PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted I am thinking of starting a new courier business in Tenerife

kangnkodos
29-01-2013, 10:48
hi all,i am considering starting a small van courier business in tenerife with a view to running from las chafiras to santa cruz,then full circle through puerto de la cruz back to las chafiras,5 or 6 days a week delivering and collecting parcels etc on route.any feedback as to whether you think this could be a viable business would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

doingok
30-01-2013, 12:49
Well i am sure you will get a lot of negative feed back as i have found People to be very negative in Tenerife to someone starting or wanting to start their own business,but if you find your market and do your home work i am sure you will be ok.
When my wife and i came here we asked about starting up 2 businesses to keep us both busy and if we took peoples advice we would never of done what we are doing now and its worked out well for us both.

So best of luck to you

9PLUS
30-01-2013, 13:13
Yeah go for it, it will definitely work you'll be a millionaire within 10 years.

Every business works in Tenerife, nobody has ever failed.

Suej
30-01-2013, 13:41
Pawnbroker business would do well! or a cash converter! You could make the most of the economic downturn!:idea:

doingok
30-01-2013, 13:50
Prime example kangnkodos thanks for proving me right 9plus :laugh::laugh:... if you do not give it a bash you will never know.. but do your home work and research and i am speaking from my own personal experience only. All you need is a van and insurance and advertising costs and of course find your market who they are and go and see them.Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah go for it, it will definitely work you'll be a millionaire within 10 years.

Every business works in Tenerife, nobody has ever failed.

9PLUS
30-01-2013, 14:41
You can do anything in Tenerife

If you do it right.

casabonny
30-01-2013, 17:59
Prime example kangnkodos thanks for proving me right 9plus :laugh::laugh:... if you do not give it a bash you will never know.. but do your home work and research and i am speaking from my own personal experience only. All you need is a van and insurance and advertising costs and of course find your market who they are and go and see them.Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

Not right I am afraid.You will need a Tarjeta de Transporte , Comercial Insurance for the vehicle and carriage of goods, along with social payments , registration with Hacienda for your activity and pay taxes, something a lot dont do .
I am not saying dont do this but you need to research a lot more before embarking for example are you a fluent Spanish speaker, would you only be serving the ex pat market, will you carry hazadous goods ie gas etc in which case you would need a licence to carry such goods.

Doingok always seems to have something to say but I am not quite sure that he has the full long term experince on the island that 9 plus and myself have ,I am sure he will correct me if i am wrong.What we are merely doing is pointing out the pitfalls etc .

9PLUS
30-01-2013, 18:22
One of the only ways you'd make this work is by working overspill for the major boys.

Commerical rates are very cheap inter island, they make their cash via volume.

It's a difficult one, ever small stuff like letters don't happen much due to the Internet.

golf birdie
30-01-2013, 19:01
One of the only ways you'd make this work is by working overspill for the major boys.

Commerical rates are very cheap inter island, they make their cash via volume.

It's a difficult one, ever small stuff like letters don't happen much due to the Internet.

it will be almost impossible to make money from this business unless you throw 100's of thousands into it. I can send a small parcel to Santa cruz for next to nothing and it gets there very fast. There is no way it will work small time as the advertising would eat any profit and more.

Then again, plenty have started their own taxi business here with just a old clapped out corsa:)

9PLUS
30-01-2013, 19:31
it will be almost impossible to make money from this business unless you throw 100's of thousands into it. I can send a small parcel to Santa cruz for next to nothing and it gets there very fast. There is no way it will work small time as the advertising would eat any profit and more.

Then again, plenty have started their own taxi business here with just a old clapped out corsa:)

I concur i didn't want to sound negative

blueeyes
30-01-2013, 20:30
Doingok helped me out

doingok
30-01-2013, 20:52
As i have said look in to it to make sure you can make it work,social payments easy to sort out we pay ours through our accountant, Insurance didn't think it had to spelled out that it would have to be Commercial Insurance if it did then i wouldn't even start thinking about this venture? Forgot about this Tarjeta de Transporte but that would come under home-work and research. Casabonny you are right have a lot to say and we have not been on this island Long to a lot of people but we have worked heard and if we had listened to every one on here we wouldn't be running our own little businesses, and been ripped off with companies over charging to change name on cars and so on you learn fast and then realise how easy it is done.Yes i know i have put so companies nose out of joint like motorworld by posting about how easy it is to change names on cars but i like to help people out and all people on the island seem to do is over charge and want to rip you off i think i have help over 15 now FREE so i have done my bit.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

your Welcome anytime

Doingok helped me out

CIM
30-01-2013, 21:49
I think if people come on here and ask the question then they have to be open minded enough to accept that they might not hear what they want to hear.
A big mistake to make I find, is considering that anything that can be construed as a downside is a "negative" - its not, its just part of the information that you have asked people to provide. There´s no point knowing all the good bits and everyone being supportive if no one bothers to tell you all the bad bits, that's basically giving false hopes to people.

The old adage "you´ll never know if you don´nt try" is pretty short sighted. For example, I like the Euromillions lottery and quite fancy my chances at winning it. Perhaps next time there is a big rollover, I should sell my house and car, withdraw all my savings, get a bank loan, borrow from friends and family and spank the lot of thousands and thousands of tickets - because you never know unless you try. And imagine how good it will be if I win - just like all the other lottery winners you see in the papers and on tv....

The reality is, a bit of research will show you its a stupid idea and you are almost definitely going to lose all of your money and end up in a financial mess. I could call the people who warn me about this "negative" except they are not - they are realistic!

So far as this business, I am very much an advocate of staring a business in an industry you have previously worked in. So if you want to start a bakery in Greece or a hairdressers in Tenerife, as easy as it may look from the outside there,s nothing like actual experience of that industry in that country as it may differ hugely from your expectations.

Tenerife - so far as jobs and business, was absolutely nothing like what I expected when I first arrived. the industry I work in here is massively different from the same industry in the UK and USA - completely different in fact. So research is vitally important.

casabonny
30-01-2013, 23:08
[QUOTE=doingok;258689]As i have said look in to it to make sure you can make it work,social payments easy to sort out we pay ours through our accountant, Insurance didn't think it had to spelled out that it would have to be Commercial Insurance if it did then i wouldn't even start thinking about this venture? Forgot about this Tarjeta de Transporte but that would come under home-work and research. Casabonny you are right have a lot to say and we have not been on this island Long to a lot of people but we have worked heard and if we had listened to every one on here we wouldn't be running our own little businesses, and been ripped off with companies over charging to change name on cars and so on you learn fast and then realise how easy it is done.Yes i know i have put so companies nose out of joint like motorworld by posting about how easy it is to change names on cars but i like to help people out and all people on the island seem to do is over charge and want to rip you off i think i have help over 15 now FREE so i have done my bit

Okay doing ok I hope the OP takes your advice and start the business without a tarjeta de transporte and tries to explain to the police why he is carrying good with out the appropriately licence s, NOT .
You obviously think that YOU KNOW BEST so good luck to you but to slag off companies that Re well established with a good reputation and do , what it says on the tin and of course make a living out of it, we'll that's just not on
I could point out some of the abnormailities in your business but I am not into slagging off anyone sorry !

slodgedad
30-01-2013, 23:18
Without trying to upset anyone the point is.

Unless a company, especially one that deals with risk to the client, is totally legal, then you're taking a bigger gamble than any quick profit could ever be worth.

9PLUS
30-01-2013, 23:32
Well said CIM

doingok
30-01-2013, 23:33
I think if people come on here and ask the question then they have to be open minded enough to accept that they might not hear what they want to hear.
A big mistake to make I find, is considering that anything that can be construed as a downside is a "negative" - its not, its just part of the information that you have asked people to provide. There´s no point knowing all the good bits and everyone being supportive if no one bothers to tell you all the bad bits, that's basically giving false hopes to people.

The old adage "you´ll never know if you don´nt try" is pretty short sighted. For example, I like the Euromillions lottery and quite fancy my chances at winning it. Perhaps next time there is a big rollover, I should sell my house and car, withdraw all my savings, get a bank loan, borrow from friends and family and spank the lot of thousands and thousands of tickets - because you never know unless you try. And imagine how good it will be if I win - just like all the other lottery winners you see in the papers and on tv....

The reality is, a bit of research will show you its a stupid idea and you are almost definitely going to lose all of your money and end up in a financial mess. I could call the people who warn me about this "negative" except they are not - they are realistic!

So far as this business, I am very much an advocate of staring a business in an industry you have previously worked in. So if you want to start a bakery in Greece or a hairdressers in Tenerife, as easy as it may look from the outside there,s nothing like actual experience of that industry in that country as it may differ hugely from your expectations.

Tenerife - so far as jobs and business, was absolutely nothing like what I expected when I first arrived. the industry I work in here is massively different from the same industry in the UK and USA - completely different in fact. So research is vitally important.

Well CIM this statement is a totally ridiculous thing to say who would even think of selling their house to try and win the lotto.and starting any business here anywhere is a risk and again research is a must no matter where you are in the world and to see if there is a market for whatever you want to do,so thank you for agreeing with me that research is a must not just here in Tenerife but anywhere in the world, and if kangnkodos does their research/home-work and he still wants to try then why not but if he finds that is a no- goer then do not do it but if my wife and i listened to all the very negative comments when we asked then we would not have done what we are doing now and its working for the both of us.so The old adage "you´ll never know if you don't try" is pretty short sighted is crap, being short sighted is listening to other people and not trying IF YOU THING ITS RIGHT. i have never known a community to put down anyone who wants to try something yes give them advice but its not advice you get its a no starter to many people doing it or selling it, no one has any money,which we got. Yes its hard work put worth it.

CIM
30-01-2013, 23:37
Well CIM this statement is a totally ridiculous thing to say who would even think of selling their house to try and win the lotto.and starting any business here anywhere is a risk and again research is a must no matter where you are in the world and to see if there is a market for whatever you want to do,so thank you for agreeing with me that research is a must not just here in Tenerife but anywhere in the world, and if kangnkodos does their research/home-work and he still wants to try then why not but if he finds that is a no- goer then do not do it but if my wife and i listened to all the very negative comments when we asked then we would not have done what we are doing now and its working for the both of us.so The old adage "you´ll never know if you don't try" is pretty short sighted is crap, being short sighted is listening to other people and not trying IF YOU THING ITS RIGHT. i have never known a community to put down anyone who wants to try something yes give them advice but its not advice you get its a no starter to many people doing it or selling it, no one has any money,which we got. Yes its hard work put worth it.

Did you even read my post?
If you did, did you actually understand the analogy or the points I was making???!

slodgedad
30-01-2013, 23:38
Noone as far as I can see is putting anyone down.

Genuine advice, especially legal, is priceless.

doingok
30-01-2013, 23:39
I totally agree with this statement but the OP is only ask what people think and since i ask this question a long time ago and watched other do the same i knew what was coming.

Without trying to upset anyone the point is.

Unless a company, especially one that deals with risk to the client, is totally legal, then you're taking a bigger gamble than any quick profit could ever be worth.

9PLUS
30-01-2013, 23:47
I was thinking of opening a chocolate balloon shop

warrareckon?

Should i start another thread?

CIM
30-01-2013, 23:50
I remember commenting on a similar thread a year or two ago and I mentioned having some semblance of a business plan to at least work from so you have an idea of where you are and where you are trying to get to - I was lambasted by an established bar owner who was doing well for herself. She harped on about how ridiculous this was and that was and how silly things like a "business plan" were - all theory and cliche apparently.
She closed about a year later...

Business at its core is the same the world over - most people are unprepared and most people do fail - even those with experience.
Its Ok "having a go" but you´re an idiot to "have a go" if the odds are stacked firmly against you, you have no idea what you are doing and you basically need to "get lucky" (which some people of course will) in order to succeed - kind of like the lottery.

For me, its all about doing what I can to improve those odds to the point where its worth the investment, where my odds are better than my competitors and I am at least more likely to win than I am to lose.

slodgedad
30-01-2013, 23:50
I was thinking of opening a chocolate balloon shop

warrareckon?

Should i start another thread?

Naa...................

doingok
31-01-2013, 00:05
casabonny eh where did you get that i have told him to start a business ?????????????????????????????????? what i have said is do your home-work/research end of and good luck,and i have not slagged any one off that all and if you mean motorworld i have never had nothing to do with them, i have with a company like them and was totally ripped of by but i have not called anyone, in any business,like i have said its heard making money anywhere, never mind here, and all this sh.. cause OP is wanting to start a business is a joke so my first post was spot on,give the Op advice, good and bad and right advice and if the OP does his research and starts his business then he will have all the right licences needed let the OP make the decision if its worth it are not but good luck to the OP what ever you do.

[QUOTE=doingok;258689]As i have said look in to it to make sure you can make it work,social payments easy to sort out we pay ours through our accountant, Insurance didn't think it had to spelled out that it would have to be Commercial Insurance if it did then i wouldn't even start thinking about this venture? Forgot about this Tarjeta de Transporte but that would come under home-work and research. Casabonny you are right have a lot to say and we have not been on this island Long to a lot of people but we have worked heard and if we had listened to every one on here we wouldn't be running our own little businesses, and been ripped off with companies over charging to change name on cars and so on you learn fast and then realise how easy it is done.Yes i know i have put so companies nose out of joint like motorworld by posting about how easy it is to change names on cars but i like to help people out and all people on the island seem to do is over charge and want to rip you off i think i have help over 15 now FREE so i have done my bit

Okay doing ok I hope the OP takes your advice and start the business without a tarjeta de transporte and tries to explain to the police why he is carrying good with out the appropriately licence s, NOT .
You obviously think that YOU KNOW BEST so good luck to you but to slag off companies that Re well established with a good reputation and do , what it says on the tin and of course make a living out of it, we'll that's just not on
I could point out some of the abnormailities in your business but I am not into slagging off anyone sorry !

9PLUS
31-01-2013, 00:08
Lets take a step back people

doingok
31-01-2013, 00:11
I do find you funny 9plus hahaha i think will just stick my ice cream van and not comment any more haha
and i came to tenerife for an easy life.

Naa...................

timmylish
31-01-2013, 00:31
Before starting any new business or seeking the advice of "experts" I alway think it handy that, no matter the particular language being used it should, at the very least, be coherent, atriculate and understandable. My concern is always that if you cannot be articulate in your own language how on earth can you possibly be in another, foreign language?

golf birdie
31-01-2013, 01:21
I learnt a long time ago, the newer to Tenerife you are the more you know:wink:

Andy0210
31-01-2013, 01:47
I do find you funny 9plus hahaha i think will just stick my ice cream van and not comment any more haha
and i came to tenerife for an easy life.

Is that your ice cream van parked in Fañabe of a night time ???

Sorry, just being nosey now :)

doingok
31-01-2013, 09:03
haha no andy but that's how i got started in business over 25 years a go. ended up with a fleet of them then sold them and moved on to bigger things But isn't it crazy how someone giving a positive reply can be turned upside down and twisted.just glad we do our own thing,been coming here for years and this forum like the old one has not charged one bit.It is without a doubt a dog eat dog place here but if you have to make a living to stay here then it must be a hard job and envy no one that has to do it we do what we do out of boredom, and now looking into other things but has i said on my first reply to the OP RESEARCH/HOME-WORK HAS TO BE DONE AND A LOT OF IT before you throw money in to anything not just here, personnel i love a challenge and as long as i have a hole in my backside i will always be looking for them. might buy a ice cream van Mmmmmm that would bring back some good old memories when i started back then i used to sell a 10p ice cream cone haha i wonder if i would get it passed the wife lol

Is that your ice cream van parked in Fañabe of a night time ???

Sorry, just being nosey now :)