PDA

View Full Version : Health What's the difference between the Green Hospital in Las Americas and Candelaria Hospi

essexeddie
12-01-2013, 20:41
What is the difference between the hospital in Las Americas the the one in Candelaria?
I know the Candelaria one is National Health but if I were to be taken ill which is the best hospital to visit [non emergancy]
Always wondered this one.

9PLUS
12-01-2013, 21:34
One is bigger than the other

One has more staff than the other

One is in the north, the other one is not

essexeddie
12-01-2013, 21:38
One is bigger than the other

One has more staff than the other

One is in the north, the other one is not

Mmmmmm smart ****:bootyshake:

kingbaker
12-01-2013, 22:01
I don't know about Candelarias charges, but if you mean Hospiten Sur in PDLA, then the charge for

a week in coronary care/icu was almost €10,000 in 2010

You'd need loadsa cash or a good insurance policy for Hospiten Sur, as it's a private hospital.

I think that they are required to treat all emergencies, but you'll be transferred to a public hospital, after you've become stable.

I had to leave a deposit upon arrival (€200.00), before I could be seen by emergency staff.
Incidently I found the care to be excellent there.

slodgedad
12-01-2013, 22:11
Basically, the Hospital in the north (Candeleria, which is a University Hospiital) deals with major health problems, whereas the south Hospitals deal mainly with accidents and easily managed problems.

essexeddie
12-01-2013, 22:15
Basically, the Hospital in the north (Candeleria, which is a University Hospiital) deals with major health problems, whereas the south Hospitals deal mainly with accidents and easily managed problems.

Thanks, thought so:flatcap:

angiebabes
12-01-2013, 22:54

Not so. Both my husband and I have been treated , privately, at the green hospital for major problems in intensive care. Very good they were too and very thorough.

9PLUS
12-01-2013, 23:21
Anyway essexbird we're getting a public hospital in the south soon

obs
12-01-2013, 23:24

Soon? ........ pffft

9PLUS
12-01-2013, 23:26
er or later

slodgedad
12-01-2013, 23:29
Not so. Both my husband and I have been treated , privately, at the green hospital for major problems in intensive care. Very good they were too and very thorough.

Sorry. I was thinking 'Social'

Everyone I know who has been stroke, cancer or serious accident victim in the south have been transferred to Candeleria, which in my opinion must rank in the top 10 hospitals in Europe

junglejim
13-01-2013, 02:04
The Green Hospital will treat you on an EHIC (old E111) for emergencies such as fractures etc but even with private insurance they seem to insist on an up front deposit despite the fact the Insurance Company we use insist we should pay nothing.
I took an elderly lady there last year who was unwell and they couldn't trace her insurance company (via RBS on a black card) so they charged her €1000 a day for treatment - she eventually got it back from her insurance !
The actual medical treatment was very good , if expensive!

Tom & Sharon
13-01-2013, 07:42
I was taken to the Green Clinic when I broke my leg. I was treated for 2 days on my EH1C and was not asked for any money. After 2 days I was transferred to Candelaria, who I thought were better.

blondie
13-01-2013, 15:14
I keep hearing conflicting stories regarding the E 111 card and what we as tourists are entitled to. If I required to be taken to hospital via ambulance , which hospital would I be taken to if I am staying in LA or LC? I would never dream of travelling without insurance but if we are indeed entitled to free care what on earth am I paying a fortune for other than maybe needing an air ambulance home? Howmuch do walk in off the street clinics charge for a consultation and do you have to pay them them hopefully have a successful claim from your insurance provider when you return home .

chifleta
13-01-2013, 17:03
I don't know about Candelarias charges, but if you mean Hospiten Sur in PDLA, then the charge for

a week in coronary care/icu was almost €10,000 in 2010

You'd need loadsa cash or a good insurance policy for Hospiten Sur, as it's a private hospital.

I think that they are required to treat all emergencies, but you'll be transferred to a public hospital, after you've become stable.

I had to leave a deposit upon arrival (€200.00), before I could be seen by emergency staff.
Incidently I found the care to be excellent there.

OUCH...... but actually only part of it is private....... the other part is seguridad social....

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::crazy::crylaughing::c rylaughing::crylaughing:

yeah, hadn't you heard too that they are going to tarmac the track between the Shell petrol station in Las Estrella to the Fraile roundabout ...

kingbaker
13-01-2013, 17:20
OUCH...... but actually only part of it is private....... the other part is seguridad social....

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::crazy::crylaughing::c rylaughing::crylaughing:

yeah, hadn't you heard too that they are going to tarmac the track between the Shell petrol station in Las Estrella to the Fraile roundabout ...

Good food in their cafeteria.............fab meals,and reasonably priced. (the Shell I mean)

fonica
13-01-2013, 21:55
What is the difference between the hospital in Las Americas the the one in Candelaria?
I know the Candelaria one is National Health but if I were to be taken ill which is the best hospital to visit [non emergancy]
Always wondered this one.

The Candalaria is the only totally state funded hospital on the island and the staff there are employed by the Spanish National Health service.The "Hospiten" hospitals rent bed to the national health service and therefore treat both private and NH patients.The Hospiten hospital "Las Ramblas" has one of the most advanced heart surgery units in Spain and on occasions treats National Health patients. The out patients clinic +accident and emergency department in Mojon is run from the Candalaria hospital so if you are entitled to NH care you could go there first and they will send you either to the Green Clinic or Candalaria depending on what is wrong with you and the bed situation.You can go directly to Candalaria and this can be a good option if you have a very sick child as they have an excellent childrens unit.

9PLUS
14-01-2013, 00:03
One is called Green

The other is called Nuestra Seņora de Candelaria

TenerifePool
14-01-2013, 01:24
One is called Green

The other is called Nuestra Seņora de Candelaria

And it's absolutely NOT in Candelaria!

kingbaker
14-01-2013, 20:51
And the other is called Hospiten Sur and it's not green.....just the name on the building is in a green neon sign.

9PLUS
14-01-2013, 22:20
And the other is called Hospiten Sur and it's not green.....just the name on the building is in a green neon sign.

yeah like course it's green tis why it's called the green hospital innit

Javi
14-01-2013, 22:29
[I]Anyway essexbird we're getting a public hospital in the south soon

:laugh:...the best joke I've read on the forum so far...soon! :crylaughing:

[QUOTE=fonica;253089]The Candalaria is the only totally state funded hospital on the island and the staff there are employed by the Spanish National Health service.The "Hospiten" hospitals rent bed to the national health service and therefore treat both private and NH patients.The Hospiten hospital "Las Ramblas" has one of the most advanced heart surgery units in Spain and on occasions treats National Health patients. The out patients clinic +accident and emergency department in Mojon is run from the Candalaria hospital so if you are entitled to NH care you could go there first and they will send you either to the Green Clinic or Candalaria depending on what is wrong with you and the bed situation.You can go directly to Candalaria and this can be a good option if you have a very sick child as they have an excellent childrens unit.

Totally agree. We have another totally funded hospital in the island...El Hospital General. In terms of NH care, the island is splitted into North and South, so patients from the North are transferred at Hospital General and those from the South at Candelaria. Both are excellent with, in certain specialities, the best professionals in Europe. It could say the same about state hospitals in Las Palmas.

angiebabes
14-01-2013, 23:26
And it's absolutely NOT in Candelaria!

Where is it please and how to get there and also can someone give directions to Majon from Puerto de Santiago? Thanks

bonitatime
14-01-2013, 23:45
If you take the turning for Los Cristianos And instead of going down towards the coast you head up then you will find it On the left

fonica
15-01-2013, 12:38
[QUOTE=9PLUS;252867][I]Anyway essexbird we're getting a public hospital in the south soon

:laugh:...the best joke I've read on the forum so far...soon! :crylaughing:

Totally agree. We have another totally funded hospital in the island...El Hospital General. In terms of NH care, the island is splitted into North and South, so patients from the North are transferred at Hospital General and those from the South at Candelaria. Both are excellent with, in certain specialities, the best professionals in Europe. It could say the same about state hospitals in Las Palmas.
Hi Javi, I hadn't realized that EL hospital General(universitario) had been totally incorporated into the Consorcio Sanitario in 2009.It was a private hospital that rented out beds to the "National Health system" before this date.Thanks for the update.I am sure that the people in the north of the island are grateful for the change.I absolutely agree with you that the very best professionals offer us a wonderful service and unlike the private care system on the island you can be sure that the treatments offered are necessary and not just a way of making money for themselves.

Javi
15-01-2013, 19:00
[QUOTE=Javi;253444]
I absolutely agree with you that the very best professionals offer us a wonderful service and unlike the private care system on the island you can be sure that the treatments offered are necessary and not just a way of making money for themselves....:tiphat:

It's not only that. Just ask to a doctor or a nurse where they go when they are ill or when they need some medical treatment. They choose state hospitals for their families in spite of when the majority work for both systems.