PDA

View Full Version : Relocation What do you think about where you live in Tenerife?

Coconut
11-01-2013, 20:03
Hi everyone, just had a quick wonder and thought I'd ask. I was just wondering for those that live on the island, where about do you live and why did you choose there? I hear of all these different places on the island where people have gone to live and it just makes me wonder why they chose that area. When going on holiday I only ever stay in Los Cristianos, do go out to visit other places like Americas and Adeje, but never stayed there. It does make me think that if I ever moved to the island I would probably only feel comfortable moving to Los Cristianos as that is where I know best, but I would also like to get to know other parts of the island.

chifleta
11-01-2013, 21:02
I think we all have different ideas/opinions of where we live or would like to live... next time you're over on hols, rent a car or jump on a bus, and just get off at any place that takes your fancy and have a look around.

I lived in Cristianos initially and hated it, the area I was in was noisy, and it was a back street backing onto a typical Canarian mens bar, they played dominos, very loudly till late at night, and then a crazy man used to shout first thing in the morning, every morning - so didn't enjoy living there. The only plus side is the owner would let us go on her balcony to watch the carnaval procession LOL.

I lived in Garachico (OH's hometown) and although it was nice being close to his family, and it's a beautiful town, I didn't enjoy it there, it felt oppressive being at the bottom of a steep mount, and a bit too quiet even for me LOL - in those days (about 19 years ago) if you wanted to have a drink out after 11pm you'd have to go to Puerto de la Cruz.

I lived in various apartments in Las Galletas, and again, in those days (16 years ago) they hadn't brought in the law about the noisy mopeds, so every single place I lived there was noisy... again....

I've lived in El Fraile for a long time now, and apart from the occassional ignoranus and their regetton music blaring, it's nice and quiet in the area I live, and i've never had any major problems with neighbours and i've always felt safe walking around the village.

Like I said, we all have reasons for chosing different places, my reason for picking here was price initially, and then quietness, and locality to everything I needed, school, doctors, work, shops, beach.... :)

EXPLORE ... is my suggestion :)

Coconut
11-01-2013, 21:22
I think we all have different ideas/opinions of where we live or would like to live... next time you're over on hols, rent a car or jump on a bus, and just get off at any place that takes your fancy and have a look around.

I lived in Cristianos initially and hated it, the area I was in was noisy, and it was a back street backing onto a typical Canarian mens bar, they played dominos, very loudly till late at night, and then a crazy man used to shout first thing in the morning, every morning - so didn't enjoy living there. The only plus side is the owner would let us go on her balcony to watch the carnaval procession LOL.

I lived in Garachico (OH's hometown) and although it was nice being close to his family, and it's a beautiful town, I didn't enjoy it there, it felt oppressive being at the bottom of a steep mount, and a bit too quiet even for me LOL - in those days (about 19 years ago) if you wanted to have a drink out after 11pm you'd have to go to Puerto de la Cruz.

I lived in various apartments in Las Galletas, and again, in those days (16 years ago) they hadn't brought in the law about the noisy mopeds, so every single place I lived there was noisy... again....

I've lived in El Fraile for a long time now, and apart from the occassional ignoranus and their regetton music blaring, it's nice and quiet in the area I live, and i've never had any major problems with neighbours and i've always felt safe walking around the village.

Like I said, we all have reasons for chosing different places, my reason for picking here was price initially, and then quietness, and locality to everything I needed, school, doctors, work, shops, beach.... :)

EXPLORE ... is my suggestion :)

Wow, thanks for a great detailed response! Really interesting, may I ask where in Los Cristianos that was haha?

chifleta
11-01-2013, 21:27
Wow, thanks for a great detailed response! Really interesting, may I ask where in Los Cristianos that was haha?

You caught me on a rambling/waffling good day LOL ....... yeah but the name has changed I think, it was Calle General Franco in those days, on the right hand side where the taxi rank is just before the church, but not looking onto that road, it was looking onto a back path....

Coconut
11-01-2013, 21:40
You caught me on a rambling/waffling good day LOL ....... yeah but the name has changed I think, it was Calle General Franco in those days, on the right hand side where the taxi rank is just before the church, but not looking onto that road, it was looking onto a back path....

Haha that's good! Oh I think I know where you mean, was it by a very big steep road lol?

chifleta
11-01-2013, 21:47
Haha that's good! Oh I think I know where you mean, was it by a very big steep road lol?

it comes up on google maps :) it's not a steep road, a slight incline only....

Coconut
11-01-2013, 22:00
it comes up on google maps :) it's not a steep road, a slight incline only....

I know where you mean now! I usually have to walk up that road to get to where I'm going lol!:)