PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Which places or routes should I avoid in Tenerife if I'm afraid of heights?

petals
08-12-2012, 21:19
Hi Everybody,This is my first post,we arrived a week ago and will be here for 3 months in this lovely sunshine avoiding the cold in the uk. Would like to use the public transport to see more of the island but have a fear of heights and even though it might sound silly to some I would love to know what routes to avoid so as not spoil my journey.

marbro8
08-12-2012, 23:02
Hi Everybody,This is my first post,we arrived a week ago and will be here for 3 months in this lovely sunshine avoiding the cold in the uk. Would like to use the public transport to see more of the island but have a fear of heights and even though it might sound silly to some I would love to know what routes to avoid so as not spoil my journey.i would definately avoid the mount teide trip petals:wow::eyebrows: having said that as far as i can remember the bus route from los cris to la caletta is quite flat, no looking over revine's and such like lol and only takes about half hour and they have some lovely fish restaurants, and the walk back to los cris takes about 2 hours:wink:

primrose
08-12-2012, 23:05
i would definately avoid the mount teide trip petals:wow::eyebrows:

I also have a fear of heights and agree about Teide trip, I have been once and that was enough never again.

petals
08-12-2012, 23:06
i would definately avoid the mount teide trip petals:wow::eyebrows:

thanks for that,other routes ok ?

marbro8
08-12-2012, 23:09
thanks for that,other routes ok ?just edited my post above petals

primrose
08-12-2012, 23:10
thanks for that,other routes ok ?

Don't go to Masca.

marbro8
08-12-2012, 23:12
I also have a fear of heights and agree about Teide trip, I have been once and that was enough never again.i also have a fear of heights but i didn't find it that bad (unless i am not as fearful as i thought?) but it freaked me out when the cable car stopped in mid air because of the wind:redcard:

primrose
08-12-2012, 23:15
i also have a fear of heights but i didn't find it that bad (unless i am not as fearful as i thought?) but it freaked me out when the cable car stopped in mid air because of the wind:redcard:

I feel ill when somebody else is on a ladder so you probably aren't as bad as me.

petals
08-12-2012, 23:44
Don't go to Masca.thanks for the warning lol

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

[QUOTE=marbro8;244323]i also have a fear of heights but i didn't find it that bad (unless i am not as fearful as i thought?) but it freaked me out when the cable car stopped in mid air because of the wind:redcard:

your certainly braver than me,cable car no way lol.

LUCKY
09-12-2012, 12:01
:feret:
Don't go to Masca.

:feret:The TITSA bus i went on had curtains , so if you wished not look out you could draw the curtains maybe that will help:flatcap::feret:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

:feret::feret:
Hi Everybody,This is my first post,we arrived a week ago and will be here for 3 months in this lovely sunshine avoiding the cold in the uk. Would like to use the public transport to see more of the island but have a fear of heights and even though it might sound silly to some I would love to know what routes to avoid so as not spoil my journey.:feret::feret:

SVFUN
09-12-2012, 12:11
We went on a blanket trip once [ yes i know we was bored plus we got free tickets for waterpark after :)] .and they also took us to a village to look at more blankets ...Cant remember name but the trip back down was unreal ..Bus was only as wide as the road dropping to a massive ravine .what a veiw though .So dont go on that if you dont like heights

kjherbs
09-12-2012, 16:16
Thanks for asking this question. I was a little embarrassed to ask it myself.

ribuck
09-12-2012, 16:59
If you don't like heights, don't go anywhere that is serviced by the small 24-seater buses. That rules out Masca and anywhere on the Anaga Peninsular except Playa de las Teresitas (which is well worth a visit, and the bus runs every 20 minutes from Santa Cruz).

Personally I think these places are great, and on the 24-seater buses you can sit up front next to the driver for an extra-exciting view!

What I don't like are the bus drivers that go too fast on the motorway between Santa Cruz and Puerto de la Cruz, and do lane changes at 120km/hr with only inches to spare. Usually with a few pictures of some saints or the Virgin Mary tucked under the sun visor to "protect" them.

pbasonuk
10-12-2012, 15:37
I drove up to Tiede for the first time.. In the Dark!

That was frightening beyond words.

tracy hampshire
10-12-2012, 20:47
you can go to the north via santa cruz or take the direct bus from the south to puerto de la cruz, you do get quite high but no small roads with mega drops, from there you can catch the 363 along the coast calling at icod de los vinos, garachico, los silos & buena vista , a lovely part of the island & not too hairaising of a journey x

petals
10-12-2012, 22:04
thanks so much for that,will totally ignore the blanket trip lol

angel55
11-12-2012, 00:14
Definitly dont do masca ,we did it once ,never again . my mum insisted on sitting in the front seat on the way down , did she sit in the front on the way back up noooooooooooo way , it was frightning

warbey
11-12-2012, 21:45
Assuming You are staying in the South.? We have been to Santa Cruz and Loro Parque adjacent to Puerto Cruz.

Both Scenic, but I dont remember any Heights to be aware of. This is Main Roads mostly.

Enjoy Your Holiday on a Beautiful Island.

ribuck
12-12-2012, 12:30
Don't watch this video if you're scared of heights. It's taken on the Masca road, but it's a private coach rather than a scheduled TITSA bus service. I've always been satisfied with the safety and professionalism of the TITSA drivers on the descent to Masca.

"Idiot busdriver almost kills students":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-nkUnAcZtA

Jenny10
12-12-2012, 23:32
While you're here for 3 months, why not hire a car for a while? It's not particularly expensive, and you can change your mind on a trip if your route becomes too high. Going to the Teidi National Park isn't so bad, especially if you're in control of the speed etc. It's certainly worth a visit - the view/landscape is stunning. You don't have to go on the cable car to the top - too expensive and scary for me!! I hope you enjoy your time here :)