PDA

View Full Version : Health We need help sourcing Perindopril TecniGen 8mg tablets for blood pressure in Tenerife

Dave Social
24-01-2013, 18:14
My wife went to chemists on the Golf del sur last Friday as she was running out of blood pressure tablets.

She was told they had none in, but to return on Sunday to collect. On Sunday she was then told to come back in several days as they said there was no tablets on the island! They were trying to source some from Grand Canaria! Luck would have it that my wife had enough tablets to last up till today (Thursday). She went in today and they now tell her the tablets Perindopril TecniGen have been discontinued!!!! So told her to go back again tomorrow to see another person to see if they can find an alternative.

Does anyone know if this is true, that the tablets have been withdrawn? If so my wife has been left in a serious situation with one tablet left.

Pooh
24-01-2013, 18:33
Get her to a cardiologist.
There are a lot of different blood pressure medicines available, and there must be an alternative. A cardiologist would know what is the best substitute.
I use a combination of 3 different kinds myself.

garlicbread
24-01-2013, 18:35
Get her to a cardiologist.
There are a lot of different blood pressure medicines available, and there must be an alternative. A cardiologist would know what is the best substitute.
I use a combination of 3 different kinds myself.

Brilliant response Pooh

Dave Social
24-01-2013, 18:47
Ok latest... I have just been in to the chemist to find out what's going on. I was told that the 8mg tablet has been discontinued in Spain but the 4mg is still available. However my wife now needs to go back to here local GP to get a new prescription.

QUESTION??? Does anyone know if doctors will issue a new prescription without having to make an appointment. As from experiance to see the Chafiras doctor can take about a week. Like I say she has one tablet left. So it's urgent.
Thanks

PS: Anyone know the opening times of the Chafiras medical centre on Friday? One next to veg market.

Pooh
24-01-2013, 19:01
I hope you know (the chemist would have told you) that "Tecnigen" is just the manufacturer name, and doesn't really matter.
Have all manufacturers of Perindopril discontinued the 8 mg tablet?

http://wwww.vademecum.medicom.es/medicamento_equivalencias_perindopril+tecnigen_354 76_27

Dave Social
24-01-2013, 19:07
I hope you know (the chemist would have told you) that "Tecnigen" is just the manufacturer name, and doesn't really matter.
Have all manufacturers of Perindopril discontinued the 8 mg tablet?

http://wwww.vademecum.medicom.es/medicamento_equivalencias_perindopril+tecnigen_354 76_27

We have been told by them that they had phoned other chemists and couldnt get hold of 8mg anymore. They have 4mg in stock but couldnt issue them because they need a new prescription. I think they where trying to get my wife to see there doctor tomorrow which is private and we would have to pay.

primrose
24-01-2013, 19:16
We have been told by them that they had phoned other chemists and couldnt get hold of 8mg anymore. They have 4mg in stock but couldnt issue them because they need a new prescription. I think they where trying to get my wife to see there doctor tomorrow which is private and we would have to pay.

Why can't you just buy them, I went to the Chemist this week and bought Blood Pressure tablets. If you are talking about Excellent Medical I went for an Eye Test and ended up spending over 700 Euros nothing but a money making machine.

Pooh
24-01-2013, 19:24

Using a private doctor would be completely meaningless, since you wouldn't get any discount when buying the medicine. Then you could just as well buy it without prescription since the only difference would be the price. To add the cost of the doctor on top of that, when the price of the meds still would be the same seems stupid. Did they really try to send you to a private doctor? ?

Suej
24-01-2013, 19:26
Why can't you just buy them, I went to the Chemist this week and bought Blood Pressure tablets. If you are talking about Excellent Medical I went for an Eye Test and ended up spending over 700 Euros nothing but a money making machine.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking...Why not just buy them!??? DS's wife could take two x 4mg!

junglejim
24-01-2013, 20:24
I arrived last week from UK with my several months supply of 8mg Perindopril manufactured by Generic Company Teva- they are still available as 8mg.(as wellas4mg) ( The chemical name is Perindopril Tert- butylamine).

TecniGen is manufactured in Spain, Portugal as a generic ,just like Teva.

http://www.aemps.gob.es/cima/especialidad.do?metodo=verFichaWordPdf&codigo=72239&formato=pdf&formulario=PROSPECTOS

slodgedad
24-01-2013, 20:33
HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perindopril) is some more info on generic names which may be useful

delderek
24-01-2013, 20:45
Several reports that as the Govt have not paid Farmacias for months, with many of them going nearly bankrupt, they can mysteriously find or locate stock if you have a private prescription, and pay for them yourself.

Dave Social
24-01-2013, 21:39
PRIMROSE: Excellent Medical is where we go to normaly collect and pay for the subscribed medication. And due to paying social through work, my wife only pays 2 or 3 euros for them instead of 15 euros. We are registered with a Spanish social doctor in Chafiras. Yes the Excellent Medical is very expensive and have over charged me in the past for counter products.

Pooh: Yes it silly using a private doctor especially that we are entitled to a free service and medication at a reduced cost. So tomorrow I'll pop my wife to our social doctor see if we can get a new prescription. Just hoping they will give us one without an appointment.

primrose
24-01-2013, 21:46
PRIMROSE: Excellent Medical is where we go to normaly collect and pay for the subscribed medication. And due to paying social through work, my wife only pays 2 or 3 euros for them instead of 15 euros. We are registered with a Spanish social doctor in Chafiras. Yes the Excellent Medical is very expensive and have over charged me in the past for counter products.

Pooh: Yes it silly using a private doctor especially that we are entitled to a free service and medication at a reduced cost. So tomorrow I'll pop my wife to our social doctor see if we can get a new prescription. Just hoping they will give us one without an appointment.

I am also registered at Chafiras but they have drastically cut the hours the last time we went they did my husbands prescription wrong and have had to wait 10 days for an appointment to get a new prescription.Our Doctor is only there 2 half days a week now.

Pooh
24-01-2013, 21:49

My point was that - if all you need is a prescription, going to the private doctor would be meaningless, since you could buy the same medicine without the prescription for the same price as you get with a private prescription. The only point of a private prescription would be to know which medicine to get, and you already know that.
As far as I know, you can buy (almost) any medicine without a prescription, the main exception is antibiotics.
The prescription - from a social doctor - entitles to a discount, but if you really need the medicine fast, you can just buy it... and generics are usually quite cheap anyway.

Dave Social
24-01-2013, 21:57
I'll be honest here about our doctor. We want to change doctor. As she prescribed some medication for my wife (not blood pressure tablets) but after one day of taking the tablets she became poorly, feeling sick, dizzy. Straight away we looked up the medication and it said that in no way should the tablets be taken if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure as they just raise the pressure higher! We double checked at the chemist and they also agreed after looking up on there system that she should not take them tablets.
So our current doctor prescribed medication that could have caused a heart attack. I really should make a complaint but don't know how you do it. Just want a doctor who is competent, and doesnt put my wifes life at risk. I though there was a good health system out here. I'm wrong.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

My point was that - if all you need is a prescription, going to the private doctor would be meaningless, since you could buy the same medicine without the prescription for the same price as you get with a private prescription. The only point of a private prescription would be to know which medicine to get, and you already know that.
As far as I know, you can buy (almost) any medicine without a prescription, the main exception is antibiotics.
The prescription - from a social doctor - entitles to a discount, but if you really need the medicine fast, you can just buy it... and generics are usually quite cheap anyway.

Yes understand you, and may have to do that if we can't get prescription tomorrow. Thanks.

primrose
24-01-2013, 22:05
I'll be honest here about our doctor. We want to change doctor. As she prescribed some medication for my wife (not blood pressure tablets) but after one day of taking the tablets she became poorly, feeling sick, dizzy. Straight away we looked up the medication and it said that in no way should the tablets be taken if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure as they just raise the pressure higher! We double checked at the chemist and they also agreed after looking up on there system that she should not take them tablets.
So our current doctor prescribed medication that could have caused a heart attack. I really should make a complaint but don't know how you do it. Just want a doctor who is competent, and doesnt put my wifes life at risk. I though there was a good health system out here. I'm wrong.

Totally agree with you about the Health System, I am being driven demented by the Doctors here, The Neurologist prescribed some tablets for my husband, the Cardiologist said hr hadn't to start them till his Blood Pressure was at a certain level but the Doctor at Charifas said start them but make sure he is already in bed before you give him the tablet and if he flops over or starts feeling ill get him to Hospital ASAP.Crazy