PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted I'm thinking of opening a coffee shop in Tenerife. Comments & opinions wanted

vikkij
06-01-2013, 18:23
I’m from the UK and I’ve been thinking about the idea of starting a new coffee shop either in Los Cristianos or Golf Del Sur focusing mainly on high quality coffee to enjoy in or as take-out, perhaps including sales of high quality cakes/desserts. I’d be very grateful for your thoughts and opinions on whether there is demand for this in the area. I can’t seem to find any Starbucks or Costa Coffee outlets on Tenerife when searching online (no bad thing) and maybe as a consequence there seems to be a culture and demand for higher quality coffee there which I’m not sure is being met at the moment (please correct me if I am wrong as I’m only going from what I’ve read online). I’d be grateful if anyone has any suggestions as to where would be a good location for a coffee shop. Los Cristianos is bigger as has more potential customers but I think there are already coffee shops there, if so do you know how many and how well do they seem to do? Golf Del Sur is smaller with less potential customers (I have read very quiet at the moment thought) but I don’t think there’s a coffee shop there so might have the best potential? Lastly, is anyone aware of any empty premises in a good location? If so then I could do some digging around to find out if I could lease it.

Thanks for your time.

karinagal
06-01-2013, 19:36
Most of the bars/cafes/restaurants I've been into serve either Lavazza or Ritazza coffee (spelling might be a bit dodgy there!). These are strong but nice. The only thing in most of the places I've been is the quantity - doesn't seem to be much option for a larger take away cup (medio or grande sizes) which I would prefer. Good luck with your venture!

sundownersvince
06-01-2013, 20:48
Ahhhhh, the smell of freshly made coffee wafting across the Golf........I believe there is a newish one at the bottom of San Blas, sells cakes too. But a friend of mine slated it so I havent been. You could open one up next door, I would.....

9PLUS
06-01-2013, 20:57
If i was going to venture into the type of business. I would stay clear of doing it on the golf, but Los Cristianos could be a good area for this kind of thing.

Make it International, cool and super creative because there's a load of competition for coffee out there and it's easy to fall into the just another coffee shop category.

Which actually could be a good slogan. "Not just another Coffee shop"

In the boom years Cafeteria Epoca located in El Camison, L.A had a whole load of coffee beans for sale and apparently were all of great quality, it didn't work as a business (could well of helped it though) but that cafeteria is still going strong.

karinagal
06-01-2013, 21:13
Ahhhhh, the smell of freshly made coffee wafting across the Golf........I believe there is a newish one at the bottom of San Blas, sells cakes too. But a friend of mine slated it so I havent been. You could open one up next door, I would.....

Would that be Hatties? My friends ate there a couple of times and said that their home made cakes were to die for...

Tickey
06-01-2013, 21:31
Yes, the home made cakes were to die for and a reasonable price but some of the other things on the menu were very over priced!

sundownersvince
06-01-2013, 21:49
As I said I havent been, but the Red Queen has.......

vikkij
10-01-2013, 14:07
Thanks for your replies.

I looked into Hattie's Tea Room and their focus is on food/cakes and seem to have very good reviews. It took a bit of finding but it's #31 of #1962 restaurants in Tenerife on TA (not sure why it's not listed under Golf Del Sur restaurants?). My main focus would be on the quality coffee with a view to maybe offering cakes/desserts as a side later on. Do you think there's enough room for both businesses?

When doing research online, Lavazza coffee kept coming up over and over so I was thinking of using this. Does anyone else have any suggestions on brands of coffee they prefer drinking on Tenerife?

KirstyJay
10-01-2013, 14:12
In my opinion, you can get a good, quality coffee in Spain at pretty much ANY bar. It's cheap too. If you want to make a business out of a cafe, you need to offer something more than just coffee :)

Tom & Sharon
10-01-2013, 14:19
Thanks for your replies.

I looked into Hattie's Tea Room and their focus is on food/cakes and seem to have very good reviews. It took a bit of finding but it's #31 of #1962 restaurants in Tenerife on TA (not sure why it's not listed under Golf Del Sur restaurants?). My main focus would be on the quality coffee with a view to maybe offering cakes/desserts as a side later on. Do you think there's enough room for both businesses?

When doing research online, Lavazza coffee kept coming up over and over so I was thinking of using this. Does anyone else have any suggestions on brands of coffee they prefer drinking on Tenerife?

What do you call high quality coffee? Personally I think Spanish coffee is far superior to Costa Coffee and the like, but it's all down to personal taste.

"Hatties" on the Golf is a "tea room" is it not? I've never been a) because I can't stand tea b) because I can't stand cakes and c) I've been told it is extremely overpriced.

If we want to go out for a coffee, we would go to "La Taberna" which has a very strong business, and on San Blas this is who your competition would be. There is also "Dabda" for coffee and cakes. The terrace at El Nautico is also a very popular spot just for a coffee, views to die for so I doubt very much you could compete with that.

The going rate for a coffee in the above is around 1.20€, so you would have to watch your prices as well.

Muppet
10-01-2013, 16:09
That is one hell of a lot of cups of coffee to sell so as to be able to pay your autonamo and 1,500 euro minimum a month rent??????!!!!!!!

9PLUS
10-01-2013, 23:46
I popped into Mcdonalds in Santa Cruz today they've installation another side bar which sells Coffee with nata or ice cream and smoothies plus a small selection of cakes and cookies.

It was rammed.

Go into the bars & coffee shops and see what people are eating and drinking.

junglejim
11-01-2013, 08:25
The future challenge? A cupcake vending machine at £3 a pop = my grandson was licking the windows!
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2997/39299210151225423248297.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/541/39299210151225423248297.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
I agree with Kirsty - generally good tasting coffee is available in many places but you need a top venue or a different angle to attract customers - good luck in your venture !

In The Sun
11-01-2013, 10:13
In your opening queastion you sate " I can’t seem to find any Starbucks or Costa Coffee " maybe that should answer your question. If they are not here there will be a reason

slodgedad
13-01-2013, 00:26
In your opening queastion you sate " I can’t seem to find any Starbucks or Costa Coffee " maybe that should answer your question. If they are not here there will be a reason

Great reply. Good coffee is available in even the smallest (Spanish) bars here

9PLUS
13-01-2013, 08:09
maybe that should answer your question. If they are not here there will be a reason

There's no truth in that statement.

bonitatime
13-01-2013, 22:48
I have friends who looked at the Starbucks franchise with the thought to open in Santa Cruz. The rights are owned by the VIPs chain for Spain and what they wanted for a franchise was so high profit would have been impossible to reach

9PLUS
29-01-2013, 09:49
Your business idea is good and I know coffee business is very demanding and fast growing business because it is very basic need of everyone and for best suggestion you should consult with any business expert person.

Do you happen to be good with Terms & Conditions davidmark from business coaching services?

Because the forum T&Cs say no commerical advertising under 25 posts.

I is a forum expert person

x