PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with Spanish nautical terms?

nigelmercier
06-12-2012, 12:44
I need to communicate with the manager of my marina, and his English is not good. Can anyone help with Spanish for:

"We need to put the boat on land in January for about a week. How much will it cost for lift out, pressure wash, store on the land for a week, and put back in the water?"

karinagal
06-12-2012, 13:17
Have you tried Google translate?

Javi
06-12-2012, 14:54
"We need to put the boat on land in January for about a week. How much will it cost for lift out, pressure wash, store on the land for a week, and put back in the water?"[/QUOTE]

Necesitamos sacar el barco a tierra en Enero durante una semana. ¿Cuánto nos costará sacarlo del agua, el agua a presión, dejarlo en tierra por una semana y volverlo a poner en el agua?

I can use a more technical jargon, but he/she could understand the above sentences.

Good luck...if you need further help, just let me know.

nigelmercier
06-12-2012, 17:45
Thank you Javi,

To karinagal, the reason I didn't use Google is demonstrated by the translation to English of the Spanish above:

We need to get the ship to land in January for a week. How much cost us out of the water, the water pressure, leave earth for a week and put it back in the water?

I'd quite like to leave Earth for a week :)

karinagal
07-12-2012, 01:39
:D :D :D Yup, I can see a lot has been lost in the translation there!!!

timmylish
07-12-2012, 02:59
Tbh. for a machine translation I don,t think its too bad. Certainly, applying some thought most people would follow the enquiry.

bonitatime
07-12-2012, 09:41
"We need to put the boat on land in January for about a week. How much will it cost for lift out, pressure wash, store on the land for a week, and put back in the water?"

Necesitamos sacar el barco a tierra en Enero durante una semana. ¿Cuánto nos costará sacarlo del agua, el agua a presión, dejarlo en tierra por una semana y volverlo a poner en el agua?

.[/QUOTE]
Necesitamos sacar el barco del mar en Enero para una semana. ¿Cuánto nos costará sacarlo del agua, lavarlo a presión, mantenerlo en el muelle una semana y volverlo a poner en el agua

It is not as technical as you asked but should get you the quote you need.

Javi
07-12-2012, 21:58
"Sacar el barco a tierra" and "sacar el barco del agua" are the same thing. In fact, "a tierra" is probably more common. Surely, the person in charge will undertand both expressions.