PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Humanist societies or meetings in Tenerife?

blueeyes
17-12-2012, 03:13
Can anyone advise if there are any humanist social groups on tenerife....... Cheers!!!:cheer:

angel55
17-12-2012, 03:17
What are humanists , and what do they do , forgive my ignorence

blueeyes
17-12-2012, 03:28
What Do Humanists Believe?

August 1992

Existence

Humanists do not believe in God. On balance, the evidence is against there being any supernatural force in the world, so Humanists prefer the scientific theory of evolution to explain why we are here. To say "God created everything" just poses the question: "Who created God?"

Responsibility

Humanists accept responsibility for their own lives. There are no "god-given" rules to guide our actions and decide what we believe. But, human beings also have a responsibility to the whole world. We are more advanced than any other living beings: we have unique abilities of understanding, reason, and sensitivity. For this reason, we must face the fact that the future of humankind--and the natural world--is in the hands of men and women, not fate or god.

Death

Humanists believe that when a person dies, that is that! The human body is a wonderful organism, but when it ceases to function, the person is dead and there can be no further existence. For some people it is comforting to believe in a reunion with family and friends in some future life, but we feel that that the very idea of an "afterlife" is really just wishful thinking. What matters to Humanists is "here and now"--for ourselves and future generations.

New Ideas

Humanists do not claim to have any final answers. We look to the open book of nature, not to the closed book of "revelation", for our understanding of the world and what is important in it. Science and ethics are continuing processes of discovery and surprise, so one must always be willing to consider new ideas.

Tolerance

Humanists expect fair play! Belief in God is a strength and help to many people, and we have no wish to threaten or distress them by undermining that support. However, we strongly object to schools teaching children about religion as if it were established fact. We expect the same critical methods to be used in studying religion as are considered necessary in the study of science or history.

Right And Wrong

Humanists are deeply concerned about right and wrong. Every society needs a moral code if people are to live together in harmony. But we believe that morality comes from within ourselves, not from "God". It is to do with people, with individual goodwill and social responsibility: it is about unselfishness and kindness and consideration towards others.

Morality is possible because human beings have a sense of responsibility, and we work out our moral code as we come to understand what this means to ourselves and other people. Religious teaching and prejudice have, in the past, clouded this human basis of morality. But it is emerging now and needs to be developed and presented clearly.

Humanists have two particular responsibilities here:

We must share with others our view that the highest human values and ideals come from people and not from "God".
We must seek to influence society for the best, along the lines that we ourselves have worked out.
Social Issues

We accept our responsibility for the society in which we live but we will resist those who wish to re-impose the prejudiced and intolerant morals of the past. We tackle sensitive issues-from abortion to capitol punishment, from medical ethics to religious and moral education. Our approach is based on a concern for the welfare and happiness of both individuals and communities.

We want to make this world better and safer for our own and future generations. We will work with others, when we can, for international peace, and end to hunger and poverty, and the protection of our natural environment.

It is not enough for people simply to have a conscience about such matters--that conscience must be stirred into action.

Self-Reliant

Humanists differ from religious people in a number of ways. We do not ask for help from "god", nor do we expect any reward in "heaven". Instead we rely upon ourselves and other human beings, and devote our time and energy to the world we live in.

"The humanist has faith in man's intellectual and spiritual resources not only to bring knowledge and understanding of the world but to solve the moral problems of how to use that knowledge. That man should show respect to man irrespective of class, race or creed is fundamental to the humanist attitude to life. Among the fundamental moral principles he would count those of freedom, tolerance and happiness."

Hope that helps........

angel55
17-12-2012, 03:35
Thanks Blueeys for that

Suej
17-12-2012, 13:50
So Humanist is just another word for Atheist then? (sorry if that's spelt incorrectly!):)

Tickey
17-12-2012, 14:11
I like the sound of humanists :spin:

ribuck
17-12-2012, 14:56
So Humanist is just another word for Atheist then?
Not quite. All humanists are atheists, but not all atheists are humanists.

Humanists accept the idea of moral principles. They believe that the source of all good and bad is from within humans, not from some outside source. So a psychopath with no notion of good or bad could not be a humanist, but that psychopath may or may not believe in a god.

Actually, most "religious" people also believe that the ultimate source of all good or bad is from within humans. Most "religious" people pick and choose which parts of their doctrine to follow. For example, most christians readily discard the parts of the bible that tell them to beat their wives, stone their disobedient children, conquer other nations and rape their population, etc. So, by selecting which parts of their religious doctrine to follow, those people have already demonstrated that their moral choices override those promulgated by their religion.

9PLUS
17-12-2012, 15:24
I've read the celestine prophecy twice in a cafe

does that mean anything?

Malteser Monkey
17-12-2012, 15:36

does that mean anything?

That the coffee was good ?

Fivepence
17-12-2012, 16:07
That the coffee was good ?

:laugh::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
17-12-2012, 16:12
:laugh::laugh:

Or the waitress had big...............pfffts

Thank you I'm here all week !:wink:

Fivepence
17-12-2012, 16:55
Or the waitress had big...............pfffts

Thank you I'm here all week !:wink:

Eyes...............:wow:

blueeyes
17-12-2012, 17:16
No!! I am not a humanist myself but i am extremely interested in becoming one. Why!! say atheist no-one really knows what the score is but humanists do have an open mind. In todays day in age with all the catastrophes and terrible thing that are happening maybe it is time to think of our fellow human beings and what we can do for them instead of worrying about ourselves and what is going to happen to us. Maybe it would be a much happier and better place if there was not such a thing as religion as we know it has caused so much conflict, hate , death and pain, maybe it is time for a new approach. This means instead of relying on higher source such as a creator we have to look inside ourselves, which i think is much more reassuring and natural, don't you? I am not ruling anything out because like everyone else i do not know for certain, do i want to be in an afterlife not really, my life my one life is enough and so it should be for everyone.

Greg
17-12-2012, 20:32
Personally I wouldn't mind a spot of afterlife. Maybe it's a bit like the after party at a rock concert or final wrap of a movie. Sort of like "Welcome Dude, your life's over now the big party starts" And seeing as non of us really know I'm sticking to my beliefs!!

TOTO 99
17-12-2012, 20:47

does that mean anything?

It means...you were on your own in a cafe....AKA..William N Mates...:laugh:

Vortex Wake
17-12-2012, 21:28
No!! I am not a humanist myself but i am extremely interested in becoming one. Why!! say atheist no-one really knows what the score is but humanists do have an open mind. In todays day in age with all the catastrophes and terrible thing that are happening maybe it is time to think of our fellow human beings and what we can do for them instead of worrying about ourselves and what is going to happen to us. Maybe it would be a much happier and better place if there was not such a thing as religion as we know it has caused so much conflict, hate , death and pain, maybe it is time for a new approach. This means instead of relying on higher source such as a creator we have to look inside ourselves, which i think is much more reassuring and natural, don't you? I am not ruling anything out because like everyone else i do not know for certain, do i want to be in an afterlife not really, my life my one life is enough and so it should be for everyone.

Best wait til after Christmas - otherwise you'll have to take back all your Christmas prezzies!

http://www.smile-day.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Smiley-Wink2.jpg

ciderhunter
17-12-2012, 23:07
Thank, you blueeyes for all the information about Humanism.

Atheism (a non-prophet org). has stood me well over the years and I think I will stick with that.

I am thinking of toying with antitheism though.

blueeyes
18-12-2012, 10:57
Yehh!!! haha... that sounds fun... but if you have lived a good life and done nothing really bad wrong and if there is a god then surely he woulod treat you the same as others who did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Yehh!!! haha... that sounds fun... but if you have lived a good life and done nothing really bad wrong and if there is a god then surely he would treat you the same as others who did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

haha!! true, but christmas isnt the same as it used to me anyway............. lol

Malteser Monkey
18-12-2012, 14:17
haha!! true, but christmas isnt the same as it used to me anyway............. lol

Why what is it Easter ?:D

Fivepence
18-12-2012, 14:30
Why what is it Easter ?:D

Do they hold any 'Sheepist' meetings in your part of the world MM?:whistle:

Malteser Monkey
18-12-2012, 14:44
Do they hold any 'Sheepist' meetings in your part of the world MM?:whistle:

Thursday's 6-9 run by Shaun:D

blueeyes
18-12-2012, 17:41
possibly wales, maybe new zealand baaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! im not sure!! :lol:

Malteser Monkey
18-12-2012, 17:44
possibly wales, maybe new zealand baaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! im not sure!! :lol:

New Zealand :wow: that's a bit faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar for me to go:D

warbey
18-12-2012, 19:26

Any belief is better than none.?

Strikes Me though that Some back the Horse each Way..i.e. "If there Is a God"

Shaun sheers here too Double M

doingok
19-12-2012, 22:44

Any belief is better than none.?

Strikes Me though that Some back the Horse each Way..i.e. "If there Is a God"

Shaun sheers here too Double M

Any belief is better than none.? even if its wrong, i sit on the fence on this one and go with common sense and facts.

tonythorne
22-12-2012, 10:13
The problem with the concept of an afterlife is with the word "forever" which seems impossible to me. Who could ever get on with anyone for that long...?

warbey
22-12-2012, 19:35
The problem with the concept of an afterlife is with the word "forever" which seems impossible to me. Who could ever get on with anyone for that long...?

I prefer the word....Eternal.....

tonythorne
27-12-2012, 13:52
I prefer the word....Eternal.....

Sorry to take so long to see that and to comment... however,

Eternal is an adjective ... I guess you meant eternity? Whatever words are used, I still believe an infinitely long human existence, in any form whatsoever, is not possible.

warbey
27-12-2012, 20:19
Sorry to take so long to see that and to comment... however,

Eternal is an adjective ... I guess you meant eternity? Whatever words are used, I still believe an infinitely long human existence, in any form whatsoever, is not possible.

Human existence is only for the period of a lifetime.

We then revert to Spirit, which is released from the Body at the Point of Death.

That though is only of comfort to Those who believe in Life after Death.

Quite a few obviously do not...

tonythorne
29-12-2012, 11:09
Human existence is only for the period of a lifetime.

We then revert to Spirit, which is released from the Body at the Point of Death.

That though is only of comfort to Those who believe in Life after Death.

Quite a few obviously do not...

Yes, and our numbers are growing. Having had a scientific education and working for quite a while with computers, I am convinced that our bodies are hardware. Our brain is a very powerful CPU and our self, awareness, spirit (or whatever you want to call it) is a very advanced software program.

The kind known as program generators, which are self-evolving. Before I retired, I worked on the development of them for business applications. Programs that can learn and then improve themselves. The kind that we now put into robots, to give them AI (artificial intelligence), which one day (if not already)will be smarter than we are.

So, I agree that human existence is only for our lifetime..! But our DNA continues..!

warbey
29-12-2012, 21:39

I agree with Your theory.

Robots are a sort of Paralell existence to the Human.

Both wear out and expire, but the Origin is more complicated.

I believe there are more discoveries yet to be made, Radio Telephones and Electricity haven't been around that long for example.

As I am convinced We have two Worlds overlapping here, all I can do is go with My Personal Flow.

marbro8
29-12-2012, 22:29
well i have read all the thread and before i had a personal experience with a medium(not paid) i used to believe that we where visited from another planet by other beings after reading a book when i was younger called chariots of the gods, which told story's of cave paintings going back thousands of years depicting beings with bowls on their heads(space helmets?) and that the ape like creatures on earth where artificially inseminated by these super beings resulting in the race that we are today? it was even suggested that the star of bethlehem was in fact a space ship following mary and joseph because as the bible says it was an immaculate conception because they hadn't actually had sex? so the pregnancy was actually instigated by these beings after abducting mary and artificially inseminating her? it is all mind blowing stuff and i don't think we will ever know the truth unless one or the other theory is proved??? ps if you believe in that theory then we look like an experiment that has gone wrong:(

CaribeCelt
29-12-2012, 23:30
it is all mind blowing stuff and i don't think we will ever know the truth unless one or the other theory is proved??? ps if you believe in that theory then we look like an experiment that has gone wrong:(

If you believe a theory needs to be explained then your part of the conspiracy...boooo

Norm de Plume
30-12-2012, 13:38
"Faith is the illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable." (Mencken)
"God" is unexplained (or misunderstood) science.

warbey
30-12-2012, 21:44
[QUOTE=marbro8;249125]well i have read all the thread and before i had a personal experience with a medium(not paid) i used to believe that we where visited from another planet by other beings after reading a book when i was younger called chariots of the gods, which told story's of cave paintings going back thousands of years depicting beings with bowls on their heads(space helmets?) and that the ape like creatures on earth where artificially inseminated by these super beings resulting in the race that we are today? it was even suggested that the star of bethlehem was in fact a space ship following mary and joseph because as the bible says it was an immaculate conception because they hadn't actually had sex? so the pregnancy was actually instigated by these beings after abducting mary and artificially inseminating her? it is all mind blowing stuff and i don't think we will ever know the truth unless one or the other theory is proved??? ps if you believe in that theory then we look like an experiment that has gone wrong:([/QUOTE

The last Line of the Post said "We leave our d.n.a." He's right.. Improbable or not.