PDA

View Full Version : Other How do you get a Spanish driving licence in Tenerife?

Tenerifelass
06-12-2012, 12:59
Hello
My son wants to get a Spanish driving licence, and we are getting conflicting information from friends.
One friend said that he needs to register with an autoescuela and pay for lots for training to pass the test. another friend says that he can directly apply for theory and practical tests without registering with an autoescuela.
He knows how to drive very well.
Any advice appreciated.

bonitatime
06-12-2012, 13:51
As far as I know the tests have to be done through a Driving school

malvasia
06-12-2012, 16:27
If you look at the standard of driving here, driving licences must be given as raffle prizes. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!

cinnamon
06-12-2012, 16:44
He knows how to drive very well.

does he have a UK licence?

Tenerifelass
09-12-2012, 14:11
no he doesnt have a UK licence. any advice?

does he have a UK licence?

casabonny
09-12-2012, 15:49
I beleive that he has to go through a registered driving school, as thats what my daughter did , unless of course the laws have changed which is entirely possible here .

slodgedad
09-12-2012, 16:09
My daighter is doing hers here.

She registered with guagua Driving school on the Chafiras roundabout.

Firstly you have to pass the theory before taking lessons.

The theory practice is free, (use of computers for practice tests) and you only pay when you actually take the test. You can go as many or as few times as you like and then when you feel you are ready you have 2 attempts.

That's as much as I know right now as my daughter hasn't taken the test yet. Hope this helps.

cressrt
09-12-2012, 18:04
You can only learn through a recognised driving school, most will offer a set fee package for the lot. This usually allows up to 3 attempts at the theory and practical; this can be a combination of 2 theory and 1 practical or 1 theory and two practical. The theory can be taken on English and unless anything has changed the practical is only in Spanish taken in Santa Cruz. The early driving is done local to you / the school and when you are competent in Santa Cruz to learn the test routes.
Like I say this was correct when our son took his a few years ago, but there may have been changes.

Tenerifelass
13-12-2012, 17:55
Thanks very much. So to start with the theory test he needs to register with a driving school. right?
My daighter is doing hers here.

She registered with guagua Driving school on the Chafiras roundabout.

Firstly you have to pass the theory before taking lessons.

The theory practice is free, (use of computers for practice tests) and you only pay when you actually take the test. You can go as many or as few times as you like and then when you feel you are ready you have 2 attempts.

That's as much as I know right now as my daughter hasn't taken the test yet. Hope this helps.

slodgedad
13-12-2012, 19:18
Thanks very much. So to start with the theory test he needs to register with a driving school. right?

Yep. Simple to do. All you need is a passport and empadrimiento.

golf birdie
13-12-2012, 19:41

yes, and before the test he will need to take a medical. He must also pay to matriculate for the test. If he fails 2 times he must pay to matriculate again. It can end up being quite expensive if they fail a few times. It can work out less to go on a crash course in the uk.

vickyw28
21-02-2013, 15:56
Me and my partner both have english driving licences. However we dont want to surrender these as we need them for when we drive in the uk. Please can sumbody tell me how we obtain a spanish licence?

junglejim
21-02-2013, 16:14
Me and my partner both have english driving licences. However we dont want to surrender these as we need them for when we drive in the uk. Please can sumbody tell me how we obtain a spanish licence?
All your queries will be answered here
http://diana-mcglone.com/
Contact her by PM as Goldemaniac on here.

casabonny
21-02-2013, 18:42
A Spanish licence is valid to drive in the UK.If you want a Spanish one then you have to have been resident here for 6 months first( with a residencia ) and then you HAVE to surrender your British one in order to get a Spanish one.You cant have your cake and eat it sorry !

russell
21-02-2013, 22:10
que es empadrimiento senore slodgedad por favor (en ingles por favor) yo hablo un poco de espanol lo siento gracias.

bonitatime
22-02-2013, 09:32
The Padrón is actually a census. The list of people registered as living in each locality.

doingok
22-02-2013, 09:53
If you want to keep your English licence report it lost to the uk pay the £25 to get another one then hand over the old one.one Spanish one English, when you go to hire a car in the uk it can be a pain with a Spanish driving licence plus you get some funny look's. yes i know is not totally right but who will be the first to admit they have do this.

I have still got my English one.

golf birdie
22-02-2013, 10:15
If you want to keep your English licence report it lost to the uk pay the £25 to get another one then hand over the old one.one Spanish one English, when you go to hire a car in the uk it can be a pain with a Spanish driving licence plus you get some funny look's. yes i know is not totally right but who will be the first to admit they have do this.

to be honest it's better to use your Spanish one in the UK as if you get done by speed cameras the fines don't come back (well they never have for me:cheeky:). Only problem is if you are stopped by the police for speeding or anything else you will need to pay any fines on the spot. Never had any problems or funny looks when hiring cars there with my Spanish licence and I have hired plenty over the years.

casabonny
22-02-2013, 11:08

This used to work but nowadays as licenses are returned to DVLA you will have problems plus of course it's not legal to apply for a duplicate British licence if you live abroad.
As far as hiring in UK , there is Absolutly no problem with a Spanish licence and I too have never had funny looks, quite the contrary really as generally they are intrigued to know where you live and why.

doingok
22-02-2013, 11:53
well i was stopped back in the uk and i handed my Spanish licence over the look i got off the police man and then put in the back of their car then asks how and why i had a Spanish licence then they did the check's over 45 mins later i was let to go on my way and all because of my Spanish licence in the uk,maybe if i was Spanish then it would of been easier.so as far as i am concerned its a pain.

golf birdie
22-02-2013, 12:07
well i was stopped back in the uk and i handed my Spanish licence over the look i got off the police man and then put in the back of their car then asks how and why i had a Spanish licence then they did the check's over 45 mins later i was let to go on my way and all because of my Spanish licence in the uk,maybe if i was Spanish then it would of been easier.so as far as i am concerned its a pain.

how long do you think they would of held you if they found out your British licence had been cancelled by DVLA due to you having a Spanish licence?

doingok
22-02-2013, 12:18
well i will not find that out and as i hope never to put a foot in the uk again fingers crossed.

russell
22-02-2013, 22:36
The Padrón is actually a census. The list of people registered as living in each locality.

thank you very much bonitatime for your reply.

dani_c_tnf
22-03-2013, 15:37
How long does it take to change a uk driving over to a Spanish equivalent? And how long does it take to do?

Goldenmaniac
22-03-2013, 17:01
How long does it take to change a uk driving over to a Spanish equivalent? And how long does it take to do?
This is covered in this thread http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?1651-Exchanging-a-UK-driving-licence-for-a-Spanish-one&p=258035&viewfull=1#post258035