PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport How strict is the ITV in Tenerife compared to the MOT in the UK?

bigbite
09-12-2012, 00:34
how strict is it, compared to a mot

junglejim
09-12-2012, 01:35
Itīs all done automatically on a machine -Iīve seen it done once and the car failed on emissions - seems strict but fair .

bigbite
09-12-2012, 01:44
do they check all the same sort of things as a mot

junglejim
09-12-2012, 02:11
Fromwhat I remember yes -contact Ashro on here he has a garage for preITV work.

Harmonicaman
09-12-2012, 11:26
I don't understand this post. Surely you want your car to be safe? The tests are all in the form of a check list nowadays and the mechanic runs through them one at a time. If the check passes then that part is deemed roadworthy, if it fails then it isn't roadworthy. If it isn't roadworthy, replace/fix the part that failed. Simples. I'd rather be safe than have an accident because some mechanic I knew did me a "favour" by not being "Strict".

Suej
09-12-2012, 13:01
Fromwhat I remember yes -contact Ashro on here he has a garage for preITV work.

I agree! if the car is getting on a bit then a pre-check with Ashro will be worth it! they can be quite picky with things even down to tinted windscreens! Having said that there are so many cars around that look like they are ready for the scrap heap it makes you wonder how they ever get through an ITV!:drive:

junglejim
09-12-2012, 13:14
I don't understand this post. Surely you want your car to be safe? The tests are all in the form of a check list nowadays and the mechanic runs through them one at a time. If the check passes then that part is deemed roadworthy, if it fails then it isn't roadworthy. If it isn't roadworthy, replace/fix the part that failed. Simples. I'd rather be safe than have an accident because some mechanic I knew did me a "favour" by not being "Strict".
I know people who have had their car checked and prepared in Uk for MOT only to fail so that the garage could get the repair work .
I agree Iīd rather have my car safe than a favour done -but some garages and franchise have been found out by consumer experts to be at it !
From what I saw here on my friendīs car the system was quite tight and fair with the machine !

Mia
09-12-2012, 16:45
From what I saw here on my friendīs car the system was quite tight and fair with the machine !

We have just had our car tested "the first time for us" and i agree it was quite tight but fair.

Different to the UK because you drive yourself from machine to machine for each part of the test, but we think it is a good system.

essexeddie
31-12-2012, 19:32
I have heard that you have to understand Spanish to take your car. Is this so?

casabonny
31-12-2012, 19:36
It is better if you do as you have to follow the instructions that they give . Some of the staff are helpful if you struggle but others can make things very difficult, i have seen this many a time.

essexeddie
31-12-2012, 19:46
As I thought, best to pay some one who speaks the lingo to take it