PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite painting?

Margaretta
21-06-2011, 19:48
When I was young it was fashionable to have the paintings from Boots on the wall such as 'The Green Lady?' 'The White Horses coming out of the sea' and Constable's 'Haywain'. I think too there was a ballet one and Vernon Ward painted very soft flowers used for birthday cards. These are now considered 'kitsch' but are worth a lot of money if in good condition so check granny's attic!

I love looking at paintings of many artists, have many favourites because that is my interest, but I suppose my all-time favourite is Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers.'

What is/are yours?

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 20:06
Too many to go through, but the one that stands out for me is Caravaggio The Taking of Christ. Cant even begin to explain it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzDfwV3SpgI

Skeggy
21-06-2011, 20:28
I have spent many happy hours viewing paintings in the National Gallery, Louvre, Prado, Reina Sofia, etc. but for the life of me can not tell the name of the painting that has impressed me the most it is in the Louvre and is a painting of an old man with children around a candle, with the flame of the candle shining through the old man's hands it is so like a photograph but considering that it was painted in the 1600's it is simply amazing and something all should see,I believe that the artist is Louis Davide but am not sure perhaps someone could tell me. Thank you in anticipation.

Zara
21-06-2011, 20:28
When I was at school this Dali hung above the dining room door and I always thought it was lovely
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01247/dali2_1247555c.jpg

For the skill of painting fabrics then Fredrick Leighton - Light of the Harem is one of my favourites but like those mentioned in the OP seen as a bit naff these days
http://s.tidebuy.com/images/product/0/230/230843_1.jpg

However the older I get the more modern I like my art - something like this from Ronnie Landfield
http://www.abstract-art.com/landfield/la_solo_show_fldr/la_solo_images/lass_WhatGaughuinSaid.jpg

warbey
21-06-2011, 20:32
The Hay Wain.

Scenery every time...usually conforming with the Rule of Thirds..

tracey
21-06-2011, 20:51
http://http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzAEAt1UYvPXtjBRdWGRm0Uy7x_RCHH VTYp1EG_5r5IBJRuxxrOA

hmm that didnt work

Added after 5 minutes:

The poppy field. Monet

marbro8
21-06-2011, 21:23
we have a painting that we purchased about 25 years ago, it is of two dogs on a highland fell and was painted in 1911 by a then prolific painter called george pace, i have done some research on the internet and most of his smaller works sell for about £700, the guy we got it off wanted £600 at the time but i knocked him down to £450, we think because of the size(about 4ft-2ft) it could be worth about £4000-£5000 now, but it is a lovely painting, but if you are talking famouse paintings then the last supper by davincie? is one of my favorites

sunspot
21-06-2011, 21:27
Does anyone know the paintings where the artist put mice in everyone of his pictures,they could be pictures of a railway terminal but there was always a mouse somewhere in it,used to spend ages trying to find them all

with cheese
21-06-2011, 21:33
The summerhouse. i love painting mine as it means I am in the garden and the sun is out.

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 21:48
Does anyone know the paintings where the artist put mice in everyone of his pictures,they could be pictures of a railway terminal but there was always a mouse somewhere in it,used to spend ages trying to find them all
Sounds like wheres Wally book.

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 21:49
Favourite Painting ..............DULUX ONE COAT!!!

Ed3229
21-06-2011, 21:51

Terence Cuneo

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 21:56
When I was at school this Dali hung above the dining room door and I always thought it was lovely
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01247/dali2_1247555c.jpg

For the skill of painting fabrics then Fredrick Leighton - Light of the Harem is one of my favourites but like those mentioned in the OP seen as a bit naff these days
http://s.tidebuy.com/images/product/0/230/230843_1.jpg

However the older I get the more modern I like my art - something like this from Ronnie Landfield
http://www.abstract-art.com/landfield/la_solo_show_fldr/la_solo_images/lass_WhatGaughuinSaid.jpg

That's just 'cos your eyesights starting to go...

Myra
21-06-2011, 22:02
I think these paintings are beautiful, but the last one by Ronnie Landfield, a chimp could do that, or a five year old.

Faraway
21-06-2011, 22:10
I love all of Susan Seddon Boulet's work, particularly the shamanic ones!

I was once offered an original "Gothic" painting from an old lady's loft. The guy was doing a house clearance and disliked it on sight, however at £850 it was far too expensive for me - so beautiful tho' - spooky old house with bats flying round it and a great big yellow moon shining down.....

cinnamon
21-06-2011, 22:15
The Spiritual Kinship, by Max Švabinský
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy290/ConundrumConstructor/Robert%20Plant%20Conundrum/Robert_Plant_Conundrum_Max_Svabinsky_The_Spiritual _Kinship_1896.jpg

Myra
21-06-2011, 22:19
This is a lovely painting, not like these Modern Art Paintings.

cinnamon
21-06-2011, 22:35
This is a lovely painting, not like these Modern Art Paintings.

don´t get me wrong, i love modern art paintings, especially all the surrealists, but this painting is part of my childhood...:)

Margaretta
22-06-2011, 00:27
I have spent many happy hours viewing paintings in the National Gallery, Louvre, Prado, Reina Sofia, etc. but for the life of me can not tell the name of the painting that has impressed me the most it is in the Louvre and is a painting of an old man with children around a candle, with the flame of the candle shining through the old man's hands it is so like a photograph but considering that it was painted in the 1600's it is simply amazing and something all should see,I believe that the artist is Louis Davide but am not sure perhaps someone could tell me. Thank you in anticipation.

Skeggy, I think it is Georges de la Tour. It is a beautiful painting and such gentle expressions on the faces.
An effective painting with light from a lantern is by William Holman Hunt in Keble College Oxford and also St. Paul's Cathedral. It's called 'The light of the World'. It means a great deal to many Christians.

Artists whose paintings tell stories about themselves also attract me e.g.Frieda Kahlo, the Mexican artist.

I'm hoping to see the Tracy Emin Exhibition this week at the Hayward; I like her creativity and use of fabrics. The Saatchi gallery is exciting but I still love the Impressionists as they are the artists of my youth, colourful and uninhibited.

DaveRF
22-06-2011, 00:41
WE tend to go for quite abstract art however we also have some quite traditional stuff. My favourites are from two very unknown artists. My Grandad and my Aunt. My Grandad took up oil painting in his 60's and produced some fabulous work. Almost all of his work was Scottish landscapes or the Lake District. I have 6 of his paintings. My aunt has painted all her life. A lot of her work is very personal. She has reproduced some of our former homes and our previous pets. She can bring out the characters in her work which is a real gift. Most are packed just now as we are moving soon but I'll take some pictures and post them once we have moved.

Sorry to take your thread off at a tangent Margaretta but those I have are worth more to me than the Mona Lisa would be.

slodgedad
22-06-2011, 00:50
Skeggy, I think it is Georges de la Tour. It is a beautiful painting and such gentle expressions on the faces.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/La_Tour.jpg

Is this it.

CaribeCelt
22-06-2011, 03:30
Picasso's "Guernica".
Dont know how to post it up though.

Skeggy
22-06-2011, 07:09
Thanks Eliot, thats the one and thank you Margretta. to me it's breathtaking.

Margaretta
22-06-2011, 11:19
DDoyle that was fascinating. Shall have to watch the whole programme now. Need models to stand still for ......:lol:

Dali paintings were often dismissed but they are powerful, different and dramatic. The Pre-Raphaelites painted clothes so imaginatively too Zara.

Tracey...have you ever walked through a poppy field? It's just like that. Pleased to see delicate poppies growing in Tenerife too.

Marbro, the condition of your painting will make a big difference to the valuation. 'The Last Supper' is even more intriguing since the book of the Da Vinci Code.

Robert Thompson carved the mouse in furniture. I didn't know about the artist.

With Cheese. Have you painted your Summerhouse in the style of Warhol? Is there a Damien Hurst-type fox in a tank thing in the centre?

Faraway. I know it's not painting but love Wim Delvoye's construction machines.

Cinnamon...that's so sensitive. We all need that kind of comfort sometimes. Beautiful.

Myra...love your decisiveness but which is your favourite? Same with Slodgie.

Caribecelt. Agree. Guernica is priceless as an expression of the torture and agony experienced in the Spanish Civil War. Paintings make people so aware of situations. Hope someone can post this; I don't know how...

Yes Dave, painting is very subjective. The best-loved are often those done by our five-year-olds at school and by relatives. I treasure my aunt's embroidered pictures.
Now if that ironing pile keeps haunting me I'll do an Edvard Munch and SCREEEEEEEAM!!
Ahah! Subject for a new painting: the ironing pile!

williethetim
22-06-2011, 11:51
Terence Tenison Cuneo
Cuneo was born in London, the son of Cyrus and Nell Cuneo, artists who met while studying with Whistler in Paris. Terence Cuneo studied at the Chelsea Polytechnic and the Slade School of Art, before working as an illustrator for magazines, books and periodicals. In 1936 he started working in oils, continuing with his illustration work. During World War II he served as a sapper but also worked for the War Artists Advisors Committee, providing illustrations of aircraft factories and wartime events.

After the war, Cuneo was commissioned to produce a series of works illustrating railways, bridges and locomotives. A significant point in his career was his appointment as official artist for the Coronation of Elizabeth II, which brought his name before the public world-wide. He received more commissions from industry, which included depicting manufacturing, mineral extraction and road building, including the M1. He was most famous for his passion for engineering subjects, particularly locomotives and the railway as a whole. But in fact Cuneo painted over a wide range, from big game in Africa to landscapes. Further success was achieved in his regimental commissions, battle scenes and incidents as well as portraits (including H.M. the Queen, and Field Marshal Montgomery).

Many of these works include a small mouse (sometimes lifelike, sometimes cartoon-like), his trademark. They can be difficult to detect, and many people enjoy scouring his paintings to find one. Even some of his portraits of the famous contain a mouse.

His work has been used in every conceivable manner, from book jackets and model railway catalogues to posters and jigsaws and even Royal Mail postage stamps. It can be found in many museums and galleries, including Guildhall Art Gallery and the Royal Institution.

Revered by many of his peers and well-liked by the public, Cuneo was awarded the OBE and was a CVO. A 1.5 times life size bronze memorial statue of Cuneo, by Philip Jackson, stands in the main concourse at Waterloo Station in London. It was commissioned by the Terence Cuneo Memorial Trust (established March 2002) to create a permanent memorial to the artist, together with an annual prize at the Slade School of Art, given by the Trust. In tribute to Cuneo's trademark, the statue includes a hidden mouse peering from under a book by the artist's feet.

Zara
23-06-2011, 06:36
Just reading in yesterdays Typically Spanish that >>> Portraits of three lovers of the Málaga artist Pablo Picasso fetched the highest prices in a Christie’s of London Impressionist and Modern Art auction on Tuesday evening, when one of the artist’s portraits sold for more than double the pre-sale estimate. His portrait of Dora Maar, ‘Femme assise, robe bleue’, sold for more than 20 million €.

The second highest price was paid for, ‘Jeune fille endormie’, Picasso’s portrait of his lover, Marie-Térèse Walter. It was expected to fetch between 10 and 13 million €, but went for more than 15 million €.

Third place went to ‘Buste de Françoise’, a portrait of Françoise Gilot, reports that it went for more than 12 million €.

Read more: http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_31009.shtml#ixzz1Q4fqJCIH