PDA

View Full Version : Other Who has the rights on exiting a roundabout in Tenerife?

deepdivejunkie
29-12-2012, 22:18
On a roundabout which has an inside and outside lane. Who has the right of way when leaving the inside (centre) lane?

imablue
29-12-2012, 22:27
:)Whoever is the fastest driver ...:dontknow:

primrose
29-12-2012, 22:34
It's every man for himself, even the Police don't know which lane to use.:scared::doh:

Harmonicaman
29-12-2012, 22:40
Stay in the outside lane and you won't get caught out...

woolli
29-12-2012, 22:46
Just do what you want like everyone else, including Mr Policia!

cainaries
29-12-2012, 23:33
How did you get into the inside lane?

deepdivejunkie
29-12-2012, 23:49

By using the roundabout correctly.

canarybird
30-12-2012, 00:09
Exiting the roundabout is always done from the right lane, in the same manner as making a right turn on a straight road.
If you're in the inner lane you can't cut in front of someone who is in the right lane in order to exit the roundabout. You have to go around until there's a space in the right lane, move over into that lane and then make your exit to the right.

Boyface
30-12-2012, 00:20
The last time I used the inside lane I rammed my small hire car in between a coach and a taxi to exit the roundabout. After that ordeal I have always stayed in the outside lane even if going all the way around!

KirstyJay
30-12-2012, 00:41
On a roundabout which has an inside and outside lane. Who has the right of way when leaving the inside (centre) lane?
The person in the outside lane has the right of way to exit the roundabout, and theoretically this would work fine, if cars used the inside lane if they were turning left, however here they tend to use the outside lane regardless, so if you can't manoeuvre yourself into the outside lane before your exit, you might find yourself going round again because the guys on the outside sure as hell won't let you out!!!

imablue
30-12-2012, 01:08
As in the uk you should always attempt to be in the outside at least after.. the exit... before your exit... but this is Tenerife and as use of indicators seems to be of no consequence... its anybodys guess ... someone did comment about don,t bother driving if you really don,t have to...rolleyes2:

slodgedad
30-12-2012, 02:12
They are not roundabouts (in the English sense) but circular roads to be treated like a dual carriageway.

The inside lane is meant to be for overtaking when the outside lane is blocked.

I know it sounds nuts but it makes sense if that's the way you have been taught.

I have had this argument many times with Spanish friends of mine and our rules seem as daft to them as theirs do to us.

Forget roundabout and think short dual carriageway.

9PLUS
30-12-2012, 08:06
Bloody Canarians

cressrt
30-12-2012, 09:29
The driving schools here teach to only use the outside lane!

irishmusico
30-12-2012, 09:35
They are not roundabouts (in the English sense) but circular roads to be treated like a dual carriageway.

I know it sounds nuts but it makes sense if that's the way you have been taught.

I have had this argument many times with Spanish friends of mine and our rules seem as daft to them as theirs do to us.

Forget roundabout and think short dual carriageway. Thats it in a nutshell. If you are turning left on a dual carrigeway you stay in the left lane,turning right,you stay in the right lane. Since all exits on a roundabout are to the right,staying in the right or outside lane is the correct way of doing things,according to the Spanish rules.

deepdivejunkie
30-12-2012, 10:23
I found 2 different web pages on the subject (both official Spanish about the rules re roundabouts).
They both contradicted each other.. Seems they don't know either!!

irishmusico
30-12-2012, 22:01
I found 2 different web pages on the subject (both official Spanish about the rules re roundabouts).
They both contradicted each other.. Seems they don't know either!! I did the test out here and my driving instructor taught me just to use the outside lane. I tend to use the inside a lot if theres a lot of traffic in the right lane approaching the roundabout as it is quicker but you have to have your wits about you and not be afraid to die a horrible death :)

Pooh
30-12-2012, 22:34
Forget roundabout and think short dual carriageway.

This is actually what the common rule is supposed to be throughout Europe. It might not be implemented in the UK, but IS implemented in most other European countries.
Not necessarily that the inside is only if the outside is blocked, but it's supposed to be treated like any two lane road. That it's circular doesn't matter.

I had a problem with it too a few years ago when it was implemented in Sweden. (Before that, it was like in the UK.)
But once you just know how to treat it, it's quite simple.

In my opinion it was worse many years ago, when they here in Spain used the "yield for the one from the right" rule even in the roundabouts - so when you were in the roundabout you had to yield to anyone entering it...

KirstyJay
30-12-2012, 22:41
but if you use the UK rules, the traffic moves more freely, as you don't end up getting a tailback in the outside lane on the approach to the roundabout... both lanes are used and the traffic moves quicker. :)

Pooh
30-12-2012, 22:51
but if you use the UK rules, the traffic moves more freely, as you don't end up getting a tailback in the outside lane on the approach to the roundabout... both lanes are used and the traffic moves quicker. :)

True. I don't say I prefer it this way, just that it works, as long as you know what to expect.
But you can't teach the Spanish drivers to do it the UK way, so the point as moot.
But regardless which system is used, and as answer to the OP question - the car changing lanes always has to yield to any car already in that lane. That's universal, no matter which general system is used, and no matter what type of road it is.

Ashro Autos
31-12-2012, 01:30
Always found best way is to get biggest vehicle available and aim and shoot and if you miss round you go again.

doingok
31-12-2012, 09:36
Outside lane for me every time, been caught out to many times doing it the English way if there is one, so has you say if in Rome (well tenerife).

princessmonika
31-12-2012, 15:08
not here in tenerife stay on the outside or you never get out:drive:

deepdivejunkie
01-01-2013, 18:23
Always found best way is to get biggest vehicle available and aim and shoot and if you miss round you go again.

On that advice I'm gonna get one of these....

imablue
01-01-2013, 20:15
Thats a cracker DDJ... but this Tank is better.. this shot was taken at the back our apartment..fast n furious a bit like we have to drive getting off the roundabouts here ...lol

http://vk.com/video-26685724_163443937

slodgedad
02-01-2013, 02:01
This is actually what the common rule is supposed to be throughout Europe. It might not be implemented in the UK, but IS implemented in most other European countries.
Not necessarily that the inside is only if the outside is blocked, but it's supposed to be treated like any two lane road. That it's circular doesn't matter.

I had a problem with it too a few years ago when it was implemented in Sweden. (Before that, it was like in the UK.)
But once you just know how to treat it, it's quite simple.

In my opinion it was worse many years ago, when they here in Spain used the "yield for the one from the right" rule even in the roundabouts - so when you were in the roundabout you had to yield to anyone entering it...
Totally agree. When the Canaries first introduced 'circular roads' in the 80s they were giant car parks when anyone entering the 'roundabout' had right of way.

Some improvement since those days.

Having said that, the roundabout rules, that we all know work the best, don't seem to apply anywhere else but the UK

mike in chayofa
02-01-2013, 12:35
Anything bigger than the vehicle that you are driving has the right of way wherever you are :D

Never argue with a bus or a wagon :lol:

Malteser Monkey
02-01-2013, 13:37

oops I thought this was a trick question:D

cainaries
02-01-2013, 18:18
oops I thought this was a trick question:D

Actually, it was a serious question!! We have got one roundabout here where the inside lane is the fast lane and so has priority but we have another where there is a stop sign .. on the roundabout itself ...in the outside lane and the inside lane has priority. I just stick to the outside so I was curious how the OP had got into the inside lane.