PDA

View Full Version : What are your New Year's resolutions?

Fivepence
26-12-2012, 15:22
Anyone thinking of making a New Year resolution?

I'm going to get more exercise, in the form of a daily walk even if the weather is wet most of the time.
Oh and a visit to the Reef is on the cards this year.

All the best.

:tiphat:

KirstyJay
26-12-2012, 16:52
I haven't really got anything to give up... I gave up smoking a few years ago now, and I already exercise daily. I only drink at weekends... What's left? Cakes and chocolate? You can bugger off then...! :D

In fact, maybe I should start getting some new vices so that I've got something to give up next year... :whistle:

Santiago
26-12-2012, 17:31
I must definitely get more exercise and I intend to lose all the weight I put on by not smoking for the last two years. Not quite sure how I will manage this, but will start a graph and weigh myself each morning and (hopefully) watch the line on the graph go down!!

warbey
26-12-2012, 19:09

I only make one Resolution,

Not to make any.!!!! :lol::lol::lol::D

chifleta
26-12-2012, 19:16
I never make New Year resolutions, and i'm a bit like KirstyJay, I gave up smoking, i've been on an eating and exercise regime for 3 years so far, gave up drinking heavily 20 years ago, only drink once every few months nowadays - and if I have to give up chocolate, I might as well jump off my balcony right this minute :D

I must definitely get more exercise and I intend to lose all the weight I put on by not smoking for the last two years. Not quite sure how I will manage this, but will start a graph and weigh myself each morning and (hopefully) watch the line on the graph go down!!

weigh yourself once a week, and measure your arm, gut, hips, thigh once every 4 weeks, otherwise you'll get despondant LOL

melm
26-12-2012, 19:32

I only make one Resolution,

Not to make any.!!!! :lol::lol::lol::D

me too.........the best intentions and all that:wink2::wink2::wink2:

Fivepence
26-12-2012, 20:06
I never make New Year resolutions, and i'm a bit like KirstyJay, I gave up smoking, i've been on an eating and exercise regime for 3 years so far, gave up drinking heavily 20 years ago, only drink once every few months nowadays - and if I have to give up chocolate, I might as well jump off my balcony right this minute :D

weigh yourself once a week, and measure your arm, gut, hips, thigh once every 4 weeks, otherwise you'll get despondant LOL

Smaller plates help.............or so I'm told! :whistle:

KirstyJay
26-12-2012, 21:41
I must definitely get more exercise and I intend to lose all the weight I put on by not smoking for the last two years. Not quite sure how I will manage this, but will start a graph and weigh myself each morning and (hopefully) watch the line on the graph go down!!Don't!!! Once a week is more positive.

weigh yourself once a week, and measure your arm, gut, hips, thigh once every 4 weeks, otherwise you'll get despondant LOLGreat minds... etc etc :D

cainaries
26-12-2012, 22:56
As soon as I saw Santiago's post I was screaming at the computer. Trust us, Santiago, KJ, Chifleta and me. ONLY weigh yourself once a week. Perlease? Promise?

My New Year's Resolution is to be more punctual. Yet again today I was leaving the house at the time I was supposed to be at the DESTINATION! It's a really bad habit of mine. Fortunately, today, it was only 10 minutes' drive away. But yesterday it was 30 minutes' drive away and it is so rude to be late. I drive myself mad with it.

Santiago
26-12-2012, 23:17
No, it has to be daily because some days you are heavier than others and you weight can fluctuate as much as four or five pounds. Thus, if you do it daily, although it will go up some days, it will also go down some days, but the general trend will be downwards.

Incidentally, my sister-in-law went to Slimmer's World and has lost 7.5 stone!!!!! I can't stick to regimes like that so I use the tried and tested method - eat less and exercise more. It works every time!

cainaries
26-12-2012, 23:28
No, it has to be daily because some days you are heavier than others and you weight can fluctuate as much as four or five pounds. Thus, if you do it daily, although it will go up some days, it will also go down some days, but the general trend will be downwards.

Incidentally, my sister-in-law went to Slimmer's World and has lost 7.5 stone!!!!! I can't stick to regimes like that so I use the tried and tested method - eat less and exercise more. It works every time!

We'll have to agree to differ then! Trouble with diets is they work the first time but not so well after that. Good luck with it.

9PLUS
26-12-2012, 23:44
**** more....

chifleta
26-12-2012, 23:53
As soon as I saw Santiago's post I was screaming at the computer. Trust us, Santiago, KJ, Chifleta and me. ONLY weigh yourself once a week. Perlease? Promise?

My New Year's Resolution is to be more punctual. Yet again today I was leaving the house at the time I was supposed to be at the DESTINATION! It's a really bad habit of mine. Fortunately, today, it was only 10 minutes' drive away. But yesterday it was 30 minutes' drive away and it is so rude to be late. I drive myself mad with it.

ahhhh you've gotten the old "Canarian punctuality" habit instead of "punctualidad Britanica" hahahaha

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Have a giggle at some of my waffling (probably how I earned the Mega Tenerifian title LOL) http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?20446-Lifetime-eating-regime-%28yup-a-permanent-diet%29 - and no, I haven't lost the last bit yet, and only at this stage to I weigh myself daily, so I know what you mean about big fluctuations, i'm the fluctuation queen (no, that's not spelt flatulation) :)

**** more....

is there a prize for the correct answer? :lol:

henry
27-12-2012, 02:55
for me i allways ask for the same , try to have friends who wanna play video games , go bowling , and i know i wont get this but try to get a girlfriend or a female friend who wanna do fun stuff like bowling or such.... but i gave up looking years ago.... that my new year and lose some weight. i'm allready pushing 235 pounds, 97 kilos

for me i allways ask for the same , try to have friends who wanna play video games , go bowling , and i know i wont get this but try to get a girlfriend or a female friend who wanna do fun stuff like bowling or such.... but i gave up looking years ago.... that my new year and lose some weight. i'm allready pushing 235 pounds, 97 kilos

Fivepence
27-12-2012, 03:48

16+ stone, your a big boy Henry, no wonder we're all scared of the Ice Bats.

Joking, the main thing is to be happy' we can't all be tiddlers.

:bottomline:window:

Malteser Monkey
27-12-2012, 17:43

It's only my belly - the rest of me is purrrfect:D

Smaller plates help.............or so I'm told! :whistle:

what on earth do the size of your feet 'av to do with things ? so you take more steps ?:D

**** more....

ahhh TYPE more - yes good idea 9plus:whistle:

marbro8
27-12-2012, 17:59
Smaller plates help.............or so I'm told! :whistle:i would give the roast house a miss then:laugh:

i would give the roast house a miss then:laugh:
i don't bother with new year resolutions because i do all the dieting, exercise and everything all year anyway:( and i weigh myself every day, and your weight can vary so much because i had put on 5lb after xmas day so i refused to eat anything boxing day:lol:

hackney58
27-12-2012, 19:09
Being over generous. My problem is generosity, if i am not getting the drinks in for the lads it's buying the wife presents.
only last week i brought her a washing machine, Comet 40% off. it wasn't her fault the twin tub broke.
even if i had pointed out to her she was over filling it. but hey it's Christmas so i forgave her.

marbro8
27-12-2012, 19:34
Being over generous. My problem is generosity, if i am not getting the drinks in for the lads it's buying the wife presents.
only last week i brought her a washing machine, Comet 40% off. it wasn't her fault the twin tub broke.
even if i had pointed out to her she was over filling it. but hey it's Christmas so i forgave her.you are the same as me mate, i am always the first up the bar and last, i struggled to buy my wife something for xmas because i had brought her so much during the year:lol: but i wouldn't change the way i am;)

hackney58
27-12-2012, 20:23
you are the same as me mate, i am always the first up the bar and last, i struggled to buy my wife something for xmas because i had brought her so much during the year:lol: but i wouldn't change the way i am;)

Yes we are just to good, but do they appreciate us? the more we give the more they take us for granted.
Still that's one of the drawbacks of being perfect.

warbey
27-12-2012, 20:32

Very suggestive that 9plus. Adds Flavour to the Thread.

If You weigh Yourself after Morning Ablutions, before eating or drinking, I believe that's as accurate as You can be..

Weighing after Christmas dinner and Pud, when You can't see the Plates will add 5 to 8 Pounds easily..

Once weekly at that time of Day is good for Me, because losing weight should be steady, not a Sprint

then Eat it back on.

blueeyes
27-12-2012, 20:39
Well after my long and pensive thought about New Years Resolution i've decided to get fatter, lazier which results in being happier as i won't be slagging myself off for the wrong reasons... :lol:

canarybird
27-12-2012, 21:21
I hope to take up Sevillanas dancing classes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevillanas) again since they're starting up in January at the place where I go for Pilates. Don't know if I can move as quickly as before (and I wasn't that good at it) as I just realized the last lessons were held 6 years ago. Yikes, I hope I can still remember the steps. It's fun and very good exercise and I still have the flamenco shoes and long black skirt. If anyone else in the north wants to join in the class, PM me and I'll tell you about it.
There's lots of videos on You Tube too that are a good help.

I like this one which clearly shows how to do the hand and arm movements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYgehFfiBM

Canarybird

Ecky Thump
27-12-2012, 21:29
Not to read the "Illegal Letting" thread, also to keep in touch with my "Friends or Family" who own a apartment in Tenerife!!;)

Ecky Thump
30-12-2012, 19:00
you are the same as me mate, i am always the first up the bar and last but i wouldn't change the way i am;)

That's what we all say when we are with you.. There he is, at the bar, AT LAST!! :cheeky:

marbro8
30-12-2012, 19:12
That's what we all say when we are with you.. There he is, at the bar, AT LAST!! :cheeky:in the words of max and paddy "how very dare you":lol::D

henry
30-12-2012, 20:25
my new years is hoping that every member buy me lunch!!! lol

Fivepence
30-12-2012, 20:59
my new years is hoping that every member buy me lunch!!! lol

Have a rethink Henry, in a recent post you told us that you were not exactly a small bloke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

marbro8
30-12-2012, 21:02
Have a rethink Henry, in a recent post you told us that you were not exactly a small bloke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:that's because last year every member brought him lunch:crylaughing::D

Debbie_22
31-12-2012, 13:44
This year, I WILL finally to stop biting my nails and have a really nice manicure.

marbro8
31-12-2012, 14:18
This year, I WILL finally to stop biting my nails and have a really nice manicure.the best way to stop is have a little bet with your partner. if he/she? stops or gives something up then you stop biting your nails, it worked for us i said i would stop smoking when i went out drinking with my mates if my wife stopped biting her nails, and the little git stuck to it :angry: mind you she now has lovely nails and i am healthier;)

Suej
31-12-2012, 16:32
I'm going to try the electronic ciggies! in a quest to pack up smoking!:smoking: A bit half hearted I know but worth a try! Maybe I should take up...:knitting: if I knew how!

honda
31-12-2012, 18:19
Fags and booze, as always :smoking: & :trink:

cainaries
01-01-2013, 00:08
I'm going to try the electronic ciggies! in a quest to pack up smoking!:smoking: A bit half hearted I know but worth a try! Maybe I should take up...:knitting: if I knew how!
Knitting is about the only handicrafty type thing I mastered, Suej, but it is perfectly possible to knit and smoke at the same time, I promise. Your post reminded me of my granny who was hypnotised into giving up smoking but they simply transferred her addiction to Rowntrees fruit gums which my gramps had to buy by the carton .. as in cartons of cartons. Then, of course, all her teeth fell out.

Santiago
01-01-2013, 23:04
Biggest problem with giving up smoking, Suej, is the amount of weight you put on. According to my doc the nicotine speeds up your metabalism so when you give up you put on weight! Mind you, my doc looks about 16 years old and his biggest vice is surfing so I'm not sure how much faith I should put in his advice!! I've told him, "What do you want to treat me for? Lung disease or obesity?

cainaries
02-01-2013, 11:12
Biggest problem with giving up smoking, Suej, is the amount of weight you put on. According to my doc the nicotine speeds up your metabalism so when you give up you put on weight! Mind you, my doc looks about 16 years old and his biggest vice is surfing so I'm not sure how much faith I should put in his advice!! I've told him, "What do you want to treat me for? Lung disease or obesity?

So true. Then there is the double-edged sword which is that smoking is also bad for your teeth but once you give up you will probably eat more sweets! So the dentist doesn't really know which to advise either.

Suej
02-01-2013, 11:36

Oi! You're supposed to encourage me Santi!:lol: I did once stop for 3 years! Gawd knows how I started again! I weigh 50 kilos and am 5ft.4ins so I think I could manage a bit more weight! (it might fill out my wrinkles) I think I put on about half a stone when I last stopped and Yes it was sweets and snacking that did it! Instead of reaching for the ciggie packet I'd have my nose in the Food cupboard or fridge! Well I'm going to give the electronic cigs a go! Wish me luck!:ashamed:

Debbie_22
02-01-2013, 20:50
Nicotine does increase supresses the appetite as well as increasing your basal metabolic rate ( how many calories you burn without actually doing anything.) This is not by a hugely large amount for the average 10 - 20cigarettes-a-day person; although the higher the cigarette intake the higher things increase and the harder it is to reverse once you give up smoking. I guess this is why some people cut down bit by bit to gradually allow the body to get back to normal, unlike those who go cold turkey and suddenly crave food as the appetite supressors are no longer in place and it is a shock to the system.
Obviously most people crave sugary / 'bad' food, although it is possible not to gain weight when you quit just by snacking on raw veg / fruit etc. Others find sugar free chewing gum is a very good alternative too as this helps supress the appetite, although not to the same level (easier said than done i guess! )
Anyway good luck, and I am on day 3 of not biting my nails!!! yay.

cainaries
02-01-2013, 22:34
Well done Debbie_22! I went out to meet friends yesterday and was only 5 minutes late instead of 30 minutes late so that was progress. Suej, it is actually 2nd January so you shouldn't have had a ciggie for 2 days already! Hmmm? Good luck with it hun. Does your OH smoke? I think this makes quite a difference. I probably passively smoke about 20 a day!

Suej
02-01-2013, 23:12
Well done Debbie_22! I went out to meet friends yesterday and was only 5 minutes late instead of 30 minutes late so that was progress. Suej, it is actually 2nd January so you shouldn't have had a ciggie for 2 days already! Hmmm? Good luck with it hun. Does your OH smoke? I think this makes quite a difference. I probably passively smoke about 20 a day!

I went to pick up my starter pack from the Chemist today but the lady said because they were closed on the 1st that the order was not in so it will be tomorrow now! I promise to try and quit one at a time! Yes OH does smoke C and has no intention of packing it up! :(

cainaries
03-01-2013, 23:05
I went to pick up my starter pack from the Chemist today but the lady said because they were closed on the 1st that the order was not in so it will be tomorrow now! I promise to try and quit one at a time! Yes OH does smoke C and has no intention of packing it up! :(

They are Bstrds sometimes, aren't they? Wish you all the luck with it, Suej. Hope you didn't read the articles in today's Times about how all that happens is you become addicted to sugar instead and gain zillions of pounds. They weren't giving out free t-shirts but they should have been...oh, yes, tell me something I don't know. Pass the chocolate turron, would you?

And still arrived late today meeting friends. I can tell the time so why am I always late? GRRRR.

KirstyJay
04-01-2013, 01:48
SueJ you said in a previous post that you had given up for three years in the past.You know how to stop so you have to learn to carry on stopping....if you know what I mean!

TheBloke posting on the wrong comp!

Santiago
04-01-2013, 08:53
Suej, I only stopped this time because I had the flu so I had no withdrawal symptoms and I just didn't start again. I'm not eating any more than I was before and I don't snack between meals, but I understand that I have to cut my intake to make up for the lack of nicotine.
It's not easy but over here the financial benefit is very rewarding when you consider I smoked 40+ a day at nearly £7 a packet! Maybe you should come over here for a month?

Malteser Monkey
04-01-2013, 10:26
Suej, I only stopped this time because I had the flu so I had no withdrawal symptoms and I just didn't start again. I'm not eating any more than I was before and I don't snack between meals, but I understand that I have to cut my intake to make up for the lack of nicotine.
It's not easy but over here the financial benefit is very rewarding when you consider I smoked 40+ a day at nearly £7 a packet! Maybe you should come over here for a month?

Oooo yes come over we can all meet up at santi's !

C why don't you put all your clocks forward by ten minutes (presuming you are no later than ten minutes or there's just no helping you !)

Now don't take this the wrong way or it may just give you a wake up call - i had a friend who was always late to meet me - we don't meet anymore - I used to feel like I wasn't important enough to be met on time like my life wasn't as important as hers so hasta luego to that !

So C if you are coming to santi's I suggest you get a flight a day earlier than Sue J :D

Suej
04-01-2013, 13:46
SueJ you said in a previous post that you had given up for three years in the past.You know how to stop so you have to learn to carry on stopping....if you know what I mean!

TheBloke posting on the wrong comp!

OH carried on smoking and I just got a whiff of a ciggi he had left in the ashtray! for some insane reason I took a puff! it then went on to having a ciggi just on a Friday evening (Take away night) from there I was then on the rocky road downhill! I'll be honest I don't really want to give up but am determined to make an effort and at least try! :)

They are Bstrds sometimes, aren't they? Wish you all the luck with it, Suej. Hope you didn't read the articles in today's Times about how all that happens is you become addicted to sugar instead and gain zillions of pounds. They weren't giving out free t-shirts but they should have been...oh, yes, tell me something I don't know. Pass the chocolate turron, would you?

And still arrived late today meeting friends. I can tell the time so why am I always late? GRRRR.

I don't have a particularly sweet tooth C! and as I said putting on some weight for me would probably be a good thing!

MM is right put your clocks ahead! It really does help! I am normally punctual for appointments but had terrible trouble getting up in the morning! so put my alarm clock on half an hour by the time my brain tried working out what time it really was I was awake and up! :wink2: