PDA

View Full Version : Other British man aged 50, Peter Henley, went missing from Puerto De La Cruz. 12th Dec 2012

Terry Cleaver
27-12-2012, 14:09
My uncle Peter Henley (from Dover, U.K) went on holiday on the 6th December 2012 to Tenerife. He arrived in Tenerife and stayed at the first hotel and left booked out of there on the 9th December.
He was due to stay at the LUABAY HOTEL, PUERTO DE LA CRUZ from the 9th to 15th December. He booked in there but went missing from there around 12/13th December 2012.

We were informed by his work colleagues at SAGA in Folkestone, England; when he went missing as he had not returned home or gone to work that day. He was due to return to the UK on the 18th December. The LUABAY HOTEL in PUERTO DE LA CRUZ has found his bag with his medication in as he is diabetic in the hotel room but could not contact us due to my uncle having his passport on him and having no details in his belongings.

We have phone the third hotel he was due to stay at and he never turned up there or cancelled the booking. The Spanish police are involved and circulating his details and photos on the island to try to find him. A picture is also attached.

We have also set up a Facebook page to try and find him: https://www.facebook.com/MissingBritishManAged50InTenerife

PLEASE phone 101 IF Seen and ask for KENT POLICE (ENGLAND) and contact the police in Tenerife.

Thank you for your help.428842894290

chocaholic
27-12-2012, 14:48
Hi, I hope you find him soon. Have you contacted the Consultate over here as I am sure they would help you

Terry Cleaver
27-12-2012, 14:57
Hello Chocaholic,

Do you have a contact for the Consulate so we can contact them to see if they can help?

Thank you for your help.

Terry

Fivepence
27-12-2012, 15:05
Hello Chocaholic,

Do you have a contact for the Consulate so we can contact them to see if they can help?

Thank you for your help.

Terry

Here is the info ..........click this link (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/find-an-embassy/europe/consulate-santa-cruz-de-tenerife)

Good luck, I hope he turns up safe and sound.

melm
27-12-2012, 16:29
Really hope you find him soon. I know its a bit away and i hope he has been found by then but we will be in Puerto from Monday 31st and if we can be of any help please get in touch.

good luck

rosemary
27-12-2012, 18:58
Can you give us some idea of his state of mind at the time he disappeared? was he depressed? is he prone to independant action? Were you a close family, should he have contacted you?

I live in the south but we'll keep our eyes open. I do like the look of him. nice man.

melm
28-12-2012, 12:30
My uncle Peter Henley (from Dover, U.K) went on holiday on the 6th December 2012 to Tenerife. He arrived in Tenerife and stayed at the first hotel and left booked out of there on the 9th December.
He was due to stay at the LUABAY HOTEL, PUERTO DE LA CRUZ from the 9th to 15th December. He booked in there but went missing from there around 12/13th December 2012.

We were informed by his work colleagues at SAGA in Folkestone, England; when he went missing as he had not returned home or gone to work that day. He was due to return to the UK on the 18th December. The LUABAY HOTEL in PUERTO DE LA CRUZ has found his bag with his medication in as he is diabetic in the hotel room but could not contact us due to my uncle having his passport on him and having no details in his belongings.

We have phone the third hotel he was due to stay at and he never turned up there or cancelled the booking. The Spanish police are involved and circulating his details and photos on the island to try to find him. A picture is also attached.

We have also set up a Facebook page to try and find him: https://www.facebook.com/MissingBritishManAged50InTenerife

PLEASE phone 101 IF Seen and ask for KENT POLICE (ENGLAND) and contact the police in Tenerife.

I have put this link on my facebook page..the more coverage the better. hope he is found soon.

Megaloo
28-12-2012, 12:54
I also put this link on my face book page.

delderek
28-12-2012, 15:43
According to the UK BBC Southern News, It was a Hotel in Costa Del Silencio, that he never arrived at.

KirstyJay
28-12-2012, 16:49
I will stick this thread so it stays prominent on the forum. Good luck finding him. :)

From the photos, he looks an active man. Is there any chance he could have gone out walking and got into trouble? Have the police checked all the popular walking routes, such as Masca, or some in the North? Did he have a rental car?

slodgedad
28-12-2012, 16:55
It was mentioned on the local radio news, here in Tenerife (Coast FM) today so word is getting about.

Ricksterm
28-12-2012, 18:23
Hello everyone, thank you for your thoughts and kind words.

I am his other nephew (Terry is my cousin).

Peter was in good spirits before he left on this holiday and was looking forward to spending Christmas with myself and my mum. I was supposed to be on this holiday also but I couldn't make the trip.

He's never had any history of depression or anything like that.

It is entirely possible that he could have gone out walking and got into difficulty due to his diabetes. The police know he is a keen walker and sightseer, I know that the park rangers have been told to look out for him. It's an odd one though because I am sure that he wouldn't have gone off any walking paths that he could have been walking on as to not to have been seen by now by another walker. Nothing adds up at all that is for sure but hopefully this current media attention will aid the authorities (and us) in locating him.

Thank you,

Rick

melm
28-12-2012, 18:28
what a worry for you and your family..you are in my thoughts.

fingers crossed for a happy ending to this mystery.

Tenerife Sun
29-12-2012, 00:23
I live in Puerto de la Cruz and I have added the link to my facebook page

rosemary
29-12-2012, 11:00
So just so we get this clear. His hotel bill would have been settled or was paid in advance? But why does a man leave his daily meds behind and yet take his passport with him unless of course he always did this for security reasons. No history of depression. Was he a single man, not in a relationship? Could he have been meeting someone? Something he didn't particularly want the family to know about? Having said all of that it's the meds that concern me most. often it's the simplest of all explanations.

honda
29-12-2012, 11:09
Hope all works out ok.

Terry Cleaver
30-12-2012, 13:17
Thank you for all your help guys. Sadly we still haven't found him.
In answer to your questions:
I am his nephew and yes we are a very close family, we live in the same town and I regularly go on holiday with him. At the time of his holiday he was not depressed in anyway and was looking forward to spending Christmas with everyone.

He is very interested in walking and regularly would go on independent day trips and walking on the hills, we hope he hasn't been hurt whilst walking on the island, as he also has diabetes and going without his insulin for a long time would not be good at all. Yes he would have contacted us if he had problems, however normally when he goes away he doesn't contact us until he is at home, he is very independent like that and is a well travelled person.

Thank you all for keeping your eyes open for him even if you are in another part of the island, it will be a great help to find him.
He didn't have a rental car as he does not drive but yes he does love walking, KirstyJay thanks for the suggestion for checking them, we'll see if the police have checked those.

KWA Walking Group in Tenerife has put posters out on the bus stations and near to the walking groups, I am going to ask them about the Masca route and the other ones as he may have gone along on one of those routes as he loves walking. Will also see if the police have checked those.

Thank you so much for your help everyone, and sharing the details on Facebook. We all hope he is found soon, thank you so much for all your help.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you Ricky for your answer to (only just seen that).

No our uncle was single. His hotel bills were all settled before going out there as we have found the invoices at his home so he had planned to stay at those hotels mentioned and stayed at 2 before going missing at the second one. He was due to go to the third one but sadly never turned up. With regards to his passport when I have gone away before we have needed ID for day trips so he could have taken it for that, he is also interested in property and may have taken it with him as ID for looking at properties.

Thanks again for all your help.

ribuck
30-12-2012, 17:02
Terry and Rick,

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle going missing.

You say he is a keen walker, and Tenerife is a fantastic destination for walking. I'm also in my 50s, and I frequently go walking alone in the Tenerife mountains. I wouldn't stop mountain walking for anything, but it's always a sobering thought that if I fell no-one would know where I was and it might take a long time for people to find me.

So I really hope your uncle hasn't had a fall. There are many walking areas where there is a small but ever-present risk of rocks becoming dislodged.

It's great that posters have been put up at the bus stations. Other walkers will then know to look out for any trace of your uncle when they go on their walks. As he was staying in Puerto de la Cruz at the time, do make sure every stand at the bus station has a poster. I would do this for you, but I'm back in the UK just now.

Good luck!

Susief
01-01-2013, 10:13
Sad news on BBC this morning. Peter's body has been found.
RIP Peter. Condolences to his family & friends.
Was really hoping that he would turn up alive and well.

Megaloo
01-01-2013, 10:25
Sad news on BBC this morning. Peter's body has been found.
RIP Peter. Condolences to his family & friends.
Was really hoping that he would turn up alive and well.

RIP Peter So sorry to hear the sad news

Fivepence
01-01-2013, 11:06
The worst outcome, very sad ...RIP.

AL JAY
01-01-2013, 11:11
Very sad news, Sincere condolences to his family...RIP Peter

Tenerife Sun
01-01-2013, 11:14
So sad, my thoughts are with his family

imablue
01-01-2013, 11:36
Very sad news ..what an awful start to the year for his family..RIP

macdonald5
01-01-2013, 11:47
Very sorry to hear dreadful outcome,thinking of his family at this sad time RIP Peter

Carlos
01-01-2013, 12:40
Poor man, looked the most likely outcome after so long. This in paper yesterday:

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/38612/daily-news-article.html

fesdie
01-01-2013, 12:51
So sorry to hear this news. Our thoughts are with his family.

KirstyJay
01-01-2013, 15:05
Condolences to the family. :( They must be devastated. I'm sure if they need any help with paperwork or repatriation, we have forum members that would provide help and advice, as the last thing they really want to be thinking about at such a sad time is logistics.

RIP Mr Henley.

chifleta
01-01-2013, 15:23
Condolences to the family. :( They must be devastated. I'm sure if they need any help with paperwork or repatriation, we have forum members that would provide help and advice, as the last thing they really want to be thinking about at such a sad time is logistics.

RIP Mr Henley.

I think you posted on the wrong one hun, but totally agree with your words ..

KirstyJay
01-01-2013, 17:41
I think you posted on the wrong one hun, but totally agree with your words ..Thanks for letting me know. I had several tabs open. Must have posted in the wrong one. Moved to the correct thread now. :)

warbey
01-01-2013, 19:48
Commiserations to the Family. He will obviously be missed.!

lesbroz
01-01-2013, 23:53
So sorry to hear this sad news.

Suej
02-01-2013, 11:41
I avoided posting on this thread when this poor gentleman went missing as I thought the family would be checking constantly on here for posts with maybe some fresh information! I am so sorry to hear of the outcome! it's a tragedy! My condolences to the family!

melm
02-01-2013, 18:26
so so sad thinking of his family at this time.

carpdaught1
02-01-2013, 21:34
So sorry to hear your news our thoughts and prayers are with youn

Terry Cleaver
03-01-2013, 12:36
Sorry I haven't been able to post on here or even go online due to the recent news we have had. Sadly the body found was indeed my uncle Peter. It appears he was on his way back to the Hotel at Puerto De La Cruz and had an accident on the way. We are all extremely devastated, as we were hoping for a much better outcome.

Myself and my family would like to thank you all for your continued help during the time of him being missing. You have all been extremely helpful and we are eternally grateful for all your support. Thank you also for your kind words of sympathy and condolences. He will be much missed by his family and friends alike.
Thank you all once again for your support, and sorry it has taken us so long to confirm the news.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you also to Jan Ramos, the Spanish police and his work colleagues at SAGA for their continued support during this time. We are all extremely grateful for your help and support.

celine
09-01-2013, 19:40
were thinking of you at this sad time, our condolences and prayers are sent to you