PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork Do expats have to cary their passport as proof of ID along with their NIE?

Carlos
26-01-2013, 15:35
Probably a question to bring up at the Consulate roadshow, but in advance let me ask anyway. If Brits need to carry their passports as proof of ID here (along with the non photo-bearing green registration certificate), what happens if you need to send your passport away for up to 6 weeks when you renew? I presume using your credit card etc is near impossible in a shop during this period, not to mention if you want to hop to another island or the mainland. Has anyone found a way around this dilemma?

chifleta
26-01-2013, 15:42
I only take my original passport around with me if i'm going somewhere where I need to show it.... otherwise I just take a plastificated copy of my passport and NIE ... I know it's not legal, but i've been doing that since the year dot, and not been stopped and asked for it - Also, I hardly have to show my photocopy for credit card payments, except when Iceland in Chafiras decided to come up with the stupid plan of only showing original ID, they changed that back again pretty pronto though as they had too many people leaving their shopping at the checkout LOL

Saying that, if you have to send passport away, the norm is you keep a copy of your application form with you too, so that you can prove it's been sent off for renewal, obviously with a copy of your "out of date" passport :)

garlicbread
26-01-2013, 16:11
I only take my original passport around with me if i'm going somewhere where I need to show it.... otherwise I just take a plastificated copy of my passport and NIE ... I know it's not legal, but i've been doing that since the year dot, and not been stopped and asked for it - Also, I hardly have to show my photocopy for credit card payments, except when Iceland in Chafiras decided to come up with the stupid plan of only showing original ID, they changed that back again pretty pronto though as they had too many people leaving their shopping at the checkout LOL

Saying that, if you have to send passport away, the norm is you keep a copy of your application form with you too, so that you can prove it's been sent off for renewal, obviously with a copy of your "out of date" passport :)

Couldn't agree more chifleta

cainaries
26-01-2013, 16:24
OH used his photocard driving licence as ID when we sent his passport away for renewal without any problems and it is accepted as ID when paying by card.

Steve 4
26-01-2013, 17:12
When I got my NIE number a week ago, it was just a printout on a plain sheet of A4. Are you actually sent anything more like, for example, an official credit card-sized thingy with the number stamped on? Does anyone have photo ID with their NIE number on it?

bonitatime
26-01-2013, 18:06
That doesn't exist any more for EU member states. Only non-EU members get a photo ID

cressrt
26-01-2013, 18:09
Yes it's called a Spanish Driving Licence.

casabonny
26-01-2013, 19:13
You could always get a notarized copy of your passport. I never carry my passport but use my Spanish driving licence for everything, Courts , Hacienda, shops with no problem. I have however seen Brits show UK picture licence and be told no PASSPORT only in certain shops.

timmylish
27-01-2013, 00:17
As Casabonny has said, a Nortorised copy of Passports cover every eventuality, as Mrs. T. and myself have done now for years. Its very cheap to have done (certainly less than 10 euros when we did ours) and is simplicity itself. We also did our Certificate as well. In fact come to think of it we,ve done all of our documents to safeguard against loss or theft!

Suej
27-01-2013, 16:31
Probably a question to bring up at the Consulate roadshow, but in advance let me ask anyway. If Brits need to carry their passports as proof of ID here (along with the non photo-bearing green registration certificate), what happens if you need to send your passport away for up to 6 weeks when you renew? I presume using your credit card etc is near impossible in a shop during this period, not to mention if you want to hop to another island or the mainland. Has anyone found a way around this dilemma?

I have never been asked in a shop for my passport, they don't even want to look at my driving licence anymore! Do you have a chip and pin debit/credit card? I also have a copy of my passport made card size but never been asked for that either! I have been here nearly 9 years!

Megaloo
27-01-2013, 17:26
I have never been asked in a shop for my passport, they don't even want to look at my driving licence anymore! Do you have a chip and pin debit/credit card? I also have a copy of my passport made card size but never been asked for that either! I have been here nearly 9 years!

I also carry a copy of by passport (card size) but I use my driving license. the only shops now that still ask for ID when paying by debit card are Lidls and Alcampo that is here in the North. I did argue with the girl in Alcampo that with a chip and pin it is not necessary but she still wanted ID.

Suej
27-01-2013, 18:21
I also carry a copy of by passport (card size) but I use my driving license. the only shops now that still ask for ID when paying by debit card are Lidls and Alcampo that is here in the North. I did argue with the girl in Alcampo that with a chip and pin it is not necessary but she still wanted ID.

I have to be honest it might be I've paid cash most times in those two shops as I rarely buy much in either! I do remember last time we used our Banca March debit card in the self service check out in Alcampo and it was OK! I can understand the odd store asking for ID but surely not a passport!

You must have a shifty look about you Megaloo! (only joking):wink2:

cainaries
27-01-2013, 23:16
Have to show our passports here in hillbilly country to pay with a card. Have got completely resigned to carrying mine with me ... at least I know where it is! Have to show it in the bank and in all supermarkets. Only shops where they actually know us do they politely wave it away saying, oh, no need.

kingbaker
28-01-2013, 00:09

They probably recognise you from he WANTED Posters!!:whistle::whistle:

Suej
28-01-2013, 13:20

Nah! they just know I'm rich and famous! :raspberry:

kingbaker
28-01-2013, 17:37
Nah! they just know I'm rich and famous! :raspberry:

I only shop where they don't ask for passport. I ever carry mine with me.

Anyhow how famous are you? Should I be bowing when I see your name in print? :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own:

slodgedad
29-01-2013, 00:19
Not that I'm asked for it very often I always carry mine.

It's the only thing I have with a photo in it.

The joke is that the photo is so faded it could be anyone.

Before anyone mentions bio wotsit passports,minewas obtained 9 years ago through the consulate when a picture of yor cat would have passed.

9PLUS
29-01-2013, 04:25
Ive got the policía in my pocket

Malteser Monkey
29-01-2013, 10:41

Shhhh she's a page 3 girlie :crazy:

Suej