PDA

View Full Version : Other Has anyone get any tips of brewing your own real ale in Tenerife?

marbro8
29-01-2013, 22:30
just ordered my first home brew kit off e-bay i am sick of drinking my favorite ales out of bottles and cans:mad:, has any forum members got any tips on home brewing? i have ordered admirals reserve:cheeky:

Fivepence
29-01-2013, 22:33
just ordered my first home brew kit off e-bay i am sick of drinking my favorite ales out of bottles and cans:mad:, has any forum members got any tips on home brewing? i have ordered admirals reserve:cheeky:

Yes Marbro, hold your nose while you drink it.............it usually stinks.:D

marbro8
29-01-2013, 23:05
Yes Marbro, hold your nose while you drink it.............it usually stinks.:D:laugh:thanks for that mate sounds like £70 down the drain:laugh:

dixie4
29-01-2013, 23:46
Real ale brewing is a love it or hate it pastime a bit like eating Marmite really.
The big secret is the sterilisation of the equipment otherwise the beer will be off before you have time to drink it.
Persevere and, if you are lucky, you may have about 20 pints from a kit that is drinkable.
After my investment for all the gear nesessary to home brew and a lot of failures. I gave it up as a waste of time and effort, as most people do.
Best of luck.

marbro8
29-01-2013, 23:51
Real ale brewing is a love it or hate it pastime a bit like eating Marmite really.
The big secret is the sterilisation of the equipment otherwise the beer will be off before you have time to drink it.
Persevere and, if you are lucky, you may have about 20 pints from a kit that is drinkable.
After my investment for all the gear nesessary to home brew and a lot of failures. I gave it up as a waste of time and effort, as most people do.
Best of luck.ok thanks i wonder if i can cancel my order:(:laugh::laugh:

dixie4
29-01-2013, 23:58
ok thanks i wonder if i can cancel my order:(:laugh::laugh:

Not a bad idea!

LUCKY
30-01-2013, 12:57

Dont brew it too strong , because you may spend youre time laid on the floor, then the next job you discover needs doing is the ceiling as been neglected and requires a lick of paint!!!:flatcap::feret::feret: Ps do let me know how successful you are and of course how it tastes

Malteser Monkey
30-01-2013, 12:59
Best of luck.

So there's the answer Agent LUCKY available for home brewing:cheeky:

clara
31-01-2013, 14:05
Keep us informed how you get on. We have brought a beer kit with us from the uk and haven't had a go yet. Have you ordered the equipment or are you getting it in Tenerife?

poker
31-01-2013, 14:24
You can get Brewing supplies in Santa Cruz at www.cervezarte.es .
Avda Buenos Aires , 114 , local B .

clara
31-01-2013, 14:39
Thanks poker, that sounds like a place worth a visit.

Sundowner
31-01-2013, 14:54
ok thanks i wonder if i can cancel my order:(:laugh::laugh:

Dixie4 is spot on...........most of the one's I have tasted were fit for drain cleaning only!!

Fivepence
31-01-2013, 15:55
Dixie4 is spot on...........most of the one's I have tasted were fit for drain cleaning only!!

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:........... .............don't forget it usually smells of phoo as well SD. :laugh:

marbro8
31-01-2013, 23:38
Keep us informed how you get on. We have brought a beer kit with us from the uk and haven't had a go yet. Have you ordered the equipment or are you getting it in Tenerife?unfortunately clara i still live in the uk:( so ordered off e-bay £70 for nelsons revenge, got whole kit but instructions may as well be in dutch :laugh:

slodgedad
01-02-2013, 02:35
I used to brew my own beer and wine and has been said recently the MOST important thing is sterilize everything.

You are working with yeast which multiplies everything, the good snd the bad.

I always remember my first 8 gallon batch. I was so thrilled. Looked good, smeeled like beer so I invited all my mates round for a sesh.

Half an hour after they got there we all went up the pub and the brew went on the garden.

It was so good it killed my onions and green beans...

marbro8
06-03-2013, 20:09
well it's been about 6 weeks sitting in the garage, so got it out onto the worktop tonight opened the tap put the glass under it poured then tasted, wow!!! it's actually superb, i am well shuffed,taste of a real ale with just a hint of sweetness:yum:, i have only had 2 and my face is on fire :lol: i was a bit worried about it still being cloudy but after reading on the tinternet as long as it tastes ok there is no need to worry? oh well i will soon find out tomorrow morning:eyebrows:, will deffo have another go after this lot has gone, i put so much effort in to sterilising so it looks like it paid off? anyway cheers guys:cheers:

warbey
06-03-2013, 21:30
Hi marbro8 , just found this Thread.

I used to do a lot. If I lived in Tenerife I would definately brew Wine. The warmer it is the faster it Brews.

Beer was My first attempt, and I wanted it strong. Wrong there, it doesnt taste right.

I reckon that siphoning into clean Demijohns whilst brewing is worth doing, as the smell is partially left behind on the Bottom.

Too much sugar when You Bottle it and the Bomb squad will visit'

My final effort was Rice Wine (saki) and some seasoned Drinkers were very friendly whilst supplies lasted.

Practice makes Perfect.....

LUCKY
06-03-2013, 22:03
well it's been about 6 weeks sitting in the garage, so got it out onto the worktop tonight opened the tap put the glass under it poured then tasted, wow!!! it's actually superb, i am well shuffed,taste of a real ale with just a hint of sweetness:yum:, i have only had 2 and my face is on fire :lol: i was a bit worried about it still being cloudy but after reading on the tinternet as long as it tastes ok there is no need to worry? oh well i will soon find out tomorrow morning:eyebrows:, will deffo have another go after this lot has gone, i put so much effort in to sterilising so it looks like it paid off? anyway cheers guys:cheers:
:feret:Sounds good waiting for your reaction tomorrow morning . Will it be the map of Japan. :feret: Or will you feel the bottom is falling out of your world, or will the world be falling out of your bottom,:feret:

warbey
07-03-2013, 21:01
:feret:Sounds good waiting for your reaction tomorrow morning . Will it be the map of Japan. :feret: Or will you feel the bottom is falling out of your world, or will the world be falling out of your bottom,:feret:

Did Anyone warn You, marbro8 about the next Day Headache.?. .:D:devil2::D:tiphat:

LUCKY
07-03-2013, 21:09
:feret:
Did Anyone warn You, marbro8 about the next Day Headache.?. .:D:devil2::D:tiphat::feret:
Yes i was wondering about the health of our beer taster
:feret:

marbro8
07-03-2013, 21:36
:feret::feret:
Yes i was wondering about the health of our beer taster
:feret:hi guys:hi: i was fine this morning but i only had about 4 pints in the end because the tap on the barrel seemed to be blocked? the beer started to slow down when i was pouring it and there didn't seem to be a head on it? and it was very cloudy so i think i am going to have to tip the barrel upside down and take the tap off to clean it out:wink: but what i did drink was lovely:eyebrows:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Did Anyone warn You, marbro8 about the next Day Headache.?. .:D:devil2::D:tiphat:tbh warbey i have been drinking real ale for a while now and i have never had a bad head, i have drunk larger for years simply because it is cheaper and had loads of headaches, i think it must be the chemicals they use in it? but as i get older my taste buds must have gone through a change:lol: i like abbot ale old speckled hen and hobgoblin at the moment:yum: but when we get to the isle in may i will revert back to dorada:lol: