PDA

View Full Version : Veronicas spoof evokes fury

Canarian Weekly
18-01-2013, 13:00
“Fools” story widely condemned by tourist board, town halls, tour operators, business owners and tourists.
A Spanish April Fools story about the demolition of the Veronicas strip has left business owners, workers and tourists furious.
The Town Hall and tourist board were aghast at the report.
It began as a simple joke, understood mainly by the Spanish speaking community, to others it caused horror and fury on reading.
The story has potentially damaged the livelihood of over 30 businesses in the Veronicas area, with hundreds of workers fearing for their jobs and put into jeopardy the numbers of tourists visiting the area as some are changing their holiday destination as a result of unfounded reports spreading to online forums and social networking sites on the internet.
Canarian Weekly have been in discussion with the authorities and the message confirmed by Arona Ayuntamiento is that Veronicas is NOT being demolished and that there are currently NO immediate plans to make any changes.
Veronicas originally was constructed in the mid 1970’s and was originally designated to be shops and restaurants. Now it’s a mecca for the younger tourist looking for outstanding nightlife.
As the years have rolled on the Veronicas image has received a lot of bad press, and has been the topic of much rumour and speculation. Even now television production companies contact Canarian Weekly asking for help to recreate the ‘Tenerife Uncovered’ experience to which they receive short shrift.
But, this time the bad press which the iconic Veronicas areas received was unjustified.
The four separate buildings which make up Veronicas known as ‘the strip’ now play host to a number of businesses which target the 18-24 year old tourist. The area is cleaner and tidier than many UK city centres at the weekend!
Niel Hayhoe, Area Manager, Holiday Experience, TUI told Canarian Weekly, “Veronicas is very popular with our younger clientele staying within the area.”
Thomas Cook informed us that, “Club 18-30, one of the UK’s most famous youth brands is moving back to Tenerife this summer. The summer season begins on the 25th May and goes through to the 20th September.” Obviously, Veronicas is the ideal place for that market to visit during the evening.
One business owner who wished not to be named said, “We all love a good joke but front page headline news in a Tenerife based English language newspaper aimed at British tourists and residents about our bars being demolished in three months, is not a joke”
Worry not, Veronicas is not being turned into an ecological banana plantation – it’s still the place for a great night out!

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/veronicas-spoof-evokes-fury/)

CIM
18-01-2013, 17:22
Rightly so, it was a pretty stupid thing to publish especially given that a lot of people reading the story would have no idea whatsoever that it was a joke and the publishers must have known that - thoughtless, unfunny and irresponsible.
Not the first time they have done this either...

murph
18-01-2013, 18:31
From the article ...... ''The story has potentially damaged the livelihood of over 30 businesses in the Veronicas area, with hundreds of workers fearing for their jobs and put into jeopardy the numbers of tourists visiting the area as some are changing their holiday destination as a result of unfounded reports spreading to online forums and social networking sites on the internet.''

Really?

I mean did people REALLY, immediately run out and book holidays elsewhere that morning on the basis of the story?

Even in the UK it was seen for what it was a couple of hours after publication - and we know little about the festival!

Scaremongering Rubbish

Vortex Wake
18-01-2013, 18:54
From the article ...... ''The story has potentially damaged the livelihood of over 30 businesses in the Veronicas area, with hundreds of workers fearing for their jobs and put into jeopardy the numbers of tourists visiting the area as some are changing their holiday destination as a result of unfounded reports spreading to online forums and social networking sites on the internet.''

Really?

I mean did people REALLY, immediately run out and book holidays elsewhere that morning on the basis of the story?

Even in the UK it was seen for what it was a couple of hours after publication - and we know little about the festival!

Scaremongering Rubbish

Steady ;) This hoax will re emerge again and again on the internet now - and people WILL believe its true (just see the nonsense that educated folk re send on Facebook).

Daily Mail apparently published a story about a Google Streetview camera car running over a donkey recently - this again was a hoax that has been doing the rounds . I 'm not suggesting the Mail is anything other than a tosh daily - but people DO believe all they read.

CIM
18-01-2013, 19:47
If my memory is correct the story continued onto page 8,where I/C printed another story telling people what day it was!!!
Why is it "SO" many people only read half a page???
If you live here you should know when spain,s april fools day (dia de los Inocentes)is!!!!!

We live o a holiday island - full of holiday makers who have no idea its fools day - hence the problems and people being rather ****** off about it. Then there´s the inevitable rumour mill where only half the story is passed along.
Like I said before, not the first time something as stupid as this has happened, another "story" was to do with ownership and property that also scared a lot if people unnecessarily and one which I personally heard repeated for months and months afterwards.

irishmusico
18-01-2013, 20:01
I am furious about this. I think its disgraceful. I was about to book an exotic holiday on a plantation,now I have been told it's a load of bananas.

macdonald5
18-01-2013, 20:17
I am furious about this. I think its disgraceful. I was about to book an exotic holiday on a plantation,now I have been told it's a load of bananas.

And we were going to sell them some Scottish compost to grow the bananas !!

warbey
18-01-2013, 21:25
30 Businesses and HUNDREDS of Workers. They may have counted the Braiders and Lookie Men too...:jumping::jumping: :nono::nono:.

murph
18-01-2013, 21:31
30 Businesses and HUNDREDS of Workers. They may have counted the Braiders and Lookie Men too...:jumping::jumping: :nono::nono:.

Spot on - the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

I understand where you are coming from V W, but seriously, if Veronica's is 'Your Thing', if Veronica's what makes your holiday, you are going to check things out, even if its just with a friend or a travel agent.

Davie Thistle
18-01-2013, 21:32
.........a forgoonisache, It's a joke?!?
I thought it was troo!
we were all out celebrating!!!

:crylaughing:

slodgedad
19-01-2013, 02:37
I can't understand the furore.

This rumour has been a regular occurence i Tenerife for the past 20 years.

Why get annoyed when it is an 'April Fools' prank.

When in Rome...........