PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport I'm choosing a new car. Hyundai I20 Comfort, Seat Ibiza 1.2 or Peugeot 208 1.2?

balababe
12-12-2012, 17:35
Since my old Renault Megane is now of scrappage age, I went to look at these three superminis today. I simply cannot make up my mind. I need advice from all you more knowledgeable people and who look for more than which looks coolest and has the best sound system. Thanks :).

Santiago
12-12-2012, 23:01
balababe,when you are choosing a new car there are one or two things you MUST do. Decide if it's comfortable and nice to drive - don't just drive it round the block but ask to take it out on your own for a good run and check what it is like to park! See if it's easy to fill with fuel and, depending on your mileage, is it economical enough for your requirements? Is the boot big enough for your shopping or anything else you may want to fit in it? Does the steering wheel have rake and reach adjust (can you pull it out/push it in and lift it up or down to suit your sitting position). What is the visibility like all round the car - can you see an overtaking vehicle easily?

If costs are an issue, find out how much new tyres would cost, some of the small hatchbacks have very wide tyres which can be extremely expensive. Ask how much the servicing costs are for a standard and a full service. Also, find out how much service parts cost - oil filter, air filter, etc. (you can look these up on the internet), some cars are a lot more expensive on parts than others.

Make sure all the switches, buttons, etc., are easy to reach without you taking your eyes off the road, and make sure that when you collect it after you have bought it, the salesman goes right through it with you so that you know what everything does. I once thought I had a problem with a new car when a pretty little orange cog wheel lit up on the speedometer and I thought I had run out of engine oil. I had to stop and look in the book only to find that the cog wheel was actually a snowflake which appeared when the temperature dropped to 4 degrees and below and that it changed to red when the temperature outside was below freezing (and I worked for a car dealership for 17 years - oh the shame!).

Last of all, and quite important - walk all round it and ask yourself "Will I be happy seeing and driving this car every day?" Sometimes the car in the showroom looks much nicer under lights than it does outside in daylight. Don't be afraid to ask the salesman as many questions as you want and push him for a discount, even a tenner is better than nothing. Remember, the salesman is almost certainly on commission and he wants to make a sale so he is prepared to be pushed a bit on the price. But, don't have something you don't really want if he offers a wonderful bargain! Check it out first.

Good luck and I hope you end up with a winner!

balababe
13-12-2012, 09:32
Thanks, Santiago - that is a very comprehensive response - especially the steering wheel one, as I am 5ft 2ins and my husband is 6ft 2ins. I am going to look at Kia, Nissan and Honda today, just to make myself more indecisive!

jimbo
13-12-2012, 12:31
i would go for kia well made car with a 7 year warranty you cant get better than that sorry ingnore that i ment hyundia with a 5 year warranty but consider the kia as well

timmylish
13-12-2012, 13:34
I am amazed that no-one has suggested the best selling Super-mini in Europe, namely the Ford Fiesta. Mrs. T. bought hers 2 years ago, full 5 year warranty, 0% interest over 2 years and it has to be the very best small car which I,ve ever driven in more than 45 years of driving. Mrs. T. loves her wee car and goes up and down the autopista like a dream. Great economy, low servicing costs and insurance. Comfortable but also great fun to drive. When I get a shot driving it I sit with a smile om my face. Read why the competiition cannot beat this car. Go to online sites and you,ll be able to get an idea. I,ve recommeneded it to 4 different couples, 3 of whom went "FORD", not on your nellie. Having driven it however all have ended up buying one! Up-dated version due out next month but its mainly titivating stuff with the exception of choice of engines which includes a 1 lt. turbo-charged petrol engine which is tried and tested and will give incredable returns. When we were in the process of looking at EVERY car in the bracket we spoke, at length to Ashro (member mechanic on here) and he confirmed my opinions. If you don,t at least look at this car you,re doing yourself an injustice. Go to Archiauto at las Chafiras and only deal with Fabritzio, who speaks very good English. Tell him the Scot, Celtic supporter married to the Russian and he,ll just smile. He,s done very well from my recommendations!

golf birdie
13-12-2012, 13:41
I am amazed that no-one has suggested the best selling Super-mini in Europe, namely the Ford Fiesta. !

its hard to argue with that choice, great looking car, great to drive, loads of space plus much, much more. All the car you need for Tenerife.

Graceylacey
13-12-2012, 16:53
I have been looking at cars today and I must admit the Ford Fiesta was the best one for me too. A lovely looking small car nice to drive and good offers on them at the moment

chifleta
13-12-2012, 17:58
balababe can i PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have your electric window motors PLEASE :pray::wave::pray::wave::pray:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

ps my other half has been talking about getting a Dacia!? (I think they have a Renault engine, but he's asleep so can't ask).... apparently very cheap brand new, actually cheaper than our second hand Renault.

LOL i've edited this twice, I was so excited seeing someone with a renault megane ooop :)

balababe
13-12-2012, 19:37
Just read your email, timmylish, and in fact we spoke to Fabrizio today. Impressed by the Ford Fiesta, but also by the Kia Rio. It seems as if the Kia deal is only offering the government part of the scrappage deal - and possibly some others - the line is that it has already been discounted - may be true, but I tend to be cynical.

My favourite is a Peugeot automatic that is way out of my price range!

So we are still unsure - Hyundai is the cheapest at 9.990 euros and Ford 2 thousand more. We have also been offered a demonstration car (Ibiza) at Seat - "top of the range" and at 11.400 euros - more than we thought of spending. Also priced out at Honda and Toyota.

Which Fiesta are you thinking of buying, Graceylacey?

golf birdie
13-12-2012, 19:44
I would not touch any french car with a barge pole.

Just read your email, timmylish, and in fact we spoke to Fabrizio today. Impressed by the Ford Fiesta, but also by the Kia Rio. It seems as if the Kia deal is only offering the government part of the scrappage deal - and possibly some others - the line is that it has already been discounted - may be true, but I tend to be cynical.

go on Ford.es and price it up and see if they are offering the discount for scrappage on the Fiesta. Last time I looked they were.

Fivepence
13-12-2012, 20:18
I would not touch any french car with a barge pole.

go on Ford.es and price it up and see if they are offering the discount for scrappage on the Fiesta. Last time I looked they were.

The Fiesta is a great car and the added bonus with Ford is they do the quickclear windscreen.
Very handy when you have freezing temperatures. :laugh:

Santiago
14-12-2012, 00:05
I am in the process of part-exing my Fiesta for a new Focus. I love the Fiesta but need the larger boot as I carry a lot of stuff in the summer and should have thought of that when I bought the car!. Wish I could send you my Fiesta - 3 years old, under 20,000 miles and it's a 1.6S (the one with the big spoiler on the back).

If you can get the choice with the scrappage, go for the Fiesta,they all drive well no matter what the power but the new ecoboost ONE litre engine is fantastic (go for the 118bhp version). I believe that the left hand drive ones are made in Spain so I would have thought the price would reflect that! Give it a try on the road and see what you think!

I have now done what I vowed I wouldn't, which is to recommend a car. Ignore everything and go for the one that fits your ideal and, of course, your price range! Remember, you can listen to all the advice in the world but in the end you are going to be the one who is stuck with it if it's not right!!!!

timmylish
14-12-2012, 05:10
[QUOTE=balababe;245723]Just read your email, timmylish, and in fact we spoke to Fabrizio today. Impressed by the Ford Fiesta, but also by the Kia Rio. It seems as if the Kia deal is only offering the government part of the scrappage deal - and possibly some others - the line is that it has already been discounted - may be true, but I tend to be cynical.

I,m gonna stick my nose in again on the Fiesta. As you can see a few on here have, like my wife (really me) bought a Fiesta amd all have loved it. Unusual to get universal agreement on any purchase but, there you have it. Sometimes, like i,ve commeneted on recently elsewhere on this Forum, price is not everything. You are gonna have to liev with whichever car you buy so make sure its right for you. Since others have adversely commented on poorer cars I,ll do the same. In the year 2013 I would not enetertain any French car nor would I touch a Seat with a barge pole! Doesn,t leave many to consider when you really get down to it. ie. The Hyundia may be cheaper than most but try to get parts for it and you,ll wait a year. Back onto the new Fiesta (well the up-graded one) get the 1ltr. petrol turbo. Beats anything on the range for fun to drive, comfort and economy and, it don,t half look smart with the "Aston Martin" front grill look.

pps. The 2 1.2 ltr. cars you mention are basically underpowered and have no guts on the Autopista when you need it.

BoPeep
14-12-2012, 11:10
Take care with this new scrappage deal, we had an old car and if we had used the deal we would have ended up with 500 euros less net when we bought our new car because of the discounts the agents will give you anyway!

We simply sold the old car first!

balababe
14-12-2012, 14:53
Take care with this new scrappage deal, we had an old car and if we had used the deal we would have ended up with 500 euros less net when we bought our new car because of the discounts the agents will give you anyway!

We simply sold the old car first!

That is a very good point - it looks as if "it is discounted already" means the garage does not have to take off their 1000 euros, so there is little benefit.

Still looking - I would like to have a look at the Ford Fiesta 1 ltr turbo, as recommended by timmylish - also his comment about parts for the Hyundai is worth considering, as the car looks good and it a good price.

Thank you for everyone who has helped - any more comments will be very welcome.

chifleta
14-12-2012, 15:17
i was serious about your electric window motors.... we'd pay for them :D

Santiago
14-12-2012, 15:17
That is a very good point - it looks as if "it is discounted already" means the garage does not have to take off their 1000 euros, so there is little benefit.

Still looking - I would like to have a look at the Ford Fiesta 1 ltr turbo, as recommended by timmylish - also his comment about parts for the Hyundai is worth considering, as the car looks good and it a good price.

Thank you for everyone who has helped - any more comments will be very welcome.

The one litre turbo which timmylish recommended is the same one as the ecoboost version. It has a three cylinder engine with a turbo booster for quick overtaking or when you need instant acceleration. You can read about it on Auto Express website here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/61447/ford-fiesta-10-ecoboost and also get the gen straight for Ford at:
http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Fiesta/Overview?campaignid=ford-fiesta&advertiserid=google&bannerid=ppc-ford-fiesta-ford-fiesta-phrase&searchid=ppc-ford-fiesta-ford-fiesta-phrase where you can download a brochure or actually build your own car online! This is Ford UK of course and the prices would probably vary in the Canaries depending on where you want to buy it or use it.

The car the autoexpress team tried out was probably more powerful than you would need at 123bhp - and more expensive - and the Zetec 1.0T Ecoboost 100PS would be quite sufficient for you if you don't need to speed along. (The PS is the metric version of horse power - 1PS=0.986 BHP so 100PS=98.6Bhp - and defines the power of the engine!)

Don't forget to check out the insurance groups on the various cars! Also, I'm not sure if there is any road tax in the Canaries but in England the Ecoboost attracts a first year's road tax of NIL and £30 per year after!!

BoPeep
14-12-2012, 16:21
The choice of car really comes down to what you need, ie, room inside, room needed in boot, cost, miles per gallon...it goes on and on!

We are not here much so we wanted something cheap, automatic with a big boot and a low mpg, so we went for the Skodia Fabia Combi automatic. For us its brilliant but if you want a flashy car, zippy and fun you certainly dont want it!

oh...and first service in 2 years or 30000 kms!

balababe
15-12-2012, 10:09
Thank you, BoPeep - another to add to my list. We have decided not to rush this and are going to buy in February. Chifleta, I have noted your request. We are also considering selling the car as recommended by BoPeep - 12 year old Renault Megane, 75 km on the clock. One back door won't open! Regularly serviced etc. - if we decide, we will put it onto the For Sale Section after Christmas.

Short list now includes Skoda and Ford. When I look at what we need, I suppose a reasonable size boot to carry all our beach equipment, good sound system, not bothered by appearance really, although I would obviously prefer flashy!!!!

chifleta
15-12-2012, 10:30
Thank you, BoPeep - another to add to my list. We have decided not to rush this and are going to buy in February. Chifleta, I have noted your request. We are also considering selling the car as recommended by BoPeep - 12 year old Renault Megane, 75 km on the clock. One back door won't open! Regularly serviced etc. - if we decide, we will put it onto the For Sale Section after Christmas.

Short list now includes Skoda and Ford. When I look at what we need, I suppose a reasonable size boot to carry all our beach equipment, good sound system, not bothered by appearance really, although I would obviously prefer flashy!!!! i will keep an eye out for the advert... is it a 1.6, ours is about the same age, so we would definately consider a look, thx :-)

timmylish
15-12-2012, 13:02
You may wish to look at this from to-day,s MSN UK
http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/christmas/the-best-cars-weve-driven-in-2012#image=7

balababe
15-12-2012, 18:30
Don't know why I put February, I meant JANUARY. Back here after two weeks in UK on 3rd January, so will let you know, Chifleta. I think it is a 1.9, by the way. Thanks, timmylish, I am going to go on the link now.