PDA

View Full Version : What are the employment figures in The UK?

Javi
07-01-2013, 12:17
Hi everyone from sunny Tenerife,

I wonder how the employment market in The UK is going. What are the figures of unemployment? And even more important, Is expected that the economy going up this year?

Last year, I put on much time and effort in trying to find a job within the health and safety field in The UK and I would like to gather information on this topic in order to make a conscious decision as to whether it would be worth keep on searching for a job there.

Also, I would be interested in knowing about what the prospect for a teacher position are.

Any help that steering me into the right track...will be very welcome.

Thanks,
Javier.

junglejim
08-01-2013, 06:48
Unemployment in UK varies from region to region and ranges around 7-9% in general though there are blackspots as well as low unemployment areas .
Health and Safety covers a wide topic , depending on what industry or job field you are interested in and this will define what qualifications you need - see link for types of jobs !
http://www.healthandsafety-jobs.co.uk/

Teaching would appear to be difficult with cutbacks , again depending on type of teaching and core subject - many cannot get a permanent job, temporary or supply teaching seems the norm.
There are jobs in these fields but competition is high , like anywhere else - good luck !

Javi
08-01-2013, 10:39
Thank you for posting.

I've already had the chance to verify how hard the competence is. There are few vacancies a many well prepared people applying inmediately for them. Besides, the fact I am in Tenerife doesn't help.

The unemployment rates are by far better than those we have here...a light of hope for the future.

May someone can tell me, honestly, what, if there any, is the employer's policy regarding hire foreign employees? In other words, do they prefer to hire a British instead of a Spanish (i.e.)?

Thanks,

Javi.

Ecky Thump
08-01-2013, 11:10
Thank you for posting.

I've already had the chance to verify how hard the competence is. There are few vacancies a many well prepared people applying inmediately for them. Besides, the fact I am in Tenerife doesn't help.

The unemployment rates are by far better than those we have here...a light of hope for the future.

May someone can tell me, honestly, what, if there any, is the employer's policy regarding hire foreign employees? In other words, do they prefer to hire a British instead of a Spanish (i.e.)?

Thanks, Javi.

Short term contracts, temporary appointments and being a Eastern European who is prepared to work for a very low salary are sadly at the top of the list. rolleyes2:

junglejim
08-01-2013, 11:29
Larger International companies will employ any nationalities that show competency for positions , you compete on an even basis in my experience .

Javi
09-01-2013, 09:25
Short term contracts, temporary appointments and being a Eastern European who is prepared to work for a very low salary are sadly at the top of the list. rolleyes2:

I guess that this is applicable for low paid jobs where the employers don't demand lot of experience and high qualifications, isn't it?.

Thanks for posting.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Larger International companies will employ any nationalities that show competency for positions , you compete on an even basis in my experience .

I think so or at least, it should be.

Thanks.

junglejim
09-01-2013, 09:38
No short term contracts are being applied to all ranges of jobs and skills - employers don't have to pay bonuses , sick pay , pensions for Temporary contracts as well as other established job perks . It's been common for over a decade in my old company for a number of high skill jobs!

nelson
09-01-2013, 10:55
I guess that this is applicable for low paid jobs where the employers don't demand lot of experience and high qualifications, isn't it?.

Thanks for posting.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

J
I think so or at least, it should be.

Thanks.

I have employed. Poles in my business in the uk. I live in a high unemployment area in the north of England , yet we could not recruit reliable uk workers. The work was dirty waste sorting, pay was above uk minimum wage standard.local uk unemployed would want a job, then prove unreliable and not work well.

About half our staff were welcoming to the poles and half were nasty and prejudiced. The nasty ones I would term as union men, the only do so much work types,the more lazy element we have.

I would say a lot of the foreign workers in the uk are doing jobs the Brits will not do, but these jobs are not all low paid many of the jobs pay well but the Brits won't work hard and prefer the social security lifestyle

Albatros
09-01-2013, 12:46
the Brits won't work hard and prefer the social security lifestyle

A sweeping statement! UK unemployment is 7.8%. Not all of those are shirkers.

At worst 92.2 % of Brits are in work. Hardly representative of your statement.

nelson
09-01-2013, 13:02
A sweeping statement! UK unemployment is 7.8%. Not all of those are shirkers.

At worst 92.2 % of Brits are in work. Hardly representative of your statement.

I was not trying to generalise, but I can speak accuratly about my own first hand experience .

As a general rule in the uk, some unemployed refuse hard work, then foreigners do it