PDA

View Full Version : My laptop is driving me mad, yet again!

penelope pitstop
19-01-2013, 11:33
Why does my laptop keep 'not responding', the cursor freezing on the page & sometimes when I type it takes a view seconds for what I have typed to show up?

I use Google Chrome for accessing everything, so uninstalled it in case it was the causing the problem, then when I clicked on my desktop icons for Hotmail etc I couldn't open them, so had to re-install Google Chrome again!

I also have a Norton anti virus, which I need to keep for online banking protection. I had uninstalled it & used a free one, but that did not really make any difference to the problem.

It is extremely frustrating.

Please kindly reply in simple terms as I am not very computer literate, even after over 20 yrs of using them!!!!!!!!!

Ecky Thump
19-01-2013, 11:37
I have the same problem, so you are not alone.

Maybe its time for us to return to using pen and ink!!:sorry:

karinagal
19-01-2013, 11:45
If it was me, I would take the laptop to a shop or individual who can cast a professional eye on the problem and either fix it for you or sell you a new one. The kind of problems you are getting might indicate that the solution required is out with your level of expertise.. I have had similar problems. I took it back to factory settings and ran a series of housekeeping programmes in an attempt to solve it - nothing worked. I'm saving up for a new one.... I use my iPad most of the time anyway! Sorry.

delderek
19-01-2013, 12:30
Why does my laptop keep 'not responding', the cursor freezing on the page & sometimes when I type it takes a view seconds for what I have typed to show up?

I use Google Chrome for accessing everything, so uninstalled it in case it was the causing the problem, then when I clicked on my desktop icons for Hotmail etc I couldn't open them, so had to re-install Google Chrome again!

I also have a Norton anti virus, which I need to keep for online banking protection. I had uninstalled it & used a free one, but that did not really make any difference to the problem.

It is extremely frustrating.

Please kindly reply in simple terms as I am not very computer literate, even after over 20 yrs of using them!!!!!!!!!

Your OS is obviously corrupt. (Probably caused by too many un-installs and re-installs) Back up all your files and reload Windows, then reload your programmes. Except for Norton, which is awful software and never really uninstalls properly.

Albatros
19-01-2013, 12:31
It seems to me that you have had more problems with your laptop than I have had in all my years. Without knowing the age, model and operating system it is hard to offer advice.

Are you taking regular backups? If not you should be. If so, then restore it to a time when it worked. Over time Windows operating systems get all clogged up with junk. Registries contain obsolete stuff etc.

Given the level of problems, it does seem like a complete rebuild of your laptop software is needed. (After taking appropriate backup(s) of course.)

TOTO 99
19-01-2013, 12:47
PP, I think, as has been said, that the main problem is your own lack of computer knowledge which is holding you back. Not everyone is computer savvy.
Take it to someone who can clean it up for you. It shouldn't be expensive and it'll save all the stress you're suffering.

Until you have done this I would strongly advise that you don't use it for any further banking transactions.

Suej
19-01-2013, 12:54
I have to agree with the posts above pp! the more you are messing about with it the worse it will get! Best to take it somewhere and maybe get windows reinstalled from scratch get them to back up everything for you! best not try and do this yourself if you don't know what you are doing! Good luck!

YOUNG GOLFER
19-01-2013, 14:38
Go buy a iPad pp should solve all your problems.

Albatros
19-01-2013, 15:04

Learning curve may prove to be a problem. :spin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WuHzE-1fk

penelope pitstop
19-01-2013, 16:16
I have the same problem, so you are not alone.

Maybe its time for us to return to using pen and ink!!:sorry:

I think you are right it is definitely quicker!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Your OS is obviously corrupt. (Probably caused by too many un-installs and re-installs) Back up all your files and reload Windows, then reload your programmes. Except for Norton, which is awful software and never really uninstalls properly.

Thanks, but I am not computer literate enough to do this. I think I will eventually have to buy a replacement as my laptop is old. I have already spent enough on this one having things done.

PP, I think, as has been said, that the main problem is your own lack of computer knowledge which is holding you back. Not everyone is computer savvy.
Take it to someone who can clean it up for you. It shouldn't be expensive and it'll save all the stress you're suffering.

Until you have done this I would strongly advise that you don't use it for any further banking transactions.

Why do you say nt to use it for banking at the moment?

The only trouble with the iPad is there is no where for discs! Not sure I'd get on with e touch screen either!

TOTO 99
19-01-2013, 16:30
Sorry Penelope pitstop I wouldn't wish to alarm you but just in case you have some kind of computer virus lurking in there it's safest not to use it for banking.

Long story short, some of your information such as passwords etc can be stolen by the clever criminals who put the virus there in the first place.

delderek
19-01-2013, 20:14
It is not difficult to reload windows,,,if you have disc, just load it,,,if not, type in the search box recovery options depending on the make of computer you will be given options. If you haven't made any backups of your files then you will lose them. But the first rule of any computing is MAKE BACKUPS, because one day whatever computer you have, you will get grief.

warbey
19-01-2013, 20:17
Long distance fixes are few and far between.

Are You sure Your Broadband Connection is O.K.

Apart from that, cc cleaner and regular defrags are good housekeeping We should all do regularly., peeps.!

timmylish
19-01-2013, 20:49
PP. If we could go back about 30 months ago, probably about the time you joined the original Forum I seem to recall you having one problem after another, in essence similar to the ones you are currently having, if I,m not mistaken. I do recall an email issue which seemed to go on for ever! Take the advice given insofar as getting your machine to someone who does know what he is doing, get the bleedin' thing sorted and thereafter, when you go to install something new why don,t you come on, explain what you intend doing and someone will talk you thru' loading it or whatever needs done rather than making a complete dog,s breakfast of it and hoping somone on here will strick it lucky and be able to resolve the latest problem. I said it then and I,ll repeat myself. Five different people come on with five different answer to the latest problem you are having and you try each one which then just totally corrupts your machine. Best of luck anyway!
Since writing the foregoing I,ve noticed Warbey,s suggestions which are fine but then again CCleaner was recommended the last time and that issue also went on for weeks.

warbey
19-01-2013, 21:14
PP. If we could go back about 30 months ago, probably about the time you joined the original Forum I seem to recall you having one problem after another, in essence similar to the ones you are currently having, if I,m not mistaken. I do recall an email issue which seemed to go on for ever! Take the advice given insofar as getting your machine to someone who does know what he is doing, get the bleedin' thing sorted and thereafter, when you go to install something new why don,t you come on, explain what you intend doing and someone will talk you thru' loading it or whatever needs done rather than making a complete dog,s breakfast of it and hoping somone on here will strick it lucky and be able to resolve the latest problem. I said it then and I,ll repeat myself. Five different people come on with five different answer to the latest problem you are having and you try each one which then just totally corrupts your machine. Best of luck anyway!
Since writing the foregoing I,ve noticed Warbey,s suggestions which are fine but then again CCleaner was recommended the last time and that issue also went on for weeks.

I have said roughly the same.

Long range fixes don't usually work..

I mentioned that a REGULAR Clean helps unbung, and defrag helps too.
I was referring to routine Housekeeping, NOT the present problem.

So We agree, don't We.? I also agree, re, previous Form, Mate......

timmylish
19-01-2013, 21:32
Aye, of course. I in no way was being critical of your suggestions just pointing out that this had previous!

penelope pitstop
19-01-2013, 22:40
If it was me, I would take the laptop to a shop or individual who can cast a professional eye on the problem and either fix it for you or sell you a new one. The kind of problems you are getting might indicate that the solution required is out with your level of expertise.. I have had similar problems. I took it back to factory settings and ran a series of housekeeping programmes in an attempt to solve it - nothing worked. I'm saving up for a new one.... I use my iPad most of the time anyway! Sorry.

I am going to start saving too for an new laptop & iPad, should be there in about 5 yrs!

Sorry Penelope pitstop I wouldn't wish to alarm you but just in case you have some kind of computer virus lurking in there it's safest not to use it for banking.

Long story short, some of your information such as passwords etc can be stolen by the clever criminals who put the virus there in the first place.

My anti viruses appear to be working well. Surely hidden passwords that come out as a star symbol & not a number or letter can't be stolen as they are hidden. That's how it is with my online banking. They are changed every time I log on.

I had the laptop cleaned up in December, & that is when I was told to remove Norton as it was causing problems. Have since put it back for the protection.

I just think my computer ignorance gets me in a mess. But thanks anyway for the advice

slodgedad
20-01-2013, 01:57
Anti virus and firewalls are essential, but as has been said before computers need regular cleaning.

My bosses wife got so fed up with her lappie being slow at everything that she bought a new, much higher spec, machine.

I looked at her old one, installed CCleaner and Advanced System Care (both free) and her new one isn't much better ther her new one.

Regular maintenance is essential but most prople treat it like a games machine.

Always remember that every time you log on, not only have you got instant access to the world, the world has instant access to you.

cressrt
20-01-2013, 10:16
Get rid of the widoze OS and install Linux, it's faster you do not need Antivirus or firewalls! It's safe and when people change they don't go back. You can try it alongside windows if you are not sure or even run from a memory stick. There are "light" versions for older laptops as well. I use Ubuntu have a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. Oh and the other bonus is it's FREE and always will be.

Vortex Wake
20-01-2013, 10:31
Yes , I strongly recommend Linux too.

When my brother returned his laptop (that I had setup a year earlier ) with Windows completely corrupted - I opted to install a version of Linux as Cressrt suggested .

The laptop starts far quicker ( and unlike Windows, it will continue to run faster ) , with no worries about viruses .

As stated , you can run Linux side by side with Windows , or even simply from a disc without installing.

Most of us are not computer geeks - we simply want to surf the web, answer emails , watch YouTube or view our picture galleries without hindrance from.virus checkers , program updates and general slow downs that Windows causes over time.

Suej
20-01-2013, 11:18
Yes , I strongly recommend Linux too.

When my brother returned his laptop (that I had setup a year earlier ) with Windows completely corrupted - I opted to install a version of Linux as Cressrt suggested .

The laptop starts far quicker ( and unlike Windows, it will continue to run faster ) , with no worries about viruses .

As stated , you can run Linux side by side with Windows , or even simply from a disc without installing.

Most of us are not computer geeks - we simply want to surf the web, answer emails , watch YouTube or view our picture galleries without hindrance from.virus checkers , program updates and general slow downs that Windows causes over time.

If Windows is corrupted which I suspect it is on an old laptop that I have (Use it for footy streaming mostly) if I were to download linux or Abuntu will the corrupted windows not have any effect on peformance of Linux too! If you see what I mean? The old lap top I have is really slow and like pp's also doesn't respond to programs often. I cleared it out to the minimum of programs, took out most of the docs and photos etc... but it is still very slow! I use CCleaner, Registry Mechanic and defrag once a week whether it needs it or not! Comments would be appreciated! Is it difficult to install? Can I install this on my current XP OS?:thanx:

Vortex Wake
20-01-2013, 11:37
Sue , downloading your chosen version of Linux on any laptop - THEN burning to CD (or DVD ) meaning you can then run Linux from said disc on any other machine .

The disc will prompt you to install Linux side by side with Windows or Linux install only or simply run from disc (without installing ) . The later will run slower from boot up but does allow a taster or Linux.

Google chrome runs on Linux too.

Linux versions have different features - older laptops can work better with the lite versions of Linux.

See Cressrt's post in reply to some of my posts about Linux and Acer laptop thread else where. ( sorry , on the cell phone have a coffee at Sandbanks so can't post the thread link ).

Suej
20-01-2013, 12:46
Going to install it anyway to run along with windows! if I have a problem I can ask on here or just uninstall it! I haven't got a disc so will just download direct from the site! Thanks!!!

viv
20-01-2013, 14:24
in easy terms.. your computer is confused.. you've probably got a few things running aginast each other on it. Everytime you go onto Google it will remember ans store this info... from time to time it has to be cleared out. I do this on a regular bases.. Also Norton can be a bit of an ass as well.. I used to have Norton but it kept stopping things from happening on my computer... so got rid on the advise of my computer guru and have been happily banking.. ran a business through it etc.

I did find it necessary to ask for help from a computer person called Matthew as for some unknown reason the new printer I had bought did not want to print properly even though it had been installed and was saying ready fro use!!!

I'd found Matthew on Face Book under "Tenerife" he came out to me within the hour and sorted the problem.
Look for him under Matthew laptop repairs Brown
What ever happens though... if someone says "I'll have to wipe your computer" don't let them if you have important stuff on it you don't want to loose!!! Good Luck

Vortex Wake
20-01-2013, 14:29
What virus checker are you using now viv ?

penelope pitstop
21-01-2013, 23:05
Thanks again everyone, I am really cautious about trying anything new as I am good at mucking things up when I do. I did a defrag, which took 6 hrs!!!! When I turned the laptop on again the 'blue screen of death ' came up. I couldn't believe it. I logged off & in again, which got rid of it, but I am sure it will pop up again as I had the same problem a couple of years ago with the 'black screen of death' & had to get it professionally sorted!
Re the cc cleaner, I do have it installed, but it can permanently delete things & I am afraid to use it in case I lose all my saved work.
When I clear the history it is not supposed to clear passwords, but it does & I have to re-type then on various websites.
So I am very aware that cc cleaner is good but scared to use it.
I have stuff stored in dropbox, so hopefully it is safe there?????????
What is Linux?

kingbaker
22-01-2013, 00:24
Thanks again everyone, I am really cautious about trying anything new as I am good at mucking things up when I do. I did a defrag, which took 6 hrs!!!! When I turned the laptop on again the 'blue screen of death ' came up. I couldn't believe it. I logged off & in again, which got rid of it, but I am sure it will pop up again as I had the same problem a couple of years ago with the 'black screen of death' & had to get it professionally sorted!
Re the cc cleaner, I do have it installed, but it can permanently delete things & I am afraid to use it in case I lose all my saved work.
When I clear the history it is not supposed to clear passwords, but it does & I have to re-type then on various websites.
I have stuff stored in dropbox, so hopefully it is safe there?????????
What is Linux?

Hi PP, I suggest hat you invest in an 8 gb+ memory stick. I did recently and have copied all the stuff I wanted to keep.

Programmes, photos (100's) etc. and they were saved to this memory stick, and then kept separate to the comp. No need to worry about loosing something.:tiphat:

timmylish
22-01-2013, 02:56
PP. You are getting deeper and deeper here again. Forget installing a new O/s for the moment, your priority is to rectify the current state of your machine which brings us back to getting an expert and not me or any other fairly well versed on the operational functions on your computer. Don,.t know what it would cost but would think someone from here or as suggested previously on this thread might charge, say 50 euros for a clean-up (urgent). This will also ensure that none of your prized personal stuff be lost for ever. Please, please do this urgently and when its done come back and let us know how you are!

This is an extract from your last posting on here;-

The above is almost verbatim to what you wrote 18 months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AL JAY
22-01-2013, 03:42
When you run CCleaner it gives you options which you can tick or untick, untick the saved passwords and it will save them for you,it really is that easy! I also agree with timmy,take it to an expert and ask him to give it a thorough checkover!

penelope pitstop
25-01-2013, 00:34
Hi PP, I suggest hat you invest in an 8 gb+ memory stick. I did recently and have copied all the stuff I wanted to keep.

Programmes, photos (100's) etc. and they were saved to this memory stick, and then kept separate to the comp. No need to worry about loosing something.:tiphat:

I have dropbox & now have the memory sticks which I will be using. Thanks

When you run CCleaner it gives you options which you can tick or untick, untick the saved passwords and it will save them for you,it really is that easy! I also agree with timmy,take it to an expert and ask him to give it a thorough checkover!

I had options when clearing history, but it still removed passwords! My tech man checked it over & removed a virus before Xmas. He also removed Norton as he said it was slowing the laptop down. I have since re-installed it because Security Essentials he installed is not secure for banking.
I am going to try to soldier on until I can afford a new one along with a tablet, possibly.

timmylish
25-01-2013, 03:17
I,ve used Security Essentials for years and do a lot of on-line banking for family and friends. Don,t know how you work out that its not secure enough for banking.

Suej
25-01-2013, 12:23
I have dropbox & now have the memory sticks which I will be using. Thanks

I had options when clearing history, but it still removed passwords! My tech man checked it over & removed a virus before Xmas. He also removed Norton as he said it was slowing the laptop down. I have since re-installed it because Security Essentials he installed is not secure for banking.
I am going to try to soldier on until I can afford a new one along with a tablet, possibly.

So what was your tech man's opinion on the condition of your operating system pp? I do know of a few people that have trouble with Norton but if you had kept the Security essentials and got him to download Trusteer Rapport as another security layer you would have been OK for internet banking! No AV is 100% with banking or shopping online so if you are that worried then don't bank online!:) Any transaction will carry some risk online! it's the nature of the beast if someone wants to hack in they will!!!

penelope pitstop
27-01-2013, 19:47
So what was your tech man's opinion on the condition of your operating system pp? I do know of a few people that have trouble with Norton but if you had kept the Security essentials and got him to download Trusteer Rapport as another security layer you would have been OK for internet banking! No AV is 100% with banking or shopping online so if you are that worried then don't bank online!:) Any transaction will carry some risk online! it's the nature of the beast if someone wants to hack in they will!!!

The tech man cleared a virus, took off Norton & put on Sec essentials & said it has speeded the laptop up a bit!
I have put on Trusteer myself since. I hope my laptop is as secure as it can be now.
I have another problem that keeps coming up, something about the following pages being unresponsive & kill pages or wait. A friend has the same & her Netbook is only a year old! Another friend also has it. Very strange!

penelope pitstop
28-01-2013, 22:15
HOORAY have uninstalled Google Chrome & now my laptop has speeded up & I am no longer getting all the messages popping up telling me the page is unresponsive!
Only thing is I have lost a few desk top icons: Yahoo, Tenerife forum & Facebook. I have tried dragging them across but an error message pops up, so I have get into them by means!

HOORAY have uninstalled Google Chrome & now my laptop has speeded up & I am no longer getting all the messages popping up telling me the page is unresponsive!
Only thing is I have lost a few desk top icons: Yahoo, Tenerife forum & Facebook. I have tried dragging them across but an error message pops up, so I have get into them by means!

penelope pitstop
29-01-2013, 13:07
Why can't I edit my post as it is a double post + I have left out a word. There is no edit on the page, HELP please.
I seem to have to post twice before it goes, hence the double posts????????
I am not using Internet explorer & Google NOT Google Chrome.

timmylish
29-01-2013, 13:56
Why can't I edit my post as it is a double post + I have left out a word. There is no edit on the page, HELP please.

Don,t understand the last line in your post?

Suej
29-01-2013, 14:10

Like Timmylish I don't understand the last sentence of your post pp! What browser are you using then to get on to the forum???

Fivepence
29-01-2013, 14:12
I think PP should change her forum user name to Penelope Laptop.......................:whistle:

Ecky Thump
29-01-2013, 16:55
[B]I am not using Internet explorer & Google NOT Google Chrome.

If we get past your mistake, where you have put Google, you will find that using Internet Explorer for the forum, it will not let you edit your posts, so the answer is, if you want to edit your posts......Use Google Chrome and then you can make mistakes and edit them!:)

So don't make the big mistake, by continuing to use Internet Explorer!!!!!!:spin:

Suej
29-01-2013, 17:01
If we get past your mistake, where you have put Google, you will find that using Internet Explorer for the forum, it will not let you edit your posts, so the answer is, if you want to edit your posts......Use Google Chrome and then you can make mistakes and edit them!:)

So don't make the big mistake, by continuing to use Internet Explorer!!!!!!:spin:

Firefox works fine with the Forum too Ecky! :wink2:

BobMac
29-01-2013, 17:02

Even better

As you are worried about security, I'd suggest switching to using SRWare Iron which is a free browser based on Google Chrome BUT it has all the Google Tracking removed from it.

It can be downloaded from THIS LINK (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php)

I've been using it for three months now and it is quicker than Chrome and the Forum works perfectly with it.

penelope pitstop
29-01-2013, 23:57

That's why I want to edit it.

timmylish
29-01-2013, 23:59
Get onto Firefox then. Do all the editing you might want to!

penelope pitstop
30-01-2013, 00:03
Get onto Firefox then. Do all the editing you might want to!

Thanks but no thanks to Firefox & Google Chrome have caused problems on my laptop, so I won't be using them again. I have Firefox on my netbook, so will have to use it for editing on here.
Why is it some websites don't respond to certain browsers?

karinagal
30-01-2013, 10:46
Firefox works fine with the Forum too Ecky! :wink2:

Safari also work well with the forum..

BobMac
30-01-2013, 15:43

The best thing to do when installing IE

timmylish
30-01-2013, 17:20
Sorry but both FF and Chrome are perfectly stable, its the end users who create the problems. IE IS a different matter as its not compliant with a lot of sites created by individuals.

penelope pitstop
01-02-2013, 21:46

I made an error on the last line of the post, it should have said I am now using Internet Explorer & Google not Google Chrome. I wanted to edit it but can't, so will have to download firefox. Apparently I can switch between browsers.:jumping:

My techman came this afternoon & we went thru a few things, so now I am up & running without any problems for the time being. Until the next time..........:pray:

Yes I think I will become Penelope Laptop, how do I go about changing my name please???????????????:confused:

Suej
01-02-2013, 22:32
You can use any browsers you have installed PP! Bob Mac put a post on about one he uses! :)

penelope pitstop
02-02-2013, 12:18
On my netbook there is a desktop icon for browsers, & I have 3 in the drop down menu. Now trying to figure out how to get than icon on my laptop. I prefer IE & also have google (not chrome) on the laptop, I uninstalled Firefox for some reason, can't remember why now as I still have it on my netbook. I confuse myself with all this so I can imagine how confused you all must be!
My laptop is working so well now I am afraid if I do re-install Firefox the problems that made me uninstall it last time my rear their ugly head!
OH & EDIT IS NOW WORKING I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT BUT THE SMILEYS AREN'T & that's with IE & Google.
Oh the joys of computers

Fivepence
02-02-2013, 12:30
On my netbook there is a desktop icon for browsers, & I have 3 in the drop down menu. Now trying to figure out how to get than icon on my laptop. I prefer IE & also have google (not chrome) on the laptop, I uninstalled Firefox for some reason, can't remember why now as I still have it on my netbook. I confuse myself with all this so I can imagine how confused you all must be!
My laptop is working so well now I am afraid if I do re-install Firefox the problems that made me uninstall it last time my rear their ugly head!
OH & EDIT IS NOW WORKING I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT BUT THE SMILEYS AREN'T & that's with IE & Google.
Oh the joys of computers

Google is a search engine PP, Google Chrome is a browser.....................not trying to confuse you. :cheeky:

penelope pitstop
02-02-2013, 23:11
Google is a search engine PP, Google Chrome is a browser.....................not trying to confuse you. :cheeky:

To be honest I don't know the difference. All I know is my laptop works so much better without
it........

Albatros
02-02-2013, 23:50
To be honest I don't know the difference. All I know is my laptop works so much better without
it........

Might I suggest that you take the opportunity to get some basic training on the functions of a laptop before you encounter your next crisis.

A reasonable good start would be one of the Dummies series of books. Eg. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0471754218/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9557947629&ref=asc_df_0471754218

penelope pitstop
03-02-2013, 11:06
Might I suggest that you take the opportunity to get some basic training on the functions of a laptop before you encounter your next crisis.

A reasonable good start would be one of the Dummies series of books. Eg. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0471754218/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9557947629&ref=asc_df_0471754218

LOL, I bought Dummies books years ago, never looked at them as to be honest I don't have the patience. I also did a short course yrs ago too! I think it's time to go for some lessons soon!

Suej
03-02-2013, 14:15
LOL, I bought Dummies books years ago, never looked at them as to be honest I don't have the patience. I also did a short course yrs ago too! I think it's time to go for some lessons soon!

Now your laptop is working OK albeit using IErolleyes2: you should dig out those books and s-l-o-w-l-y read through them it might save you a lot of time and frustration in future as I don't hold out much hope that your laptop will ever work properly! Get:reading: PP! :sorry:

Vortex Wake
03-02-2013, 14:23
What virus checker have you got up and running PP ?

penelope pitstop
04-02-2013, 10:09
Now your laptop is working OK albeit using IErolleyes2: you should dig out those books and s-l-o-w-l-y read through them it might save you a lot of time and frustration in future as I don't hold out much hope that your laptop will ever work properly! Get:reading: PP! :sorry:

Yes Sue u r probably right. I don't think I have the books anymore.
My limited knowledge & the age of my laptop doesn't help. My Tech man says as it's 8 yrs old there r some websites etc it can't keep up to speed with.
I have always had problems, it was the same in Tenerife, I had a couple of Tech men there I used to call out from time to time! A different laptop back then.
Once I get myself into a routine, I WILL find time for a course.
Thanks

What virus checker have you got up and running PP ?

I have Norton 360 gold & Malware Bytes. I am told they are compatible.:pray:

My Tech guy reckons the best one to buy is Avast. So when Norton runs out in August I will be buying Avast. Hopefully by then I will have a new laptop to start messing up!::lol:

Ecky Thump
04-02-2013, 13:11
Hopefully by then I will have a new laptop to start messing up!::lol:

Maybe you would be better off buying a abacus, no viruses and no settings to mess about with.

If you need to contact people forget the emails and send letters.:laugh:

penelope pitstop
04-02-2013, 21:10
Maybe you would be better off buying a abacus, no viruses and no settings to mess about with.

If you need to contact people forget the emails and send letters.:laugh:

Too slow for me, but thanks for the suggestion

BobMac
04-02-2013, 22:45
Yes Sue u r probably right. I don't think I have the books anymore.
My limited knowledge & the age of my laptop doesn't help. My Tech man says as it's 8 yrs old there r some websites etc it can't keep up to speed with.
I have always had problems, it was the same in Tenerife, I had a couple of Tech men there I used to call out from time to time! A different laptop back then.
Once I get myself into a routine, I WILL find time for a course.
Thanks

I have Norton 360 gold & Malware Bytes. I am told they are compatible.:pray:

My Tech guy reckons the best one to buy is Avast. So when Norton runs out in August I will be buying Avast. Hopefully by then I will have a new laptop to start messing up!::lol:

Norton products are notorious for slowing PC's down. I use Bitdefender on mine and that comes as a complete Security system - it just gets on with it once it's installed, you only here from it if you need to do something.