PDA

View Full Version : Television Understanding boxes which live steam TV

Tickey
09-12-2012, 17:50
Now from what I can understand you can get Apple TV (even jailbroken) Roku, Western Digital and various other boxes which live stream TV via wifi to you television. How many of you use this and exactly how does it work and what does it cost over and above the box itself?

Thanking you in advance!

patrica
09-12-2012, 18:31
We use direct telecom with dt media , calls 300 free mins an internet . around 50 a month , and it all works well .

Tickey
09-12-2012, 18:33
Thanks Patrica but that is not what I had in mind :)

ciderhunter
09-12-2012, 19:46
If you have a strong wifi signal, you can just go to filmon.com and pick up UK tv from there. To get it from your computer screen to the tv screen would need a cable of some sort (not sure what the cable is called though)

casabonny
09-12-2012, 19:49
We are going to buy an apple iPad tv box for my daughter for Xmas and as I understand from her they are very easy to use

melm
09-12-2012, 19:53
If you have a strong wifi signal, you can just go to filmon.com and pick up UK tv from there. To get it from your computer screen to the tv screen would need a cable of some sort (not sure what the cable is called though)

its an HDMI cable.

Tickey
09-12-2012, 19:55

Yes we have been using filmon, however after a short while it told us our trial period was over (on my husbands lappie not mine yet although I started using it before him) We have been using HDMI cable connected to the tv for this. Also used TV nutters...

I just want information on these boxes please :)

Fivepence
09-12-2012, 20:08
Yes we have been using filmon, however after a short while it told us our trial period was over (on my husbands lappie not mine yet although I started using it before him) We have been using HDMI cable connected to the tv for this. Also used TV nutters...

I just want information on these boxes please :)

Is this any help (http://iptv.co.uk/) Tickey?

Tickey
09-12-2012, 20:12
No help what so ever Fivepence LOL :crylaughing:

Oop just seen the link :ashamed:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks Fivepence, we have the iplayer, the expat sheild, film on, TV nutters and all that jazz but what of the little box so we don't have to hook up our lappie each time? :sorry:

Fivepence
09-12-2012, 20:34
No help what so ever Fivepence LOL :crylaughing:

Oop just seen the link :ashamed:

Thanks Fivepence, we have the iplayer, the expat sheild, film on, TV nutters and all that jazz but what of the little box so we don't have to hook up our lappie each time? :sorry:

I believe the little box will connect directly to your tv through a router and you can also view on your laptop via cable or wifi at the same time.

Tickey
09-12-2012, 20:38
Yes I agree! but what can you watch, which box is best and do you pay anything? :dontknow:

Thanks Fivepence :tiphat:

Fivepence
09-12-2012, 20:43
Yes I agree! but what can you watch, which box is best and do you pay anything? :dontknow:

One example. (http://www.iptvsatellite.org/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=37)

The initial annual subscription includes the cost of the box.
The next year would be cheaper.

Tickey
09-12-2012, 20:45
One example. (http://www.iptvsatellite.org/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=37)

Which box, what channels etc please?

Fivepence
09-12-2012, 20:55
Which box, what channels etc please?

Click on the link 'One example' in my post Tickey.

grumps
09-12-2012, 21:38
the apple tv2 can be jailbroken and you can install things like xbmc on it which will get you lots of channels /sport etc..If you get the apple tv3 it can`t be hacked at the moment but if you`ve got a jailboken ipad you can stream xbmc iplayer etc to the box and it`s a lot cheaper.

Greg
09-12-2012, 22:34
I think Slingbox is what you are looking for. If you have a uk address to park it in, all you have to do is connect your skybox, freeview decoder, dvd player to the unit and you can be anywhere in the world and control the content from each box. About 100 quid on ebay, no ongoing costs apart from your internet connection.
http://uk.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd

Tickey
10-12-2012, 10:51
the apple tv2 can be jailbroken and you can install things like xbmc on it which will get you lots of channels /sport etc..If you get the apple tv3 it can`t be hacked at the moment but if you`ve got a jailboken ipad you can stream xbmc iplayer etc to the box and it`s a lot cheaper.

Thankyou grumps, yes apple tv2 can be jailbroken and I'm aware that you cannot jailbreak apple tv3 as yet, however I'm unsure what xbmc is exactly? also what are you able to watch and is there a fee?

I think Slingbox is what you are looking for. If you have a uk address to park it in, all you have to do is connect your skybox, freeview decoder, dvd player to the unit and you can be anywhere in the world and control the content from each box. About 100 quid on ebay, no ongoing costs apart from your internet connection.
http://uk.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd

Thanks for your information Greg but I'm guessing that if you were to use someone elses address you would have to watch what they are watching?

golf birdie
10-12-2012, 11:06
by reading into it I would say the apple box is the best if you have the bandwidth.

Tickey
10-12-2012, 11:09
Yes we have the bandwidth but still don't know what I can watch and if there is a charge :)

golf birdie
10-12-2012, 11:27
Yes we have the bandwidth but still don't know what I can watch and if there is a charge :)

with the jailbroken box all uk freeview plus channels from elsewhere. You will need a IP hider which apart from the box is the only charge I can see.

Tickey
10-12-2012, 11:41
with the jailbroken box all uk freeview plus channels from elsewhere. You will need a IP hider which apart from the box is the only charge I can see.

Thankyou Golfbirdie
:c2:

Greg
10-12-2012, 12:39
Thanks for your information Greg but I'm guessing that if you were to use someone elses address you would have to watch what they are watching?[/QUOTE]

Nope, you get a sky multiroom, connect the second box to the slingbox, there is only you using/controling that one.

Tickey
10-12-2012, 12:44
Can it we done with virgin Greg?

Fivepence
10-12-2012, 12:52

Click on the link 'One example' in my post Tickey.

Tickey the cost and information is on the link in my post
Click on 'One example'

Tickey
10-12-2012, 13:05
Thanks Fivepence but that is £300 a year :spin:

Fivepence
10-12-2012, 13:18
Thanks Fivepence but that is £300 a year :spin:

Yes I know Tickey but that's only £6 a week and the following year it says subscription costs (cos you bought the box with the first subscription) £125, which is £2.50 a week.
It is only one example and they recommend 5mg internet speed, there may be others.

Personally, I wouldn't use them unless I had no other option because I think they are too susceptible to streaming and buffering problems.

I was just trying to answer your question and to show an example.
I think you are right to question and investigate options.
That way you can make an informed decision.

Best wishes :tiphat:

Tickey
10-12-2012, 13:26
Yes the more information on what options are available the better. I have been looking at several options. Thanks for your help :tiphat:

Greg
10-12-2012, 19:51
Can it we done with virgin Greg?

As long as you have an upload speed of 2mps you can stream any media, sky, virgin media, dvd player, freeview box etc

delderek
10-12-2012, 20:38
That upload speed is the big problem. Unless you're on fibre optic it's going to be only around 1mg. And even on the cheapest fibre optic it's only around one and a half

Greg
10-12-2012, 20:42
BT infinity is £9 for six months and £18 there after. Damn cheap me thinks! And look at the download speeds, it's a movie buffs heaven. Torrent a HD movie in a few minutes!

Tickey
10-12-2012, 20:52
Well I am not with BT as am here in Tenerife but we use steaming already with 5 - 6mb and don't have too much of a problem :)

Greg
10-12-2012, 20:57
Good for you Tickey, but I was talking about the upload speed if you were to install a Slingbox in a property in the UK and stream content to here. (Or anywhere you are on holiday)

Vortex Wake
10-12-2012, 21:07
My Slingbox worked fine with a .5meg upload speed .

delderek
10-12-2012, 21:11
Agreed. But the upload is only one and a half

timmylish
11-12-2012, 03:00
I know that the OP is looking for a "box" system but I have to say that it somewhat amuses me to see all the differing suggestions in getting TV here. aybe sad to say but I,ll stick to my ever ready VPN giving me all the channels in the UK and the States and God knows elsewhere that anyone could want. Oh and total internet safety and security for banking etc. My IP address is unknown! This all for the amazing sum of under 6 quid a month oh and you can have more than one user at the same time watching different channels at no additional cost.
Sorry Tickey but I just had to stick my oar in!
http://vpnuk.net/

Tickey
11-12-2012, 10:16
Thank you Timmylish, however I don't see why Expat shield (free) and others would not work in the same way? We don't need to see US tv as it's rubbish, would rather see uk tv any day :spin:

golf birdie
11-12-2012, 10:35
I know that the OP is looking for a "box" system but I have to say that it somewhat amuses me to see all the differing suggestions in getting TV here. aybe sad to say but I,ll stick to my ever ready VPN giving me all the channels in the UK and the States and God knows elsewhere that anyone could want. Oh and total internet safety and security for banking etc. My IP address is unknown! This all for the amazing sum of under 6 quid a month oh and you can have more than one user at the same time watching different channels at no additional cost.
Sorry Tickey but I just had to stick my oar in!
http://vpnuk.net/

Timmy, a lot of people don't want to have to hook up a PC/laptop to the TV to be able to watch TV. I for one don't wish to do this which is why I am looking for a 2nd gen apple tv box. Will still need the VPN so I will check out the one you use.

Is there any other boxes that does the same as apple, just want to watch TV so I don't need to be linked to apple products.

Tickey
11-12-2012, 11:09
I agree golf birdie, having ones laptop hooked up just for tv makes it an expensive option to my mind although we do it from time to time if there is something we want to watch (and can not get it on our set up now)

As for the boxes I believe there is Roku and Western Digital, I will google and see what others there are. There are loads on ebay

timmylish
12-12-2012, 13:32
Timmy, a lot of people don't want to have to hook up a PC/laptop to the TV to be able to watch TV. I for one don't wish to do this which is why I am looking for a 2nd gen apple tv box. Will still need the VPN so I will check out the one you use.

Is there any other boxes that does the same as apple, just want to watch TV so I don't need to be linked to apple products.

Now I know that I may talking a load of balony but can you not get wi-fi tellys these days 'cause you could then do laptop to tv wirelessly?

I agree golf birdie, having ones laptop hooked up just for tv makes it an expensive option to my mind although we do it from time to time if there is something we want to watch (and can not get it on our set up now)

As for the boxes I believe there is Roku and Western Digital, I will google and see what others there are. There are loads on ebay

You,ve lost me a wee bit but what is expensive about cable from laptop to tv. Bother, aye, expensive well?

Tickey
12-12-2012, 17:41
My point Timmy was simply having a laptop dedicated to tv seemed an expensive option. I guess you can get wifi tv's but we are not about to swap ours as there is nothing wrong with it, let alone the cost of doing it

Ian_N
17-12-2012, 21:59
You need to buy an apple tv box 1st or 2nd generation think they are around 150 quid on ebay these also come with everything pre loaded so you dont have to mess yourself. I have the same software as these boxes on my computer. You get the british tv channels ok not brilliant picture and the you tube on it is the equivelant to tv catchup and sometimes you get sky sports channels. You also get streams for the football and the software installed allows you to watch any tv series there has been and all the latest movies i.e skyfall and twilight breaking dawn 11. xbmc is like a media player that is on the box or on your computer. Hope this helps

Tickey
18-12-2012, 08:16
Thanks very much :thanx: