PDA

View Full Version : Other Such a shame to return home after our holiday in Tenerife, but life goes on

ezzy
15-01-2013, 13:25
Well me and the partner have since departed the gloriously sunny island that is Tenerife and have landed safely back in the snow! 27 degrees to minus 1 ouch!

Unfortunately we had a chunk of our spends stolen from our apartment; although we hid it, it didn't cross our mind to use the safe at cost of 30 euros. I guess we shouldn't have been so naive. It did spoil the jollybob a lil truth be told, like it would for anyone but we reverted to a few nights in courtesy of Iceland and Smirnoff ;)

We are hoping to return later in the year but this time were going to push the boat out and rent a car and isolate ourselves somewhere nearer Mount Tiede if possible.

Hope everyone is well :) adios amigos

Malteser Monkey
15-01-2013, 13:44
Well me and the partner have since departed the gloriously sunny island that is Tenerife and have landed safely back in the snow! 27 degrees to minus 1 ouch!

Unfortunately we had a chunk of our spends stolen from our apartment; although we hid it, it didn't cross our mind to use the safe at cost of 30 euros. I guess we shouldn't have been so naive. It did spoil the jollybob a lil truth be told, like it would for anyone but we reverted to a few nights in courtesy of Iceland and Smirnoff ;)

We are hoping to return later in the year but this time were going to push the boat out and rent a car and isolate ourselves somewhere nearer Mount Tiede if possible.

Hope everyone is well :) adios amigos

such a shame - I think a safe is a must these days

Some family members landed in Mainland Spain, drove to their accommodation (not a tourist resort by the way) stopped at the local supermarket to buy a few bits when they returned to their hired car their suitcases were gone - In broad daylight !!!!

B>>>>>>ds

They'll stop at nothing

ezzy
15-01-2013, 13:47
Well we learnt a hard lesson that's for a sure.
Sorry to hear that about your family members; how sad! I hope they found a way to overcome it and enjoy themselves but it is hard! Bless them

Malteser Monkey
15-01-2013, 13:49
Well we learnt a hard lesson that's for a sure.
Sorry to hear that about your family members; how sad! I hope they found a way to overcome it and enjoy themselves but it is hard! Bless them

Yes after they got over the shock

Thanks

Welcome from me

Vortex Wake
15-01-2013, 14:13
Why not let us know the apartments?

I have been in apartments where the patio doors are held shut by only a split pin (which the cleaner often forgot to re insert on the ground floor apartment :(

I always use a safe , BUT , some are of poor quality.

ezzy
15-01-2013, 14:20
Why not let us know the apartments?

I have been in apartments where the patio doors are held shut by only a split pin (which the cleaner often forgot to re insert on the ground floor apartment :(

I always use a safe , BUT , some are of poor quality.

Hi Vortex, the apartments were the Bungalow Barranco in Playa de las Americas.

Unfortunately the safe was only able to store money; begs the question whether they would have taken something just as valuable as none of these other said items would have fit. We will do our research in future or just withdraw from our bank accounts as we go along. I had a Santander account from when I worked in Tenerife five years ago but whether this is still accessible is another question.

tfs1
15-01-2013, 15:16
€30 to use an apartment safe does seem a very excessive charge - did that also include a refundable deposit ?

chifleta
15-01-2013, 15:23
It must be awful having your things stolen.... and the suitcases out of the car in broad daylight!? was the car unlocked or were they visible?

I've heard so many stories that even when we go to Mercadona, I always say to OH let's put our gym rucksacks in the boot, I don't want anyone looking in the car and being tempted to break the window just to see what's in the bags, so I never leave anything visible.

We had our car stereo ripped out of our old car many many moons ago, and it's made us more wary, and the lock was pulled out of the door (a Renault 5) and the stereo was just wrenched out, and this was broad daylight parked down in a very busy area where the Americas market used to be, down by the sea.

ezzy
15-01-2013, 15:28
€30 to use an apartment safe does seem a very excessive charge - did that also include a refundable deposit ?

Nope :crazy:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It must be awful having your things stolen.... and the suitcases out of the car in broad daylight!? was the car unlocked or were they visible?

I've heard so many stories that even when we go to Mercadona, I always say to OH let's put our gym rucksacks in the boot, I don't want anyone looking in the car and being tempted to break the window just to see what's in the bags, so I never leave anything visible.

We had our car stereo ripped out of our old car many many moons ago, and it's made us more wary, and the lock was pulled out of the door (a Renault 5) and the stereo was just wrenched out, and this was broad daylight parked down in a very busy area where the Americas market used to be, down by the sea.

Hi Chifleta, it is such a shame these things happen. I did say to my partner at the time that it could of been worse but that didn't go down to well at the time :twak:

deepdivejunkie
15-01-2013, 15:35
Surely, if the apartments are for letting to tourists, the owner, or company letting them out have a suitable insurance policy in place for each apartment?

honda
15-01-2013, 15:35
A friend of mine had his car window smashed because he had 200 ciggies on back seat.

chifleta
15-01-2013, 15:39
Nope :crazy:

Hi Chifleta, it is such a shame these things happen. I did say to my partner at the time that it could of been worse but that didn't go down to well at the time :twak:

hahaha I bet it didn't go down well........ i've had a go at my son when he lost his house keys as I've never lost my keys.... although last year I did drop them down the gap in the lift shaft after just coming home from 4 hours of fishing, hot n sweaty and gagging for a cup of tea.... OH was not impressed, but he kindly kept his gob firmly shut ..... he said later he knew if i'd asked me what my reaction would have been if he'd drop it down the shaft, that would have slapped him ... he knows if it had been him or our son I would have gone ape.... but as it was me (the normally perfect Chifleta) we all kept our mouths shut, I was angry enough at myself, but people would have thought me mad if I'd had a go at myself :crazy:

Malteser Monkey
15-01-2013, 15:42

They were in the boot and they smashed the back windows in............in broad daylight

ezzy
15-01-2013, 15:44
Perfect people don't need to make a point as to ones perfection as such a person does not exist haha

Your poor son! Tut tut, one rule for one ;)

Again I was merely trying to make light of a bad situation when i said that yes we all need money but we no doubt would of frittered it away seeing as we had been saving for a few months; again this didn't go down well either :raspberry2:

chifleta
15-01-2013, 15:49
Perfect people don't need to make a point as to ones perfection as such a person does not exist haha

Your poor son! Tut tut, one rule for one ;)

Again I was merely trying to make light of a bad situation when i said that yes we all need money but we no doubt would of frittered it away seeing as we had been saving for a few months; again this didn't go down well either :raspberry2:

I bet her anger at your foot in mouth disease made her forget about the theft for a few minutes at least though LOL

murph
15-01-2013, 16:37
or just withdraw from our bank accounts as we go along. I had a Santander account from when I worked in Tenerife five years ago but whether this is still accessible is another question.

I have one of these fancy add ons to my bank account these days.
Costs £10 per month, but includes 12 months Family Travel Insurance (and good Cover), 12 months car breakdown recovery, 12 months iphone insurance (europe wide) identity pretection etc.

But my favourite bit is that it allows unlimited free cash withdrawals anywhere in the world for the year.

So if I am in Tenerife, America or wherever I just get out the minimum I need each day.

If I lose my card (or it gets stolen), I just have to find a HSBC bank - they do seem to be pretty much anywhere - and I can get money etc.

ezzy
15-01-2013, 17:20
Oh Murp this is good! Major perk indeed

I bet her anger at your foot in mouth disease made her forget about the theft for a few minutes at least though LOL

It did indeed :-)

A friend of mine had his car window smashed because he had 200 ciggies on back seat.

People will stop at nothing, such a shame