PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about apartment rental fees in Las Americas

BalancingLife
11-01-2013, 00:42
Greetings fellow sun worshippers! :bowdown:

I have been browsing around for a while now but I feel a bit lost and would love to get some advice.
Me and my friend are going to Tenerife soon to stay for a few months. We are haven't decided where to live yet since we read that its easier to look for apartments on the spot than browsing the over expensive internet choices :). We will book a hotel for a couple of days and get out there and start looking for our temporary home.

Question #1: How much is usually a taxi from the south airport to the center of Las Americas? Do they use taxi meter or always fixed prices?
Question #2: How much should we expect to pay per month for a two bedroom apartment in Adeje somewhat close to Las Americas?
We don't need to live in the middle of the party zone, preferably a but outside so that we can get good sleep. If we gotta take a shorter bus to the nightlife, that would be ok, as long as we can save some arbitrary money on rent. A modest apartment with broadband access and a walking distance like 20 minute to the beach would be teneriffic :spin:.

I will probably fill in more questions later if I find that people are happy to help out.
Any other newbie advice are welcome, eg: how to avoid scammers/shady people, any culture things that we should know of?
I will keep browsing this forum until later, thanks for now!

Now back to my reality here in Sweden :shiver:rain::cold::sick3:

Fivepence
11-01-2013, 02:27
:welcome: to the forum.

Lycka till. :goodluck:

mastymino
12-01-2013, 04:10
taxi 20 euro
home 650 euro in las americas if u look around properly

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

:welcome: to the forum.

Lycka till. :goodluck:

is swedish

Fivepence
12-01-2013, 12:22
taxi 20 euro
home 650 euro in las americas if u look around properly

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

is swedish

No sorry...........google translate, I cheated to make you feel more at home here. :D

Rochelle
12-01-2013, 13:32
Question #1: How much is usually a taxi from the south airport to the center of Las Americas? Do they use taxi meter or always fixed prices? Meter or not, always agree a price before you get in a taxi but normally 20/25 euro.
Question #2: How much should we expect to pay per month for a two bedroom apartment in Adeje somewhat close to Las Americas? It does all depend on the time of year, but if it is not over the main English school holidays, ie Easter, July/August or Christmas and New Year you should be able to negotiate 700/800 euro per month.
We don't need to live in the middle of the party zone, preferably a but outside so that we can get good sleep. If we gotta take a shorter bus to the nightlife, that would be ok, as long as we can save some arbitrary money on rent. A modest apartment with broadband access and a walking distance like 20 minute to the beach would be teneriffic .
The thing is if you live outside the main resorts the buses stop at midnight'ish so it's taxi's back every time adding to your expenditure. If you look at apartments on the other side of the TF1 (not the beach side) they tend to be cheaper, quieter, but still walkable.

If you need anymore questions answered I will try my best, and wish you all the luck in the world with your relocation.

BalancingLife
13-01-2013, 02:01
Thank you very much guys for the help!

You are right Rochelle about the taxi adding cost if we live outside the party zone.
Q3: Is renting scooters long term a big cost over there? If we feel like getting around without taking cabs all the time, we're not planning on drinking and driving :).
Q4: Is easy to get a solid and stable/reliable internet connection (we work half time online)?
Q5: Will apartments be much cheaper if we rent long term, lets say 6 months or more (we don't have residentia yet though)?
Q6: Is there solid 3G to use if we get a new sim card for our iphones?
Q7: Is air condition a necessity? I lived in a humid climate before in Thailand and AC really was priority number one to survive the rainy season, however Tenerife is usually cooler and not as humid as I understood?
Q8: We are planning to cook mostly to keep costs low, but love to indulge one in a nice meal out every now and then, what is a standard lunch meal out approximately?

I can't wait for the adventure to start, I know will love the climate and the nature, I just hope I can find a home that isn't going to ruin me financially :).

junglejim
13-01-2013, 02:15
Fixed ADSL line in the apartment will be around €40 per month including line rental from Movistar - you will need a rental contract , bank account, Passport or Residencia to book it - speed will be anything fron 1- 6 Mb/s , see Telefonica website. It would be an annual contract though so you may have to find an apartment with ADSL already installed .
http://www.movistar.es/internet
Others such as Direct Telecom are available too.
3G shouldn't be a problem .
Meals can vary depending on what type of restaurant you want to eat in from €5 - whatever you want to pay , a typical 3 course "Tourist" menu will be around €8 .
The longer you rent the better the deal you should be able to negotiate , including water and electricity bills.
Aircon might be needed in July/August , depending on location - I have it and didn't use it , just went for a swim in pool!
Enjoy your stay!;)

rita
13-01-2013, 11:45
Hi if you still looking apartment I can rent one double room for u in costa adeje Villas Canarias for 300 euro in month.

Rochelle
13-01-2013, 12:18
Q3: Is renting scooters long term a big cost over there? If we feel like getting around without taking cabs all the time, we're not planning on drinking and driving Not sure about scooters. I expect you could come to some agreement with a hire company but if you have a drink you have to leave it where you parked it. If it were me I would stay somewhere that was walkable and take all the hassle out of transport.
Q4: Is easy to get a solid and stable/reliable internet connection (we work half time online)? Again try and hire somewhere that has free internet access. If you add all these costs up individually it will be much more expensive than having a decent place to stay with most facilities.
Q5: Will apartments be much cheaper if we rent long term, lets say 6 months or more (we don't have residentia yet though)? Oh yes, you can get some good deals if you rent for a minimum 6 months. Makes a difference as they don't see you as a holidaymaker.
Q6: Is there solid 3G to use if we get a new sim card for our iphones? Never had any problems with phone connections.
Q7: Is air condition a necessity? I lived in a humid climate before in Thailand and AC really was priority number one to survive the rainy season, however Tenerife is usually cooler and not as humid as I understood? I normally only go during winter months so obviously we don't need it then. Last summer was an exceptionally warm year and people did say about needing AC. I would say from Sept to May you don't.....would a few fans do for the few months you would benefit from it ? Think you would have to work this one out for yourselves as everyone has different thresholds.
Q8: We are planning to cook mostly to keep costs low, but love to indulge one in a nice meal out every now and then, what is a standard lunch meal out approximately? Oh no problem there. Alot of the resturants turn out a fantastic 3 course meal for as little as 7.95 euro even in the tourist area's. Eating out is very cheap and a good bottle of wine (alot cheaper than drinking spirits) can be as little as 8 euro...Happy Days !

I'll try and answer more questions as and when you have them. When are you going ?

Rochelle

BalancingLife
30-01-2013, 12:54
Thanks Rochelle.

We are having a real hard time finding a place. All property sales stores responds "full" or "private" :(. Not much on the web either. We looked at one apartment but it didn't have internet at all. We're considering checking southern GC out, but it seems very tedious and expensive to get from southern Tenerife to southern GC? As I understood it, we have to take a bus/taxi to the Santa Cruz and then the ferry to Las Palma and then again a bus/taxi to the south? Oh man, why don't they have ferries from south to south?

BalancingLife
02-02-2013, 13:02
All advice is very much appreciated =)