PDA

View Full Version : What do you think you should take to a BBQ ????

dede
21-06-2011, 20:17
If someone invites you to a BBQ do you think that you should take your own meat and booze or just booze or neither, now ive had loads of BBQ's and would never expect anyone to bring their own food or drink but some have brought booze but ive never asked them to, but it amazes me latley how many people are having BBQ's and asking people to bring their own meat !!!! whats all that about? is this the latest thing that people are doing ?? has anyone else come across this?? or does anyone ask people to bring their own food??

9PLUS
21-06-2011, 20:18
Cheers

x

Harmonicaman
21-06-2011, 20:21
Cheers

x
Got your bottle opener Mark?:D

atlantico
21-06-2011, 20:23
I do that too ! . . . . . . . . . . . and then ask them to cook it !!

slodgedad
21-06-2011, 20:24
I usually just take myself. I'm a tight git.

9PLUS
21-06-2011, 20:29
I usually just take myself. I'm a tight git.

and a few other things

x

chifleta
21-06-2011, 20:30
I don't think it's a new idea Dede, I remember my parents having BBQ's in the 80's and it was usually "bring a drink and a piece of meat" :D ... i've been to BBQ's here over the years and I usually take a big bowl of homemade colslaw which goes down well.

marbro8
maybe i am old fasioned but if you invite someone to your house for anything then you do not expect them to bring anything!!! just come and have a good time, i mean!! come on it is just a time to show off your hosting skills and pretend how well off you are surely:D

henry
when i go to a bbq i bring some pepsi and some meat. like my spicy baby back ribs. and the hottest (spicy)hamburgers you have ever eaten

AL JAY
21-06-2011, 20:31
What time shall we be there dede, i'll bring a bottle!!! :whistle:

* of ketchup*

slodgedad
21-06-2011, 20:33

* of ketchup*

And I'll be right behind with the mustard

dede
21-06-2011, 20:35

* of ketchup*

Its ok Al Jay ive got a load of sachets saved up from maccies:raspberry2::raspberry2::raspberry2::lol::l ol:

9PLUS
21-06-2011, 20:41
I remember my parents having BBQ's in the 80's and it was usually "bring a drink and a piece of meat"

Warrisit with these Swingers........................?

x

tracey
21-06-2011, 20:46
I never expect anyone to bring anything but themselves. Its my treat surely?!?
BUT I have a German friend who insists on bringing everything. I mean everything!!! All thats left for us to do is host. bless him xx

chifleta
21-06-2011, 20:50
Warrisit with these Swingers........................?

x

nothing would surprise me nowadays :whip:

Jackie
21-06-2011, 21:18
There was a discussion about something similar on TV today. The Blairs are hosting a Birthday Party for their son Leo but have asked all the parents of the children they have invited for 10 pounds each and are saying it is towards the hire of transport for those children that are unable to get there and home again. The question being asked was pretty much what Dede has put in her OP. if you was having a party would you pay the entire bill or ask people to chip in.

If I have a party/bbq then I pay for it. I haven't got a problem if someone asked me to take something along to their bbq as in drink/food but for me personally it is not something I would ask people to do. The thing is even if I wasn't asked to take anything I would probably still take booze and a bowl/plate of something anyway. Many times in the UK when we had parties and people would say 'what can I bring' I just used to say yourselves, but more often than not people will bring something with them regardless. One time we had three parties within a couple of months because we bought everything for the first party but people brought so much stuff with them that we actually had another 2 parties where no drink at all needed to be bought

onelegnofeet
21-06-2011, 21:26
I always take a little something just in case .......................MATCHES !!!

with cheese
21-06-2011, 21:31
Went to brothers one recently and took a barrel of real ale, well got to make sure one doesn't go thirsty.

dokgolf
21-06-2011, 22:18
I have never asked anyone to bring anything but most generally bring a bottle of wine or a 6 pack. If I'm going to someone's bbq, I'll bring booze only. I've always assumed its up to the host to provide food

She Sells Seashells
21-06-2011, 22:19
We expect to host everything if we extend the invitation.

However, there is a tradition in southern Africa called a 'bring and braai', or 'bring and barbeque', such that you bring meat and possibly more (back me up Chris P.). But if you just extend the invite for a braai, they are not expected to bring anything but themselves.

Different places and different times certainly lead to different practices.

Jelly Baby
21-06-2011, 22:21
I wouldn´t expect anyone to bring anything but I know I am guilty of not wanting to turn up somewhere empty-handed. Therefore if someone wants to bring a salad or side dish, dessert or drink, it is appreciated.

Tenerife Property
21-06-2011, 22:39
In some countries it is normal for friends to bring food and drink for a barbecue. For example in Australia they say "bring a plate", which does not necessarily mean bring your own meat but maybe a salad or something. If you do this regularly people get to know what to bring to harmonise with what others bring. The beauty of it is you don't mind hosting because there is a lot less work involved.

I think it is a brilliant idea, I've been to BBQ's on the beach here where friends bring their own food. Easy to put some stones around, charcoal in the middle with an old fridge shelf resting on the top. (Wait for the plastic to burn off before you cook though) Afterwards just put everythind back the way it was. Just put the word around and see just see how many turn up, you will be surprised, very little effort involved. The beach to the side of Costamar in Los Cristianos is an ideal venue.

She Sells Seashells
21-06-2011, 22:39
I wouldn´t expect anyone to bring anything but I know I am guilty of not wanting to turn up somewhere empty-handed. Therefore if someone wants to bring a salad or side dish, dessert or drink, it is appreciated.

Agreed. Just not planned on.

reggie
21-06-2011, 22:43
Charcole - -

with cheese
21-06-2011, 22:45
Jokes.....................Imodium too

atlantico
22-06-2011, 02:52
i only get invited to one pals BBQ . . . . . . . . . he says no need to bring anything, but for the last 12 years I've taken a bottle of Courvoisier VSOP, I smuggle it in, and later on we 'escape' to his garden shed to drink it alone . . . . . in silence.

sometimes, he only invites ME !