some health care you may get some advice from your
local s.s.office ,don,t burn any bridges back home,sorry to sound negative but thats the
way things are right now,there,s a saying here''if you want to make a small fortune in
Tenerife COME WITH A LARGE ONE!!

cornwall newt
03-12-2012, 19:09
cheers
neal.
thanks for the advice, allways thought it would be difficult, very early stages at the mo, great site though this with all sorts of info,
cheers

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

finding work in the building trade here right now is very hard,if you come,come with low
expectations ,remember to arrange some health care you may get some advice from your
local s.s.office ,don,t burn any bridges back home,sorry to sound negative but thats the
way things are right now,there,s a saying here''if you want to make a small fortune in
Tenerife COME WITH A LARGE ONE!!

would love to come tenerife with two large ones!! many thanks for the info