PDA

View Full Version : Other My husband's wallet was stolen at Tenerife South Airport

bern
29-12-2012, 20:29
Hi everyone, just to warn fellow travellers to be carefull, my husbands wallet was stolen at the southern airport when we arrived, outside waiting on the bus.

WeeBoabfaeGovan
29-12-2012, 20:38
Sorry to hear that bad news about the wallet i hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday. Robert

bern
29-12-2012, 20:44
Thanks Robert, were home now, best holiday we ever had despite the bad start.

patrica
29-12-2012, 20:47
Glad you had a good time , apart from your wallet getting pinched , people over here our not all bad .

bern
29-12-2012, 20:52
We know that, we love it there. We go maybe three times a year now for the last four years or so, we had a ball!!!! they didn't get much about 150 euro, cancelled bank cards, driving licence etc

essexeddie
01-01-2013, 21:09
You have to have your wits about all the time, probably Romanians

bern
01-01-2013, 23:22
they were two guys, early thirties, rough looking, not Romanians.

Leam_Lin
02-01-2013, 00:45
they were two guys, early thirties, rough looking, not Romanians.

I thought I would be able to say if someone was 'Romanian' not anymore. Some look as british as me not all have olive skin.Its only when they speak you realise.

9PLUS
02-01-2013, 01:09
Not all of them look like Gypos just most

junglejim
02-01-2013, 04:15
I thought I would be able to say if someone was 'Romanian' not anymore. Some look as british as me not all have olive skin.Its only when they speak you realise.
I haven't been to England in over 10 years - do they all look like you ?

Leam_Lin
02-01-2013, 08:48
I haven't been to England in over 10 years - do they all look like you ?

Hi Jim, I wrote British:devil: not English, some do look like you;)

phillip
02-01-2013, 09:40
Not all of them look like Gypos just most

I hope the moderator removes this comment - thieves should not be defined by nationality, nasty pseudonyms or appearance.

Leam_Lin
02-01-2013, 10:00
I hope the moderator removes this comment - thieves should not be defined by nationality, nasty pseudonyms or appearance.

The Romania thieves we caught were very smartly dressed women with males discreetly following them.
The travellers, gypos, tinkers or whatever you would like them to be known as, always stand out a mile when they are in town.

9PLUS
02-01-2013, 10:15

A statement of fact nothing more than that philip.

Romania is a Gypsy state therefore the majority are gypsies.

essexeddie
02-01-2013, 19:13
A lot in the UK are Romanian now or just about every other countryman except English.

sundownersvince
02-01-2013, 20:26
:hat: Hear hear.

jogger321
02-01-2013, 20:32
A lot in the UK are Romanian now or just about every other countryman except English.

If you think there are a lot now wait until January 01 2014

essexeddie
02-01-2013, 20:36
I dont want to think about that.
I'm voting UKIP

warbey
02-01-2013, 21:13

A description of Thieves is helpful, however vague, if it is factual and well intentioned.

Are You on Their side Philip.? Been robbed Yourself ?

Posts like these help Me and Others, whatever You may think. :doh:

sundownersvince
02-01-2013, 21:32
It happened to me only last month 100m from my apartment. The one who was talking to/distracting me I assumed was Spanish but his accomplice who was trying to dive into my fortunately buttoned up pocket certainly wasnt. They got nowt except a torrent of abuse from me but I was lucky. By the way this was about 8pm so they are pretty determined and not just preying on the elderly, women or drunks.

essexeddie
02-01-2013, 21:39
There are some desperate people about, be street wise

warbey
02-01-2013, 21:43
Watching a Police Program This Week, They confiscated from a House They raided, about 11 Tasers, available on the Internet

and Illegal in the U.K.

They looked like Mobile Phones. I would dearly love to carry One (or two) when on Holiday.

The Crime Wave would reduce very quickly..

essexeddie
02-01-2013, 21:46
Or a baseball bat

TF1
03-01-2013, 11:52
Sorry,but this happens all over the world!!!!
Where was the wallet??? In his back pocket???

Thank you for your constructive help.:snore: The thread was only started to warn others about a problem at the airport with pickpockets.

primrose
03-01-2013, 12:02
Sorry,but this happens all over the world!!!!
Where was the wallet??? In his back pocket???

Does it really matter where the wallet was, nobody had any right to take it. Every time somebody posts about pick pockets you get the same reply over and over again telling us it happens all over the world and yes it does but it is happening too often in Tenerife and it really is time the Police did something.How many times have you read on this Forum about people getting their purses stolen in Iceland,pick pockets at the Bus Stations , at the Airport, walking along the front in Los Cristianos or Las Americas stop making excuses we are not the rest of the world.

Balcony
03-01-2013, 12:42
This type of theft is not only opportunistic, but well thought out. Someone to distract, someone to steal and someone to pass the stolen item to. It's opportunistic only in the sense that so many people inadvertently leave themselves open and this is especially so with holiday-makers, who are in a good mood, expectant and not thinking that they could be a victim. It's sunny, so who needs to steal?

Some time back we used to keep pages on our website with details of scams etc., but the sheer no. meant we stopped listing them.

The warning is there that you must constantly be aware that there are people out there ready to literally steal the shirt off your back. So, you must make sure valuables are secure. Don't automatically trust someone who approaches you and seems friendly. Keep a hand on your wallet.

Airports are good for thieves as there can always be a certain level of disorientation and crowding, bags left unattended whilst you turn and do this or that, both hands full. We once had some guy take out a bag from the boot of a taxi. Luckily I had just turned around and saw it.

Bus stops - a lot of shoving gives a thief easy access to back pockets and open bags.

Bars/restaurants - bags/jackets left draped over the back of a chair give a thief a chance.

Drunk? Who would be? Come on it's Tenerife....... We'd all give our daughters a lecture not to get drunk and try to make herown way back to the hotel, but what about a Mum, or Dad? Staggering over the pavement and meet a friendly chap to help keep you steady? It might not just be a pickpocket incident, but don't we get brave when we've had a drink? Just the circumstance where you may end up with more than a lost wallett.

I've seem women in the market, pie-eyed already and openly carrying a lot of cash in their handbag.

Be aware, folks, very aware.

TOTO 99
03-01-2013, 12:50
I have lived here over eight years now and have never had my wallet stolen!!!
WHY!!! Because i make sure it is in a secure pocket.
Tenerife is a safer place to live then England (15 year old boys here do not murder for a mobile phone,etc,etc,etc)
People just need to be on there guard at all times!!!!!!!

Why are you comparing it with the UK?

Read the thread title. The wallet was stolen in Tenerife.......your sympathy for the OP is noted.

Skeggy
03-01-2013, 12:52
I have lived here over eight years now and have never had my wallet stolen!!!
WHY!!! Because i make sure it is in a secure pocket.
Tenerife is a safer place to live then England (15 year old boys here do not murder for a mobile phone,etc,etc,etc)
People just need to be on there guard at all times!!!!!!!

Don't they ? what about the two in Silencio who killed Peter Cockshutt, I am afraid your ideal world is not what you think it is.

Jimmyhow
03-01-2013, 12:52
My brother in law too had his wallet stolen somewhere between Los Cris bus station and TFS airport on his way home in December.

We walked down to the bus station with him to wave them off so we were all laughing and joking and "off our guard". Seemed like there was a very large crowd at the bus stop and a resident friend of mine told me the thieves create a crowd even if there isn't one (very professional) and tend to target the more elderly people (he's 79). He obviously had other things on his mind, flight home, suitcases etc.

Mad panic when we received a phone call from the airport to say he'd been robbed and to try to get credit cards stopped etc. - managed successfully in the end.

Only got about £35 but that's not the point.

You're right to bring this to everyone's attention and the moral of the story is be on your guard AT ALL TIMES.

Skeggy
03-01-2013, 15:01
Read my reply......I said tenerife is" SAFER" then England.
Crime happens all over the place!!!! As Balcony said:::::::::::::: Be aware,be very aware!!!!!!

My response was based on your statement (15 year old boys here do not murder for a mobile phone,etc,etc,etc) unfortunately Tenerife is not immune from this type of crime......

EDGEY72
03-01-2013, 15:14
I have only ever carried a wallet when i'm on holiday anywhere ( not just Tenerife ) once and someone tried to take it. Not sure why i had it with me, probably because it was two lads away arrived on a late flight and eager to get for a pint. I did before and have done since just carry what cash i need and a card holder and always in a front pocket even if i just go shopping into Manchester. Sometimes though you just have to have your wallet/purse with you and it is not easy to stop these people as a lot are organised gangs and have been trained and doing it for years. My heart goes out to anyone who gets robbed by these scum, a lot of them are illegals but not all.
There should be more police around the entrance and exits to airports or even just security guards to move these people they would know who they are if they notice the same people hanging around on a number of days no one flies that often except crew.

YOUNG GOLFER
03-01-2013, 16:51
It's a shame for anyone that gets robbed whilst on holiday here in Tenerife.
Just came back from the UK and it's no different there sad to say my mother in laws next door neighbor got robbed 2 days before Xmas and my friends got robbed 2 weeks before Xmas and took all the presents they have 5 children.
Very sad people who do this to others but I always believe what goes around comes around.

chris
03-01-2013, 17:13
Me and the wife was walking on the footpath outside the old market in Torviscas the other night at midnight when a guy came over and tried to give me a card for a night club I told him we don't do night clubs he the tried to put the card in my pocket so I told him to p*ss off he could see I was annoyed and left me alone I then reached the top of the road when I looked round he was trying it on with a drunken couple and the lady was telling him to F off and hitting him with her handbag. I was also told that it happened last week in the same spot but the guy did get away with a pensioners wallet. So beware if you around the old market late at night.

TOTO 99
03-01-2013, 17:28
Why is it that we can spot these people a mile off and yet they are invisible to the police?..:redcard:

essexeddie
03-01-2013, 17:30
Like I said earlier you have to be street wise, every where. I've been to the West Indies many times and never had any problems. If I dont like the look of an area [and there are many] I dont go down there.
Only take enough money out with you that you think you will need.

primrose
03-01-2013, 17:40
Why is it that we can spot these people a mile off and yet they are invisible to the police?..:redcard:

They are not invisible to the Police but they would need to get off their @rses and do a bit of work to catch them and also it would stop them making their bonuses as while they were catching pick pockets they wouldn't be able to stop motorists and dish out the fines.I wish people would stop comparing Tenerife with what goes on in the UK these crimes are happening here.

macdonald5
03-01-2013, 19:36
Same happened to us the other night near the old Toriviscas market,luckily there were 4 of us and we all told him to B off !! while making sure all our possessions were out of his grubby reach

warbey
03-01-2013, 21:14
So We all have to be careful..

Are there no CCTV Cameras outside the Airport.?

Perhaps They are all busy catching the Dogs of Port Royale.?

marbro8
03-01-2013, 22:17
Same happened to us the other night near the old Toriviscas market,luckily there were 4 of us and we all told him to B off !! while making sure all our possessions were out of his grubby reachis there no such thing as a citizens arrest in tenerife? because if there is then if there is enough of you then just jump on the turd and hold him/her down and phone the police, obviously don't put yourself in any danger but reading some of the statements on here there has been plenty of opportunity to do this:dontknow:

YOUNG GOLFER
03-01-2013, 22:47
is there no such thing as a citizens arrest in tenerife? because if there is then if there is enough of you then just jump on the turd and hold him/her down and phone the police, obviously don't put yourself in any danger but reading some of the statements on here there has been plenty of opportunity to do this:dontknow:

It would be nice if this never happened in Tenerife but it's a fact of life.......I tell lot's of people to be on thier guard and never to carry large amounts of money when out and about......maybe that's what we should all be doing...spread the word tell everyone to be more careful.
Would love to see more bobbies on the beat but extra bobbies cost money and there is not enough of us paying into the system taxes etc to pay for it.

chris
03-01-2013, 22:55
is there no such thing as a citizens arrest in tenerife? because if there is then if there is enough of you then just jump on the turd and hold him/her down and phone the police, obviously don't put yourself in any danger but reading some of the statements on here there has been plenty of opportunity to do this:dontknow:

In my case there was a guy at the top of the street looking out for police whilst his m8 tried to pickpocket people, so if I had grabbed him I would have had his m8 down on me.

marbro8
03-01-2013, 23:02
It would be nice if this never happened in Tenerife but it's a fact of life.......I tell lot's of people to be on thier guard and never to carry large amounts of money when out and about......maybe that's what we should all be doing...spread the word tell everyone to be more careful.
Would love to see more bobbies on the beat but extra bobbies cost money and there is not enough of us paying into the system taxes etc to pay for it.i know what you mean mate, i try to do the same after having my pocket picked, i always tell people to spread their money in their pockets, you can have a good night out for 60 euros so if you have 20 in each pocket then all they are going to get away with is 20 euros, as for not enough people paying tax then you are banging your head against a brick wall there because tenerife is a hive of black market workers:dontknow: as for the police resources then they need to priorities their effort into thing that are important to the canarians residents and holidaymakers ;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

In my case there was a guy at the top of the street looking out for police whilst his m8 tried to pickpocket people, so if I had grabbed him I would have had his m8 down on me.as i said chris in no way put yourself in danger so you made the right decision;) i am mostly always with my wife and i have been in a similar position last year and i remember posting some of the thoughts that where going through my head at the time, and the one that i chose was to just walk away ;)

YOUNG GOLFER
03-01-2013, 23:25
A few guys I know here are cops and they love nothing more than catching bad guys .......trust me on this they are not soft on them either.....but it's the powers that be that tell them what to do be it more traffic stops etc....guess it's easy money.....more so this time of year with drink and driving.

chris
20-11-2013, 12:45
Me and the wife was walking on the footpath outside the old market in Torviscas the other night at midnight when a guy came over and tried to give me a card for a night club I told him we don't do night clubs he the tried to put the card in my pocket so I told him to p*ss off he could see I was annoyed and left me alone I then reached the top of the road when I looked round he was trying it on with a drunken couple and the lady was telling him to F off and hitting him with her handbag. I was also told that it happened last week in the same spot but the guy did get away with a pensioners wallet. So beware if you around the old market late at night.

Arrived back in Tenerife on Friday and last night the above happened again but not to me and this time at the top of the street opp Sunset Bay at midnight so beware when out late at night.