PDA

View Full Version : Relocation There appears to be a mass exodus from Tenerife

dede
29-01-2013, 14:04
We have been here on the island for ten years and now we have decided to return to the UK next month for good, there isnt one particular reason for our move but we just feel now is the right time for us and i cant wait. Since we have told people our plans im absolutly amazed at how many others who want to do it and are considering it this year and how many are actually going themselves. I know i will miss things from Tenerife as i have had a nice life here but i just cant wait to live what i call a normal life again. Are there any other forum members that are going this year?

Fivepence
29-01-2013, 14:10
:goodluck: Dede.

Malteser Monkey
29-01-2013, 14:13
We have been here on the island for ten years and now we have decided to return to the UK next month for good, there isnt one particular reason for our move but we just feel now is the right time for us and i cant wait. Since we have told people our plans im absolutly amazed at how many others who want to do it and are considering it this year and how many are actually going themselves. I know i will miss things from Tenerife as i have had a nice life here but i just cant wait to live what i call a normal life again. Are there any other forum members that are going this year?

Good luck Dede - it's not all bad news over here - it worked for me and as much as I miss the beaches, sun and wonderful food etc etc you just adapt. There's always holidays

A good set of thermals, brolley and wellies - you'll be fine !

May I ask what area you are moving back to ? Don't answer if you don't

Best of luck

Tickey
29-01-2013, 14:14
No thank goodness - if we left here for any reason it would not be to the uk! :wink2:

Suej
29-01-2013, 14:19

I wish you well dede! :wave:

TF1
29-01-2013, 14:24

If you don´t feel "right" somewhere, then you are foolish to stay. You know both Tenerife and the UK, so are making an experienced judgement. A good friend of mine recently left Rhodes to return to the UK after 9 years. He found it hard to re-adapt at first, but is now better than ever, and tells me that although he would not return to Rhodes to live, he would never regret his time there.
As for me, I've lived most of my life in Spain and the Canary Islands, and on the rare occasions which I'm obliged to visit the UK, I feel uncomfortable, marginal and far away from my home. So I understand why many ex-pats may feel the same whilst away from their homeland.
Good luck! ;-)

ArtyWendy
29-01-2013, 14:34
Good Luck dede! But for everyone that leaves there will always be other like me and my hubby that are on their way in the opposite direction and about to arrive in Tenerife!

megsdad
29-01-2013, 14:40
good luck Dede

dede
29-01-2013, 14:47
Good luck Dede - it's not all bad news over here - it worked for me and as much as I miss the beaches, sun and wonderful food etc etc you just adapt. There's always holidays

A good set of thermals, brolley and wellies - you'll be fine !

May I ask what area you are moving back to ? Don't answer if you don't

Best of luck

Yes we are going back to merseyside.:jumping:.........

Fivepence
29-01-2013, 14:50

At least there will be loads of friendly people around Dede. :tiphat:

dede
29-01-2013, 15:00
Just noticed fivepence you live in wigan, my daughter who is coming with us is going to live in winstanley , wigan. could be neighbours..

Malteser Monkey
29-01-2013, 15:01

At least there will be loads of friendly people around Dede. :tiphat:

To our North Western territory !

If you need carpets we know just the fella !:whistle:
TOTO 99

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just noticed fivepence you live in wigan, my daughter who is coming with us is going to live in winstanley , wigan. could be neighbours..

She has time to change her mind:whistle::cheeky:

seanocelt
29-01-2013, 15:03
i did it and after 13 years away i returned to Tenerife again, and would say less than 20% of the people i knew in my first stint have stayed on. Seems the norm, folks come over and stay varying amounts of time, but the majority do return to their homeland.

Fivepence
29-01-2013, 15:08

It's not too far from me Dede, about 5 miles.
If her OH likes football he has lots of choice within a 25 mile radius, not forgetting the RL clubs...........happy days.:)

chifleta
29-01-2013, 16:01
good luck Dede.... I couldn't imagine ever moving back to UK, but I know i'm one of the lucky ones here - considering some of my closest friends said of my impulsive move over here following my Spanish barman "give it a month and she'll be back" ... as the saying goes, 20 years later, the rest is history :)

ps i've noticed a mass exodus of South Americans.... which is so nice, not so much Regetton music blaring from apartments and cars :blast:

Balcony
29-01-2013, 17:35
Good luck, Dede. We sold our apartment, with the view to buying a larger place, but have decided to stay in the UK (for now....).

TOTO 99
29-01-2013, 17:59
good luck Dede.... I couldn't imagine ever moving back to UK, but I know i'm one of the lucky ones here - considering some of my closest friends said of my impulsive move over here following my Spanish barman "give it a month and she'll be back" ... as the saying goes, 20 years later, the rest is history :)

ps i've noticed a mass exodus of South Americans.... which is so nice, not so much Regetton music blaring from apartments and cars :blast:

AAwww Chiffy you're gonna miss this when they go...:laugh:.....Turn it up nice & loud now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu5PZugNiJU

jogger321
29-01-2013, 19:53

Obviously I have no idea what part of the UK you are planning on living in. Yes there are still some nice parts but many parts resemble a sewer and have changed enormously over the last decade. I would go so far as to say quite frankly I don't recognise the country I was brought up in anymore.

If you speak Bulgarian or Romanian I suspect it could prove extremely useful as from Jan 2014

Good luck with your move.

marbro8
29-01-2013, 20:26
Yes we are going back to merseyside.:jumping:.........merseyside:crazy:watc h out for pickpockets in iceland:laugh::eyebrows: oh! and welcome home dede:wink2:

YOUNG GOLFER
29-01-2013, 21:27
Well I wish you well on your trip back to the UK Dede and hope everything goes well for you.
I don't think there is a mass exodus right now......people come and people go it has been like this for ever in Tenerife.
I would never go back but then that's my and my families choice.
This life for us is normal and I could not think of anywhere in the world where you could have such a great life....but you have to work for that right and it does take a lot of work.
Once again have a safe trip back and all the best.

warbey
29-01-2013, 21:44
Wish You well Dede. Circumstances change, and its unwise to say Never.

Enjoy Your Life wherever You go

timmylish
29-01-2013, 23:22
So sorry to hear of your decision but fully understand it.
The single biggest reason for most people who are returning to the UK (and elsewhere) is age, getting older, the responsibilities to family but most of all, impending death or at least ill health associated with getting older and dealing with the authorities associated with dying, repatriation (to me total madness).
Very personal opinion on this one.

Andy0210
29-01-2013, 23:34
I agree i know of loads of people who are going back soon or have gone back recently, its kind of weird how many are leaving at the moment to be honest.

Hope it goes well for everyone who is leaving and sorry its not worked out for them as they expected.

Vortex Wake
29-01-2013, 23:36
So sorry to hear of your decision but fully understand it.
The single biggest reason for most people who are returning to the UK (and elsewhere) is age, getting older, the responsibilities to family but most of all, impending death or at least ill health associated with getting older and dealing with the authorities associated with dying, repatriation (to me total madness).
Very personal opinion on this one.

People moving back to the UK because of 'impending death' - that's a new one! ;)

All the best Dede for your return to the UK :)

9PLUS
29-01-2013, 23:56
I remember loads of people coming and going 15 years ago

dede
30-01-2013, 08:35
I agree i know of loads of people who are going back soon or have gone back recently, its kind of weird how many are leaving at the moment to be honest.

Hope it goes well for everyone who is leaving and sorry its not worked out for them as they expected.

Well you more than anyone can see how many are going, but on the plus side its keeping you here in a job:eyebrows:

imablue
30-01-2013, 10:23
Good Luck Dede..hope things are good for you....in the UK ..Tara Doug....

Graceylacey
30-01-2013, 11:13
You´re right Dede there seems to be so many people moving back, and people that I never thought would ever go back. I am glad that you are happy with your decision to go back for you and your family as for so many its heartbreaking for them that living the dream turned into a nightmare.

Good luck with your move and I wish you all the best for the future xx

Suej
30-01-2013, 11:25
If I could have the same lifestyle on the same income with the same climate in UK I'd be gone from here in a heartbeat! I can wish I suppose!:) Most of the people I know that have returned are of working ages they have all settled back in UK without any problems or regrets!:)

funhunter
30-01-2013, 13:00
The important thing is not to be under any illusion about places and to stay realistic about what moving back really means. The comment "I can't wait to live a "normal" life again" probably means you never really felt at home here but having done so still makes us see the UK from a different vantage point when we return. In the end life is making the best of what you have and not to expect it to come from elsewhere but I certainly hope that the warmth of the people from Merseyside will help you feel back home. Best of luck!!

Suej
30-01-2013, 13:19
The important thing is not to be under any illusion about places and to stay realistic about what moving back really means. The comment "I can't wait to live a "normal" life again" probably means you never really felt at home here but having done so still makes us see the UK from a different vantage point when we return. In the end life is making the best of what you have and not to expect it to come from elsewhere but I certainly hope that the warmth of the people from Merseyside will help you feel back home. Best of luck!!

Tenerife is a small Island and as lovely as it is it can become monotonous at times IMO! Don't get me wrong I enjoy my life here, love my home and am very happy! it's home for the foreseeable! but who knows when moving here whether it will be a "forever" home! Certainly not for everyone! :)

chifleta
30-01-2013, 13:57
AAwww Chiffy you're gonna miss this when they go...:laugh:.....Turn it up nice & loud now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu5PZugNiJU

this is the sort of regetton i'm on about... take note of the "beat" ... it's the same in EVERY regetton song ughhhhhhhhh does your head in after 1 song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5zdwImXOuo

I wouldn't mind if they shut their windows... when I get really miffed, I stick some opera on.... loud .... or I say to my son, sweetie, you don't have to use your headphones for your bass guitar today if you don't want to..... LOL

People moving back to the UK because of 'impending death' - that's a new one! ;)

All the best Dede for your return to the UK :)

i'm guessing he means going back to either care for a loved one, or someone here who is terminally ill and would prefer to be near family and (especially if they don't speak enough Spanish and don't consider this their home) would prefer to be where doctors speak their language etc etc.... digo yo!!! :dontknow:

my ex boss used to love looking through statistics (i've got a migraine, took 4 goes to spell that right LOL) and he'd predicted the recession start, how long ago? 6 or 7 years ago... he reckoned there was one in Spain every 10 years... I bet he didn't predict it dragging on for so long ....

yes people definately come and go... and over the last 10 years LOTS of people came over, and now over the last year LOTS of them are buggering off again LOL .... you're one of the few people that I know personally from back in those days that is still here and hopefully doing ok :) ... but then you started off frugally, and worked hard ... that's the way to do it.

very nicely put :agree:

kingbaker
30-01-2013, 14:37
this is the sort of regetton i'm on about... take note of the "beat" ... it's the same in EVERY regetton song ughhhhhhhhh does your head in after 1 song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5zdwImXOuo

I wouldn't mind if they shut their windows... when I get really miffed, I stick some opera on.... loud .... or I say to my son, sweetie, you don't have to use your headphones for your bass guitar today if you don't want to..... LOL

I'm sure your son trenmbles when he hears you call! SWEETIE!!:laugh::tiphat:

Marianne
30-01-2013, 14:41
Of course economics, etc, will make a big difference to some. But i wonder to some extent language issues are important. Must say I cannot fathom how anybody can live 5, 10, 20 years in a country, and still not able to communicate with the locals. Not talking about fancy grammar here, just basic conversation. There is of course the difficulty in T, and the Canaries, and even the Balerarics, about local dialect being very different to Castillan, but even so. Perso if I did ever move anywhere, I'd learn standard language first, then try my hardest to speak/understand local dialect as much as poss- to break the barrier.

TF1
30-01-2013, 16:17
Of course economics, etc, will make a big difference to some. But i wonder to some extent language issues are important. Must say I cannot fathom how anybody can live 5, 10, 20 years in a country, and still not able to communicate with the locals. Not talking about fancy grammar here, just basic conversation. There is of course the difficulty in T, and the Canaries, and even the Balerarics, about local dialect being very different to Castillan, but even so. Perso if I did ever move anywhere, I'd learn standard language first, then try my hardest to speak/understand local dialect as much as poss- to break the barrier.

Language is the key to understanding social and cultural aspects of life anywhere, and if an ex-pat is not able to understand those aspects, it is unavoidable that he or she will feel marginalized. Regarding dialect, as long as someone learns Castellano, they will be able to communicate anywhere in Spain, with the exception of a few parts of Catalunya where some people have a chip on their shoulder about the rest of the country and it's language. (In the Balearics, Mallorci , a dialect of Catalan is spoken, but you will be almost always be answered in Castellano if you can speak it).

funhunter
30-01-2013, 16:55
It's interesting to see from various people I keep in contact around the world that everyone feels that now they should move to another country as their own country is going to the dogs. Americans, South Americans, Europeans, they all seem to feel they're in the wrong place due to this "recession". For that reason I prefer to stay put as it's easier here to have a good healthy life on a shoe-string than in many other countries.

zoezoe
30-01-2013, 16:56
Best of luck with the move!! I think we are doing the same and returning to the Emerald Isle in the next few months. Can anyone recommend removal companies? We don't have loads of stuff, bed, tv, baby toys and all the equipment that goes hand in hand with a baby/toddler.

Marianne
30-01-2013, 17:10
Totally, you'll be able to communicate and be understood, but psychologically it will make a huge difference if you can speak and understand some of the local dialect. There is still a lot of resentment about the Castillan take over (see the history of the Guanches- much more recent that we often think). Some locals int he mountains will speak dialect if they don't want you to understand something. Lots of respect and kudos will come with your understanding and using some dialect/local language - the world over.

TF1
30-01-2013, 17:55
Some locals int he mountains will speak dialect if they don't want you to understand something.

In the mountains or in Barcelona. :wink:
In all honesty, apart from Catalunya, Galicia or the País Vasco, all locals hear and understand the same dialect from the TV and Radio, and their local dialects don't help much if they're trying to deal with a South American Telefonica operator, so just about everyone can speak central Spanish very well. Also, the majority of places where ex-pats go are also populated with migrant Spanish from other parts, who manage OK. But yes, is is a good gesture to respect local dialects if your level of Castellano is acceptable.

bonitatime
30-01-2013, 18:47
These are not dialects
Both Catalán and Basque are languages in their own right

slodgedad
30-01-2013, 20:40
Mass exodus is a bit strong, it has never really changed.

People come and people go and it is only when you decide to go that you hear of others doing the same.

Anyway..Good luck,,

Harmonicaman
30-01-2013, 20:46

Yeah, but you're old innit...

TF1
30-01-2013, 20:49
And so are Gallego, Bable and Valenciano (in Spain a dialect is regarded to be a language if literary works have been written with them), but if you read my posts I refer to Mallorci as a dialect of Catalan, not of Castellano, and I did make the point of separating Galicia, País Vasco and Catalunya from the aforementioned "dialect regions".
But .... we seem to be drifting way off topic ....:sorry:

warbey
30-01-2013, 21:17
These are not dialects
Both Catalán and Basque are languages in their own right

I agree with You..

TF1 though makes good points.

I have had a number of Catalunyan Friends. I understood they were Different from just Spanish, and accepted Their beliefs..there are many Accents to hear though..

Unfortunately, This is about Leaving Tenerife.........isn't it.?

dede I do hope You still remain a valued Member of this Forum.?

slodgedad
30-01-2013, 21:20
Off Topic, I know, but Basque is one of the only European languages that is not related to any other..(ie Roman latin)

Harmonicaman
30-01-2013, 21:26
Off Topic, I know, but Basque is one of the only European languages that is not related to any other..(ie Roman latin)

A basque 4475 is related to a teddy 4476

KirstyJay
30-01-2013, 22:10
A basque 4475 is related to a teddy 4476You have too much spare time on your hands... :whistle:

chifleta
30-01-2013, 23:45
Totally, you'll be able to communicate and be understood, but psychologically it will make a huge difference if you can speak and understand some of the local dialect. There is still a lot of resentment about the Castillan take over (see the history of the Guanches- much more recent that we often think). Some locals int he mountains will speak dialect if they don't want you to understand something. Lots of respect and kudos will come with your understanding and using some dialect/local language - the world over.

do you think they speak a dialect here, or just bloody fast? I went to see the familia in the North today, and I made my sis-in-laws laugh, as i'd had a migraine most of the day, and they were speaking so fast and so loud that at one point they looked at me, and I said in Spanish (obviously) "just ignore me, I can't keep up with your speed today so my brain has just switched off", and I went and did some English homework with one of my nephews LOL

i've just asked other half what dialects are here (i've been here 21 years nearly and never heard a dialect), and he said there isn't... maybe you mean accents! OH's nan spoke in a very strong Canarian accent, too me a while to understand her LOL

Marianne
31-01-2013, 10:28
Not sure actually - will do a bit of research. Possibly linked to the old Guanches language. At a very simple level, locals say Gracia, not Gracias. Possibly much more marked in the mountain villages. I do not speak Spanish - my language is French and I speak fluent English (lived in UK for 39 years), good German and passable Italian. If we do decide to spend more time in Tenerife in the future, I'll definitely learn Spanish and do some research on local 'speak'. Gracia :)

TF1
31-01-2013, 11:04
do you think they speak a dialect here, or just bloody fast? I went to see the familia in the North today, and I made my sis-in-laws laugh, as i'd had a migraine most of the day, and they were speaking so fast and so loud that at one point they looked at me, and I said in Spanish (obviously) "just ignore me, I can't keep up with your speed today so my brain has just switched off", and I went and did some English homework with one of my nephews LOL

i've just asked other half what dialects are here (i've been here 21 years nearly and never heard a dialect), and he said there isn't... maybe you mean accents! OH's nan spoke in a very strong Canarian accent, too me a while to understand her LOL

It's not really a dialect here, rather a mild accent with a few odd or S.American words thrown in Ño, Guagua, ect.. The Canarian accent varies from island to island, and is probably strongest in La Gomera, and weakest in El Hierro, where the original settlers were from Central Spain rather than Andalucia. The only words, with few exceptions, which derive from the Guanche race are place names, such as Abona, Arona, Taucho, Adeje, etc. And ...... the only other language taught in these islands other than Castellano is Silbo in La Gomera, if/how that language is written remains a complete mystery to me.
PS: the Canarians really do not talk fast compared with most people from the mainland!

Fred Perry
31-01-2013, 11:49
I have always felt that a crisis in the UK is nothing like a crisis in these parts. Obviously there are some areas of the Uk suffering but generally it is not too bad or things are slowly improving(this is what people tell me or from what I gather on trips back).

A "crisis" for a family in somewhere like Surrey means only being able to take one holiday instead of three a year, not being able to have the full SKY TV package or update their VW Golf car.
In the Canaries it is dramatic with 36% unemployment and 120.000 homes where not one family member has work. Add to that the fact that when the benefit runs out you don´t get any income whatsoever and you can see that a crisis here means that you are really struggling to survive.

People are going back to the UK, maybe not in their masses but more than usual, largely because they have decided that the weather is not everything and their are more opportunities there.
Tenerife is turning into a retirement home. People who have their finances and lives sorted.

Oh, by the way; nothing against the "swallows" or retired residents here but please leave some of the free papers for the rest of us to pick up!!!!!

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2013, 12:34
It's not really a dialect here, rather a mild accent with a few odd or S.American words thrown in Ño, Guagua, ect.. The Canarian accent varies from island to island, and is probably strongest in La Gomera, and weakest in El Hierro, where the original settlers were from Central Spain rather than Andalucia. The only words, with few exceptions, which derive from the Guanche race are place names, such as Abona, Arona, Taucho, Adeje, etc. And ...... the only other language taught in these islands other than Castellano is Silbo in La Gomera, if/how that language is written remains a complete mystery to me.
PS: the Canarians really do not talk fast compared with most people from the mainland!

Canarian is much more comprehensible In my opion

chifleta
31-01-2013, 23:14
Not sure actually - will do a bit of research. Possibly linked to the old Guanches language. At a very simple level, locals say Gracia, not Gracias. Possibly much more marked in the mountain villages. I do not speak Spanish - my language is French and I speak fluent English (lived in UK for 39 years), good German and passable Italian. If we do decide to spend more time in Tenerife in the future, I'll definitely learn Spanish and do some research on local 'speak'. Gracia :)

ahh but that's just missing off a letter, it's not a dialect... for example, in certain areas in England they drop the "t" e.g. *= dropped T "never put a be**er bi* of bu**er on yer knife" (LOL from a well known advert in the 80's and I do the farmer accent very well hehehe, but it's an accent, not a dialect).

Unless I actually also speak this Canarian dialect without even realising hahaha.

I know they don't have a dialect here, that was my point, it was probably just them speaking very fast made it sound to Marianne like a totally different language, that and a strong accent thrown in (my in-laws are from the North, Garachico/Los Silos/La Caleta area, fairly strong accents).

I had someone from mainland think I was actually Canarian ... classic :D