PDA

View Full Version : When You Were Little...

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 20:13
On another forum someone asked if we did chores when we were young. This was my reply. What were your formative years like?...

When I was little, we lived in a very old place built in 1824. It was upstairs and had a landing which served as an entry for 3 other dwellings off it. There was no running hot water and no electric, my mum got that in for the birth of my brother when I was 6.
I remember the open fire range with the little metal hobs that could be swung into the fire to heat pots and kettles. The coal cellar was outside and down the landing steps, I hated having to go for coal in the winter. Did anyone have to make paper sticks out of rolled up and knotted newspapers? We couldn't always afford fire-lighters.
We had a little tin bath which was put on the living-room floor in front of the fire and filled by pots of hot water. There were 3 brothers at this time and the eldest got the bath first followed by second eldest and so on.
I remember after we got electricity trying to fill the bath and I lifted a pot full of boiling water of the cooker and I dropped it and it scalded all the skin of my left leg. I think I was about 7 or 8.
I also remember my mum thumped me because she sent me to the shop to buy a mantle for the gas lamp and I broke it on the way home. (We didn't have any money for another one).
Our "fridge" was a space under the sink with a little curtain enclosing it and we kept the margarine (not butter), lard and milk under there to keep them cool. Remember those big white enamel bread bins with "BREAD" written on the side in case you forgot what was in it. Anyway, getting back to the "chores" question, my 2 brothers and me had first to take all the rugs downstairs(no fitted carpets then), hang them over the clothes line and beat seven colours out of them with a carpet beater. ( It looked like a wicker tennis bat). This was done on a weekend, for weekdays we had a Ewebank carpet sweeper. (No hoover for us).
Dusting then had to be done everywhere, ornaments and furniture. Mum had a lot of brass stuff so that had to be "Brassoed".
If it was washing day we used an electric boiler to clean the clothes, (God, I remember mum used the boiler stick to hit us with!)and if it was sheets being washed we had to stand at one end with mum at the other and twist in different directions to squeeze the water out.
Mum was always knitting as it was cheaper than having to buy us new jerseys so we had to stand with our arms out holding the big loops of wool she bought so she could roll it into manageable balls for her knitting.
You'll notice I haven't mentioned my dad much as he was always away in "digs" working on the power lines. I remember he came back from months away working in Bahrein and he had a beard and was a deep brown. I was terrified! I didn't know who he was! I always remember he came back with a set of stamps for me with the Shah of Persia's face on them, beautiful they were.
I was 12 years old before I had the pleasure of running hot water. They demolished the dump we stayed in and put us in to a brand new council house with 3 bedrooms. ( I forgot to say the old place had only 1 bedroom and by the time we left there were 7 of us, 5 kids plus parents. Mum and dad had a bed in the living room curtained off). I really hated that place. I'm not very old, only 56 but I always remember going to the garage to get paraffin for the lamps and as I mentioned earlier, gas mantles.
You know what was funny? If any of our friends came to see if we were coming out to play, they got roped in to doing the chores as well! The door was never locked though and our next door neighbours were "uncle" and "auntie" so and so. Everyone knew each other and their business. Nostalgia....Do I want those days back? Too bloody right I don't! :lol:

sunspot
21-06-2011, 20:23
Lovely post H and it sure brought back memories,there was 10 kids in our house and dad was a farmer,mum seemed to be washing,cleaning or cooking 24/7 and im not surprised with us lot,most of what we ate came out of the garden,chickens,pigs and very often a Rabbit,we were so lucky living way out in the country and so lucky with how life was for us.....hard but what a life we had....could i live like that again?,oh yes if i was 50 years younger

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 20:23
You certainly brought me back in time Cam, I grew up with the Gas Light and well remember breaking the mantle trying to light it. We lived with our great grandmother when I was young and she did not trust electricity so we had no electricity till many years after her death. No central heating I well remember going to bed in the depths of winter and the sheets being damp, eating bread and dripping sarnies and strong sweet tea, happy days my axxe.

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 20:31
You certainly brought me back in time Cam, I grew up with the Gas Light and well remember breaking the mantle trying to light it. We lived with our great grandmother when I was young and she did not trust electricity so we had no electricity till many years after her death. No central heating I well remember going to bed in the depths of winter and the sheets being damp, eating bread and dripping sarnies and strong sweet tea, happy days my axxe.

No duvets then Dave! Sheets, umpteen blankets and a "Candlewick"!

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 20:38
The only duvets we had were big bullswoll Army greatcoats they were worth their weight in Gold. I am the exact same age as you Cam, and I never remember being sick as a child the odd earache which was cured with olive oil and cotton woll but never was sick with anything else as a child never saw a Doctor till I joined the Army at 17.

reggie
21-06-2011, 20:41
No duvets then Dave! Sheets, umpteen blankets and a "Candlewick"!
You were lucky, old army blankets that scratched you, and an old coat, and as billy connoly said, your legs down the sleaves of the eiderdown, more tea vicar - have another custard cream,

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 20:41
The only duvets we had were big bullswoll Army greatcoats they were worth their weight in Gold. I am the exact same age as you Cam, and I never remember being sick as a child the odd earache which was cured with olive oil and cotton woll but never was sick with anything else as a child never saw a Doctor till I joined the Army at 17.
You must be my long lost twin Dave, I joined the army at 16! (Boy service, RE):lol:

Added after 4 minutes:

Lovely post H and it sure brought back memories,there was 10 kids in our house and dad was a farmer,mum seemed to be washing,cleaning or cooking 24/7 and im not surprised with us lot,most of what we ate came out of the garden,chickens,pigs and very often a Rabbit,we were so lucky living way out in the country and so lucky with how life was for us.....hard but what a life we had....could i live like that again?,oh yes if i was 50 years younger

When we were young sunspot, we ate as we played. We often caught rabbits and skinned and gutted them and cooked them on an open fire. Same with trout, we'd "guddle" them in the burn and gut them and cook them. Used to nick fruit out of other people's orchards. There was always plenty of wild gooseberry bushes (we knew where every one of them was). If you'd lived up our way, we'd probably have pinched your "neeps" (turnips) and peas as well! :lol:

tracey
21-06-2011, 20:48
I am still pinching fruit and veg :whistle::devil:

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 20:52
There is a long tradition of Army service in my family Cam, my grandfather was in a Scottish Regiment in both World Wars, I believe he was a prisoner of war during the second WW a guest of the Japanese at the fall of Singapore. The Regiment he served in had two cap badges front and rear on the headdress. I thing it was the Argyle and Southerland Highlanders, my father served in the 2nd Bt, Irish Army as did I. My youngest son is going for interview next week for the British Army he wants to join the Irish Guards, I hope he is successful. We seem to have an aful lot in common Cam, incuding the Claddagh San Telmo.

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 20:52
Yeah, but that's out of Mercadona!:lol:

tracey
21-06-2011, 20:55
lol no! Its more like ´go and get me a lemon off that tree down the road´ or snapping off a few bit of fennel along the road. Tame pinching! :ashamed:

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 21:06
The funny thing is we were all dirt poor and had no conscept of poverty, everyone was in the same boat. We were healthy and happy with our lot in life.

Zara
21-06-2011, 21:07
What fab answers they have brought back so many memories - thank you so much for starting this thread HM.

Sandals that were a size too small so had the toes cut out, socks turned inside out so they lasted more than 1 day, but still a bloody big bow of ribbon in my hair. Of course the coat on the bed to keep warm. The outside lavvy and tearing newspaper and hanging it on a nail until we went up-market and got Izal. Liberty Bodice and bits of elastic to keep our knee socks up.

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 21:11
Don't forget the head lice every child that I knew had lice at some time, remember the carbolic soap and fine tooth combe. We did not have ice cream during the winter and the first ice cream you got for the year was always on Patricks Day we used to look forward so much to Paddys Day.

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 21:16
Probably more the boys this, especially if you were brought up in a village rather than a town. But do you remember in a secluded place lighting a fire and you and your pals had potatoes with you. You'd pop them into the embers of the fire 'til they were black then use a stick to get them out again. The bloody thing was burnt black on the outside and raw in the middle! We ate them anyway... nobody cared.
Building houses out of the farmer's hay bales, so much more fun than the old haystacks. Oh, that reminds me when it was still haystacks and the old threshing machines were still in use. Just when they'd lifted the last "stooks" of corn with the pitch-fork, there'd be dozens of rats and mice underneath and the farmer's Jack Russell terriers would go mental trying to kill them all!
I'm not very old but before I joined the army at 16 I worked for the Co-op dairy delivering milk on the last horse and cart! I used to hate it because all the wee electric milk floats were already finished their round while we had to go back for another load as the horse could only pull so much.
Did anyone go picking "Rosehips"? We got paid 4d a pound and they were used to make the equivalent of "Delrosa". We collected them in the summer holidays which seemed to last for months and it was ALWAYS sunny! Haha! Do you remember in your bare feet bursting the tar bubbles on the road with your toes, then your mum would hammer you because she had to use margarine to clean the tar off!
We built our own bikes as well. We'd go to the coup (tip), and grab an old frame then try to get a couple of wheels to match, no 21 gear doodahs then! Never bothered with brakes either 'cos you just put your foot on the front tyre at the forks. You got belted for that as well because it wore the sole of your shoe away!:lol:

tracey
21-06-2011, 21:18
The funny thing is we were all dirt poor and had no conscept of poverty, everyone was in the same boat. We were healthy and happy with our lot in life.

Thats so true. Running bare foot (my shoes had to actually fall off before getting new ones) and chuffed to be given an apple. We didnt know any different. Plus, very few were overweight. cause there was nothing on telly that interested us and we didnt have games consols

Added after 2 minutes:

Ps I am only 37 but grew up in a very poor area :cold:

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 21:21
What fab answers they have brought back so many memories - thank you so much for starting this thread HM.

Sandals that were a size too small so had the toes cut out, socks turned inside out so they lasted more than 1 day, but still a bloody big bow of ribbon in my hair. Of course the coat on the bed to keep warm. The outside lavvy and tearing newspaper and hanging it on a nail until we went up-market and got Izal. Liberty Bodice and bits of elastic to keep our knee socks up.
The bloody bottom of our legs turned white 'cos the blood couldn't flow past them!:lol:
We wore long knee socks too 'cos we didn't get to wear long trousers 'til secondary school. I was nearly 12 before I got long trousers!

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 21:22

This reminded me of one of many stories from my youth ...............we used to have Duffle coats as top covers on the bed .Me and my older brother were always fighting .He went down stairs to complain i was pulling the Duffle coat off his bed .My mum said when Aunty beryl comes you must call it a "Candlewick bedspread" (cos she was posh !!!)...........anyway one night we started fighting he went downstairs and complained and Aunty Beryl was there .My mum told him to tell me to behave and not keep pulling the Candlewick bedspread off ,He replied "You might want to tell him yourself cos hes just pulled THE SLEEVE OFF THE CANDLEWICK BED SPREAD !!!" .............now those where the days you could belt your kids !!!

Added after 2 minutes:

We never had supermarkets where we lived ..............lucky you !!!!LOL

tracey
21-06-2011, 21:26
This reminded me of one of many stories from my youth ...............we used to have Duffle coats as top covers on the bed .Me and my older brother were always fighting .He went down stairs to complain i was pulling the Duffle coat off his bed .My mum said when Aunty beryl comes you must call it a "Candlewick bedspread" (cos she was posh !!!)...........anyway one night we started fighting he went downstairs and complained and Aunty Beryl was there .My mum told him to tell me to behave and not keep pulling the Candlewick bedspread off ,He replied "You might want to tell him yourself cos hes just pulled THE SLEEVE OFF THE CANDLEWICK BED SPREAD !!!" .............now those where the days you could belt your kids !!!

Added after 2 minutes:

We never had supermarkets where we lived ..............lucky you !!!!LOL

:crylaughing:

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 21:29
The first two wheeler I ever had was a second hand bike which my parents bought me one year for my birthday, I will always remember my mother telling me one day that mister hipwell wanted to see me, he owned the local auction house and sold just about everything. I went up the town to his shop not knowing what to expect and there in the hall was the most beautiful bike I had ever seen and he told me it was mine. I cried all the way home with happiness, I knew it must have been a huge sacrifice for my parents to buy it for me.

reggie
21-06-2011, 21:32
Kids today dont know there born, Was it because there was no money ? or just a differant attiude to life, If i went missing nobody would know, so i used to find myself, :confused: Was in JD sports at the weekend with 4 year old grandaughter, well she went missin for like 1 minute, Janet went mental screaming her name, I was flappin a bit inside but didnt want to make it worse, anyway she was looking at the bikes, so janet calmed down, i was thinking, what was that all about, 100 yds away is a river that i used to play by at 4 years old, time have changed, or didnt my parents give a toss ?

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 21:32
The first two wheeler I ever had was a second hand bike which my parents bought me one year for my birthday, I will always remember my mother telling me one day that mister hipwell wanted to see me, he owned the local auction house and sold just about everything. I went up the town to his shop not knowing what to expect and there in the hall was the most beautiful bike I had ever seen and he told me it was mine. I cried all the way home with happiness, I knew it must have been a huge sacrifice for my parents to buy it for me.

Yes the things parents did just to get you a ...........PAPER ROUND !!!

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 21:34

You never forget things like that Dave. We didn't have two half-pennies to rub together but we always muddled through. Remember Christmases? You got one big present, then a load of stuff in your sock at the bottom of your bed. Usually nuts and raisins and an orange! Oh! I remember my first pomegranate, I didn't know what it was. The shame, we actually had to take it to one of our neighbours to show us how to cut it and eat it! Haha!

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 21:36
Yes the things parents did just to get you a ...........PAPER ROUND !!!

I left school at 12 to work full time, never idle since till I retired two years ago.

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 21:36
Kids today dont know there born, Was it because there was no money ? or just a differant attiude to life, If i went missing nobody would know, so i used to find myself, :confused: Was in JD sports at the weekend with 4 year old grandaughter, well she went missin for like 1 minute, Janet went mental screaming her name, I was flappin a bit inside but didnt want to make it worse, anyway she was looking at the bikes, so janet calmed down, i was thinking, what was that all about, 100 yds away is a river that i used to play by at 4 years old, time have changed, or didnt my parents give a toss ?

I'm thanking you here reg as there isn't a "Thanks" button on your post for me to click!

Edit: Who had a "Suzy Wong" on their wall?

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 21:42

It was a different World Reggie, peoples expectations were just to get by from day to day and nothing else. Thank God for education it changed so many lives.

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 21:48
Dont mention Christmas ...........even so many years after i can still taste those "LICK EM STICK EM " chain decorations .

We had lots of jobs to do ,chop sticks for the fire ,fill the coal buckets which sometimes we had to borrow from the neighbours 2 buckets exactly the same though one large and one smaller ,take the large one to borrow the smaller to return !!!,do the pots worst job though was scrubbing the front door step you had to do this with a pumice stone first then scrub like ....,brasso the door handle and knocker !!!
Along with 3 jobs ,morning paper round ,evening buthchers round (another tale !) and working in the local slaughter house on Saturdays not pretty still the days were they killed with a bolt and hammer ,all monies went into the kitty .

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 21:49
We'd dam one of the streams out in the country and put a couple of pipes in for an outflow once it got so high. That's how we learned to swim. We built a dam out of sods once and it knitted together. The farmer had to come with his tractor to pull it down as there wasn't enough water getting down-stream.

with cheese
21-06-2011, 21:49
Reggie, you are not wrong mate. But do we panic now because of the dickheads out there that want to harm the kids.
We were poor Dad was a docker, always on strike but didn't want to be.
Unloaded banana boats once for charity, whilst on strike, he then used the nana's they paid him with to feed us.
Bread and dripping, top the teapot up.
Biscuits were a luxury at Christmas.
Great, best Mum and Dad, sure others may think that they had the best (or worse) but you didn't get better ones than mine, just equally as good perhaps.

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 21:55
RIVERS...STREAMS !!! we had a canal ,the place we used to swim had an allottment nearby dived in one day ...................straight through a rotting pig !!!words failed me as did my excuses from the clinging stink

Myra
21-06-2011, 21:55
There were nine of us, my Dad worked on the Docks, we were short of nothing, he was a right "Tea Leaf", we had new bikes, plenty of presents, but my Dad tipped every penny up to my Mum, and she was a "Good Manager", the only biscuits we had were broken ones, and we used to ask the Ice-cream man for broken lollies, until we got a fridge and freezer, after that my Mum made us lollies.
How come I have gone down in the "Ranks", I used to be a Super Tenerfian, but now I have only got a few posts.

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 21:56
Reggie, you are not wrong mate. But do we panic now because of the dickheads out there that want to harm the kids.
We were poor Dad was a docker, always on strike but didn't want to be.
Unloaded banana boats once for charity, whilst on strike, he then used the nana's they paid him with to feed us.
Bread and dripping, top the teapot up.
Biscuits were a luxury at Christmas.
Great, best Mum and Dad, sure others may think that they had the best (or worse) but you didn't get better ones than mine, just equally as good perhaps.
Sorry i removed my post it looked so wrong

with cheese
21-06-2011, 21:59
Fridge and freezer, we only got ice lollies in the Winter, when the milk froze.

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 22:01

And the birds got the best bit !!!

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 22:02
RIVERS...STREAMS !!! we had a canal ,the place we used to swim had an allottment nearby dived in one day ...................straight through a rotting pig !!!words failed me as did my excuses from the clinging stink

You should have grabbed it's ear and gave Mrs. Oleg a nice purse...Oh, no you CAN'T do that can you?:lol:

ddoyle
21-06-2011, 22:03
I remember a story my grandmother used to tell us when we were young about my grandfather, during the first WW he was in the trenches and got some leave once he wrote home to tell my grandmother when he would be home, she had 12 children at this time and very little money only what was sent home. A couple of days before he got home she ran out of money and did not know what to do as she had to feed him and the kids. She broke into the gas meter and took some money out of it so when he got home she had a lovely spread on the table. He said to her you must have struck oil missus no she said but you are close it was gas. She told him what she had done and he refused to eat a morsale of the food she had laid on for him he believed he would go to hell if he was shot in the trenches after eating stolen food. True story simple times simple people.

slodgedad
21-06-2011, 22:03
Remember when Chicken was a luxury only to be had at Christmas, and now it's the only meat most people can afford.

Loved it as a kid, hate the bloody stuff now.

Myra
21-06-2011, 22:05
I can remember having a "Pay as you go Televison" and my other half put a hair clip in it so we got free viewing.

reggie
21-06-2011, 22:07
Good parents, worth there weight in gold, unfortunatly mine wernt, I'm damaged, i know i am, tried too hard with my 2, and ruined them, 2 grandaughters now, have i learnt, nah, spoil them rotten, Recession ? what recession, We all have a shilling for the meter.Yes ?

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 22:08

And the birds got the best bit !!!

You never see the blue-tits pecking the milk tops any more...:(

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 22:08
You should have grabbed it's ear and gave Mrs. Oleg a nice purse...Oh, no you CAN'T do that can you?:lol:

Talking of ears ...............mine glowed in the dark for weeks !!! mother had a great left hook

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 22:11
I can remember having a "Pay as you go Televison" and my other half put a hair clip in it so we got free viewing.

My mum had one of them 'til the day she died. She used it like a bank. The man would come to empty it and take his rental and she got what was left. A big bag of pound coins! I never could convince her it was a false economy...

Myra
21-06-2011, 22:11
I got a left hook off my Mum when I was about nine, because I asked her what f--- O-- meant, I had heard somebody say it at school, and I only asked what it meant, but whallop. do not ever say that again was the reply.

with cheese
21-06-2011, 22:12
only blue tits I saw was when nextdoor neighbour was hanging her crop top on the line in the middle of winter.

You have turned out a good geezer Reggie, no doubt about that.

marbro8
21-06-2011, 22:15
my earlyest memories where living with my nan and grandad, they used to live in a mid terraced house in a place called clayhanger in brownhills, they had an orchard and pig styes, and i remember the hooks in the ceiling that they used to hang the pigs from lol,there was a working mens club over the road and i used to stand outside on a saturday night and the boozed up regulars used to come out and feel sory for me and give me sixpence!!!! ha ha(i suppose it was modern day begging) as i grew older mom and dad got a semi round the corner and my sister was born, i remember the rag and bone man coming by one day giving out balloons for any old crap so i gave him our kitchen table and chairs, (well i thought they where scrap) and the sight of my dad trying to wrestle them back from him was priceless ha ha, i got to keep the balloons but got a sore a**e:D

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 22:16
Do you remember making slides in the winter at school? You'd spend ages getting it really slippy then when you came out at break-time the janitor had spread ashes from the boilers all over it.:(

reggie
21-06-2011, 22:18

OH thats well funny, I never called at my janets house because her dad was a scottish drunk, and used to shout and ball at me, but one day he was working away, now janet had an elder sister who had ideas above her station, so i goes round and got sat on the sofa with janet, suddenly TV went off, elder sister was mortified, i started laughing like i do, so i had a look and theres a bloody great big tin box on the back of the tele,they used to hide it behind the curtains, When janet is using the iron sometimes electric cuts out, i start laughing, and she just knows what i'm laughing at, now that is poor, her dad always had money for drink, what a wa-k-r he was,

with cheese
21-06-2011, 22:19
School with a boiler. We had to sit round as the headmaster sucked a peppermint, to stay warm.

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 22:20
my earlyest memories where living with my nan and grandad, they used to live in a mid terraced house in a place called clayhanger in brownhills, they had an orchard and pig styes, and i remember the hooks in the ceiling that they used to hang the pigs from lol,there was a working mens club over the road and i used to stand outside on a saturday night and the boozed up regulars used to come out and feel sory for me and give me sixpence!!!! ha ha(i suppose it was modern day begging) as i grew older mom and dad got a semi round the corner and my sister was born, i remember the rag and bone man coming by one day giving out balloons for any old crap so i gave him our kitchen table and chairs, (well i thought they where scrap) and the sight of my dad trying to wrestle them back from him was priceless ha ha, i got to keep the balloons but got a sore a**e:D

I forgot about the rag and bone man Mark! I did something similar but it was dad's Sunday suit! He was always working away so it was always just hanging up in the wardrobe. I heard the old trumpet going and ran downstairs with the suit but got rugby tackled by mum before I got to the rag man. It was balloons he gave us too.

Myra
21-06-2011, 22:24
When we all got a bit older, we used to "Treat" our Dad, because my Mum used to give him £2 to go out with, and if she knew we had given him any money she would not give him anything, so he used to hide it under the mat in his car, but one day he forgot, and went to the Garage and used their "Hoover", and sucked all his money up, and could not get it back, we felt so sorry for him.

slodgedad
21-06-2011, 22:25
I remember saying, 'Bloody Hell, Mother' to my mum when I was 15 and finding myself on the floor.

'Never let me hear you swear in front of a woman,' Boomed my Dad's voice.'You've never heard me.'

He was right, I'd never heard him swear till he took me out for a pint when I was 18.

It was in the men's room in the local club, I'd never heard such a mucky mouth.

But never in front of a woman.

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 22:26
dad got a semi :D

OMG ............did we need to know this ????

Its like fruit ,you knew what time of year it was .............Pomegranits ,Coconuts came as the fair arrived Race week in Doncaster first week in September (then the St.Ledger was on a Wednesday !) and finished in time for Hull fair second week in October ,Christmas was Tangerines though what the heck where mandarins ?never heard of these as a kid same with clemementines and satsumas ??? only time you got DATES too (girls tipsey and all that !!!LOL) and only time you saw NUTS !!!
June saw strawberries ,july blackcurrants ,blackberries ................now any time !!!

with cheese
21-06-2011, 22:26
Our next door neighbour ETHEL, that was his name, used to nick off the rag and bone man's cart.
He was called ETHEL, cos that was his favourite thing to do, my dad's name for him.

reggie
21-06-2011, 22:27
Do you remember making slides in the winter at school? You'd spend ages getting it really slippy then when you came out at break-time the janitor had spread ashes from the boilers all over it.:(

Not at my school cam, Janitor used to hide until 4,30, Bit rough it was, teachers went round in pairs, yeh we had some great slides, We was one of the first with a ****, they used to drag him up and down to shine it up, poor bug-er. think he commited suicide in the end, just after he was picked for the rugby team ?

Myra
21-06-2011, 22:29
I knew a family and their Mother was an "Alcoholic", she used to "Pawn" their Dad's suit every week to buy drink, and when they all gave her their "Dig" money, she would get it back, eventually one of the Boys made a tray that slid under the Table top, and put the suit there, and she never found it, and never knew where it had gone.

reggie
21-06-2011, 22:33
I forgot about the rag and bone man Mark! I did something similar but it was dad's Sunday suit! He was always working away so it was always just hanging up in the wardrobe. I heard the old trumpet going and ran downstairs with the suit but got rugby tackled by mum before I got to the rag man. It was balloons he gave us too.

I have a mate who is a antique dealer, he calls pound coins balloons, saw him yesterday 6 bas-ard balloons for a gallon of petrol, i didnt give that for my first car he said, one of my funniest mates, But shoves all his balloons up his nose, silly boy

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 22:36
Cinema ......you got News Reel,Cartoon ,Adverts ,B Film, intermission ,Whats coming next week and what coming soon ,Then the big film .then a five hour event ,now the only five you see is the popcorn ,or coke ,or icecream ,at FIVE POUNDS !!!!

Missed off and ...........................GOD SAVE THE QUEEN !!!

with cheese
21-06-2011, 22:50
Love "The sex pistols"

Mawkin
21-06-2011, 23:11
Remember the first time I went to the cinema was the Queens Coronation in 1952 the whole school went and to go by charabanc was a treat.

We use to make rugs out of pieces of cloth threaded through the cotton sacks used on the farm often run out of a colour and they would always turn out as a rug of many colours. They where warmer than the tiles on the floor until a spark flew out of the fire, them it was a rush to put it out.

The only transport we had was a plank with a old pram axle and wheels attached with go fast stripes which really moved down some of the hills. No crash helmets ,knee pads or elbow protectors in those days just patches in the seats of your pants.

atlantico
22-06-2011, 03:01
Gee wizz . . . . . . . can we re-name this thread to "Old Gits Corner" please ??

When i was 6, I got a Playstation 2 for my birthday . .. .. .. .. .. .. but I wanted a Nintendo . . . . . . so I screamed . . . . . .and I got a PSP !!

onelegnofeet
22-06-2011, 08:39
Gee wizz . . . . . . . can we re-name this thread to "Old Gits Corner" please ??

When i was 6, I got a Playstation 2 for my birthday . .. .. .. .. .. .. but I wanted a Nintendo . . . . . . so I screamed . . . . . .and I got a PSP !!

OFF TOPIC .......................this thread is not about DREAMS !!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

williethetim
22-06-2011, 10:48
Getting washed in the big sink in the kitchen, the jelly getting prepared in an ashet in the bath to cool it, helping my maw with the wool while she turned the hanks into balls, making a bogie out of an old pram,making a tent out of an old blanket over the washing line tied down with pegs, frisbees out of lolly pop sticks, kirby, pawldies, relievio, a stick and rope to get conkers,no fitted carpets , we hade to use johnsons wax around the outside tiles, taking beer bottles back to the pub for the deposit money ,an empty shoe box for my christmas ( got told it was an action man deserter )....sunday paper run bag weighed a feckin ton with all the supplements...

Harmonicaman
22-06-2011, 17:11
Getting washed in the big sink in the kitchen, the jelly getting prepared in an ashet in the bath to cool it, helping my maw with the wool while she turned the hanks into balls, making a bogie out of an old pram,making a tent out of an old blanket over the washing line tied down with pegs, frisbees out of lolly pop sticks, kirby, pawldies, relievio, a stick and rope to get conkers,no fitted carpets , we hade to use johnsons wax around the outside tiles, taking beer bottles back to the pub for the deposit money ,an empty shoe box for my christmas ( got told it was an action man deserter )....sunday paper run bag weighed a feckin ton with all the supplements...

Laughed out loud when I read that willie!:lol:

Added after 7 minutes:

Remember toffee "penny dainties", you'd crack them on the side of the kerb to share with your mate. Half each. Halfpenny caramels, toffee covered in chocolate. Spanish Gold tobacco! It came in a pouch like real rolling tobacco, and it was long and stringy and tasted great. Did you ever have these willie?
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/jelly-willies-willy-sweets.jpg

onelegnofeet
22-06-2011, 17:47
Remember toffee "penny dainties", you'd crack them on the side of the kerb to share with your mate. Half each. Halfpenny caramels, toffee covered in chocolate. Spanish Gold tobacco! It came in a pouch like real rolling tobacco, and it was long and stringy and tasted great. Did you ever have these willie?
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/jelly-willies-willy-sweets.jpgliquoirish root ,barley sugar twists ,and from my home town Butterscotch( made by Parkinsons of Doncaster )

Blackjacks (can you still call them that ?) Everlasting strip (bet you cant call them that these days cos they werent everlasting but !!) Jubillees (frozen ice drink ) Crisps (only salted ,and you had to do that yourself) Top Ten (ice cream lolly cover in choc&nuts )

marbro8
22-06-2011, 17:48
OMG ............did we need to know this ????

Its like fruit ,you knew what time of year it was .............Pomegranits ,Coconuts came as the fair arrived Race week in Doncaster first week in September (then the St.Ledger was on a Wednesday !) and finished in time for Hull fair second week in October ,Christmas was Tangerines though what the heck where mandarins ?never heard of these as a kid same with clemementines and satsumas ??? only time you got DATES too (girls tipsey and all that !!!LOL) and only time you saw NUTS !!!
June saw strawberries ,july blackcurrants ,blackberries ................now any time !!!bloody hell olnf the way you've eddited that you could get a job with the BBC or the police:D

Added after 11 minutes:

Getting washed in the big sink in the kitchen, the jelly getting prepared in an ashet in the bath to cool it, helping my maw with the wool while she turned the hanks into balls, making a bogie out of an old pram,making a tent out of an old blanket over the washing line tied down with pegs, frisbees out of lolly pop sticks, kirby, pawldies, relievio, a stick and rope to get conkers,no fitted carpets , we hade to use johnsons wax around the outside tiles, taking beer bottles back to the pub for the deposit money ,an empty shoe box for my christmas ( got told it was an action man deserter )....sunday paper run bag weighed a feckin ton with all the supplements...there was a pub down the road from us that we used to take the dayla pop bottles back to and get 10p a bottle, but they got wise to us taking bottles back that we had not brought from there and started to put their stickers on the bottles to identify them, they put them in a large shed at the rear of the pub, we used to wait for about 10 mins then nip over the fence pick up a crate with the empty bottles in and take them back all over again:lol::lol::lol:, we made a killing, but the looks on their faces when we kept returning was a picture!!

liquoirish root ,barley sugar twists ,and from my home town Butterscotch( made by Parkinsons of Doncaster )

Blackjacks (can you still call them that ?) Everlasting strip (bet you cant call them that these days cos they werent everlasting but !!) Jubillees (frozen ice drink ) Crisps (only salted ,and you had to do that yourself) Top Ten (ice cream lolly cover in choc&nuts )and aztec bars mmm

onelegnofeet
22-06-2011, 18:06
One used to pay to go into the cinema ,then open the doors for the others .The manager at our local got wise to this ,not so clever as us thoughwe used togo in a group of fifteen then ,group round the door and burst in running in all dierections !!!Now if that were my kids ..........................WALLOP

Harmonicaman
22-06-2011, 18:34
liquoirish root ,barley sugar twists ,and from my home town Butterscotch( made by Parkinsons of Doncaster )

Blackjacks (can you still call them that ?) Everlasting strip (bet you cant call them that these days cos they werent everlasting but !!) Jubillees (frozen ice drink ) Crisps (only salted ,and you had to do that yourself) Top Ten (ice cream lolly cover in choc&nuts )

What shape were those Jubilees called Oleg? Here's a piccy...
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-9.png

reggie
22-06-2011, 19:14

Jubbly was for peasants, they did a posh one, it was square,, i think it was called a barrs, on the jubbly, if you got it wrong when you opened it, it leapt out of the packet, Did you bin it, nah, you legged it home and washed it,

howard thornton
22-06-2011, 19:20
Jubbly was for peasants, they did a posh one, it was square,, i think it was called a barrs, on the jubbly, if you got it wrong when you opened it, it leapt out of the packet, Did you bin it, nah, you legged it home and washed it,

you ate it without legging it home. did you get my text about the gyp.. and the mosque?

reggie
22-06-2011, 19:24
you ate it without legging it home. did you get my text about the gyp.. and the mosque?

Howard, dirty boy, yes i got the txt thanx, why dont you put it on here,

Zara
22-06-2011, 19:44
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/images/retrosweets/sugarmice.jpg

Bisto Kids, kazoos, Mr. Potato Head and Etch-a-sketch

onelegnofeet
22-06-2011, 19:55

Blinking heck i really did mispell it !!!

ETCH A SKETCH ..........posh ,we had tracing paper ,pencil and brass rubbing (no Reggie nothing sexual!!!)

with cheese
22-06-2011, 20:02
Howard, dirty boy, yes i got the txt thanx, why dont you put it on here,
I am a Gypsy Muslim.

Sherbert pips and tom thumb drops.

Harmonicaman
22-06-2011, 20:06
Remember the big dentist van that used to visit all the primary schools? They used to give you gas for a filling. God! I hated that smell!
Balaclavas to keep your head warm in winter. Gloves with string on that went through the sleeves of your jacket so you wouldn't lose them. Everyone seemed to have runny noses ( ♫ Greensleeves was all my joy...♫ ). Giving your mate a "bar" on your bike. In the country we set fire to the whin bushes (Gorse). Egg collections, every boy had one though you can't do it now. Girls skipping with two ropes, the holders crossing their arms as they twirled the ropes.
Tree houses (confused fathers wondering where all their nails and wood went). Couffling (Fife word) meaning to jump over a stream at the widest point you could manage. The wider the jump, the higher the esteem from your peers.
Tizzy is a city person and she is amazed how I can tell a bird by the way it flies or the sound it makes, we grew up learning these things. We knew when they nested, where they nested and when they would all bugger off for the winter again. We knew where all the chestnut trees were for "conkers". Fruit trees were known by everyone! If we got stung by nettles, the antidote was there in the shape of dock leaves. (Also made passable toilet paper in an emergency!).
I loved being young...

with cheese
22-06-2011, 20:14
The rest of us ar not Octanarian's Cam.
Still got some used dock leaves if anyone wants to purchase.

Harmonicaman
22-06-2011, 20:20
The rest of us ar not Octanarian's Cam.
Still got some used dock leaves if anyone wants to purchase.
I'm fifty feckin' six kev! Not 86!:lol:

with cheese
22-06-2011, 20:21
Sorry mate couldn't resist. deepest apologies.

reggie
22-06-2011, 20:31
Remember the big dentist van that used to visit all the primary schools? They used to give you gas for a filling. God! I hated that smell!
Balaclavas to keep your head warm in winter. Gloves with string on that went through the sleeves of your jacket so you wouldn't lose them. Everyone seemed to have runny noses ( ♫ Greensleeves was all my joy...♫ ). Giving your mate a "bar" on your bike. In the country we set fire to the whin bushes (Gorse). Egg collections, every boy had one though you can't do it now. Girls skipping with two ropes, the holders crossing their arms as they twirled the ropes.
Tree houses (confused fathers wondering where all their nails and wood went). Couffling (Fife word) meaning to jump over a stream at the widest point you could manage. The wider the jump, the higher the esteem from your peers.
Tizzy is a city person and she is amazed how I can tell a bird by the way it flies or the sound it makes, we grew up learning these things. We knew when they nested, where they nested and when they would all bugger off for the winter again. We knew where all the chestnut trees were for "conkers". Fruit trees were known by everyone! If we got stung by nettles, the antidote was there in the shape of dock leaves. (Also made passable toilet paper in an emergency!).
I loved being young...

Janet and I was teaching our 4 year old lexie to skip at the weekend, 2 year old lilly was gob smacked, she was jumping up and down anywhere, not quite got the hang of it, Janet was away holding her arm in a sling, singing, jelly on a plate jelly on a plate, wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate, I was busy watching janets jiggers, always did have a nice pair,

Brian
22-06-2011, 20:36
I had an elder brother and next door only had a boy a couple of years older than me, so all my clothes were 'hand me downs', I didn't know what new clothes were until I was about 14. Could have been worse, I could have had an elder sister.

Mawkin
22-06-2011, 20:41
Remember the Ovaltinee boys and girls who where broad casted on Radio Luxembourg on the old wireless powered by the accumulator if it had enough power in it after the football scores on Saturday. It was one of my tasks to take it down the garage to have it charged up as we only had the one.

Harmonicaman
I had an elder brother and next door only had a boy a couple of years older than me, so all my clothes were 'hand me downs', I didn't know what new clothes were until I was about 14. Could have been worse, I could have had an elder sister.

Billy Connolly said his mum bought him his clothes from charity shops. He was the only one who went to school dressed as a Japanese Admiral!:lol:

reggie

Nowt wrong with womens underwear Brian, Trust me ive been trying to get into them most of my life.

onelegnofeet
22-06-2011, 20:48
. Giving your mate a "bar" .

Sounds painful !!!........your BAR where i was dragged up was a "CROSSIE" and where i live know its a "PAG".................

When you got stung by wasps bees ,mum used to put Dolly Blue on it ,which was for putting in the dolly tub when boling whites which you swished about with a Dolly Peg (which became your horse ,rocketship to play flash Gordon ,or Dan Dare )

Zara
22-06-2011, 20:53
I was an Ovaltinee weren't they followed by Dan Dare ........ Pilot of the future !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv5R9CN31Xw

with cheese
22-06-2011, 20:54
Only went to school every four weeks as we shared a uniform in our street.

Reggie teaching kids how to skip, yeah skip giving discounts. Get other Kev round to teach them hop scotch, bloody cheats he does.

onelegnofeet
22-06-2011, 21:06
I was an Ovaltinee weren't they followed by Dan Dare ........ Pilot of the future !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv5R9CN31Xw

You really were rich Ovaltine AND Etch A Sketch .....................

Cant even say we were poor ,we had to save up to be poor ..........

Harmonicaman
22-06-2011, 21:15
Rope swings over the "river", (stream), throwing rocks at wasp's bikes and praying they weren't chasing you when they all came flying out! Climbing up a tree to the most slender of branches blowing and swaying in the wind to get to a crow's nest and putting the egg in your mouth to climb back down again. Emptying all the gunpowder out of bangers and making a "super-bomb"! Going on the yearly picnic with the Women's Rural Institute and getting a goodie bag with a pie, sandwiches, crisps and a bottle of pop. Sunday school; used to keep the threepenny bit mum gave us for the collection plate.
How to find a lapwing's nest (Peewit). The peewit will sit on the nest in a field as long as you don't climb over the fence, as soon as you do it's off for a walk. trailing it's wing as though it was hurt and trying to lure you away from the nest. What to do is get your mate to stare at where the bird is sitting before you climb the fence then get him to direct you as you walk towards it. As you get close, really slow down as you are liable to stand on the well camouflaged nest and eggs. How to "blow" an egg. Not everybody carries needles about with them, so, a thorn from a hawthorn bush and prick a hole in each end of the egg, depending on egg type blow gently or harder for size 'til the egg empties. Add to collection.
Contrary to popular belief we didn't "tickle" trout, we "guddled" them, which meant getting in the burn beside them. Of course they swam under rocks or the bank and this is where the "guddling" skill was needed, you had to gently feel under the rock 'til you could feel the trout's skin and gently push it against the rock so it had nowhere to go and you could grag it. Easy peasy!

with cheese
22-06-2011, 21:30
And catching lixards and slow worms, with the odd grass snake or adder thrown in.
Abandoned fox holes, dug out and made as a base. Flee ridden air raid shelters.

Harmonicaman
22-06-2011, 21:35
And catching lixards and slow worms, with the odd grass snake or adder thrown in.
Abandoned fox holes, dug out and made as a base. Flee ridden air raid shelters.
Kept the lice down! Camomile lotion for chicken pox and sunburn. Castor oil for any bloody thing! Vicks vapour rub, (I liked that). Victory V lozenges to keep the old nasal passages clear.

with cheese
22-06-2011, 22:04
One for Howard, how about sucking a Fishermens Friend.
Syrup of figs.

reggie
22-06-2011, 22:16
Night fishing for eel's, hurracane lamps, methalated spirit primus stove, only been there an hour and ate everything, rest of the weekend to get through, used to wait outside of the chippy hoping he would give you whats left, Slept about an hour all weekend, spent the bus fare home, split up to hitch hike home, we used to shout at the others if we got a lift first, black bright and knackered, great times, no drink, no drugs.

Mawkin
22-06-2011, 22:16
Bread crust soaked with hot water wrapped in a rag as a poultice when wounds went septic no antibiotics then.

with cheese
22-06-2011, 22:20
Bread crust soaked with hot water wrapped in a rag as a poultice when wounds went septic no antibiotics then.

Bloody trenches.

onelegnofeet
23-06-2011, 07:22
Kept the lice down! Camomile lotion for chicken pox and sunburn. Castor oil for any bloody thing! Vicks vapour rub, (I liked that). Victory V lozenges to keep the old nasal passages clear.

And becoming the very first PUNK ROCKERS no not the 70s much much earlier .......if you were unlucky enough to catch RING WORM ,you got your head shaved and painted PURPLE ..........so forget it you lot in your 40s you werent the first !!!NAH! NAH!

SUNDAYS .......so as to be ready for school the next day ,you were bathed ,hair shampoo'd ,checked for NITS (cos parents then thought they lived in dirty hair !)nails cut ,then on with the dosing up ......cod liver oil ,Fennings fever Cure (to ward off colds )Syrup of figs (even if you werent bung up !!)and in the winter months grannies rough old hands scrathing into your chest as she rubbed in GOOSE GREASE to keep out the cold !!!!

This threads turning into "WHO HAD THE WORST TIME !!!":reading::lol:

Added after 3 minutes:

And you collected as many old news papers as you could ..........take them down to the chippy ,were they swapped them for a bag of "Chips and scraps "

The good old days of fish and chips in Newspaper ,tasted fab and you got a bit of education whilst eating and reading

with cheese
23-06-2011, 08:43
Trouble with That onetoe, is when you then went to the looe you got grease, salt and vinegar on yer bum.
People moan now about not having an "on suite" if they need the looe at night. We had to put a coat and shoes on and walk to the end of the garden.
Toffee Apples, any old iron, rag bone, strawberries, coal all being shouted by the tough old boys with their barrows.
Health and safety, 112 lb bag of coal, not 15kg is too much to carry.
Used to get a Joey pocket money if Dad wasn't on strike.
Scrag end of Mutton, for Sunday roast. Rabbit stew on the go at Nan's, my cousin lived next door to Nan and they were rich, she had a pet rabbit.
They went camping, we ate her Rabbit, Nan said we needed feeding more than her rabbit did.

williethetim
23-06-2011, 09:28
Mojo's,milko's, toffee fryin pans,luck tatties, jube jubes, sweet cigarettes, sweety rhubarb ,welly ring on your legs, sunny san sandals,commando shoes with the compass in the heal,beta builda ( like lego ), coop dividend numbers, the tickie man,lucky bags,cutting the grass with shears (no lawn mower)ouch..blackcurrant cordial,

Zara
23-06-2011, 09:30
I'm loving this thread, does anyone remember kaylie sold loose in Woolies You would wet your finger and dip it and always end up with a yellow tongue and a yellow stained finger, we would then pretend to be smokers.

13780 was our divvi number some things you just dont forget !

Myra
23-06-2011, 09:34
I'm loving this thread, does anyone remember kaylie sold loose in Woolies You would wet your finger and dip it and always end up with a yellow tongue and a yellow stained finger, we would then pretend to be smokers.

You can still by this, I went in a little shop not so long ago, and a young couple came in, the next thing they were really excited at the jars of sweets, cinder toffee, cop cops, aniseed twists, rhubard and custard, the list was endless, and they were running around, picking up all these jars, I do no know how much they spent, but they went away very happy.

reggie
23-06-2011, 09:34
Wayfinder shoes, animal footprints on the bottom, so if your walking down the high street and came across a small footprint, you took your shoe off to match it up, yeh thats going to happen, Grass ? at your house ?, you were lucky.

with cheese
23-06-2011, 09:37
Remember that.
One roller skate.
Coconut chips, ice lollies with stars on the sticks, if you got them you had a freebie.
Lolly sticks, make boomerangs, play smack sticks.

reggie
23-06-2011, 09:41

Janets first job was at woolie's, they made her supervisor when she was 16, looking back thats because there was only her that could write, Kaylie in pointed paper bags, we used to get some sort of twig that you chewed, then dip that in, I use to charge all her mates to run them home, in my first car, a £30 hillman minx, janet thought i was royalty having a car at 17, easily impressed she is,

tizzywizzy
23-06-2011, 09:44

oh i remember my mum's divi number 333352. Kaylie oh yes i loved it

reggie
23-06-2011, 09:45
You can still by this, I went in a little shop not so long ago, and a young couple came in, the next thing they were really excited at the jars of sweets, cinder toffee, cop cops, aniseed twists, rhubard and custard, the list was endless, and they were running around, picking up all these jars, I do no know how much they spent, but they went away very happy.

Cop Cops, bl--dy hell, i remember those, i use to get 2 ounce when i was flush, tried not to let mates see you chewing or they all wanted 1, think you only got about 8 in 2 ounce,

oh i remember my mum's divi number 333352. Kaylie oh yes i loved it

Tiz. whats a divi number ?

with cheese
23-06-2011, 10:01

ours 106778

Added after 7 minutes:

Cop Cops, bl--dy hell, i remember those, i use to get 2 ounce when i was flush, tried not to let mates see you chewing or they all wanted 1, think you only got about 8 in 2 ounce,

Tiz. whats a divi number ?
Co Op, Reggie, you had a number that gave you divi stamps.
Green shield stamps.
Fag cards, I am still after nobby stiles, if anyone has it, swap for george best.
Action man for the Ritchies, bloody Combat Johnnie for us poor sods.
Junket, milk jelly, yorkie pud with homemade lemon sauce.

williethetim
23-06-2011, 10:10
Funny cant remember our divy number but my dads army no was 22264863, made our first skate board from roller skates and an annual..

Kick-the-Can -
I always thought this was Kitcan because that was how we said it. Now I don't think it was in the rules that you had to play kick-the-can in the evening but I don't remember ever playing it any other time. First of all I remember it going on until dusk and beyond and I also remember getting dragged in to go to bed with it still going on and having to lie on my bed in the front bedroom listening to all my friends still out there having fun. Now the other thing is I never remember having a can to kick, we used a football. Basically it was a form of hide and seek. A ball was placed in the middle of the street and someone was "it". Everyone else had a count to 100 or whatever was decided to go hide usually down the back entries squished in by the backyard gates, in the spaces between the bay windows on New Bank Street, behind cars or lorries, that sort of thing. There was usually an agreement on just how far away you could go to hide. Then the person who was "it" sought out the others. Unlike Tick, you didn't need to touch them just point them out and run back to the ball and touch it with your foot thereby capturing the kid in question. When caught, the kid had to return to the location of the ball while the person who was "it" tracked down the rest. Where this got interesting though was that while the person who was "it" went off down the street towards New Bank Street to find someone else, a kid who was still free could come out of his/her hiding place and run towards the ball. If they got to the ball first they would kick it away as far as they could. The "it" person had to go get the ball and all the prisoners were free again. As you can imagine it was almost impossible to get to the end of this game and often the person who was "it" got fed up and walked off before we got to the end. I remember playing a variation on that theme in which more than one person was "it".

It wasn't as if we could do the old soap-box derby thing, where we raced down hill in these unpowered wooden carts. I suppose the best part was building them from the wheels off abandoned trolleys or prams and scrap timber. I remember my Dad built me one that was the Rolls Royce of bogies with all sorts of refinements like footrests, a comfortable sitting area and brakes. Usually they were stopped by putting your feet on the tires or the Fred Flintstone way with your feet dragging on the ground. We propelled them by having someone push you by hand or with a pushing pole. The were steered with a string attached to the movable front wheels. Bogies became your constant companion and running errands became a pleasure not a chore because you could take your bogie to bring the groceries home on. Having a bogie was a status symbol.

onelegnofeet
23-06-2011, 10:56
Tuff Boots ,winkle pickers ,cuban heels (like the ones Reggie still wears!),beatle boots ,yes those blady Sunny San Sandals from Woolies (who remembers Woolies Cafes )the sandals that you wore till they wore out ,and sod the fit (take a look at me know !!!LOL)
Dust bin men that humped a metal dustbin no matter the weight (now its on wheels and if you cant push it with two fingers its too heavy ....yes i give them two fingers !!)

how about Meccano ,double diamond ,Johnny seven ,Pogs (marble game )whip and tops ???? I WANT A WHIP AND TOP NOW !!! (no Reggie nothing to do with MaxC)|

with cheese
23-06-2011, 11:11
That's not nice "humping a heavy dustbin"
How about delaware tesci bummers.

williethetim
23-06-2011, 12:10
Tuff Boots ,winkle pickers ,cuban heels (like the ones Reggie still wears!),beatle boots ,yes those blady Sunny San Sandals from Woolies (who remembers Woolies Cafes )the sandals that you wore till they wore out ,and sod the fit (take a look at me know !!!LOL)
Dust bin men that humped a metal dustbin no matter the weight (now its on wheels and if you cant push it with two fingers its too heavy ....yes i give them two fingers !!)

how about Meccano ,double diamond ,Johnny seven ,Pogs (marble game )whip and tops ???? I WANT A WHIP AND TOP NOW !!! (no Reggie nothing to do with MaxC)|
tried to google Sunnysan but cant get a picture, they were feckin horribleplastic things

reggie
23-06-2011, 12:29
Desert boots for best, baseball boots during the week, i still have a pair (converse) like new they are, i wear them when i'm feeling trendy, Well i get away with it because i only look 24, well ish, i still have a parka, and a flying jacket, so i'm a slave to fashion, Had a whip and top, remember chalking paterns on the top ?. some tw-t always managed to whip your legs, I used to whip Janets, she dosnt want to join in anymore ?, Nowt like the sound of leather on calf is there, what did they call that spanish with the flat end, and why did it have a flat end ?,

Added after 2 minutes:

ours 106778

Added after 7 minutes:

Co Op, Reggie, you had a number that gave you divi stamps.
Green shield stamps.
Fag cards, I am still after nobby stiles, if anyone has it, swap for george best.
Action man for the Ritchies, bloody Combat Johnnie for us poor sods.
Junket, milk jelly, yorkie pud with homemade lemon sauce.

Who's nobby stile's, and why are you after him ?

with cheese
23-06-2011, 12:41
Nobby Stile's football, Fag card............only fag cards you collected were on cars or from real fags.

williethetim
23-06-2011, 14:30
Found a sunny san sandal....

reggie
23-06-2011, 15:29
Found a sunny san sandal....

I never had to suffer those, i just phoned Janet at work. she said jelly sandals, and have i nothing better to do, :ashamed:

williethetim
23-06-2011, 15:35
I never had to suffer those, i just phoned Janet at work. she said jelly sandals, and have i nothing better to do, :ashamed:

We did with socks and short troosers

reggie
23-06-2011, 15:39
We did with socks and short troosers

I have a photo of me about 7 or 8 in sandals with socks and short trousers, red leather though, just lucky i guess,

onelegnofeet
23-06-2011, 16:37
Metal studs on your rugby /football boots ..................shin guards !!! no a news paper if you was lucky !!!

Added after 13 minutes:

Saturday afternoons .....wrestling ,Billy two rivers ,les kellet ,Mike Marino ,mick Mcmanus ,jackie pallo. comentator Kent Walton .

Two not so famous but Doncaster locals ,Mick Mcmichael and Kitt Laav originally from TONGA

with cheese
23-06-2011, 19:49
I have a photo of me about 7 or 8 in sandals with socks and short trousers, red leather though, just lucky i guess,And you still do

warbey
23-06-2011, 20:36
Am I the only one who spent nights in an airraid Shelter then..?
picking up Shrapnel Daytimes, all twisted and weird colours.
Co-op no 84868
Health no lfzd 181/3
minerslamp no 1184

The Shelter saved our lives one Night. Whole Street flattened when We surfaced.
No Doors locked,(didnt have any...olo)

wild blackberries in Hedges, made lovely pies.
Ration Books
Clothing coupons
Steam Trains

Zara
23-06-2011, 20:47
Co-op no 84868
Health no lfzd 181/3
minerslamp no 1184

Ration Books
Clothing coupons
Steam Trains

Used to play in my gran's air raid shelter but I vaguely remember rationing, it didnt end until 1954 my grandad used to take me to the shop for black bullets (can we call them that these days) but I didnt realise at the time it was his sweet ration I was getting.

Mawkin
23-06-2011, 20:55
Co-op number 20968

I had to wear kitted swimming trunks when we went down to the beach once they become wet hung down around the ankles. The only time we went was on the Sunday school outing which meant attending church more than I wanted but we saw the sea once a year. All the kids today want is a heated pool they should try the North sea to harden them up a little. Never did manage to fill the Sunday school book up with the stamps they dished out though.

Trying to catch rabbits for a meal after the binder was cutting the corn during the harvest time. There was only about one tractor on the farm where Dad worked all the other heavy work was done by the horse at the time.

with cheese
23-06-2011, 21:30
Alright then as no one else will say it.
Gollywogs, Black and White Minstrels and Love thy neighbour.

onelegnofeet
23-06-2011, 21:32
Co-op no 84868
Health no lfzd 181/3
minerslamp no 1184

Ration Books
Clothing coupons
Steam Trains

God Bless all you who served in WW1 (NOT A TYPO !!!)LOL

How about going to the shop for 5 yes 5 Woodbines ,Capstan full strength ,Park drive ,some times in a bag if they had to split a packet ............for my mum not me never smoked !!!

not many buses about when i was a titch in my home town ,it was the Trolly Bus ,Trackless or Trams

with cheese
23-06-2011, 21:32
Used to play in my gran's air raid shelter but I vaguely remember rationing, it didnt end until 1954 my grandad used to take me to the shop for black bullets (can we call them that these days) but I didnt realise at the time it was his sweet ration I was getting.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:What a fib, don't remember rationing, oooooops trouble brewing.

onelegnofeet
23-06-2011, 21:33
Alright then as no one else will say it.
Gollywogs, Black and White Minstrels and Love thy neighbour.

Al Jay .....ooops sorry AL Jolsen

with cheese
23-06-2011, 21:34
[QUOTE=
not many buses about when i was a BITCH in my home town ,it was the Trolly Bus ,Trackless or Trams[/QUOTE]

Typo, I have altered it for you.

onelegnofeet
23-06-2011, 21:37
Typo, I have altered it for you.

Thank you such a helpful youngman........i wish i was a HEADHITTER !!!

with cheese
23-06-2011, 21:41
Thank you such a helpful youngman........i wish i was a HEADHITTER !!!

Think that is Smackhead

Mawkin
23-06-2011, 22:04
God Bless all you who served in WW1 (NOT A TYPO !!!)LOL

How about going to the shop for 5 yes 5 Woodbines ,Capstan full strength ,Park drive ,some times in a bag if they had to split a packet ............for my mum not me never smoked !!!

not many buses about when i was a titch in my home town ,it was the Trolly Bus ,Trackless or Trams

You never smoked Weights???

with cheese
23-06-2011, 22:13
How about going to the shops with a list and it had Dr Whites on it, for all those of you that are not sure, a form of sheep.

reggie
23-06-2011, 22:15
I used to rob ciggie's from parents shop, the whole school gathered round if i had 20 benson and hedges in the gold packet, i think they cost the same as a house, they seemed about 2ft long, and lasted all lunch time, I remember saying "stand back peasants while i spark up" :crylaughing:

Tojack
23-06-2011, 22:25
5 Park drive tipped and a book of matches 6p

with cheese
23-06-2011, 22:27
5 Park drive tipped and a book of matches 6p

Think that was 6d, or a tanner

onelegnofeet
24-06-2011, 07:28
BENGO matches ............different coloured flame when struck !!!

And you never had to be 18 to buy BANGERS ,made banger guns out of a block of wood and old handle bars .
Throwing Arrows ,bow and arrows made from tree branches ............and being allowed to pick Bluebells and snowdrops ,these got me out of some bother with dear old mum !!!

dads favourite drink "A Double Diamond " by Ind.Coup "a double diamond works wonders works wonders ,so drink one to day
Guiness slogan at the time was "you can do what TUCAN do "......lamps with a Tucan over a glass of guiness ,made by Wade
Sisters favourite was "Green Goddess"......seem to recall a bit like pernod .
SHWEPPES then made 4 fruit juices ,Tom ,pineapple,grapefruit,orange ...........but how many of you can remember they also made Carrot juice ??

Zara
24-06-2011, 07:38
Vesta chow mein, cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks (stuck in half a melon so it looked like a hedgehog), Harveys Bristol Cream, Babycham, Cherry B, Snowball.

onelegnofeet
24-06-2011, 07:43
cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks (stuck in half a melon so it looked like a hedgehog),

OI! i still do those :hit:..................and with silver skin onions .
Bread and dripping,Hienz sandwich spread ,

Bet the girls remember Kiss Kats ,Postmans Knock ,:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Zara
24-06-2011, 08:08
OI! i still do those :hit:..................and with silver skin onions .
Bread and dripping,Hienz sandwich spread ,

Bet the girls remember Kiss Kats ,Postmans Knock ,:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Yes and no !!! I remember Postmans Knock but not the other one but then I always was shy :eyebrows:

reggie
24-06-2011, 11:20
Spin the bottle, Janet had a mate with a moustache, and scabby lips, she was only 14, i used to gip if it pointed at her, I'd rather be oiling my chain or something usefull, why didnt they say will you snog me, instead of all that bo--ox

Tojack
24-06-2011, 13:04
Think that was 6d, or a tanner

No it was 6 new pence.Can remember old money.240 pennies to the pound.Then overnight 100 new pence.What a rip off.

onelegnofeet
24-06-2011, 15:35
No it was 6 new pence.Can remember old money.240 pennies to the pound.Then overnight 100 new pence.What a rip off.

£.S.D !!!!.........with cheese remembers GROATS !!!!

Medman
24-06-2011, 16:33
Vesta chow mein, cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks (stuck in half a melon so it looked like a hedgehog), Harveys Bristol Cream, Babycham, Cherry B, Snowball.

Vesta Chow Mein still going strong. (always a box in the cupboard to satisfy late night munchies). We must have been greedy cause we also stuck cheese and pickled onions on the sticks and put them in a "party susan" (very posh) Bristol Cream was for your granny at New Year, Babycham was for your brandy, Cherry B (homemade) was to give you a hangover and Snowball was for me at 10 at my uncle and auntie's silver wedding. Thanks for the memories Zara

Yes and no !!! I remember Postmans Knock but not the other one but then I always was shy :eyebrows:

We played "coalman's knock"- the same as postman's knock only dirtier ! :censored:

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 18:41
Proper money. Do you remember how feckin' big a penny was? Half a crown weighed the same as a mini and if you had a 10/- note, you were the richest man in the world! I've still got a florin in a jar somewhere...

For the youngsters. ( I won't bother with farthings)...

2 halfpennies to a penny
6 pennies to a tanner
24 halfpennies to a shilling
12 pennies in a shilling
244 pennies in a pound
20 shillings to a pound
10 florins to a pound
8 half crowns to a pond
2 ten bob notes to a pound

Proper money...

with cheese
24-06-2011, 19:55
7 groats to a field.

reggie
24-06-2011, 20:06
Proper money. Do you remember how feckin' big a penny was? Half a crown weighed the same as a mini and if you had a 10/- note, you were the richest man in the world! I've still got a florin in a jar somewhere...

2 halfpennies to a penny
6 pennies to a tanner
12 pennies in a shilling
244 pennies in a pound
20 shillings to a pound
10 florins to a pound
8 half crowns to a pond

Proper money...

4 farthings in a penny, if i remember right, there was a picture of a wren, or was it a robin on a farthing, once bought an old cottage, and the house clearance boys had been through it, but janet found a silk bag with 27 near new 10 shilling notes in it, she still has them in her knicker drawer, i found a bag of silver spoons under the floorboards, still have them somewhere, but not in my knicker drawer, mmm

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 20:09
4 farthings in a penny, if i remember right, there was a picture of a wren, or was it a robin on a farthing, once bought an old cottage, and the house clearance boys had been through it, but janet found a silk bag with 27 near new 10 shilling notes in it, she still has them in her knicker drawer, i found a bag of silver spoons under the floorboards, still have them somewhere, but not in my knicker drawer, mmm

Yeah, it was a wren reg.

with cheese
24-06-2011, 20:11

Howard just emailed me to say he seen the 10 bob notes loads of times.

howard thornton
24-06-2011, 20:14
Howard just emailed me to say he seen the 10 bob notes loads of times.

be quiet man.

Tojack
24-06-2011, 20:16
You missed one 1 pound 1 shilling.....1 ginie not sure of spelling.

White fiver .A flag

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 20:19
You missed one 1 pound 1 shilling.....1 ginie not sure of spelling.

White fiver .A flag

Haha! A guinea!

They still buy horses in guineas.

reggie
24-06-2011, 20:29
be quiet man.

I know a decorator that gets great pleasure from rooting in womens underwear drawers, story's he tells ha ha, some strange fu--ers out there, Ok i'l tel you one, he strips off and gets a pair on. then stands in front of the mirror and takes a photo to send his mates, can you imagine housewife coming home and catching him, oh and he puts a pair on his head :crylaughing:

with cheese
24-06-2011, 20:48
be quiet man

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 21:27
No computers, no fax machines, no mobile 'phones, (The only people who had 'phones were the doctor and the minister. A & B buttons in the Telephone box. (Operator: "Is there money in the box?". Me: " Naw, ah'm in here masel'") No calculators, (remember slide rules?). No freezers. No colour TV, no central heating,. NHS specs with the bit sticking plaster keeping the leg on.
I seem to remember a few people with polio and leg braces on, glad that's gone now!. A lot of one-armed or one-legged men due to the war. (Poor sods have all but died out now).
The doctor came to your house when you were sick. ( I was playing with a gird and cleek and got run over by a girl on a push bike and the doc came to our house and put stitches in my head.)
Using a knitting needle to get to the itchy bit when you had a "stookie" (pot) on your leg. Fair Isle short-sleeved V-neck jumpers. Leather sandals with the strap and buckle. The only trainers were black "gym-shoes" until Dunlop "green-flash" came along.
Playing football with a leather T-ball which nearly knocked you out when it was wet and cut your head if you hit the lace. Having to keep quiet as dad listened to the "pools" results. (Never won a sausage yet!). Sunday night at The London Palladium. Clootie dumpling with a few 6d pieces in at birthday time. (You knew you'd got one when your tooth broke!).
First time you managed to keep upright on a bike, it was always too big for you. Goosegogs!(gooseberries to you sassenachs). Playing football with about 20 a side. Half-time was first to 15 goals, then you finished when players got called for their tea!
Falling off the farmers horses after trying to ride bare-back with your mates. Stealing a drink of milk from the cows. Co-op vans delivering bread, butchery, milk etc. (Divi no. 1908)
No supermarkets, going to the grocers and picking the still muddy potatoes out of a big brown bag and putting them on the scales. (Half a stone of potatoes please!) Cinnamon sticks! We used to light them and smoke them; nearly burnt the throat off you. Listening to some well-off kid's transistor radio.
Bush or Dansette record player with the arm and you could put about 6 records on at one time.
Trying to make a kite...never got one of the feckin' things off the ground yet! Which of you was the coolest and could skip off the back off the bus while it was going fast. Picking up the coal from the pit lorries that was spilt as they went round a bend. Buying wooden clothes pegs from the "gypsies". I'll stop for a breather now...

reggie
24-06-2011, 21:39
Dansette party time record player, we had one, if the record was scratched we use to chewing gum a pebble or small stone on the arm, it still jumped but not as much, you never can tell by chuck berry, got some stick, it was on here a while ago, i shouted to janet, and we sang it start to finish, were is that stored in your head, ?, Great thread Cam,

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 21:45
Dansette party time record player, we had one, if the record was scratched we use to chewing gum a pebble or small stone on the arm, it still jumped but not as much, you never can tell by chuck berry, got some stick, it was on here a while ago, i shouted to janet, and we sang it start to finish, were is that stored in your head, ?, Great thread Cam,

Brilliant record reg! Can you and Janet jive? I never had that skill. Wish I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFgsH8LJObI

Mawkin
24-06-2011, 22:03
Remember jiving in the aisles in local flea pit when Bill Harley and the Comets, Little Richard etc where on the flicks. All the lights use to be put on to try and keep us quite. Every so often the film reel would break and it had to be re threaded to a howl of cat calls.

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 22:07
Remember jiving in the aisles in local flea pit when Bill Harley and the Comets, Little Richard etc where on the flicks. All the lights use to be put on to try and keep us quite. Every so often the film reel would break and it had to be re threaded to a howl of cat calls.

The older boys used to tell us young 'uns that if you threw paper up into the projector beam it would catch fire! Ashtrays on the back of every seat!

onelegnofeet
24-06-2011, 22:11
Holiday saving stamps from the post office 6d or halfcrown ones stuck them in a little book ....................

ounces ,pounds and stones ..........non of this kilo stuff
feet and inches ,yards and chains ,..........non of this metric cr@p

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 22:16
Holiday saving stamps from the post office 6d or halfcrown ones stuck them in a little book ....................

ounces ,pounds and stones ..........non of this kilo stuff
feet and inches ,yards and chains ,..........non of this metric cr@p

There was a TV program on tonight Oleg about the Royal Highland Show and the commentator said it covered 40 hectares.??? I have absolutely no idea what size that is. Now if he'd said 40 acres I'd have a good idea of the area.:hello:

onelegnofeet
24-06-2011, 22:21
There was a TV program on tonight Oleg about the Royal Highland Show and the commentator said it covered 40 hectares.??? I have absolutely no idea what size that is. Now if he'd said 40 acres I'd have a good idea of the area.:hello:

Think its 100 x 100 metres .................again bloody metric !!!

At the moment i have 2 achers !!! which is enough ............

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 22:32

Looked it up Oleg. You're spot on. One hectare = 100m x 100m or 10,000m². So 40 hectares would be 400,000m². Quite a size then.

Mawkin
24-06-2011, 22:33
One of the Posh kids had a black and white TV must have been about a 12inch screen, there use to be about 10 of us hanger-ons went round ever night to see such things as Muffin The Mule. No 7/24 television then spent hours looking at the blo**dy potters wheel on a Sunday night which must hold the record time ever to throw a vase.

Tojack
24-06-2011, 22:35
Snake belt's spud bashing pea picking bare b.....d in river don.Them were the day's

Mawkin
24-06-2011, 22:43
Snake belt's spud bashing pea picking bare b.....d in river don.Them were the day's

We use to pick Blackcurrants for Ribena putting stones in the bottom of the wooden punnets which we had to pick them into as payment was by weight.

onelegnofeet
24-06-2011, 22:43
Spud guns ,pea shooters ,cattys (catapults ) .............such joy

Plastic rockets that you put caps in ,plastic divers and submarines you put baking powder in so they sank and rose ................

Harmonicaman
24-06-2011, 22:49
Brooke Bond tea with the little stamps on the side. What were they for? Robinson's jam and you collected the little sticky gollywogs to get a real metal badge!
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/imagesqtbnANd9GcTjDTf9aCiamA-fH8oy0.jpg

reggie
24-06-2011, 22:53
Brilliant record reg! Can you and Janet jive? I never had that skill. Wish I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFgsH8LJObI

We use to call it bopping, lasses were always at it, but us lads was fannying with old BSA's or triumph's, or plotting a trip, we sometimes got involved if somebody bought a bottle of cider, but it seemed a bit nancy pants, dancing, scabby lips always made a bee line for me too, Nah, no thanks, i got a car soon after with a bench seat, janet up front in the middle and 4 others, yeh 6 in a banger, wonder we wasnt all killed, we lived in that car, petrol or no petrol, happy days,

Tojack
24-06-2011, 22:57
We use to pick Blackcurrants for Ribena putting stones in the bottom of the wooden punnets which we had to pick them into as payment was by weight.

Yer we used to put stones in bottom of 20lbs bags,If you got caught it was a long walk home.

Added after 9 minutes:

Brooke bond stamps were 1n6d for a full card.Orange stamps if i remember right.And on the subject dont forget the tea strainer.

reggie
24-06-2011, 23:17
Chatting with janet about her mate from that period, they came to tenerife about 10 years ago, she had just lost her job, janet said i'l try get you in my place, not easy because it a place were people would work for nothing, it a PR and advertising firm, anyway a poxy job cutting clips out of papers came up, janet got her best mate in the door, sure enough she moved up until she got in with janet, anyway her hubby my mate from 4 years old rings me one morning asking were i was, MOT station i said, il wait, i said ive got no money, he go's all serious, gets back he's sat there face like death' i thought bet his dads croaked, no, sit he says, ime getting worried now, He say's our lass, janets best mate has been arrested, why i said, she's only helped herself to about £300k of the firms money, I had to ring janet at work to tell her, first time she couldt speak on the phone, it just went dead, her boss gathered why i'd phoned her, and carried her outside, somebody rang me to say its alright, What a bomb shell, you think you know somebody, ?, We was just talking about it again, when that record popped up, What a thing to happen, a life changing moment for everybody, her mate is awaiting trial, and has been told prison for at least 4 years, mad or what, she put her hands up straight away, Janet can not get her head round it, she says i would have trusted my life with her, mental,

Mawkin
24-06-2011, 23:31
We use to call it bopping, lasses were always at it, but us lads was fannying with old BSA's or triumph's, or plotting a trip, we sometimes got involved if somebody bought a bottle of cider, but it seemed a bit nancy pants, dancing, scabby lips always made a bee line for me too, Nah, no thanks, i got a car soon after with a bench seat, janet up front in the middle and 4 others, yeh 6 in a banger, wonder we wasnt all killed, we lived in that car, petrol or no petrol, happy days,

The first car I had all the tyres had been re-cut down to the canvas. I think the MOT was if the vehicle managed to start then it had passed. Always had to swing the handle or run it down a hill to get it to go still I manged to fill it on a £1..

reggie
24-06-2011, 23:41
If i remember petrol was 34p a gallon in 1972, we used to club together to raise 50p to ride around then park at the end of our street, dad said put it near the bins, bl--dy cheek, we tried to paint it like john lennons Rolls Royce, didnt quite turn out right, but it was differant, well it was a piece of sh-t really when i look back, through rose tinted welding goggles, I have a great photo of Janet at the side of lennons car at goodwood a few years ago, Not as good as my hillman minx though,

with cheese
25-06-2011, 11:59

Who Kicked you in the gonads

onelegnofeet
25-06-2011, 13:09
Who Kicked you in the gonads

No one ............its the drag factor of no legs and wooden floors !!!

GREEN SHIELD STAMPS

with cheese
25-06-2011, 13:37
Done that one cocker, how about apple bungers, anyone get cab apples on a stick and lob.

reggie
25-06-2011, 19:18
We had a range in the kitchen, we use to put our jim jams in the oven, then leg it to bed real quick before they went cold, I was lucky i had a piece of lino at the side of my ex army bed, so no splinters for me,

with cheese
25-06-2011, 19:34
We put our Lino on the fire to keep warm, we also took all the internal doors off to keep the fire going, Mum stopped Dad taking the front door off, saying it would cause a breeze, so he took the back door off as wind not blowing in that way.

onelegnofeet
25-06-2011, 19:35
Coconut Matting ................
Going to the icecream man with a bowel ,asking for some Hot Ice to keep the icecream from melting "no freezers then" ..........then putting the hot ice into a bowl of water and putting a fork on it to make it sing
Cow Heel,Tripe ,Bag ,beast heart ,pigs trotters ..............offal that made OFFALLY great food !!!

with cheese
25-06-2011, 19:41
Oneleg, don't take your bowels to the ice cream man. Sorry this is not bullying in or having a go at a person who can't spell so please don't press any buttons on me.

Sundowner
25-06-2011, 22:18

2 halfpennies to a penny
6 pennies to a tanner
12 pennies in a shilling
244 pennies in a pound
20 shillings to a pound
10 florins to a pound
8 half crowns to a pond

Proper money...

You forgot the three penny bit :)

Harmonicaman
25-06-2011, 23:14
So I did! It was that shape 'cos you needed a spanner to get one out of a Scotsman's hand!:eyebrows:

onelegnofeet
26-06-2011, 07:09

Isnt that rhyming slang for ......................oops family forum !!!

GOB STOPPERS ...........are they cheaper or more expensive in Tenerife?
Half pennies where bigger than a 10p coin ...................that was 10 blackjacks !!! School dinners if you didnt have white dinner tickets and sit on a special table denoting you were poor were 5d......if you did this now it would be shot down from the PC/Rasist brigade

Mobile grocery shops .............that said went out the other week into the countryside near Boston and saw one of these in a village ....brought back memories ,especially how big Wagon Wheels (choc Buscuits) once where

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 09:57
Isnt that rhyming slang for ......................oops family forum !!!

GOB STOPPERS ...........are they cheaper or more expensive in Tenerife?
Half pennies where bigger than a 10p coin ...................that was 10 blackjacks !!! School dinners if you didnt have white dinner tickets and sit on a special table denoting you were poor were 5d......if you did this now it would be shot down from the PC/Rasist brigade

Mobile grocery shops .............that said went out the other week into the countryside near Boston and saw one of these in a village ....brought back memories ,especially how big Wagon Wheels (choc Buscuits) once where
I used to be the dinner monitor in 3rd year Oleg. We had a different colour ticket for each day and I had to collect the rolls of tickets for the teacher to issue and I had a wallet full of them. Hardly ever paid for lunch!:hungry:

onelegnofeet
26-06-2011, 10:02
I was only a milk monitor in the juniors ..................that bloody cow would never stand still !!!

with cheese
26-06-2011, 10:04
Prefect, annagram of perfect, I was neither

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 10:05
I was only a milk monitor in the juniors ..................that bloody cow would never stand still !!!
Man, remember those metal crates with the little ⅓ pint bottles. In summer the sodding things had just about curdled in the heat! Nearly gagged trying to drink the stuff!

onelegnofeet
26-06-2011, 10:41
Man, remember those metal crates with the little ⅓ pint bottles. In summer the sodding things had just about curdled in the heat! Nearly gagged trying to drink the stuff!

Yes and winter popped by the birds and more like a lolly ......................and everyone walking round with white circles around their mouths ,except me i always had a big gob !!!
How about the elastic put under the fold down of your under knee school socks ...ooo OOO and the girls doing handstands with their skirts tucked into them ,Navy blue or Bottle Green .......................scarred me for life:crazy::crazy::surrender:

reggie
26-06-2011, 10:42
So I did! It was that shape 'cos you needed a spanner to get one out of a Scotsman's hand!:eyebrows:

I cut a sixpence in half, half to janet half to me, every now and then janet says show me your half, while she gets her purse out, panic sets in, until i produce it, I'm on my 5 or 6 bit, i dont tell her that, i keep spares in my tool box, god help me if ever she pieces them together, about 42 years now, got me a shag tho,

Added after 3 minutes:

Yes and winter popped by the birds and more like a lolly ......................and everyone walking round with white circles around their mouths ,except me i always had a big gob !!!
How about the elastic put under the fold down of your under knee school socks ...ooo OOO and the girls doing handstands with their skirts tucked into them ,Navy blue or Bottle Green .......................scarred me for life:crazy::crazy::surrender:

Ah, I can remember janet doing handstands, navy blue they were, hussy she was, waited until i were riding past on my bike, she thought i was looking, but i was looking for lolly sticks to put in mi spokes,

onelegnofeet
26-06-2011, 10:47
Someone mentioned TAPATALK ........................remember the 2 tins and a length of string better reception on those than most mobiles !!
How about the tanks (well we called them that ) that you made out of wooden cotton bobbins a lolly stick and Laggy band (elastic band) and a nail .
BANG GUNS ..............a square of cardboard folded into a triangle with a triangle of brown paper that when folded in aad walloped it went with a loud crack !!often free in the comics but us poor kids made our own .
SNOBS or JACKS as it was known ,god we played that for hours

reggie
26-06-2011, 11:00
Someone mentioned TAPATALK ........................remember the 2 tins and a length of string better reception on those than most mobiles !!
How about the tanks (well we called them that ) that you made out of wooden cotton bobbins a lolly stick and Laggy band (elastic band) and a nail .
BANG GUNS ..............a square of cardboard folded into a triangle with a triangle of brown paper that when folded in aad walloped it went with a loud crack !!often free in the comics but us poor kids made our own .
SNOBS or JACKS as it was known ,god we played that for hours

2 Tins, christ yes forgot about those, wondered why they didnt work round corners, :crylaughing:

Tojack
26-06-2011, 19:28
2 tins with 2 pieces of string made stilts for your sister

Harmonicaman
14-07-2011, 22:19
Bring back any memories?

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained.
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school.. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home.... but milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers--My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels[if you were fortunate])
7. Peashooters
8.. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10.78 RPM records
11. Hi-fi's
12. Metal ice trays with levers
13. Blue flashbulb
14. Cork popguns
15. Wash tub wringers
16. Spud guns
17. Making your own bow and arrows
18. Going out to play and going home at 'meal time'

If you remembered 0-3 = you're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-11 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 12-15 = You're positively ancient!
I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your reallyOLDfriends.... I just did!!!!!!!!!
(PS. I used a large type face so you could read it easily)

AL JAY
14-07-2011, 22:32
We used to make steering carts from planks,pram wheels, nut/bolt/washers and also use lolly sticks to touch the spokes to sound like an engine!!!

Zara
15-07-2011, 10:18
What comes after positively ancient - One foot in the grave - that's me as I remember all 18 :raspberry2:

imablue
15-07-2011, 10:33
the original skateboard....
one skate (preferably right footed:eyebrows:) and any hardbacked comic album..i used my brothers Annual Lion Album...
annual on the skate, sit on album, find a hill and off ya went .....
:)

Leam_Lin
15-07-2011, 10:54
Scrumping....... no apple trees in our area.

Pea picking near Stratford on avon.