PDA

View Full Version : Other Goodbye Tenerife. Till 2014 anyway

malagabob
16-01-2013, 12:00
We have been coming to Tenerife for many years. But have now decided to go else where this year. Maybe Gran Canary. We have not been there since 1990.
We have come to this decision after experiencing the downturn in the general atmosphere that Tenerife once had.
Its happening in Benidorm (personal experience) and its happening in Tenerife. Empty bars, overpriced drinks, lack of good entertainment etc.

slodgedad
16-01-2013, 22:23
We have been coming to Tenerife for many years. But have now decided to go else where this year. Maybe Gran Canary. We have not been there since 1990.
We have come to this decision after experiencing the downturn in the general atmosphere that Tenerife once had.
Its happening in Benidorm (personal experience) and its happening in Tenerife. Empty bars, overpriced drinks, lack of good entertainment etc.

If you're expecting things to be better in GC, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

The recession has hit everywhere.

Problem is that people expect cheap drinks and top notch entertainment when there are only 10 in the bar as opposed to 100.

Before you say it's the prices, most of those who tried the cheap way are now in the UK.

9PLUS
16-01-2013, 23:30
When you used to go to Tenerife 25 years ago things were a lot cheaper

cheers

nelson
17-01-2013, 09:06
Everyone involved in the tourist industry in Tenerife has to take notice of disgruntled customers and listen to their viewpoint and respect it.

This poster is clearly out of the frying pan into the fire, as gc will be same as Tenerife in what they are going to find when they get there.

The canaries have winter sun, that's the big assets, but many rivals have summer sun.the canaries are past the boom years, the euro means that the canaries looses to many none euro destinations , there has to be a willingness for the canaries to adapt to these new times and change with them.

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 09:49
malagabob, nelsons just angry because he was fined by the Canary Islands tourist board for renting to tourists without a license and not having the correct paperwork in the event of a client wanting to complain.

Ecky Thump
17-01-2013, 11:14
Everyone involved in the tourist industry in Tenerife has to take notice of disgruntled customers and listen to their viewpoint and respect it.

This poster is clearly out of the frying pan into the fire, as gc will be same as Tenerife in what they are going to find when they get there.

The canaries have winter sun, that's the big assets, but many rivals have summer sun.the canaries are past the boom years, the euro means that the canaries looses to many none euro destinations , there has to be a willingness for the canaries to adapt to these new times and change with them.

malagabob, nelsons just angry because he was fined by the Canary Islands tourist board for renting to tourists without a license and not having the correct paperwork in the event of a client wanting to complain.

Without having the issue of Nelson for having been fined for some irregularity over letting procedures his post is spot on, Tenerife does have winter sun, but a islands tourist industry can't survive on this alone, you have the other six months to consider, undoubtedly the laws on letting are being felt, also the increase in hotel groups offering all inclusive holidays, plus all the other punitive measures that the government and other local authorities are using to increase their revenue.
I heard last night from friends that have just returned from Turkey, that some of the hotels there that offer all inclusive deals are limiting the "Free, drinks and all-day food" to five days and on the other two days the customers have to pay cash/credit-card within the hotel or use local cafes and bars....maybe this would help Tenerife.

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 11:46
I see plenty of people about most weeks

malagabob just been doing the same thing for way too long.

Benidorm never had what Tenerife has,

Benidorm is the Blackpool of Spain it always was like that created for the working class.

Fivepence
17-01-2013, 12:02

Benidorm is the Blackpool of Spain it always was like that created for the working class.

I think 9PLUS has probably hit the nail on the head, after visiting once a year from 1992 and twice a year from 2001, my wife decided it was time for a change.
We haven't been since.
I must admit that I have missed my winter holiday on the island though and she has mentioned returning this year.

Ecky Thump
17-01-2013, 12:03

Its the working class that gave Tenerife the money to build it's infrastructure, without it.....Los Christianos/Americas would still be fishing villages and dirt tracks.

The working class reversed the process in Tenerife.

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 12:17
Dont get stuck in the past,

People have moved on from going away and getting ****** out of their head every single day and eating beans and bacon they bring with them.

Tenerife is preparing for the future.

Tenerife is preparing a standard.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I think 9PLUS has probably hit the nail on the head, after visiting once a year from 1992 and twice a year from 2001, my wife decided it was time for a change.
We haven't been since.
I must admit that I have missed my winter holiday on the island though and she has mentioned returning this year.

Those people I'd spoken to in 2010-2011 that hadn't been back to Tenerife for some years mostly due to the constant pestering by Timeshare touts & PR's were surprised at how well the island looks and had returned in 2012.

Ecky Thump
17-01-2013, 12:24
Dont get stuck in the past,

People have moved on from going away and getting ****** out of their head every single day and eating beans and bacon they bring with them.

How, by making it more expensive to holiday, by making it prohibitive to the masses of working class folk that have visited and helped the place happily prosper for many years, part of it, is now and will still have to be....egg, beans and bacon!
People that eat caviar for breakfast would only benefit a few.

Those people I'd spoken to in 2010-2011 that hadn't been back to Tenerife for some years mostly due to the constant pestering by Timeshare touts & PR's were surprised at how well the island looks and had returned in 2012.

PR's and lookie lookie men, still in abundance, lots of threads about them....so no change on that front.

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 12:33
Bacon & eggs vs Cavier?

You're talking about 2 extremes so that point has no basis for a conversation.

Do you expect it to remain the same price forever? you've got more sense than that Ecky

Ecky Thump
17-01-2013, 12:45
Bacon & eggs vs Cavier?

You're talking about 2 extremes so that point has no basis for a conversation.

Do you expect it to remain the same price forever? you've got more sense than that Ecky

In my past experience of 35 years of visiting Tenerife, prices have and always changed, yet the holiday makers have returned, in my opinion its the world wide recession that has caused the downward trend of visitors to Tenerife....not the standards that have existed for many years, yes, I do believe, just like all holiday resorts over the world, that there is room for change, but punitive costly measures that are being enforced in Tenerife, are not I think the answer.

PS. I don't see egg and bacon vs caviar extreme, as I enjoy both...but in different quantities.....Now I don't want a response of Pfttt:D

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 12:47
punitive costly measures that are being enforced in Tenerife, are not I think the answer.

Does this just come down to illegal renting again ?

Ecky Thump
17-01-2013, 12:52
Does this just come down to illegal renting again ?

Honestly....yes!!:o

But there are plenty of other panic measures that are being enforced that are doing no good at all and I know you are aware of them.

TF1
17-01-2013, 12:54
In all honesty, having had the experience of working in and around Benidorm, no comparison can be made regarding the class of tourism or tourists between the two destinations. Tenerife has always been miles ahead.
Like Tenerife, Benidorm is trying to upgrade its image and facilities. Tenerife has the advantage of year round tourist-friendly climate, so will hopefully get there faster due to more constant revenue.
Those who try to hang onto the past are just going to get left behind. The industry is evolving, like it or not.
Gran Canaria (Puerto Rico, etc) is more like Benidorm was 10 years ago; cheesy, tacky and downmarket. There are some nice areas like Puerto Mogan, but quality is very isolated there.

Davie Thistle
17-01-2013, 12:57
The prices and standards ofTenerife don,t and wont
Put us off visiting the Island
It,s the cost of flying to Tenerife that stops us
Going twice + a year.
We have now restricted it to once a year and
Twice to Majorca now.
Otherwize we would gladly hit the Reef three times a year!!

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 12:59
Yeah ecky so head up...........................dear

x

Albatros
17-01-2013, 13:03
My tuppence worth ...

Tenerife is great for winter sun, possibly the best. The south is not pretty and feels like a jungle to me. (the odd exception). The north is a much nicer place visually and for quality dining and entertainment.

With the beautiful places that were within the eastern bloc opening up, I have to say that competition for summer vacations will only get stiffer.

Tenerife is NOT a cheap destination. Not all tourists smoke or drink excessively. That will be a declining attraction.

Ecky Thump
17-01-2013, 13:11
Tenerife has the advantage of year round tourist-friendly climate, so will hopefully get there faster due to more constant revenue.
Those who try to hang onto the past are just going to get left behind. .

There lies the problem. there is no increase in constant revenue arriving in Tenerife, increasing the amount of "all inclusive" hotels and raising airport costs to airlines, or building a couple of five star hotels, will not resolve the problem.

I don't think people are trying to hang on to the past, we all see (I hope) that standards need to constantly improve and many of the smaller bars and restaurants are trying, but without mass tourism, there is little hope for their survival.

madness1
17-01-2013, 13:59
You don't get many spare seats on the flights to Tenerife these days so people are still coming here in numbers.
I am stunned you think it is expensive here because it isn't there are things to do for all budgets,you can get your cheap crappy 3 euro breakfast to 5 star dining the choice is yours.
Grand Canaria will be no different but a change is always nice so enjoy.

nelson
17-01-2013, 14:23
certainley it is not all about illegal letting, but the illegal letting crackdown is an event in itself that has come about directly as a result of decline in tourism in the canaries. It is the poor performance of the hotels in the early crissis year of 2008 that got them demanding the crackdown. They asked for this , after 13 years of accepting the private renting industry, simply because given the daft law existed they thought if the law is enforced, then all these private renting customers will return to our accomodations, and our troubles will be over. At the end of the day these hotels will have been struggling since the euro came in, no way could joining that high value foreign currency could that move actually benefit spain and the canaries. This move would only ever result in spain losing out to the cheaper non euro destinations. I think we have to look back at that trend from before the crisis and the crackdown, when we consider where we are now.

As for moving with the times, internet selling is a growing trend. UK retail internet sales were up 18% this december, and this trend is continuing. The internet holiday rentals sites are promoting private rented apartments worldwide, customers want to book these places and their flights all online. The internet sites use the fact that they are offering someones personal private holiday home as the main selling point, this is the main selling point of the advert. As we know the canarian govt is at the moment violently attacking this exciting and growing part of the tourist industry. Private renting is not all the tourist industry, in the canaries or worldwide, but to try to attack and destroy it today in 2008- 2013 is totally insane, and in my view criminally iresponsible on the part of tourismo, who are duty bound to assist the tourist industry in the islands, and to help all this industry in the best interests of the canarian population.

Attacking and seeking to destroy individual private renters , who promote the islands and bring customers via the internet, e commerce is not something that should be happening at all.

Albatros
17-01-2013, 14:38
You don't get many spare seats on the flights to Tenerife these days so people are still coming here in numbers.
I am stunned you think it is expensive here because it isn't there are things to do for all budgets,you can get your cheap crappy 3 euro breakfast to 5 star dining the choice is yours.
Grand Canaria will be no different but a change is always nice so enjoy.

Airline companies have reduced the number of flights to ensure full flights.

it may not be very expensive once on Tenerife but to most people the holiday includes the flight. The total package is expensive.

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 14:52
People can still get the holiday home experience in a legal complex.

nelson
17-01-2013, 16:12
People can still get the holiday home experience in a legal complex.

that may be so, but there are not enough available beds in the legal self catering complex,s to take all the so called illegal ones. Plus some of the legal complex,s available are down market shabby relics, under the rule of exploitive sole agents. The well healed customers who have been enjoying many years of holidays in the superb private apartment of their choice , quite simply will not be brow beaten into considering being forced into them. Not for you, tourismo, the canarian govt or anyone else.

Its the first rule of business, the customer is king, respond to what the customer actually wants, not some far off plan based on mass tourism of 30 years ago, package deals, package accomodation and package flights.

Remember the corrupt individuals who have forced this crackdown to start want the customers out of the private apartments and into the hotels. The crackdown has nothing to do with getting customers out of illegal self catering apartments and into legal self catering apartments.

Airline companies have reduced the number of flights to ensure full flights.

it may not be very expensive once on Tenerife but to most people the holiday includes the flight. The total package is expensive.

quite correct, and believe me the internet ad sites are sending the punters to all the other destinations so the flight companies arejust putting the planes onto other routes , the canaries are the loser. Its the case that the numbers of potential customers using the internet apartment websites will have grown since 2008, and will continue to grow, the fact that the canaries are excluding themselves from this market is insane, and as i say , no reasoned argument could be made for the canarian govt to do this, it flys in the case of commercial reason and what would be best for the canarian economy and people. No outside independant body could be asked to analyise what the canarian govt are doing and conclude that it is the wise and sensible thing to do.

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 18:17
The Sole Agent is a great way forward for tourism in the Canary Islands.

Clearly a leader of the future.

Fivepence
17-01-2013, 18:44

That would be the Soul Agent, perhaps 9PLUS.....:whistle:

Albatros
17-01-2013, 20:05

Would they move with the times and capabilities available on the internet by displaying the actual room that would be involved in the transaction?

Personally I find the private adverts far more appealing as they describe and present the actual apartment. Yes, there is a level of trust involved but generally I have found them to be fair and honest representations.

Displaying a 'typical' apartment that is nothing like the one that a person gets is false advertising IMO.

warbey
17-01-2013, 20:16
I too will not visit Tenerife this Year, sadly.

O.H. wants a change, and I am concerned at the Crime wave with Pickpockets etc

So perhaps only some Standards are being improved?

I love the Island, but Love is not always Blind..

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 21:12
They'd put a Policeman on every street corner but you'd complain it costs too much to come to Tenerife and there was a full on Police presence.

tub
17-01-2013, 21:20
we come to tenerife and go to benidorm they are two different holidays. Benidorm is a quick break in the sun with all the entertainment you can take while tenerife is for a longer stay with not such a hectic pace but it is a lot nicer

warbey
17-01-2013, 21:22
They'd put a Policeman on every street corner but you'd complain it costs too much to come to Tenerife and there was a full on Police presence.

Ever thought of becoming a Politician?

I say it as I see it.

ezzy
17-01-2013, 22:34
Hmm from my experience when flying out from Manchester two weeks ago our flight was full to the brim with three flights going out that day. Of course like anywhere representing the Euro prices go up but that's never been any different! We found many a bar reflecting prices for drinks on par with the uk but we don't do free pouring lol! So that could be argued and if you actually seek out authentic Spanish bars/restaurants your less likely to pay the higher prices put in place purely for the westernised wanderers ;) maybe I'm biased but I returned after five years and there were plenty of holiday makers soaking up the winter sun and having returned to the uk, know of people who have booked many a cheap deal in the coming months. I think some expect the earth and more, Benidorm in my opinion is tacky and much more commercial but I guess thats personal opinion as such.

I don't suppose my little meltdown helped while on the island but I will be protective of such a place that displays beauty and relaxation in abundance.

#slides down off her soap box#

candy2411
17-01-2013, 22:54

I love the Island, but Love is not always Blind..

sorry you feel that warbey, but remember nowhere is truly safe and crime-free these days unfortunately,

maybe if you holiday somewhere else you will realise how wonderful Tenerife is. I've visited lots of places over the years but nowhere can compare:)

9PLUS
17-01-2013, 23:13
Take a holiday in Wrexham crime wave of Wales

pablo1
17-01-2013, 23:46
[QUOTE=9PLUS;254321]Dont get stuck in the past,

Eh? I only go to Tenerife to get off my head and eat a full English - I expect at least 6 visits this year so those who can't make it I'll get extra smashed for you..

9PLUS
18-01-2013, 00:15
With him as an exception

pablo1
18-01-2013, 00:47
With him as an exceptional person who rocks

Edited for accuracy.. :-)

blondie
18-01-2013, 15:03
Edited for accuracy.. :-)

My god what a stooshie because someone wants to try another holiday destination but we have been there , done that and like us they will be back in Tenerife with all its ups and downs. I must admit to having some apprehension on coming on Sunday with the reports on thieving etc. but will just have to be extra cautious. I certainly wont let anyone stop me from coming to my second home, not yet anyway, but I will report on my return.

Redips
18-01-2013, 15:57
A recent documentry on earlier this week put Barcelona at the top of the pickpocket and petty crime list in the whole of Europe, with many other Spanish towns and resorts suffering the same problems.

Any opportunist thief will take advantage if you are not carefull no matter where in the world you may be. There has been an increase of pickpocketing and shoplifting in the UK. When times are hard such as in this ongoing recession petty crime escalates.

The advice given on the programme was. Take care of your valuables, dont put wallets in back pockets, loop bags over your head and keep them in front of you, be aware of strangers who try to befriend you by putting thier arms around you, these thieves often work in pairs or even groups, dont leave anything you value unattended even for a short period of time, if you leave it you may loose it.

Be aware, be carefull, report all crime, make others aware. but enjoy yourselves and have fun and please dont blame Tenerife for a worldwide problem

warbey
18-01-2013, 21:04
My god what a stooshie because someone wants to try another holiday destination but we have been there , done that and like us they will be back in Tenerife with all its ups and downs. I must admit to having some apprehension on coming on Sunday with the reports on thieving etc. but will just have to be extra cautious. I certainly wont let anyone stop me from coming to my second home, not yet anyway, but I will report on my return.

Quite true.

I once wished I were at Tenerife when sitting on Wai Kiki Beach Honolulu.

so Yes, Ive done it too!

SVFUN
18-01-2013, 22:41
How as some have stated that Tenerife isnt a cheap destination ....This Dec i got there for 90 return ..and some places selling pints for 80 pence upto 7pm ...and packet meals from Iceland ..not cheap do me a favour :crazy:

ezzy
18-01-2013, 23:10
I was surprised at the prices in Iceland; I was expecting them to be much higher but they are very competitive

9PLUS
18-01-2013, 23:12
Icelands prices dropped a few years back

marbro8
18-01-2013, 23:16
Would they move with the times and capabilities available on the internet by displaying the actual room that would be involved in the transaction?

Personally I find the private adverts far more appealing as they describe and present the actual apartment. Yes, there is a level of trust involved but generally I have found them to be fair and honest representations.

Displaying a 'typical' apartment that is nothing like the one that a person gets is false advertising IMO.thank god we like my welsh cousins:laugh:

I love the Island, but Love is not always Blind..i have been done mate but it hasn't put me off, it was 2 years ago now and at least i was laughing while he was robbing me:laugh: honestly he was making me laugh:laugh: so at least it wasn't a violent robbery, but having that experience and with all the info on here i really don't think it would happen again:spin:

I was surprised at the prices in Iceland; I was expecting them to be much higher but they are very competitive hoarse meat is cheap nowerdays:wink2:

Suej
19-01-2013, 13:01
Icelands prices dropped a few years back

So did the quality of the beefburgers!:wink:

How as some have stated that Tenerife isnt a cheap destination ....This Dec i got there for 90 return ..and some places selling pints for 80 pence upto 7pm ...and packet meals from Iceland ..not cheap do me a favour :crazy:

Yep! You can make your holiday as cheap or as expensive as you like! your choice! Our rellies go to Iceland and get a couple of Pizzas the odd night get a bottle of wine and a fresh bag of green salad from Mercadona and just enjoy sitting on their own balcony! the whole lot comes to under 10 euros for the pair of them!:)

caroll72
19-01-2013, 19:43
We wanted to come to Tenerife for a month in january, but were put off by the increase in crime, even a friend of ours was robbed while out there recently.

Also, the cost of flights & finding a affordable yet not illegal property to rent.
We settled for a month in Egypt all inclusive, for a fraction of the price & the weather is lovely.

Tenerife will need to get its act together, especially in relation to crime otherwise people will go elsewhere.

warbey
19-01-2013, 19:56
We wanted to come to Tenerife for a month in january, but were put off by the increase in crime, even a friend of ours was robbed while out there recently.

Also, the cost of flights & finding a affordable yet not illegal property to rent.
We settled for a month in Egypt all inclusive, for a fraction of the price & the weather is lovely.

Tenerife will need to get its act together, especially in relation to crime otherwise people will go elsewhere.

Not just Me then.?

.....I'll be back.

caroll72
19-01-2013, 20:13
And just to add, as a afterthought, for all us smokers.
Hotels, Bars, even shops, allow us to light up still :raspberry2:

candy2411
19-01-2013, 20:56
Hotels, Bars, even shops, allow us to light up still :raspberry2:

well that is great news for all us asthma sufferers whose asthma is triggered by cigarette smoke! one less smoker in Tenerife!:raspberry:

marbro8
19-01-2013, 21:01
Not just Me then.?

.....I'll be back.hope to see you soon then arni:wink2:

Hotels, Bars, even shops, allow us to light up still :raspberry2:cough cough WHAT?:laugh::wink2:

tfs1
19-01-2013, 21:18
Hotels, Bars, even shops, allow us to light up still

I have nothing against smokers, I was one 20 years ago but gave up - how do you manage in the UK ? and how do you manage on such long flights ?

Slightly off topic - If I was still smoking the current TV adverts would certainly make me think about giving up !

marbro8
19-01-2013, 21:28
I have nothing against smokers, I was one 20 years ago but gave up - how do you manage in the UK ? and how do you manage on such long flights ?

Slightly off topic - If I was still smoking the current TV adverts would certainly make me think about giving up !off topic again but i used to smoke every time i went out on a friday and saturday night??? and wouldn't touch another until the following weekend lol, so when i packed up it was easy because i just stopped going out with my mates lol, i must admit i do get the urge now and again when out but i think it is just in the mind:crazy:

candy2411
19-01-2013, 21:29
well that is great news for all us asthma sufferers whose asthma is triggered by cigarette smoke! one less smoker in Tenerife!:raspberry:

no offence meant BUT it is veeeerrryyyy personal!