PDA

View Full Version : Emergency health care in Southern Tenerife

Jeannie
28-12-2012, 21:18
I am staying for 5 weeks in Costa Adeje from mid January and would like advice about emergency healthcare. My husband has Parkinsons Disease and if, for instance, he fell and broke his leg or I had a severe SVT attack,( which usually I control myself and are not very regular), what would we do? We both have EHICs and private travel insurance. We are staying in a friends place so we would't be able to go for advice to a reception desk in the hotel for instance.

Can anyone advise, please?

garlicbread
29-12-2012, 00:07
I am sorry you have health issues and hope that you have a trouble free stay in Tenerife but can I ask, have you asked your travel insurers for advice? You are covered for EMERGENCY treatment on your EHIC but I assume your travel insurance will cover all other eventualities. There are money making hospitals in both Torviscas and Las Americas that will happily cater for your needs providing you have the means(insurance) to pay.

junglejim
29-12-2012, 03:05
My wife has successfully used her EHIC card at "Green Hospital" for a broken wrist but was put under severe pressure to reveal if she had private insurance (she had it but was adamant she wanted to prove EHIC worked) .
I had to call an ambulance for an elderly owner( but not resident) who took unwell and when we got to Green Hospital, they wanted a deposit up front of €300 via debit card- they then couldn't find her insurance company (RBS) and charged her €1200 per day which she later claimed back from insurer .
The point of post is make sure your insurance is available and be prepared for an up front deposit - the staff at front desk don't like you using EHIC .
You can phone for emergency assistance on 112 - ask for English speaker .
Link here for good advice from Goldenmaniac
http://www.diana-mcglone.com/health.htm#FuneralTenerife

Jeannie
29-12-2012, 11:33
My wife has successfully used her EHIC card at "Green Hospital" for a broken wrist but was put under severe pressure to reveal if she had private insurance (she had it but was adamant she wanted to prove EHIC worked) .
I had to call an ambulance for an elderly owner( but not resident) who took unwell and when we got to Green Hospital, they wanted a deposit up front of €300 via debit card- they then couldn't find her insurance company (RBS) and charged her €1200 per day which she later claimed back from insurer .
The point of post is make sure your insurance is available and be prepared for an up front deposit - the staff at front desk don't like you using EHIC .
You can phone for emergency assistance on 112 - ask for English speaker .
Link here for good advice from Goldenmaniac
http://www.diana-mcglone.com/health.htm#FuneralTenerife

Thank you for your reply. I assume Green hospital is the one near the Police Station between Los Cristianos and Las Americas. I'm hoping I wont need your advice.

Jeannie
29-12-2012, 11:36
Thank you. We do have private insurance. Your link has been very helpful. I intend to print it off and take it with me.

penelope pitstop
29-12-2012, 17:59
I broke my ankle in May in Tenerife & went to the Green Hospital. They wanted €5000 up front & my insurer told me I had gone to the wrong hospital & should have gone to Adeje hospital, which I then did. Can't fault the treatment & the insurance paid for it all, a couple of things I had to claim back for that I paid up front.
Can I suggest you contact your insurers before u leave & ask which hospital u should go to, if you should need treatment?

Jeannie
29-12-2012, 18:27
Thankyou for your kind advice. I will do that.

penelope pitstop
29-12-2012, 19:07
Thankyou for your kind advice. I will do that.

Have a lovely holiday & I hope you don't need any medical treatment.

warbey
29-12-2012, 20:59
I do hope You have informed Your Insurers of Your current Health Status, ailments etc.

Sounds daft, but if not informed of pre-existing conditions, They will refuse cover..

Enjoy Your Holiday..

primrose
29-12-2012, 21:12
Link to Hospital Costa Adeje where many Tourists go for treatment. Just need to check with your Insurance that is one of the Hospitals they use.http://m.webtenerife.co.uk/activities/health-and-wellbeing/medical-tourism/hospital+costa+adeje.htm