PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Help getting my cat to Tenerife from Scotland

conandina
15-01-2013, 00:09
Does anybody know which airlines flying from Scotland to Tenerife will carry pets please?

glostergirl
15-01-2013, 09:31
hi if u pm pets@home they can do everything for u well recommended company.

Tajinaste Chris
15-01-2013, 10:12
I brought my three cats with Thomas Cook from Glasgow. No need to use agent if cat has passport and is checked by vet 24 hours before flight.

honda
15-01-2013, 11:59
I brought my three cats with Thomas Cook from Glasgow. No need to use agent if cat has passport and is checked by vet 24 hours before flight.

May be different if traveling back to UK.

kell
15-01-2013, 19:25
i used jet 2 from glasgow to tenerife, just phoned jet 2 and they send me the paperwork, it was easy to do

conandina
15-01-2013, 23:53
Thanks everybody for your replies - so far then we have Thomas Cook and Jet 2 from Glasgow. I'd still like to know of any others from Scotland.

I have read a bit about what is necessary and I may use pets at home as recommended. However, my question is really what it says - which airlines fly from Scotland carry pets.

By way of explanation, the reason I need to know this is - we are moving over to Tenerife early June and we currently live half way between Aberdeen and Inverness. There are no direct flights to Tenerife from Inverness and those from Aberdeen are very limited. Does anybody know if Aberdeen flights take pets?
If not then I am left with a) Prestwick - Ryanair only - don't think they do pets but happy to be corrected b) Edinburgh or Glasgow. Both these cities are approximately 3.5 - 4 hours drive from where we currently live so for obvious reasons we really need to be on the same flight as the cat.
The number of flights per day from Scotland to Tenerife are very limited and there is a huge range of prices.
We need to travel at the beginning of June as near to the 1st as possible.

So - any other suggestions as to flights to Tenerife from Scotland carrying pets?

I've tried looking on the various airlines websites to see what they do but they don't make it easy to find that information.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Having looked again at flights my specific questions are -
Does anybody know if Ryanair take pets?
Does anybody know if Thomas Cook take pets from Aberdeen?
Does anybody know if Easyjet from Edinburgh take pets?

Thanks in advance

honda
16-01-2013, 14:09
The cat may not want to fly with Ryanair. :rofl:

candy2411
16-01-2013, 14:31
I made a lot of enquiries for a friend last year who was travelling from UK to Germany with her cat. Monarch would have taken the cat but only from a London airport and unfortunately didn't fly to Germany, Ryanair definitely wouldn't carry pets.
In the end she travelled with Lufthansa and unbelievably was even able to have the cat in an airline approved bag actually in the cabin with her at a cost of only £60 for her flight and £50 for the cat from Manchester to Hamburg.Cat was already microchipped so cost only about £50 for rabies vaccination and fit to fly certificate valid for 7 days if I remember correctly.

Not a lot of help to you I'm know , maybe best bet would be try Monarch if they fly from your area.

kell
16-01-2013, 20:20
it is only glasgow that you can fly pets from to tenerife, i flew my cat a year and half ago to here, i phoned a few diffrent companes and also looked on the defra website and look at the pet passport section it tells you all the companies that fly to diffrent places, if i had more time i would find the link for you but im just off to workk

conandina
16-01-2013, 21:32
thanks for the additional information everybody. Seems very confusing though because the DEFRA website suggests they can only fly from Edinburgh yet we have examples above of flying from Glasgow.

My ideal would be Aberdeen - don't suppose anybody out there has managed that route with a cat then? (I've been in touch with Thomas Cook to ask but no reply yet)

9PLUS
16-01-2013, 21:46
All this fuss, just put it in your bag.

conandina
16-01-2013, 21:51
All this fuss, just put it in your bag.

I wish I could!

9PLUS
16-01-2013, 22:21
I wish I could!

Just do it! tis only a cat

Pets@Home
16-01-2013, 22:39
Have imported fm GLA and EDI and MAN and LGW, its all fine, have sent u a p/m about our service x

Greg
17-01-2013, 00:06
If it under 6kg you can have it in the cabin with a couple of airlines.

honda
17-01-2013, 11:00
Just do it! tis only a cat

ONLY A CAT........Asking for trouble there, 9PLUS....:lol::playcat::laugh:

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 11:52
:)..........

junglejim
17-01-2013, 13:50
That reminds me of the joke about the woman who wanted to steal a skunk from Edinburgh Zoo -her husband said "Just stick it down your knickers , nobody will see it"
"But what about the smell?" she said
" If it dies , it dies !" he replied !

conandina
17-01-2013, 19:26
If it under 6kg you can have it in the cabin with a couple of airlines.

Really - I've not found any that say that you can do that flying from the UK

universal
17-01-2013, 19:43

Try Iberia.

candy2411
17-01-2013, 19:51

Lufthansa will definitely allow the cat in the cabin ( in an enclosed carrying bag obviously), but don't think they have any direct flights from the UK to Tenerife. Would involve a change at a German airport which would considerably extend the journey time.

When my friend flew with her cat from Manchester to Hamburg, she had all the correct documentation, pet passport, rabies and fit to fly certificates but none were inspected at Manchester on departure. I would imagine this wouldn't happen on a return into the UK.

My friend paid only economy flight fare but once the cabin staff realised she had a cat in a carrier as her hand luggage, they immediately upgraded her at no extra cost to business class as this provided extra space to accommodate the holdall in the space under the seat in front.

sundownersvince
17-01-2013, 22:16
There you go, the Germans are the most pet friendly country in Europe. Well I never........

conandina
17-01-2013, 23:07
Try Iberia.

From Scotland? I don't think so.

universal
18-01-2013, 11:27
From Scotland? I don't think so.

Taken from an Iberia information site.

"IN CABIN TRAVEL: FLY WITH A SMALL DOG OR CAT
If your pet meets the requirements listed in Iberia Airlines pet policy to travel in-cabin, you will need an approved airline pet carrier. You must notify Iberia Airlines that you are traveling with a pet. Reservations cannot be made online. "

Iberia charge from as little as €30 for this service. This may well make it worth while the op considering flying from an alternative airport or taking a non direct flight.

Susief
18-01-2013, 12:14
Taken from an Iberia information site.

"IN CABIN TRAVEL: FLY WITH A SMALL DOG OR CAT
If your pet meets the requirements listed in Iberia Airlines pet policy to travel in-cabin, you will need an approved airline pet carrier. You must notify Iberia Airlines that you are traveling with a pet. Reservations cannot be made online. "

Iberia charge from as little as €30 for this service. This may well make it worth while the op considering flying from an alternative airport or taking a non direct flight.

We had some neighbours who travelled from Ireland to Madrid to Tenerife with a small dog, she sat under seat in a carrier, cost them 150e.

universal
18-01-2013, 13:01
For those with pets small enough to qualify for "in cabin travel" the rates with Iberia are as follows:
Charges for pets

Cabin rates for animals: PETC*
Domestic: € 25 per flight.
European, African (except Angola): € 50 per flight.
American flights: € 150 per flight.

* If you are travelling on an IB5000 (Vueling) flight connecting with a flight operated by Iberia or Iberia Regional, the cost of the service will be the same.
On IB5000 (Vueling) point-to-point flights or on journeys where IB5000 flights connect with another IB5000, the cost of the service switches to € 25 per leg on domestic routes and € 40 per leg on flights to/from the Canaries or international flights.
On IB5000 (Vueling) flights rodents animals will not be accepted.

Greg
18-01-2013, 15:51
here you go.. www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thomas_Cook_Airlines/pets.php :cheers:

universal
18-01-2013, 16:12
Try this option:
Thomas Cook -

Going Out
Aberdeen (ABZ) to Tenerife South (TFS)
Depart Arrive Flight Price(inc. taxes & fees)
Sun 02 Jun 2013 - 13:05
Aberdeen (ABZ) Sun 02 Jun 2013 - 17:55
Tenerife South (TFS) IWD3418
Orbest
ATOL Protected
Adult £135.49
Prices include taxes and fees

Pets@Home
19-01-2013, 09:56
ABZ to TFS, humans only not PETS, THOMAS COOK, are very misleading on their site, cater for Europe but def not above, but nice of u to look it up for her x

conandina
19-01-2013, 10:47
thanks everybody for taking the trouble to comment and look up options for me. The Aberdeen flight would have been ideal but as pets@home says they're not taking pets on that flight.
The idea of going other than a direct flight is not on. Poor cat will be stressed enough!
Nor is driving to an English airport - she hates the car and 4 hours will be more than long enough for her.

candy2411
19-01-2013, 12:39
You can get Feliway from your vet to spray inside of the carrying case. It helps calm anxiety in cats placed in stressful situations and would obviously help on a journey.

Apparently it's not permitted to sedate an animal on a flight but this product is not used on the cat but on its surroundings.

I do wonder though how your cat would cope with a 4 hour flight to Tenerife if a car journey of that length is too stressful. Remember though sometimes its the owner that feels the stress more than the pet.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck:goodluck:

BalancedBod
23-01-2013, 15:22
Hi, I have 3 cats (all neutered I hasten to add - I've read on here already about the problems with strays and unwanted kittens!) to transport from Edinburgh so would be good to know what solution you finally come up with. Sorry I can't help but ifI do find out anything I will send you a message.

conandina
23-01-2013, 23:46
Hi, I have 3 cats (all neutered I hasten to add - I've read on here already about the problems with strays and unwanted kittens!) to transport from Edinburgh so would be good to know what solution you finally come up with. Sorry I can't help but ifI do find out anything I will send you a message.

I'll let you know all the information I find out, hopefully soon.

conandina
08-02-2013, 13:56
Ok. (In particular for Balanced Bod but hopefully helpful to others also). Here is the information required for flying a pet from Scotland to Tenerife, which I have established after much investigation.

First of all, you can fly them from Edinburgh or Glasgow if there are suitable flights. Aberdeen flights don't take them.

The only airlines, which fly from Scotland, which take pets are Jet 2, Thomas Cook and Thomsons. So forget, Iberia, Monarch or Lufthansa.

I'm not so sure about Jet 2 but Thomas Cook insist that you use an agent and I understand from "petsathome" that Thomsons do as well.

For us, Thomsons are no use because we want to fly in June or July and they don't issue their flights for the summer until May. Personally, I think this is a ridiculous policy and absolutely no use to those of us who want to be organised in advance and I have to wonder how much they will be charging by that time for the flights.

We are, therefore, left with no choice but to use Thomas Cook (or Jet 2) from Glasgow as they are the only flights available. We have gone with an agent based in the UK but who have experience of flying to Tenerife and who provide us with the appropriate pet carrier, paperwork etc.

I would like to thank petsathome for her assistance and advice but as she only works with Thomsons, cannot help me.

I'd also like to dispel a myth, which caused me a great deal of concern. If the flight with the pet lands after the "customs" office at TFS is closed you can take your pet away and if necessary, and not organised in advance, you can go back to the airport up to 2 days later to pay any fee due. You will not be prevented from taking your pet just because it's out of hours.

Hope this helps and I will come back to this post in July and update how it all went.

Pets@Home
09-02-2013, 01:26
I have a letter fm Thompsons, who stress about clearance in advance, and also advise it.
If anyone would like the letter fm Thompson scanned to them, pls give me yr email address via p.m.

I only import via Thompsons, and export which is TFS to UK, with Monarch mainly and Thompsons as back up.
I send hundreds of animals back fm TFS to UK, and quite a few fm UK to TFS.

The clearance in advance is advised so that u are not held up in customs, as u will not have any customs form stamped or any out of hours fee paid, so its advisable to get a Broker to do it, or someone like myself, who go up, 48 hours pre flight, clears the animal, gets the AWB stamped, and pays whatever fees are due. With Thompsons u have to pay an inbound fee of 70 EUROS, and Monarch a 55 EUROS fee in advance. Possible because I have done it alot, and have been up there myself at night, it is advisable, because I can assure u, after 3pm, its all closed up, and the only staff there are the night staff, who cannot take yr money, or stamp yr AWB for customs, so advise is get someone to do it for u.

ALSO, Thompsons schedule for July is out Mid April, then the price will be known.

PETSATHOME TENERIFE, are proud to ANNOUNCE that they sent the first ever dog into EDI on the 5th FEB, fm the
Canary Islands as a Whole, because its just recently opened up there. This again was Thompsons, and all went well.