PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden Advice needed about watering fruit trees in Tenerife

Jif100
19-12-2012, 11:55
I am getting loads of different opinions on watering fruit trees in winter. We are 550m above sea level with Lemons, Oranges, Avacado and Nispero. How often do we water them at this time of year and how much should we give them? Also, can any one recommend a good nursery towards the north of the islands for more fruit trees? .We want to add decent sized apples, plums and cherries to our plot.

honda
19-12-2012, 12:25
We have fruit trees which are in pots and water every other day. If trees are well established and in the ground I would only water once a week. Lemons and oranges need water to produce juice, but remember too much is no good for them and with due and cooler weather the trees should be ok until the weather warms up.

warbey
19-12-2012, 20:03
I believe this will to an extent be dependant on Your whereabouts.

Wetter in the North and also Location, micro climate etc.

I should be inclined to enquire Locally for the best experience, if that is available.

There are Northern Members anyhow, who should have some idea,

which wouls. I suspect, agree with the Previous Posts.

Javi
19-12-2012, 20:17
I am getting loads of different opinions on watering fruit trees in winter. We are 550m above sea level with Lemons, Oranges, Avacado and Nispero. How often do we water them at this time of year and how much should we give them? Also, can any one recommend a good nursery towards the north of the islands for more fruit trees? .We want to add decent sized apples, plums and cherries to our plot.

Ask at the nearest "Oficina de extención Agraria". They give free advice on this topic. As first step, I'd recommend you to take the Warbey's suggestion.

My father has the same sort of trees in the South (500 m above sea level). He irrigates them once every 15 days. You must bear in mind the existing differences between every microclime. By the way, it's a bit high for Aguacates (avocado) as they usually are planted near the coast.

Regards.

cainaries
19-12-2012, 20:51

I am only going to reinforce the advice already given. We are about 450 metres above sea level in La Palma which is a bit like the north of Tenerife. Our neighbour advised us years ago to water the fruit trees every 15 days (ditto avocados and mangoes). I asked him about this a few days ago as it has been dry and sunny for about 10 days now and he said the huge amount of rain we had a few weeks ago will be enough for now and to wait and see what happens in the next 15 days. However, if you have seedlings or plantitas in pots etc etc, then they need watering more often.

Very envious of you if you can plant cooking apples!! Still haven't found them here yet.

tracy hampshire
19-12-2012, 21:13
don´t know anything about watering your trees, but there are a couple of big garden centres on the main road between puerto de la cruz & icod de los vinos, that look like they stock quite alot of trees .

cressrt
19-12-2012, 21:26
We have well established trees and some newer ones, do not tend to water much this time of year as only have Orange, Lemon and Satsumas in fruit, the Lemons fruit all year. We are at about 800m and Avocados grow very well we have 2 trees.
Also have Pears - 3 types, Apricots - 3 types, Apples, Almonds, Walnuts, Nispero, Peach, Mulberry, Nectarine, Figs and a Guava! We have recently planted another apple and 2 cherries, but these were small trees, not sure where you can get mature trees from.
We water more in spring and summer, weekly or more depending upon what rain we have had and how the trees look.

warbey
20-12-2012, 20:59

I bet there are times of the Year when Blossom is magnificent around Your Casa.

cainaries
20-12-2012, 21:52
Before I lived here I had never realised that the trees fruit and blossom at the same time! Some of our trees are in blossom now, wonderful smell of orange blossom in the garden.