PDA

View Full Version : Other Does anyone want to go hiking in Barranco del Infierno on 19th December 2012?

languagefan
15-12-2012, 21:13
Hi everybody,
We are going to the most mesmorising "Barranco del infierno" on Wednesday.
Here are some pix:
http://www.google.es/search?q=barranco+del+infierno+images&hl=es&client=firefox-a&hs=BWe&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-9XMUPzGBIW5hAfn64CIDg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=629
It is much greener this time of the year, and it is one of the most beautiful historical trekking paths of Tenerife.
We will meet in front of Hiperdino Supermarket in Adeje town (Pueblo de Adeje, avda constitucion) at 11 am, and walk slowly and enjoyably toward Barranco. I am quite easy going (not a macho hardcore walker!) and we will be walking slowly for about a total of not more than 2-2.5 hours, and have enough time to enjoy the nature, views, take photos, some picnic.
Post something here if you fancy joining, and be on time not to be disappointed.
The following buses pass through Adeje: 473 and 417 (ask driver for pueblo de Adeje). Once in Adeje town watch for the big brown signs of "Cafeteria Juventud" and get off immediately and look for Hiperdino at the junction.
PM direct if u want my mobile number.

angiebabes
15-12-2012, 21:20
Yes please we really fancy this and will pm you for your number so we can make contact . Thanks for the invitation

languagefan
15-12-2012, 22:27
no probs. Info sent. see u on Wednesday.

chifleta
15-12-2012, 22:30
have they declared it safe and opened it up again then?

Dore
15-12-2012, 22:44
No it has been closed for several years because it is unsafe. You can go but if you get into any difficulties dont expect help as you will be there without permission.

chifleta
16-12-2012, 00:04
No it has been closed for several years because it is unsafe. You can go but if you get into any difficulties dont expect help as you will be there without permission.

I thought it was still closed, thanks :)

TenerifeTeddy
16-12-2012, 11:25
This is a walk I would love to do, but whilst it remains officially closed there is a real risk of falling foul of the new rules that mean you would be billed if an accident happened and you had to be rescued by the authorities. This bill would likely run to several thousand euros, and you would not be covered by any insurance.

Skeggy
16-12-2012, 12:03
I have spent quite a lot of time on Tenerife over the last ten years and walked in most areas, even before the closure of the barranco the authorities only allowed a certain number to walk it each day, I have never been allowed but have had my interest verified and my country of origin noted by a man seated in the admission box and there used to be a charge of 3€ and since this custom has ceased many have climbed over the fence and walked the barranco, I think that it is perhaps short sighted to invite people to walk with you and you may then be liable should any mishap occur. It would be nice however to have an update from the local ayutimento on any progress to restoring this very popular walk.

Suej
16-12-2012, 12:12
no probs. Info sent. see u on Wednesday.

Please don't attempt this walk while it is officially closed it could be very dangerous! it's not flat and there was quite a lot of loose stones and rocks when I did it about 4 or 5 years ago! It's more of a hike than a walk! there were always guides/rangers going backwards and forwards to make sure no one got into difficulties you will not have that if you go it alone! We had a lot of rain in early November this can only add to the dangers!

TenerifeTeddy
16-12-2012, 12:28
I have spent quite a lot of time on Tenerife over the last ten years and walked in most areas, even before the closure of the barranco the authorities only allowed a certain number to walk it each day, I have never been allowed but have had my interest verified and my country of origin noted by a man seated in the admission box and there used to be a charge of 3€ and since this custom has ceased many have climbed over the fence and walked the barranco, I think that it is perhaps short sighted to invite people to walk with you and you may then be liable should any mishap occur. It would be nice however to have an update from the local ayutimento on any progress to restoring this very popular walk.

Earlier this year I know there were discussions going on about how it could be opened again, without the Ayuntiamento being held liable if anyone was injured by falling rocks etc. Which is why it was closed in the first place. There was talk of inspections and maintenance and of shoring up the loosest cliffs etc, but I haven't seen anything about it for at least 9 months.

languagefan
16-12-2012, 12:46
Thanks for all feedback. I was there a few days ago and there was no sign to suggest it was closed and I saw many other people walking. I however withdraw my earlier invite as advised by fellow members. thanks.

ribuck
16-12-2012, 13:27
Aw, languagefan, I'm sorry you've been discouraged. Have a great trip anyway! I'd love to join you if I was in Tenerife at the moment.

The walk is only closed to avoid legal risk for the Ayuntiamento. It's not closed for the safety or benefit of the people. It's not as if the authorities closed it off before the landslide, and there's not much point closing it off afterwards.

Anywhere in Tenerife where there is steep ground, there is some risk of landslides, particularly in or just after adverse weather (heavy rain, strong winds, etc). It's a risk I'm happy to take based on my own evalutation of the environment, not based on some knee-jerk exercise of power after the authorities failed to ensure safety.