PDA

View Full Version : Why are pets not welcome in apartments in Tenerife?

kangnkodos
13-12-2012, 22:04
sorry but got to get this off me chest and hopefully im not on me own.me and my wife have been searching for a long let apartment in los cris for over 3 weeks now and everytime we find the perfect pad the same ridiculous problem keeps spoiling things............NO PETS.what annoys me most about this anti pets attitude is that the same property owners welcome all children without question.now im sure anybody in their right mind would agree that kids are much noisier and destructive than any pet i could think of,so does anybody on here have any idea what the hell this prejudice is all about

cainaries
13-12-2012, 22:50
From what we've learned here the Spanish don't keep their pets in their houses and they think it is dirty to keep pets inside. It is something about extranjeros that they don't like. On the other hand, children are little angels ....

Personally I agree with you. Four legs good and (small) two legs bad.

We are the only people where we live who have our animals inside in our house. It's just a 'cultural difference',

Javi
19-12-2012, 20:34
I am Canarian. The reason is quite simple. Pets are dirty and can bring into the property lot of parasites (visible and non-visibles). Not to mention bad smell after the pets have left the property. Furthermore, fleas can appear after that.

And please, please, please, comparing pets with kids...oh, Lord! I am not going to say a word about it. Now, where are my old Led Zeppelin CDs?

cainaries
19-12-2012, 20:45
I am Canarian. The reason is quite simple. Pets are dirty and can bring into the property lot of parasites (visible and non-visibles). Not to mention bad smell after the pets have left the property. Furthermore, fleas can appear after that.

And please, please, please, comparing pets with kids...oh, Lord! I am not going to say a word about it. Now, where are my old Led Zeppelin CDs?

Javi, I really never ever want to upset a Canarian as you are without doubt the kindest people in the world. At least kids don't bring parasites, fleas, etc. into the house. And they don't bark all day and all night either. But both kids and dogs whine. There are all sorts of issues here which the OP may not have appreciated. Perhaps he has 3 huge Bernese Mountain Dogs.

What tends to happen here is that people agree to rent the property without mentioning their pets and then sneak them in afterwards to the horror of the landlord/landlady. Especially when they are 3 Bernese Mountain Dogs. And this is a true story. And it is a very small apartment.

tracy hampshire
19-12-2012, 20:49
i am in the north, but this is my forth different rental in 4 years & all have been canarian owned & have not had a problem taking my small dog, are you renting through agents ? you might try a web site like milanuncios, where you rent direct from the owner, when we lived in puerto de la cruz most of the long stay europeans had there dogs with them, & i must say most of the canarians that i know have small dogs & treat them like children, granted the big ones live outside, good luck with you apartment search :)

Javi
20-12-2012, 09:52
Javi, I really never ever want to upset a Canarian as you are without doubt the kindest people in the world. At least kids don't bring parasites, fleas, etc. into the house. And they don't bark all day and all night either. But both kids and dogs whine. There are all sorts of issues here which the OP may not have appreciated. Perhaps he has 3 huge Bernese Mountain Dogs.

What tends to happen here is that people agree to rent the property without mentioning their pets and then sneak them in afterwards to the horror of the landlord/landlady. Especially when they are 3 Bernese Mountain Dogs. And this is a true story. And it is a very small apartment.

Cainaries, don't get me wrong. I am not upset and of course, I am not the kindest person in the world neither :thanx:. I used to have pets at home, lot of in fact. Once our children were born, the pets are in a small farm. Children love playing with them...so I am not son pets unfriendly after all:laugh:
Keep on searching, surely there are lot of owners out there willing to rent despite of pets.

Balcony
20-12-2012, 16:04
There are a lot of apartment complexes that don't allow pets, my former one included. I'm sure the resident mafia on mine would have banned children laughing and playing if they could! What did change was that pets were allowed, but within the apartment, not allowed to roam the complex.

The perceived problem was simply the mess they leave. Cats and dogs poo, they pee. It smells and fouls stairways, walkways etc. Someone has to clean that up, as owners would, clearly, be no-where to be seen! By the way, we also see some dog owners taking dogs for a walk with no attempt to pick up their dog's mess.

On our complex it was mainly cats. There were both domesticated and wild cats around. Cats are free spirits, they get everywhere and love to let you know where they've been with a little parcel of something smelling....well! Domesticated dogs never seemed to be left to roam. We are definate animal lovers (have several), but we can understand the problem on a complex. Or is it a Brit thing?

Suej
20-12-2012, 16:25
sorry but got to get this off me chest and hopefully im not on me own.me and my wife have been searching for a long let apartment in los cris for over 3 weeks now and everytime we find the perfect pad the same ridiculous problem keeps spoiling things............NO PETS.what annoys me most about this anti pets attitude is that the same property owners welcome all children without question.now im sure anybody in their right mind would agree that kids are much noisier and destructive than any pet i could think of,so does anybody on here have any idea what the hell this prejudice is all about
I'm quite surprised by your post as I know quite a few people who have pets that rent property here without much trouble, they all paid deposits which can be witheld at the end of their contracts if any damage had been done! if you don't mind me asking how many pets do you have? I do hope you find a suitable home for you and your pets! :)

9PLUS
20-12-2012, 20:54
They just say no pets because they don't like the look of you

x

Ecky Thump
20-12-2012, 22:09
They just say no pets because they don't like the look of you

x

Is that from your own personal experience?

X

:p

9PLUS
20-12-2012, 22:11
Yes when you're with me

timmylish
21-12-2012, 01:15
I am fairly sure that under current Spanish Law you are acting illegally denying people residing in any complex if they are pet owners.

9PLUS
21-12-2012, 01:40
warrabout a pet elephant?