PDA

View Full Version : Other Where is your favourite place to holiday in the UK?

marbro8
19-01-2013, 21:18
where do forum members like to holiday or visit in the uk? i must admit that i havn't holidayed here in the uk for some years, i think my last time was in cornwall, i love falmouth ,and torquay as my parents lived there for a few years, but i have also spent long weekends watching my footy team in exeter, plymouth, blackpool, portsmouth and my favorite brighton :spin:

warbey
19-01-2013, 21:24
Our House, daft as it may seem.

I can do a Day trip to nearly Everywhere I like, Blackpool or LLandudno included.

Maybe further afield One Day, as yet, far off.

marbro8
19-01-2013, 21:42
Our House, daft as it may seem.

I can do a Day trip to nearly Everywhere I like, Blackpool or LLandudno included.

Maybe further afield One Day, as yet, far off.where in north wales do you live warbey? i used to go to prestatyn and rhyl every weekend when i was younger, and LLandudno is lovely, i remember walking the long pier there one weekend when there was a lot of jewish people on some sort of convention lol and we spent a weekend in denbeigh? because my auntie is a local celebrity there and it was her 80th birthday, she had wrote a book hiked up everest and ran countless marathons all in her later years:laugh:

YOUNG GOLFER
19-01-2013, 21:44
I went back to Exeter a few weeks back and some big changes a great city....also went to Birmingham which was very nice people were very friendly.....then popped back at Xmas to Essex again nice place nice restaurants their.
But have to say Newcastle and Liverpool are top of my list of places to visit.
Have to add spent 2 days in nothholt think that's how you spell it most people their seem to keep themselves to themselves was shocked by the amount of non whites their.But I guess living here and from Exeter it was a eye opener.

marbro8
19-01-2013, 22:08
I went back to Exeter a few weeks back and some big changes a great city....also went to Birmingham which was very nice people were very friendly.....then popped back at Xmas to Essex again nice place nice restaurants their.
But have to say Newcastle and Liverpool are top of my list of places to visit.
Have to add spent 2 days in nothholt think that's how you spell it most people their seem to keep themselves to themselves was shocked by the amount of non whites their.But I guess living here and from Exeter it was a eye opener. lol absolutely love exeter, stayed at the white hart 3 times now, went to michael canes place opposite cathedral nice pie, and i still have 10 pasties in the freezer from the pastie company round the corner:laugh:

Ecky Thump
19-01-2013, 22:14
Its got to be Tw@tt in the Orkneys, even its name brings a happy smile to many a face.:tiphat:

YOUNG GOLFER
19-01-2013, 22:22
lol absolutely love exeter, stayed at the white hart 3 times now, went to michael canes place opposite cathedral nice pie, and i still have 10 pasties in the freezer from the pastie company round the corner:laugh:

Gandhi street is a great place try there next time mate...........

TF1
20-01-2013, 11:45
The airport departure lounge! :wink2:

Megaloo
20-01-2013, 11:52
Cornwall or North Devon for me..... I;think you mean Northolt Young Golfer? but I know what you mean if that is the place you are talking about

marbro8
20-01-2013, 11:58
Cornwall or North Devon for me..... I;think you mean Northolt Young Golfer? but I know what you mean if that is the place you are talking about yep lovely places, hyde beach has got to be the best in britain:spin: and as for northolt have you ever been to luton?:laugh:

imablue
20-01-2013, 12:12
Used to love going to Abersoch on the Lleyn Peninsular North Wales,when summers were summers as in school holidays...
also around Loggerheads and Cefn Caves camping every weekend when we could ....

marbro8
20-01-2013, 12:32
Used to love going to Abersoch on the Lleyn Peninsular North Wales,when summers were summers as in school holidays...
also around Loggerheads and Cefn Caves camping every weekend when we could .... you have done well to spell those:laugh:, i remember camping just outside prestatyn at a place called bells of saint mary's in gronant? no water no toilets, we had to travel into rhyl for those luxuries :laugh:

imablue
20-01-2013, 13:45
Yep did pretty much the North Wales coast, remember Kimnel Bay being a particular good area just outside Rhyl...then after passing driving test and getting a car was able to venture more to the likes of South Wales,Cornwall and Devon to name but a few ...
Also Scotland and The Lake District became more accessible..happy days

candy2411
20-01-2013, 14:17
I used to love Abersoch as well, not a lot to do there though if the weather was bad. Remember a great little country pub The Merry Widow at Llanbedrog few miles away.

Loggerheads is only a few miles from where I live , lovely country park, forest walks etc

There used to be a great place Colomendy nearby leased by Liverpool city council I think, used to provide weekends away for children from the city.It's still there today a sort of outward bound activity centre, zip wire stuff and that sort of thing.

honda
20-01-2013, 14:18
Went to Kimnel Bay a few times, on family holidays as a kid. Loved the place.

marbro8
20-01-2013, 14:35
I used to love Abersoch as well, not a lot to do there though if the weather was bad. Remember a great little country pub The Merry Widow at Llanbedrog few miles away.

Loggerheads is only a few miles from where I live , lovely country park, forest walks etc

There used to be a great place Colomendy nearby leased by Liverpool city council I think, used to provide weekends away for children from the city.It's still there today a sort of outward bound activity centre, zip wire stuff and that sort of thing.yes we used to go to bryntisylio from school, it's a bit run down now though so the housing association i work for took a load of us up there a couple of years ago to do some maintainance on it for free, so they can keep sending the next generation there:spin:

imablue
20-01-2013, 15:18

There used to be a great place Colomendy nearby leased by Liverpool city council I think, used to provide weekends away for children from the city.It's still there today a sort of outward bound activity centre, zip wire stuff and that sort of thing.

We used to get a bus from Woodside Bus Station in Birkenhead the F10 i think to Loggerheads, we would get on the Leete Walk and head for a village called Cilcain ,we would stop and have a drink in the local pub The White Horse Inn we were slightly underage but told the owners we were 18 ....then we would head for where we pitched our tents somewhere between Moel Fammau and Moel Arthur...

candy2411
20-01-2013, 18:29
We used to get a bus from Woodside Bus Station in Birkenhead the F10 i think to Loggerheads, we would get on the Leete Walk and head for a village called Cilcain ,we would stop and have a drink in the local pub The White Horse Inn we were slightly underage but told the owners we were 18 ....then we would head for where we pitched our tents somewhere between Moel Fammau and Moel Arthur...

great days eh and the White Horse is still there, don't think its changed much over the years....

Balcony
20-01-2013, 19:02
There are some nice AREAS in the UK, like the Lake District, Devon, Cornwall, but its the thought of the second rate accommodation you have to put up with that putrs me off - frilly, silly B&Bs, over-priced hotels with naff rooms. You can barely eat beyond fish n chips, burgers etc. It's cheaper to go away. Mind you have to put up with similar places in Paris, say, but there again you regard it as 'foreign' so its OK. LOL

warbey
20-01-2013, 20:16

What about Talacre. Everyone went there. Quite posh now too.

karinagal
20-01-2013, 20:52
We love to go to Aviemore for a long weekend - the scenery is stunning..

candy2411
20-01-2013, 20:59
What about Talacre. Everyone went there. Quite posh now too.

It just lacks one main ingredient.... Sunshine !!:) If it had Tenerife weather it would be much improved:)

Sal
20-01-2013, 21:49
Am lucky enough to live in beautiful Poole, Dorset, which would be fantastic for a holiday...........if we had the weather.....and I didn't already live here!

marbro8
20-01-2013, 22:00
Am lucky enough to live in beautiful Poole, Dorset, which would be fantastic for a holiday...........if we had the weather.....and I didn't already live here!we went to poole last year looking for harry redknaps house lol, we think we found it but we got stuck in traffic and didn't realize we were in the queue for the bloody ferry:ashamed::laugh: but what a lovely place:wink2:

BoPeep
20-01-2013, 22:14
My favourite is the Lake District but we also go to see a friend in Swanage in the summer which has to be one of the best family seaside places to go.....not far from Poole!

Malteser Monkey
21-01-2013, 11:48
where in north wales do you live warbey? i used to go to prestatyn and rhyl every weekend when i was younger, and LLandudno is lovely, i remember walking the long pier there one weekend when there was a lot of jewish people on some sort of convention lol and we spent a weekend in denbeigh? because my auntie is a local celebrity there and it was her 80th birthday, she had wrote a book hiked up everest and ran countless marathons all in her later years:laugh:

Have you been recently ?

chifleta
21-01-2013, 14:17
my "hols" in Uk are usually crashing at parents and family so I can visit everyone.... so Wiltshire or Hampshire, then sometimes Christchurch, then Kent, and sometimes Hertforshire....I love visiting, but after 10 days i'm normally itching to get home again. I haven't been for over a year though :(

I love going to visit a friend in France, she has a B&B in the sticks in a wee place called Givardon, it's geooooorgous, but I have been able to go for a couple of years either :(

I'd like to take other half to Scotland some time for a fishing trip, but it's managing to go then at the right time of year, as we don't fancy freezing you know whats off.... or being attacked by Scotlands secret weapon... the midgies ....

JillADavidson
21-01-2013, 14:36
There are some nice AREAS in the UK, like the Lake District, Devon, Cornwall, but its the thought of the second rate accommodation you have to put up with that putrs me off - frilly, silly B&Bs, over-priced hotels with naff rooms. You can barely eat beyond fish n chips, burgers etc. It's cheaper to go away. Mind you have to put up with similar places in Paris, say, but there again you regard it as 'foreign' so its OK. LOL

Oh Balcony, that sounds like Blackpool, and I would agree with every word you say (I am Blackpool born and bred), but it is not true of the rest of the UK. My favourite places are Scotland and the Border Country, and also the New Forest. Both offer unspoilt countryside and comfortable pub accomodation, or more luxurious hotels if we feel like a treat. Very different from Tenerife but just as enjoyable in their own way.

marbro8
21-01-2013, 18:59
Have you been recently ? when we went to denbeigh we drove through rhyl and prestatyn and i was gob smacked at how run down they both were:( that was about 2 years ago:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

my "hols" in Uk are usually crashing at parents and family so I can visit everyone.... so Wiltshire or Hampshire, then sometimes Christchurch, then Kent, and sometimes Hertforshire....I love visiting, but after 10 days i'm normally itching to get home again. I haven't been for over a year though :(

I love going to visit a friend in France, she has a B&B in the sticks in a wee place called Givardon, it's geooooorgous, but I have been able to go for a couple of years either :(

I'd like to take other half to Scotland some time for a fishing trip, but it's managing to go then at the right time of year, as we don't fancy freezing you know whats off.... or being attacked by Scotlands secret weapon... the midgies ....i would love to visit scotland one day, i have a cousin who has built his own house on the isle of lewis, about 60 miles from stornoway i think? he said his nearest neighbor is 30 miles away:laugh:, and my great grandad lawrie came from perth, so i have a bit of an affiliation with it:wink2:

warbey
21-01-2013, 20:34
I have a Nephew who Lives in Poole. with His Wife and Kids.

Sounds as if I should go and see Him, eh Sal.?

kingbaker
21-01-2013, 22:03

I'd like to take other half to Scotland some time for a fishing trip, but it's managing to go then at the right time of year, as we don't fancy freezing you know whats off.... or being attacked by Scotlands secret weapon... the midgies ....

If the Jocks vote for Independence, and to stay in the EU, and the Sasanachs vote to leave (or are kicked out) OH might have to take you, as by then you'll need a visa.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::laugh::l augh::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
22-01-2013, 10:23
when we went to denbeigh we drove through rhyl and prestatyn and i was gob smacked at how run down they both were:( that was about 2 years ago:)

Yes exactly - such a shame

chifleta
22-01-2013, 14:08
If the Jocks vote for Independence, and to stay in the EU, and the Sasanachs vote to leave (or are kicked out) OH might have to take you, as by then you'll need a visa.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::laugh::l augh::laugh:

I'm alright, i'm part Scottish part English part gypsy and even a part Canadian.... and imagine, my lad is part Canarian, so he's multinational LOL

when we went to denbeigh we drove through rhyl and prestatyn and i was gob smacked at how run down they both were:( that was about 2 years ago:)

i would love to visit scotland one day, i have a cousin who has built his own house on the isle of lewis, about 60 miles from stornoway i think? he said his nearest neighbor is 30 miles away:laugh:, and my great grandad lawrie came from perth, so i have a bit of an affiliation with it:wink2:

Your cousin has the right idea.... I would love to be as solitary as that ... shame this island isn't big enough to be able to do that hahahaha :)

Davie Thistle
22-01-2013, 14:14
....ha if wee eck has his way you lot Will need a passport to get into scotchland!!!:crylaughing:

Me? if I HAVE to holiday in this hole,
I like the West Country - Somerset Devon Cornwall,
Trebarwith/ Tintagel is my fav destination.
Usually on my motorbike touring.

:moped:

cheery
22-01-2013, 15:57
lol absolutely love exeter, stayed at the white hart 3 times now, went to michael canes place opposite cathedral nice pie, and i still have 10 pasties in the freezer from the pastie company round the corner:laugh:

My son is a Chef de Partie for Michael Caines in his Manchester restuarant! Food is stunning.

Having been a lorry driver and a sales rep for 25 years I have seen most of the UK. Each region has some very nice places and some not so nice. East Anglia is a bit flat for a Peak District lad but I like the thatched houses dotted about. Northumberland and the Lake District are rugged and offer lovely views. I have driven from Swansea in the morning and gone all round the Welsh coast to North Wales in the evening. Hell of a drive but well worth it. Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury is a good drive. However the last break we took over here was 3 days in Brighton. I have always had a liking for the South Coast and Brighton has a great social scene. We also went over to Portsmouth and sat at Spinnaker Wharf having a coffee watching the boats.

I wouldn't (and neither would OH) choose my main holiday in Britain because of the weather. If our business dictates not many (if any) holidays then we need sun so we can relax on a sunbed.

SueB
22-01-2013, 17:41
I have to give a vote for the other end of Wales - the South West - Pembrokeshire in particular, not because I went there on holiday but because I grew up there. Now it seems that everyone I meet has been there on holiday at some point, so it must be popular!

Balcony
22-01-2013, 17:49
I have to say, I like to stay at a small town in north Norfolk - Wells Next the Sea. It has a huge natural beach (sadly, dangerous tides) and some nice places to eat. We stay at a pub, which has good food, great beer, allows dogs (in room as well as bar). It's lovely to get away from everything.

marbro8
22-01-2013, 19:16
My son is a Chef de Partie for Michael Caines in his Manchester restuarant! Food is stunning.

Having been a lorry driver and a sales rep for 25 years I have seen most of the UK. Each region has some very nice places and some not so nice. East Anglia is a bit flat for a Peak District lad but I like the thatched houses dotted about. Northumberland and the Lake District are rugged and offer lovely views. I have driven from Swansea in the morning and gone all round the Welsh coast to North Wales in the evening. Hell of a drive but well worth it. Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury is a good drive. However the last break we took over here was 3 days in Brighton. I have always had a liking for the South Coast and Brighton has a great social scene. We also went over to Portsmouth and sat at Spinnaker Wharf having a coffee watching the boats.

I wouldn't (and neither would OH) choose my main holiday in Britain because of the weather. If our business dictates not many (if any) holidays then we need sun so we can relax on a sunbed.you have just described what we did last year:laugh::laugh: we stayed in brighton twice last year, and i don't know if it is because it is the gay capital of britain but the atmoss is great, never any trouble great pubs great restaurants, we tried a meal at zillie's? i think it's called, a nice little italian where you can watch them cooking the pizzas through the window in the massive wood fired oven:laugh: and portsmouth is fantastic, we stayed at the premier in close to sutton harbour and there was a cinema about 6-7 great restaurants a wetherspoons and about 4 other great pubs all within walking distance(until the wife wanted to wear the high heels, then it was a short taxi ride:laugh:) we also went on the boat trip round the spinnaker and did the tour of the historic doc yard, that was the best bit, i went to see the victory(which only has about 10% of the origional ship left:()but was more impressed with the warrior:laugh:we spent nearly 2 days there on the dockyard great value for money:)

I have to give a vote for the other end of Wales - the South West - Pembrokeshire in particular, not because I went there on holiday but because I grew up there. Now it seems that everyone I meet has been there on holiday at some point, so it must be popular! lost my virginity at manobier:shy: i met her in sands disco in tenby:laugh: i think the disco is still there, i remember dancing with her to janet kay's silly games:laugh:

I'm alright, i'm part Scottish part English part gypsy and even a part Canadian.... and imagine, my lad is part Canarian, so he's multinational LOL

Your cousin has the right idea.... I would love to be as solitary as that ... shame this island isn't big enough to be able to do that hahahaha :)according to my mom i have got matese, romany and scottish ancestry, no wonder i turn black after 2 days in the sun am careful with my money and travel about a bit:crylaughing:

chifleta
23-01-2013, 16:33
according to my mom i have got matese, romany and scottish ancestry, no wonder i turn black after 2 days in the sun am careful with my money and travel about a bit:crylaughing:

unfortunately i haven't got the colour bit (my nan has though lol), even after nearly 21 years here, I still put on factor 15, or factor 30 if I'm going fishing for a few hours. Definately got the itchy feet part, although not as much recently :)

Neil Duddy Hair
03-02-2013, 21:02
Alfriston near Brighton is a must!

Malteser Monkey
03-02-2013, 22:18
Alfriston near Brighton is a must!

I'll bend over to go there ................:spin: