PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport What documents do I have to carry whilst driving in Tenerife?

essexeddie
09-01-2013, 19:22
What documents do you need to carry when driving in Tenerife.
I spend about five months here and normally carry my Passport and licence.
I have a laminated credit card size copy of my passport, will this suffice?
I have been told I should carry a copy of my NIE cert. If so can this also be reduced in size.

Dont need to carry anything in the UK :-)

donaldlmach
05-02-2013, 09:41
Car Documents, Driving Lessons, Driving License for Car Hire, Driving Licences

timmylish
05-02-2013, 13:16
Depending on the officer stopping you, everything you can think of and, no copies unless certified by a Notary. If he cannot find fault with your car, beware!

Malteser Monkey
05-02-2013, 13:29

It may be wise to keep both hands on the wheel over there:cheeky::D

Megaloo
05-02-2013, 13:39
As I understand if you are here for more than 2 months and have a residencia then you need a medical and carry that certificate.

cainaries
05-02-2013, 14:15
You can always be missing a piece of paper. If the official stopping you decides you should be carrying something you've never heard of before, then that's just too bad. Don't forget the dog needs a seatbelt which is what they got me for last time! It is exactly as timmylish says.

casabonny
05-02-2013, 15:40
I spend about five months here and normally carry my Passport and licence.
I have a laminated credit card size copy of my passport, will this suffice?
I have been told I should carry a copy of my NIE cert. If so can this also be reduced in size.

Dont need to carry anything in the UK :-)

LEGALLY you must carry original passport, Residencia and/or NIE , driving licence, car docs, Insurance plus receipt , spare glasses if you wear them, two warning triangles, two reflective jackets .
In practice many do not and it really depends on the police who stop you.My advise is to get notrised copies of your passport and Residencia or NIE and driving licence .As these are legal documents you do not then need the originals.For the car docs Insurance i am afraid has to be the original as does the receipt but you can you can get done COPIA COMPULSADA of the ficha tecnica and permiso de circulacion.
If you get stopped by the wrong police man you may find your self asked for a fire extinguisher , bulb kit , first aid kit , because if they cant get you on any of the above these are some things they often try and fine people for.Dont answer back or shout as they are quite likely to fine you for that under the heading " insulting a police officer!

Happy motoring.

golf birdie
05-02-2013, 15:51
the most important thing to carry is a couple of 100€. Police here don't see a car, they see an ATM.