PDA

View Full Version : Relocation For all you expats. Could you get back into the UK?

delderek
27-01-2013, 20:07
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9829808/Can-you-pass-the-British-immigration-exam.html

primrose
27-01-2013, 20:17
How did you do?

Applicants for British citizenship will be expected to answer 75% of 24 questions correctly.
You scored 100%! They will have the red carpet out for me.

canarybird
27-01-2013, 20:49
Well being Canadian I scored just 80%.

But I wonder how many British would score that on a similar test to enter Canada. :whistle: Just kidding!

cressrt
27-01-2013, 21:04
The questions are very easy if you are from UK you should get 100%!

marbro8
27-01-2013, 21:11
yippie i can stay:jumping: well until i retire anyway, then they can keep it:laugh:

dede
27-01-2013, 21:24
Good job i got 100% seeing as i am returning in a months time..haha....

Pooh
27-01-2013, 21:56
Got 80%, but I've never lived in UK, nor any part of the commonwealth...

marbro8
27-01-2013, 22:19
no disrespect to all you non uk residents, (i am impressed by your knowledge of my homeland):wink2: but if it really is that easy what's the point:dontknow: it just means that anyone with just a little knowledge of the uk will pass:confused:

Suej
27-01-2013, 22:30
I'm in!!! got 100% nearly went wrong on the blady first question! I did have to think about it! :nails:

cainaries
27-01-2013, 22:46
That's only 10 of 24 .. what are the other 14 like, they might be difficult!

Pooh
27-01-2013, 23:08
no disrespect to all you non uk residents, (i am impressed by your knowledge of my homeland):wink2: but if it really is that easy what's the point:dontknow: it just means that anyone with just a little knowledge of the uk will pass:confused:

In my home country (Sweden) there is no requirement for neither any such knowledge at all (no test required), nor is even knowledge of the language to become citizen, so what's the problem?

marbro8
27-01-2013, 23:18
In my home country (Sweden) there is no requirement for neither any such knowledge at all (no test required), nor is even knowledge of the language to become citizen, so what's the problem?the problem is pooh you havn't got hundreds of thousands of people from disadvantaged european countries trying to enter your country either legally or illegally looking for hard to find jobs? i am not being discriminate it is just simple economics:dontknow::)

Pooh
27-01-2013, 23:22
the problem is pooh you havn't got hundreds of thousands of people from disadvantaged european countries trying to enter your country either legally or illegally looking for hard to find jobs? i am not being discriminate it is just simple economics:dontknow::)

Sweden doesn't??
It's obvious you know much less about Sweden than I know about UK.
Perhaps not in real numbers, no, but in % of the population - FAR more!
Not only from European countries even - when it comes to Refugees from places Like Iraq - where you waged a war together with US - and now Syria, Sweden received more than any other European country.

Edit:

In 2010, 14.3% of the population in Sweden was born in another country. The same figure for UK was 11.3%.

marbro8
27-01-2013, 23:44
Sweden doesn't??
It's obvious you know much less about Sweden than I know about UK.
Perhaps not in real numbers, no, but in % of the population - FAR more!
Not only from European countries even - when it comes to Refugees from places Like Iraq - where you waged a war together with US - and now Syria, Sweden received more than any other European country.

Edit:

In 2010, 14.3% of the population in Sweden was born in another country. The same figure for UK was 11.3%. i know you only have 9.5 million population as opposed to nearly 70 million here in the uk, and it sounds like you blame us for all your refugee problems? we have no control over who our government go to war with, whether we agree with it or not

Pooh
28-01-2013, 00:28
i know you only have 9.5 million population as opposed to nearly 70 million here in the uk, and it sounds like you blame us for all your refugee problems? we have no control over who our government go to war with, whether we agree with it or not

I wasn't saying anything about the politics behind it, other than as a side note. I was just refuting your claim that Sweden doesn't have the problem with immigration that UK has. Counted per capita, and per capita economic impact, it certainly has, even without an ex-empire to receive immigrants from.
But I'm an immigrant myself now - in Spain - so I can't complain about migration in general.

TF1
28-01-2013, 16:30
the problem is pooh you havn't got hundreds of thousands of people from disadvantaged european countries trying to enter your country either legally or illegally looking for hard to find jobs? i am not being discriminate it is just simple economics:dontknow::)

You mean like those from the UK who move to Spain? Who donīt learn the language / history / culture / political system etc.? Who listen to UK news on English radio and pay through the nose to watch UK TV? Us British ex-pats should be the very last race of people to highlight the lack of integration from other Europeans.:laugh:

junglejim
28-01-2013, 16:43
My god the Swedish Vikings always knocked before they entered- how polite!
http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasbord/smorgasbord/society/history/vikings.html

marbro8
28-01-2013, 18:47
I wasn't saying anything about the politics behind it, other than as a side note. I was just refuting your claim that Sweden doesn't have the problem with immigration that UK has. Counted per capita, and per capita economic impact, it certainly has, even without an ex-empire to receive immigrants from.
But I'm an immigrant myself now - in Spain - so I can't complain about migration in general.there is nothing wrong with being an immigrant pooh if you don't expect hand outs from your adopted country:wink2:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

You mean like those from the UK who move to Spain? Who donīt learn the language / history / culture / political system etc.? Who listen to UK news on English radio and pay through the nose to watch UK TV? Us British ex-pats should be the very last race of people to highlight the lack of integration from other Europeans.:laugh:i knew someone would bring that up:laugh: well if and when i retire to tenerife i won't be expecting to either get a hand out or pay me a living i will actually be putting my hard earned pension into their economy, i am also trying to learn spanish and as for hystory i know that if lord nelson had fought a bit harder we wouldn't be having this conversation:laugh::laugh:

Fivepence
28-01-2013, 18:52
there is nothing wrong with being an immigrant pooh if you don't expect hand outs from your adopted country:wink2:

i knew someone would bring that up:laugh: well if and when i retire to tenerife i won't be expecting to either get a hand out or pay me a living i will actually be putting my hard earned pension into their economy, i am also trying to learn spanish and as for culture i know that if lord nelson had fought a bit harder we wouldn't be having this conversation:laugh::laugh:

I think your last statement should kill this discussion Marbro, without the handouts I don't think many would have come to the UK. :agree:

Pooh
28-01-2013, 19:04
My god the Swedish Vikings always knocked before they entered- how polite!
http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasbord/smorgasbord/society/history/vikings.html

Swedish Vikings who at all left Sweden were mostly merchants, trading with tribes in what today is Russia, (and uniting the tribes, creating Russia), and going down to Miklagard (Istanbul), trading.
It was Norwegians and Danes who went to UK and Ireland, doing whatever they did there...

Pooh
28-01-2013, 19:06
there is nothing wrong with being an immigrant pooh if you don't expect hand outs from your adopted country:wink2:

i knew someone would bring that up:laugh: well if and when i retire to tenerife i won't be expecting to either get a hand out or pay me a living i will actually be putting my hard earned pension into their economy, i am also trying to learn spanish and as for hystory i know that if lord nelson had fought a bit harder we wouldn't be having this conversation:laugh::laugh:

Yeah... But it's those handouts that bring the Brits back to the UK, when they no longer can support themselves here.
I'm not saying either system is right or wrong.

marbro8
28-01-2013, 19:09
Yeah... But it's those handouts that bring the Brits back to the UK, when they no longer can support themselves here.
I'm not saying either system is right or wrong.yes but it is those same brits that have paid into the system before they left, and if they didn't then their farthers mothers or grandparents did

TF1
28-01-2013, 20:49

i knew someone would bring that up:laugh: well if and when i retire to tenerife i won't be expecting to either get a hand out or pay me a living i will actually be putting my hard earned pension into their economy, i am also trying to learn spanish and as for hystory i know that if lord nelson had fought a bit harder we wouldn't be having this conversation:laugh::laugh:

Then handouts apart (there are none here), you will be a minority, Marbro.
PS; If the Guanches had fought a bit harder, then who knows who would be ruling these islands. :)

warbey
28-01-2013, 21:01
[QUOTE=Pooh;Edit:

In 2010, 14.3% of the population in Sweden was born in another country. The same figure for UK was 11.3%.[/QUOTE]

Not many in the U.K. believe those figures. It's guesswork. Half came in whilst the undermanned Border Patrol
were on Their Lunchbreak. The rest when no-one was Looking..:mad:

Marianne
28-01-2013, 21:27
100% - i am a 'furiner' but lived in the UK for 39 years :wink: Working very hard and paying my dues btw.

slodgedad
28-01-2013, 22:43
It is a it of a worry to me as I reach 'official retirement age'.

I have lived away from the UK more than half of my life (2 thirds of my working life) and wonder what will happen when no longer function.

Have lived all over Europe, officially and unofficially and am only now worried about my future.

Til now I didn't care as I never contemplated ever retiring as I think it's a killer, but with my present health a 40 hour week is hard.

Fivepence
28-01-2013, 22:46
It is a it of a worry to me as I reach 'official retirement age'.

I have lived away from the UK more than half of my life (2 thirds of my working life) and wonder what will happen when no longer function.

Have lived all over Europe, officially and unofficially and am only now worried about my future.

Til now I didn't care as I never contemplated ever retiring as I think it's a killer, but with my present health a 40 hour week is hard.

We all think we are invincible when we are young Slodge, don't blame yourself.
Good luck.

honda
29-01-2013, 15:13
Getting back to the original post - Could you get back into the UK - Surely if you hold a British passport, you are a Brit. Would you really need to take a test ?

I think that every country should only take in people that speak their native language to a high level (I speak little Spanish btw. Being from the Black Country, English is not easy :wink2:
This knowledge test seems a bit stupid to me. What about people wanting to return, that have learning difficulties etc.

Marbro... Totally agree with your views on hand outs. Wonder how many would be in the UK, if they stopped giving them out.

Malteser Monkey
29-01-2013, 15:22
I got 80% I am well pleased as

"I know nothing"

Got the bloody Union Jack one wrong !:crylaughing: Spent too long away from my Motherland !

honda
29-01-2013, 15:36
Got the jury service question wrong..... Put 21 :dontknow:

Albatros
29-01-2013, 15:41
Then handouts apart (there are none here), you will be a minority, Marbro.
PS; If the Guanches had fought a bit harder, then who knows who would be ruling these islands. :)

In 20 years it may be Moroccan. Using the same arguments that Spain uses about Gibraltar.:whistle:

bonitatime
29-01-2013, 16:03
I Was surprised having been away from the UK for a very long time to get them all right
Not that I would go back to the UK even if it went pear shaped here

Marianne
29-01-2013, 17:04
Wish you all the luck Bonitime - but where would you go if it did indeed go a**e over t*t?

bonitatime
29-01-2013, 17:07
Spain France or maybe Austria

Marianne
29-01-2013, 17:15
Lots of problems in France too, and of course Spain - so not very good prospects. Austria, that's interesting- I've no idea what conditions are like there at the mo with immigration. Good luck anyhow.

bonitatime
29-01-2013, 17:19
My other half is from there so slightly different
Not planning to go anywhere just keep going here. As a Spanish national taken out after 10 years continual residence there is not really anywhere but Spain for me. I have been here to long to be going any where really.

Marianne
29-01-2013, 17:22
You never know - I spent 39 years int he UK, and now back in Eastern France :)