PDA

View Full Version : Health Where can I get a rabies injection in Tenerife?

balababe
24-12-2012, 22:52
We are going to Sri Lanka and our doctor in the UK is insisting on us having the rabies vaccine. However, with the schedule of three injections on days 0, 7 and 28, we will have to have one injection in Tenerife. We will bring the vaccine out with us, but does anyone know where we can have the injection (intramuscular I think) done?
Thank you.

marbro8
24-12-2012, 23:20
We are going to Sri Lanka and our doctor in the UK is insisting on us having the rabies vaccine. However, with the schedule of three injections on days 0, 7 and 28, we will have to have one injection in Tenerife. We will bring the vaccine out with us, but does anyone know where we can have the injection (intramuscular I think) done?
Thank you. i would say that the british doctor under the arona gran would do it in los cris ? i think it is doctor karen whitacker? and i would think it would cost about 50 euros?

balababe
26-12-2012, 13:40
Thanks, marbro8. That is another £100 on top of the £300 I have to pay in the UK!!!! Makes it an expensive holiday. Does anyone know whether we could get the injection done at the Green Hospital with our E111s?

Lily3
27-12-2012, 12:31
- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

What a load of Bull.
We have lived and worked in Sri Lanka for 18 months and never once advised to have the Rabies injection. We have visited many times since and never had the Malareia one either.
The only injection we have had are the standard travel ones.
Someone is trying to make some easy cash

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I have just been on the web regarding injections and found the following. Sorry for my mis- information.

Summary of recommendations:
All travelers should visit either their personal physician or a travel health clinic 4-8 weeks before departure.
Malaria:Â Prophylaxis with Lariam (mefloquine), Malarone (atovaquone/proguanil), or doxycycline is recommended for all areas except the districts of Colombo, Kalutara, Galle, and Nuwara Eliya.
Vaccinations:
Hepatitis A Recommended for all travelers
Typhoid Recommended for all travelers
Polio One-time booster recommended for any adult traveler who completed the childhood series but never had polio vaccine as an adult
Yellow fever Required for all travelers greater than one year of age arriving from a yellow-fever-infected area in Africa or the Americas. Not recommended otherwise.
Japanese encephalitis For travelers who may spend a month or more in rural areas and for short-term travelers who may spend substantial time outdoors in rural areas, especially after dusk
Hepatitis B Recommended for all travelers
Rabies For travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, or at high risk for animal bites, or involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) Two doses recommended for all travelers born after 1956, if not previously given
Tetanus-diphtheria Revaccination recommended every 10 years