PDA

View Full Version : What was the Canary Islands' currency before the Euro and the Peseta?

henry
19-01-2013, 17:58
i was watch a game show yesterday but never gave the answer and it driving me crazy. does anyone know What is Canary Islands' currency before the euro ans the peseta?

CIM
19-01-2013, 18:01
Potatoes...

9PLUS
19-01-2013, 18:04
The Goat...

Harmonicaman
19-01-2013, 18:08
Banana.......

Fivepence
19-01-2013, 18:09
Gofio perhaps!

Harmonicaman
19-01-2013, 18:11
Fake Rolexes....

Suej
19-01-2013, 19:06
Pasanda! no sorry that's India!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

i was watch a game show yesterday but never gave the answer and it driving me crazy. does anyone know What is Canary Islands' currency before the euro ans the peseta?

When was the last time you cleaned out your room henry!? must have been a while ago to find coins older than a peseta!!!:wink:

slodgedad
19-01-2013, 19:11
According to Wikipedia cheese was once used as currency.

Albatros
19-01-2013, 19:16
According to Wikipedia cheese was once used as currency.

As was salt, globally. Folk were paid with salt. Hence the phrase 'worth his salt'.

sundownersvince
19-01-2013, 19:57
Pieces of eight, ooooarrrrr.

henry
19-01-2013, 20:08

When was the last time you cleaned out your room henry!? must have been a while ago to find coins older than a peseta!!!:wink:

it been a while. i have to make more room to fit my video game collecting.

hey everybody i finally got the answer from yahoo answers. the answer was it was the Spanish Escudo, because that was Spain's currency before it joined the Latin Monetary Union in 1868. Since the Canaries was already Spanish by that point.

LeFrunk
19-01-2013, 20:14
it been a while. i have to make more room to fit my video game collecting.

hey everybody i finally got the answer from yahoo answers. the answer was it was the Spanish Escudo, because that was Spain's currency before it joined the Latin Monetary Union in 1868. Since the Canaries was already Spanish by that point.
OH NO THEY WERNT , THEY WHERE IRISH AND THE CURRENCY WAS THE PUNT , check that out .

AL JAY
19-01-2013, 20:33
Brown envelopes :wink2:

slodgedad
20-01-2013, 02:36
Escdo is probably right. Although it is the old Portuguese currency it was also used in Spain...HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_escudo)

ribuck
20-01-2013, 13:27
The currency wasn't canaries, that's for sure.

Malteser Monkey
20-01-2013, 14:37
Gofio perhaps!

Yuck !

Dhansak or the korma maybe:cheeky:

Balcony
20-01-2013, 19:07
Put the man out of his misery....... God I was looking at my spreadsheet from way back when we first bought. Getting 1.38 - 1.40 to the £. Those were the days.

universal
21-01-2013, 10:34
From the second half of the 19th century on wards sterling was the preferred currency of commerce in The Canaries.
In the principle ports of Las Palmas and Sta. Cruz all shops, hotels and business displayed prices in, and accepted sterling bank notes and gold sovereigns. Most of the port facilities (and later the coaling stations) were in the hands of British Companies and only dealt in British currency. The first commercial bank to be established was The British Bank Of West Africa.
The extract from "Bienmesabe.org" below (although the auto-translate is a bit shabby) describes how in the post civil war era, in the days of strict currency control, Fyffes used to smuggle in sterling bank notes hidden inside the tyres of lorries shipped in from London....

In those years, the fifties of the last century, life was the period of greatest commercial dynamism between the Canaries and England with exports of tomatoes, bananas and potatoes, even that historic label pervivía Canary Island Produce. Despite economic autarchy imposed by Francoism, this political regime allowed, as a great exception, exports and trade between our islands and the British trading empire. Therefore, were the only sterling foreign currency entering the Spanish state with little monitoring tariff. Exporters declared a part of them, the others came in secret. So companies tomatoes grew like wildfire, especially with a system where there was savage capitalist wage controls. To give an example we will say that the famous Community Veneguera trucks acquired in London and introduced to the island with the aim of the service in his estate, although the business came into the rubber of your wheels, instead of pressurized air coming full of sterling bills. At the time I was very small, not enough to note that almost all trucks, engines to draw water from wells, fabrics, hardware ... material came from the London market, including some delicious chocolates.

chifleta
21-01-2013, 14:22
Put the man out of his misery....... God I was looking at my spreadsheet from way back when we first bought. Getting 1.38 - 1.40 to the £. Those were the days.

Weren't they just.............. sighhhhhhh .........

Mind you, at least I get more for my money when I go to UK for a visit LOL