PDA

View Full Version : Free anti virus to cover online banking

penelope pitstop
11-01-2013, 18:10
Does anyone know if there is a free anti virus that gives protection when banking online?

I bought a Norton for £39 but it caused lots of problems & made my laptop very slow. My Technician advised me to remove it & he replaced it with the free Microsoft Essentials which he said was as good as any. As far as I know, these free ones do not give full protection when banking online, so I am rather concerned.

I used Avast for years with no problems when banking, even though I have just discovered it did not fully protect.

Please can anyone give me advice please as having wasted £39 that created problems ans slowed my computer down, I do not want to waste anymore money.

waveydavey
11-01-2013, 18:25
The best for banking protection is Kaspersky though it does cost.Have a look round,I got it for free although I have a Barclays bank account.

timmylish
12-01-2013, 01:47
M.Essentials is so light it does not slow down the unit, imho. Giving away your address is almost impossible to totally protect. The only certain way is to use a VPN making your address hidden.

dotty1
12-01-2013, 08:37
My bank supplies rapport with all my accounts (two separate banks) free

penelope pitstop
12-01-2013, 12:28
M.Essentials is so light it does not slow down the unit, imho. Giving away your address is almost impossible to totally protect. The only certain way is to use a VPN making your address hidden.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a VPN?

Suej
12-01-2013, 12:34
Does anyone know if there is a free anti virus that gives protection when banking online?

I bought a Norton for £39 but it caused lots of problems & made my laptop very slow. My Technician advised me to remove it & he replaced it with the free Microsoft Essentials which he said was as good as any. As far as I know, these free ones do not give full protection when banking online, so I am rather concerned.

I used Avast for years with no problems when banking, even though I have just discovered it did not fully protect.

Please can anyone give me advice please as having wasted £39 that created problems ans slowed my computer down, I do not want to waste anymore money.

Download Trusteer Rapport I was strongly advised by Natwest to install it as it is another layer of protection and is designed for online banking and shopping! it will protect all your passwords for any site you select so I also have it operational for my Spanish Bank, Amazon etc... http://www.trusteer.com/Products/Trusteer-Rapport-for-Online-Banking

penelope pitstop
12-01-2013, 12:37
My bank supplies rapport with all my accounts (two separate banks) free

I have this too, but it does not give complete protection. If you look at the security padlock symbol it has a yellow sumbol on it, click on that & it will tell you about the level of protection.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Download Trusteer Rapport I was strongly advised by Natwest to install it as it is another layer of protection and is designed for online banking and shopping! it will protect all your passwords for any site you select so I also have it operational for my Spanish Bank, Amazon etc... http://www.trusteer.com/Products/Trusteer-Rapport-for-Online-Banking

As stated in my reply above, I have this too but it does not give full protection, click on the security padlock & if there is a yellow symbol on that it explains that this not fully protected.

Mawkin
12-01-2013, 12:42
I also use Rapport and agree with Suej it appears to work well.

Have you turned Rapport on on your Acounts???

Suej
12-01-2013, 14:11
I have this too, but it does not give complete protection. If you look at the security padlock symbol it has a yellow sumbol on it, click on that & it will tell you about the level of protection.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

As stated in my reply above, I have this too but it does not give full protection, click on the security padlock & if there is a yellow symbol on that it explains that this not fully protected.

I agree I have Bitdefender Total internet security but as I said in my post Trusteer Rapport adds another layer of security! It is a free download and is worth it!:)

penelope pitstop
12-01-2013, 16:45
I also use Rapport and agree with Suej it appears to work well.

Have you turned Rapport on on your Acounts???

How do I turn it on please?

Suej
12-01-2013, 16:54
How do I turn it on please?

I thought you said you already had Rapport Installed pp? Have you not had it activated? It does work better that way! ;)

penelope pitstop
12-01-2013, 17:34
I thought you said you already had Rapport Installed pp? Have you not had it activated? It does work better that way! ;)
This is going from bad to worse. I did have Rapport installed but maybe misunderstood when you said it needed activating as there is no sign of it when banking online.
In DESPERATION I re installed Norton I bought in August, only to find I still have the yellow triangle symbol on top of the security padlock, meaning the site is not fully protected.
I then uninstalled Rapport & tried to re install it, but it won't go on possibly because norton blocks it.
So after all my efforts I still do not have full protection & have no idea where to go from here.
Any suggestions please

Suej
12-01-2013, 21:32
This is going from bad to worse. I did have Rapport installed but maybe misunderstood when you said it needed activating as there is no sign of it when banking online.
In DESPERATION I re installed Norton I bought in August, only to find I still have the yellow triangle symbol on top of the security padlock, meaning the site is not fully protected.
I then uninstalled Rapport & tried to re install it, but it won't go on possibly because norton blocks it.
So after all my efforts I still do not have full protection & have no idea where to go from here.
Any suggestions please
Any program can be disabled pp! Norton will not block Rapport when a site is protected there is only a green square that appears at the right hand of theaddress bar. Try going back to the instructions on installing it, it would be a lot simpler than someone trying to explain it on here! :)

timmylish
13-01-2013, 04:52
Brings back sooooooooooo many happy memories!