PDA

View Full Version : Worlds safest airlines revealed

delderek
10-01-2013, 15:09
Food for thought.

World's safest airlines revealed

Finnair is the world's safest airline, according to Europe's Jet Airliner Crash Data Evaluation Centre.

It ranked Air New Zealand second, followed by Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific.

British Airways was the highest ranking UK carrier, making it into 10th position.

Virgin Atlantic came 15th, easyJet 17th, Thomas Cook Airlines 18th, Thomsonfly 26th and Ryanair 32nd.

JACDEC collects and analyses safety occurrences from airlines around the world.

The Safety Index ratings are calculated by comparing serious incidents suffered by airlines over the past 30 years to the revenue passenger kilometres they have flown over the same period.

Airlines are also measured against other international safety benchmarks.

No US airline made the top 20, Southwest Airlines coming in highest at No 21.

The Safety Index Top Ten

1 Finnair
2 Air New Zealand
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Emirates
5 Etihad
6 Eva Air
7 Tap Portugal
8 Hainan Airlines
9 Virgin Australia
10 British Airways

Other rankings included Lufthansa (11), ANA (12), Qantas (13), Jetstar Airways (20), Qatar Airways (22), Air Asia (29), Singapore Airlines (30), Malaysia Airlines (35), China Southern Airlines (48), South African Airways (52), Thai Airways International (53), Air India (58) and China Airlines (60).

Virgin Atlantic's proposed new partner Delta, which is planning to buy a stake in the UK airline, came 28th.

In total, there were 496 fatalitites on commercial flights last year, two fewer than in 2011. The number of hull losses (aircraft right-offs) was 44, one less than the previous year.

Fivepence
10-01-2013, 17:12
I'm not questioning the data you have posted DD but it must be down to how they analyse the data they use.

I may be wrong but the airline in 32nd place (the one people love to hate) has never had a serious incident since it's birth in 1985.
Does anyone know of any injuries or accidents with this carrier?

marbro8
10-01-2013, 18:29
I'm not questioning the data you have posted DD but it must be down to how they analyse the data they use.

I may be wrong but the airline in 32nd place (the one people love to hate) has never had a serious incident since it's birth in 1985.
Does anyone know of any injuries or accidents with this carrier?they crushed my mates case once:D;)

Ecky Thump
10-01-2013, 18:48
Southwest Airlines that come in at No21, have only ever been involved in one accident where there was a fatality and that was when one of there aircraft skidded off the runway and hit a car, the fatality was in the car.

A Finnair plane which is listed as No1, crashed with the loss of 22 lives when one of its planes crashed, all the fatalities were on-board the plane!!

The figures alone prove nothing, just historical facts.

warbey
10-01-2013, 20:28
Each Airline has different Airplanes and Types, with a Difference in Fleet sizes too

I think the best results are late departure figures divide by the Number of Planes..

Also Include A.N. Other Planes on Hire as Part of the Fleet..

Fivepence
10-01-2013, 20:41
Each Airline has different Airplanes and Types, with a Difference in Fleet sizes too

I think the best results are late departure figures divide by the Number of Planes..

Also Include A.N. Other Planes on Hire as Part of the Fleet..

Granted Warbey but the OP posted a safety index.

He states BA was in 10th position.
My point is, how can a carrier with an history of some accidents and fatalities be ranked 10th and a carrier with a record of no accidents and no fatalities be ranked 32nd?................it doesn't really make sense. :dontknow:

warbey
10-01-2013, 20:50
Granted Warbey but the OP posted a safety index.

He states BA was in 10th position.
My point is, how can a carrier with an history of some accidents and fatalities be ranked 10th and a carrier with a record of no accidents and no fatalities be ranked 32nd?................it doesn't really make sense. :dontknow:

I wholly agree. That Index MUST be flawed.
which is why I suggested the alternative.

There are lots of old Aircraft Flying, and Maintained to a very good standard
Plane Crews are Trained and vetted too, so how do You Judge
I reckon there's little in it, except for Planes hired in, which are not always to Standard as We know it.

Ecky Thump
10-01-2013, 20:59
I wholly agree. That Index MUST be flawed.
which is why I suggested the alternative.

There are lots of old Aircraft Flying, and Maintained to a very good standard
Plane Crews are Trained and vetted too, so how do You Judge
I reckon there's little in it, except for Planes hired in, which are not always to Standard as We know it.

For me the safest company to fly with statisticly is the one that I am going to fly with, over 50yrs of flying and have never been in a crash, near miss (that I was aware of) major delay or any other catastrophe, so "Fly with who ever I am flying with"!!:D

murph
11-01-2013, 01:06

Does anyone know of any injuries or accidents with this carrier?

Their '' Incidents'' are of their own making - playing short of fuel to get a quick landing (so they appear on time) - Rushing take offs (so they appear on time) ......

Fivepence
11-01-2013, 02:18
Their '' Incidents'' are of their own making - playing short of fuel to get a quick landing (so they appear on time) - Rushing take offs (so they appear on time) ......

I agree Dave but no accidents or fatalities. :confused:

murph
11-01-2013, 18:26
I agree Dave but no accidents or fatalities. :confused:

Well Presumably - Thankfully!!-- There are not enough Accidents and Fatalities to create a decent list (2 x Russian Airlines 1 x south American with crashes and 120 worldwide airlines without!), so I am guessing they are using other criteria!

warbey
11-01-2013, 20:16
And Liverpool changed Speke to John Lennon. Look wot happened to Him........:bowdown::bowdown::D

delderek
11-01-2013, 20:22
Well Presumably - Thankfully!!-- There are not enough Accidents and Fatalities to create a decent list (2 x Russian Airlines 1 x south American with crashes and 120 worldwide airlines without!), so I am guessing they are using other criteria!

According to the site, it is nothing to do with crashes or fatalities it is "Serious Incidents", which most of us would be unaware of, but taking the recent Ryanair low fuel nonsense, it is classed as "Serious" in airline terms.

warbey
11-01-2013, 20:51
According to the site, it is nothing to do with crashes or fatalities it is "Serious Incidents", which most of us would be unaware of, but taking the recent Ryanair low fuel nonsense, it is classed as "Serious" in airline terms.

It is not unknown for Pilots to claim Low Fuel to get down quickly and avoid Delay..

delderek
11-01-2013, 21:33
It is not unknown for Pilots to claim Low Fuel to get down quickly and avoid Delay..

But seems Ryaniar were trying it on 1 out of every 3 flights, and were very nearly banned from flying into any Spanish airport. (Although in defence of the pilots they argued it was company policy to not carry extra fuel to cut down weight)

marbro8
11-01-2013, 21:35
It is not unknown for Pilots to claim Low Fuel to get down quickly and avoid Delay..thank got for that:wow:, we are flying with them for the first time in may, because we were sick of all the delays with monarch over the years:angry:, but tbh i would rather be late than never to arrive at alleek2:;)

Ecky Thump
11-01-2013, 22:11
thank got for that:wow:, we are flying with them for the first time in may, because we were sick of all the delays with monarch over the years:angry:, but xtbh i would rather xqqbe late than never to arrive at alleek2:;)

If you think you might not arrive in May, you can send me the money for the drink you promised me!!!!:lol:

marbro8
11-01-2013, 22:27
If you think you might not arrive in May, you can send me the money for the drink you promised me!!!!:lol:if i don't arrive in may i will haunt you like marley's ghost for the rest of your life because it was you that recommended ryanair to us:cheeky:;)

warbey
12-01-2013, 21:04
if i don't arrive in may i will haunt you like marley's ghost for the rest of your life because it was you that recommended ryanair to us:cheeky:;)

He probably would try one of those Psychic thingies to get in touch for His Drink Mate...........................:wow::hello::hello:

marbro8
13-01-2013, 21:47
He probably would try one of those Psychic thingies to get in touch for His Drink Mate...........................:wow::hello::hello: you know him so well;):lol:

Ecky Thump
13-01-2013, 22:07
if i don't arrive in may i will haunt you like marley's ghost for the rest of your life because it was you that recommended ryanair to us:cheeky:;)

He probably would try one of those Psychic thingies to get in touch for His Drink Mate...........................:wow::hello::hello:

you know him so well;):lol:

I was a well known "SPIRITS" expert in my past life!!:vodkamachine::drunk2:;)

warbey
14-01-2013, 20:16
you know him so well;):lol:

Confirmed then Marbro, no escape, unless You try a Lookie Man.?:confused::confused: