PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Rental How can you tell the legal holiday rentals from the illegal ones in Tenerife?

Fivepence
07-01-2013, 13:17
Member@fonica wrote on the 'deposit refund for illegal letting' thread:

"So they can rent apartments on legal complexes from legal agents who have offices on site and who are accountable to the Tourist Board.There will never be a law that allows residential complexes to rent to tourists on short term rentals.Instead of scaring potential tourists who post on the forum you could point them in the direction of legal complexes where they can enjoy holidays without having to lie to protect illegal rental owners. If you are here for long enough you will see the day when there if fully legal tourism on the island with much more protection for the tourists and where owners pay their dues to the government and use legal local workers to look after their properties.I know this isn't what you want to hear but you could always move to Portugal (if you can sell your apartments after all the scaremongering you have done)"

This made me wonder about how one would know if a rental members were interested in was legal.
Having read the other threads on this subject (and The Tenerife Illegal Lettings thread is 502 pages long), I wondered could a thread a not be created for members to post their legal accommodation on, or is it against forum rules?

The information would only need to consist of a brief description of the accommodation, location/complex and legal agent contact.

If posting the agent contact would be breaking forum rules, could it not be supplied via PM?

Member wishing to rent accommodation could then make contact via PM to acquire the agent's contact details, safe in the knowledge that the rental contract was all legal and above board.

I know some members already post accommodation availability but the suggestion for this thread is in effect a listing of legal rental accommodation.

Sorry if my ignorance of the subject means this is a daft idea, it was just a thought. :sorry:

Please note: This is just a suggestion and I do not want to start another thread discussing the legal/illegal letting of accommodation.

I would also ask that members wait for approval on this suggestion from admin before posting any information.

9PLUS
07-01-2013, 13:57
Surely you would be contacting a sole agents office via email from their website or at the very least i guess a 922 number if in Tenerife possible not just a mobile phone nor just a UK number

I imagine they would inform you of where their reception is and not ill send someone around or ill send you the keys.

For Arona Apartments look here - Arona Legal Apartments (http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/lloc_d10_v6.jsp?codMenu=1105&codMenuPN=1088&codMenuSN=1098)

For Arona Hotels look here - Arona Legal Hotels / Aparthotels (http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/lloc_d10_v6.jsp?codMenu=1104&codMenuPN=1088&codMenuSN=1098)

For Arona Rural accommodation look here - Arona Legal Rural Accommodation (http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/lloc_d10_v6.jsp?codMenu=1106&codMenuPN=1088&codMenuSN=1098)

For Adeje Hotels look here - Adeje Legal Hotels (http://www.costa-adeje.es/public_en/pag_contenido.asp?id_nodo=27)

For Adeje Apartments look here - Adeje Legal Apartments (http://www.costa-adeje.es/public_en/pag_contenido.asp?id_nodo=29)

For Adeje rural accommodation look here - Adeje Legal rural Accommodation (http://www.costa-adeje.es/public_en/pag_contenido.asp?id_nodo=30)

BobMac
07-01-2013, 15:29
Member@fonica wrote on the 'deposit refund for illegal letting' thread:

"So they can rent apartments on legal complexes from legal agents who have offices on site and who are accountable to the Tourist Board.There will never be a law that allows residential complexes to rent to tourists on short term rentals.Instead of scaring potential tourists who post on the forum you could point them in the direction of legal complexes where they can enjoy holidays without having to lie to protect illegal rental owners. If you are here for long enough you will see the day when there if fully legal tourism on the island with much more protection for the tourists and where owners pay their dues to the government and use legal local workers to look after their properties.I know this isn't what you want to hear but you could always move to Portugal (if you can sell your apartments after all the scaremongering you have done)"

This made me wonder about how one would know if a rental members were interested in was legal.
Having read the other threads on this subject (and The Tenerife Illegal Lettings thread is 502 pages long), I wondered could a thread a not be created for members to post their legal accommodation on, or is it against forum rules?

The information would only need to consist of a brief description of the accommodation, location/complex and legal agent contact.

If posting the agent contact would be breaking forum rules, could it not be supplied via PM?

Member wishing to rent accommodation could then make contact via PM to acquire the agent's contact details, safe in the knowledge that the rental contract was all legal and above board.

I know some members already post accommodation availability but the suggestion for this thread is in effect a listing of legal rental accommodation.

Sorry if my ignorance of the subject means this is a daft idea, it was just a thought. :sorry:

Please note: This is just a suggestion and I do not want to start another thread discussing the legal/illegal letting of accommodation.

I would also ask that members wait for approval on this suggestion from admin before posting any information.

There is a thread already for this HERE (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?5769-The-Legal-Holiday-Lettings-in-Tenerife)

Suzanne
07-01-2013, 16:11
I know this is a stupid question but here goes!!!!

How is it Paloma Beach can rental holiday lets when it clearly states at the entrance... Residencial Paloma Beach??

Just wondering.

fixer
07-01-2013, 16:30
Its on the list off tourist complexes.

Fivepence
07-01-2013, 16:38
There is a thread already for this HERE (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?5769-The-Legal-Holiday-Lettings-in-Tenerife)

Apologies Bob, I should have done a search first................doh.
Lesson learned. :doh:

Could I ask that this thread be closed and members refer to BobMac's thread linked above please.
It is pointless cluttering the forum with a duplicate thread........thanks.

:sorry:

junglejim
07-01-2013, 17:59
Surely you would be contacting a sole agents office via email from their website or at the very least i guess a 922 number if in Tenerife possible not just a mobile phone nor just a UK number

I imagine they would inform you of where their reception is and not ill send someone around or ill send you the keys.

For Arona Apartments look here - Arona Legal Apartments (http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/lloc_d10_v6.jsp?codMenu=1105&codMenuPN=1088&codMenuSN=1098)

For Arona Hotels look here - Arona Legal Hotels / Aparthotels (http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/lloc_d10_v6.jsp?codMenu=1104&codMenuPN=1088&codMenuSN=1098)

For Arona Rural accommodation look here - Arona Legal Rural Accommodation (http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/lloc_d10_v6.jsp?codMenu=1106&codMenuPN=1088&codMenuSN=1098)

For Adeje Hotels look here - Adeje Legal Hotels (http://www.costa-adeje.es/public_en/pag_contenido.asp?id_nodo=27)

For Adeje Apartments look here - Adeje Legal Apartments (http://www.costa-adeje.es/public_en/pag_contenido.asp?id_nodo=29)

For Adeje rural accommodation look here - Adeje Legal rural Accommodation (http://www.costa-adeje.es/public_en/pag_contenido.asp?id_nodo=30)
The Adeje Apartments list is not complete surely ? complexes such as Panorama & Club Atlantis , run by VP of Ashotel Konrad ,aren't on it but Laguna Park 1 & 2 are and I know people who rent privately on them outwith any agent .
Oh! He's calling them Hotels , that's alright then !

Ecky Thump
07-01-2013, 18:18

How is it Paloma Beach can rental holiday lets when it clearly states at the entrance... Residencial Paloma Beach??
Just wondering.

I also wonder at times how people who book a apartment on the internet if the letting is legal or not, all you need to imagine is Joe Bloggs sitting with his computer looking for a apartment to rent in Tenerife, he has never seen the Tenerife forum so knows nothing at all about illegal letting.
He see's a advert offering a lovely apartment to let in Los Christianos, see's its in a great location, large patio, has a TV, Washing machine, two swimming pools etc., the owner even offers to pick him up at the airport, all for £490 for two weeks.
He books the holiday and the first thing he knows that it is a illegal let, is when a government inspector comes knocking at the door.
To me the Canarian law on this is a minefield of stupidity and I would even place a bet on there being owners of apartments who let them out not knowing that they are acting illegally.

9PLUS
07-01-2013, 18:31
See the problems that occur with illegal stuff

The clampdown and payment of fines should see the back of it, so then every tourist can get the same regulated service.

Balcony
07-01-2013, 18:34
I know this is slightly left-field, but does anyone know if this residencial / tourist law also applies in mainland Spain?

tfs1
07-01-2013, 18:38
so much for the accuracy of the informative lists of 'legal' locations.

BobMac
07-01-2013, 18:41
I know this is slightly left-field, but does anyone know if this residencial / tourist law also applies in mainland Spain?

The one under discussion on this forum is local to the Canaries but I believe that there are similar laws in some other Spanish regions.

9PLUS
07-01-2013, 18:45

This Law applies to the Canary Islands

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

so much for the accuracy of the informative lists of 'legal' locations.

Nowhere did it say the lists where complete

Ecky Thump
07-01-2013, 18:48
See the problems that occur with illegal stuff

The clampdown and payment of fines should see the back of it, so then every tourist can get the same regulated service.

"Become my very good friend" accept this offer and it becomes legal??

In the words of Mr Bumble ....The law is an ass!!

9PLUS
07-01-2013, 18:49
The complete list of every legal touristic complex can be obtained at

Consejeria de Turismo
Dirección General de Ordenación y Promoción Turística
Servicios de Acción Turística, Inspección y Sanciones e Infraestructura Turística
Edif. Duque de Santa Elena – Planta 1ª
C/ La Marina, 19-21
38071 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Telf: 0034 922 299 330

Loaded
07-01-2013, 21:36

Just wondering.

Strange , I've lived and worked there for 25 years and never seen such a sign.

marbro8
07-01-2013, 22:10
i stayed at a complex in an illegally let apartment and met a lovely couple on the same complex that owned on there,
and in the ten days we were there we became friends and started renting their apartment so in those ten days we became legal ??? does that seem right or make it right? don't get me wrong i aint complaining but the law is a bit silly;)

9PLUS
07-01-2013, 22:19
I pressed the break and was travelling under 120Kms again

tfs1
07-01-2013, 22:26
Although I'm not an expert but my understanding that legally only 'CLOSE FAMILY' of owners can stay without problems relating to legality in apartments and not friends.

Loaded
07-01-2013, 23:18
Actually there's nothing in the law about friends and family so this point is invalid

junglejim
08-01-2013, 06:36
This topic is becoming the "Pulpo a la Illegal " of the Board it is growing more threads every day on the same issue !
I published quotes on the master thread from a Spanish MEP on "Family and Friends" from around '95 - it has never been clarified , such is the incompetence of the people who run these Islands !

Ecky Thump
08-01-2013, 07:45
Actually there's nothing in the law about friends and family so this point is invalid

That's quite a statement, to say that people staying at a apartment as a "Friend or Family" is invalid, surely its a massive loophole in the whole concept of whats legal/illegal renting.

As I said in another post....The law is a ass!!

Balcony
08-01-2013, 09:30
I echo how much the governing bodies in the Canaries make an ass of themselves each time they introduce some draconian law. All they seem to do is fuel the brown envelope brigade and the black economy.

We recently sold our apartment in Tenerife as we wanted to buy a larger place.....and we wanted to rent out. However, we have had time to reflect on the situation, if you like, from an outsider's perspective now and we have decided to delay re-purchasing, because we feel we'd buy into the worst situation for us.

We would prefer to buy a detached house with something like a 'granny' flat attached, but we can see we will probably be prevented from renting out the 'granny' flat. I have no idea how easy it might be to get permission to do so...and I don't go in for brown envelopes.

If we turn to apartments, we definately do not want to be on a tourist complex, not that we mind tourists, but because we are forced to use an exclusive agent for bookings. Such is the lethargy of most absentee owners, as I have seen, is that if the agent is not producing income - for the owner - he is likely to remain in place. Also, from my perspective I see someone other than me trying to control my apartment....he will probably allow ME (the owner) to use my own apartment for 4 or 5 weeks a year. Wow, thank you. I am deeply sceptical, as you might have gathered.

That leaves me the option of an apartment on a residencia - again, no problem, but I want to rent and I can't without huge risk.

When we first bought our apartment this whole scenario was not on the agenda. Equally, when we first bought we didn't realise the extent and complexity of the black market on Tenerife. It soon became apparent. We followed the advice we were given and I'm grateful we did.

9PLUS
08-01-2013, 10:33
There is nothing stopping you renting it out Balony as long as it's not for tourist holiday lets

Balcony
08-01-2013, 13:32
But thats who I'd want to rent to. Long term rentals not for us, as we'd want to be out there ourselves several times a year. That's what is making this nigh impossible anymore
There is nothing stopping you renting it out Balony as long as it's not for tourist holiday lets

9PLUS
08-01-2013, 13:36
Your options are to rent via a sole agent on a licensed site or run the risk of being fined.

or rent long term on a contract.

bonitatime
08-01-2013, 14:19
I echo how much the governing bodies in the Canaries make an ass of themselves each time they introduce some draconian law. All they seem to do is fuel the brown envelope brigade and the black economy.

We recently sold our apartment in Tenerife as we wanted to buy a larger place.....and we wanted to rent out. However, we have had time to reflect on the situation, if you like, from an outsider's perspective now and we have decided to delay re-purchasing, because we feel we'd buy into the worst situation for us.

We would prefer to buy a detached house with something like a 'granny' flat attached, but we can see we will probably be prevented from renting out the 'granny' flat. I have no idea how easy it might be to get permission to do so...and I don't go in for brown envelopes.

If we turn to apartments, we definately do not want to be on a tourist complex, not that we mind tourists, but because we are forced to use an exclusive agent for bookings. Such is the lethargy of most absentee owners, as I have seen, is that if the agent is not producing income - for the owner - he is likely to remain in place. Also, from my perspective I see someone other than me trying to control my apartment....he will probably allow ME (the owner) to use my own apartment for 4 or 5 weeks a year. Wow, thank you. I am deeply sceptical, as you might have gathered.

That leaves me the option of an apartment on a residencia - again, no problem, but I want to rent and I can't without huge risk.

When we first bought our apartment this whole scenario was not on the agenda. Equally, when we first bought we didn't realise the extent and complexity of the black market on Tenerife. It soon became apparent. We followed the advice we were given and I'm grateful we did.

Not sure when you bought but this law has been around15 odd years

theslaters
08-01-2013, 16:38
Has anyone ever been fined ? If so how much?
We have as everyone else that comes to tenerife been renting our holiday apartments for years no problems just booked again for oct 3weeks through owners illegal lets direct its hard enough trying to find what I want from a holiday home without booking through a agent to be given a apartment that I don't wont or work for my family holiday if that was the case I would give up on tenerife and find somewhere else that wanted my money !

Albatros
08-01-2013, 16:49
ts hard enough trying to find what I want from a holiday home without booking through a agent to be given a apartment that I don't wont or work for my family holiday if that was the case I would give up on tenerife and find somewhere else that wanted my money !

Well said.

One good thing about Owners Direct etc is that you get a chance to look over the apartment you are about to let. Often they link to the owners own website which gives loads of good info and photos. Travel agents, Hotels and Agents often leave you with a 'pig in a poke' even if you do declare a preference.

Sorry if this is going off topic.

TOTO 99
08-01-2013, 17:06
We have as everyone else that comes to tenerife been renting our holiday apartments for years no problems just booked again for oct 3weeks through owners illegal lets direct its hard enough trying to find what I want from a holiday home without booking through a agent to be given a apartment that I don't wont or work for my family holiday if that was the case I would give up on tenerife and find somewhere else that wanted my money !

No need to give up on Tenerife. Just keep doing what you're doing now. You aren't breaking the law, the owner is.
Owners have been fined but the guy you rent from obviously isn't worried about it. The holidaymaker is not breaking the law and is never at risk as far as the inspectors are concerned.

I would add that your booking is not completely risk free though. If your owner gets caught and fined in September it is possible he will stop letting which of course would leave you without an apartment. Of course that can happen even with a legal firm as we've just seen with Maestro.
Personally, I'm thankful that owners are still letting and giving us a wider choice.

Loaded
08-01-2013, 17:37

yes, 18,000 and upwards

Ecky Thump
08-01-2013, 17:48
yes, 18,000 and upwards

Is it not a fact that they have been fined, but not paid, as they are appealing and the amounts have been reduced???

theslaters
08-01-2013, 18:26
Is it not a fact that they have been fined, but not paid, as they are appealing and the amounts have been reduced???

Is it a case of making a example of a few?? if they can't even get the Spanish to pay their taxes how are they going to enforce it.
I am now interested in this so I'm going to have to read the FULL topic.
Wish me luck better than dead endears!!

Ecky Thump
08-01-2013, 18:28
Is it a case of making a example of a few?? if they can't even get the Spanish to pay their taxes how are they going to enforce it.
I am now interested in this so I'm going to have to read the FULL topic.
Wish me luck better than dead endears!!

Reading the whole of the thread will have the same result as watching Eastenders.....You will want to cut your own throat!!:D

marbro8
08-01-2013, 20:04
Well said.

One good thing about Owners Direct etc is that you get a chance to look over the apartment you are about to let. Often they link to the owners own website which gives loads of good info and photos. Travel agents, Hotels and Agents often leave you with a 'pig in a poke' even if you do declare a preference.

Sorry if this is going off topic.the problem now is there are lots of owners who brought to let on residential complex's but are now to scared to advertise??? so they can no longer afford to pay the mortgage on the property, so this has either led to them being repossessed or they have to go on a list that is only passed around very secretly between trusted friends or holiday makers, but even that is a risk:dontknow:

9PLUS
08-01-2013, 20:11
So if you don't commercial rent to tourists on a unlicensed complex is it still illegal?

rolleyes2: