PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the State Pension in the UK?

welsh wendy
21-06-2011, 23:00
Lots of grumblings in the Public Sector about their Private Pensions and State Pensions being put further on (age wise) than they anticipated. Sorry but I got my State Pension forecast a couple of years ago and knew then that I wouldn't get it until 63 yrs 4 mths. I only have a small private pension. I have always worked for small businesses and you only get paid basic SSP (this includes working for our family) - for the others they can be on the sick for the first 6mths with full pay and then it halves after that! What does anyone else think about this? Is it fair or not?:confused:

Skeggy
22-06-2011, 07:44
It is fair if it was agreed at the interview as part of the package on offer, it seems unfair to me to alter those agreed terms and conditions. Is it now affordable I think not, due to us all living longer, but successive Governments should have adjusted these terms for public sector employees much sooner as life expectations changed. I worked for a public company until retiring early, and saw my salary decline in real terms over many years, I only stayed for the pension, unfortunately staff costs are perhaps the only controlled expense a company or organisation has.

candy2411
22-06-2011, 08:13
Don't know why the Public Sector think they should be treated any differently from anyone else. The country can't afford these pensions and economies have to be made unfortunately.

Can't see the proposed strike on 30th June achieving anything apart from maybe causing a lot of chaos for everyone affected by closures, particularly of schools.

Can't see anything wrong with office workers, teachers etc having to work until age 66 providing their healthy and fit.....if they weren't they'd have taken early retirement on medical grounds anyway.

I mean its not like being a manual worker or someone who works outside in all weather, and as for teachers, well its a short working day and all those holidays!

They certainly don't have my support......I think they've had it too cosy for too long.

Bobby
22-06-2011, 08:39
It is fair if it was agreed at the interview as part of the package on offer, it seems unfair to me to alter those agreed terms and conditions. Is it now affordable I think not, due to us all living longer, but successive Governments should have adjusted these terms for public sector employees much sooner as life expectations changed. I worked for a public company until retiring early, and saw my salary decline in real terms over many years, I only stayed for the pension, unfortunately staff costs are perhaps the only controlled expense a company or organisation has.

Do you really think this Government cares about agreed terms and conditions or in fact contracts. I am in receipt of a public sector pension for which I paid 11% of my salary. In accordance with my "terms and conditions" it has been upgraded each year in accordance with RPI but this year the Government has changed this to CPI and as a consequence I lost 1.3% of the rise I should have had. This was done with no consultation whatsoever. You may well ask then why should I also get the OAP (well I did pay in for it) but heres the crunch I pay more tax on my occupational pension than I receive with the OAP. In addition I am taxed as an 18 year old single man because of the level of my income. There is no justice to be had in the Uk at the moment!

Skeggy
22-06-2011, 08:53
I thought that I implied that I did not agree to changing peoples terms and conditions by employers or Governments. ie RPI to CPI but i don't think you can get or expect much sympathy if you pay over a £100 per week tax on pension income. I think all new employee's will not get the benefits that our generation has had. Pension Schemes are now underfunded as the result of companies using their funds for redundancies and contribution holidays.

Bobby
22-06-2011, 09:31
[QUOTE=Skeggy;21574]I thought that I implied that I did not agree to changing peoples terms and conditions by employers or Governments. ie RPI to CPI but i don't think you can get or expect much sympathy if you pay over a £100 per week tax on pension income. I think all new employee's will not get the benefits that our generation has had. Pension Schemes are now underfunded as the result of companies using their funds for redundancies and contribution holidays.[/QUO

I was not trying to gain sympathy simply stating facts. Perhaps the new generation don't deserve the benefits we get. I for one left school at 15 and worked hard all my life, sometimes 14 hours a day. Was required to join the army - taking a pay cut- and then having to start all over again.. My current pension reflects the effort I put into my career

Skeggy
22-06-2011, 10:28
[QUOTE=Skeggy;21574]I thought that I implied that I did not agree to changing peoples terms and conditions by employers or Governments. ie RPI to CPI but i don't think you can get or expect much sympathy if you pay over a £100 per week tax on pension income. I think all new employee's will not get the benefits that our generation has had. Pension Schemes are now underfunded as the result of companies using their funds for redundancies and contribution holidays.[/QUO

I was not trying to gain sympathy simply stating facts. Perhaps the new generation don't deserve the benefits we get. I for one left school at 15 and worked hard all my life, sometimes 14 hours a day. Was required to join the army - taking a pay cut- and then having to start all over again.. My current pension reflects the effort I put into my career

A lot of the new generation do deserve opportunities to a good standard of income and prospects they have studied and worked hard, I know many instances where I am delighted to see them gaining the recognition they deserve unfortunately some who have worked hard do not get the opportunities, When I left school there were not many people out of work and if you did'nt like a job you could soon get another and prospects were much better than the current climate..

malvasia
22-06-2011, 10:35
There should ALWAYS be consultation. After all, when can an employee, whether public or private, walk into the bosses office and tell him that he is having a pay rise. The rise will have to be negotiated, through consultation.
Has to work both ways..................unless you are the boss.
Oh and by the way dont believe that all UK is struggling, the increased profits of luxury goods suppliers prove that only the less well off are having to tighten their belts. Jaguar and Mangold have both posted record profits in the year 2011. How many low income families buy those goods ??.
Just as well that "we are all in it together" isnt it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxlauraxx
24-06-2011, 13:56
glad my mums released her private pension, cos theyll be goin down soon!! pm me if you want the number who did it!